1998 Honda Accord

Based on 1702 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

My 3rd Accord since age 15, LOVE THEM!

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

"There is one guy on here who keeps leaving bad reviews for this car, you know it's him, because he can't spell (the same words.) It is true there were some re-calls on these trannys. But not ALL of them are bad. And we all know, if you routinely maintenance your honda they will run FOREVER. (EX: change oil like your supposed to) My 01 Accord I bought in April, got home to realize mine did have a faulty tranny. Took to Honda dealership, sure enough, it was going bad. Called guy I bought from, he found warranty, had went out 3 weeks before selling to me. Thought I was just totally screwed. My uncle has an import shop and told me to call Honda headquarters because they care about their customers. Happy to report Honda put in a BRAND NEW tranny just to keep me happy with their products. If that isn't a company who cares about their customers, I don't know what is. My car runs like a dream (like all my hondas have) and for the way they treated me, I will ALWAYS stand behind Honda. ALWAYS. You can't go wrong with a Honda!!! -Shelly from Tulsa"

lasts a long time

By on Friday, July 8, 2016

Pros: "extremely reliable"

"I read about the common transmission failures on these v6 models but mine is an LX V6 and it has 210,000 miles and it's still running good. several years ago I had to get the water pump and timing belt replaced and also oddly the front engine mount had to be replaced which was probably $1000-1500 at the time just for the engine mount because they were not done at the same time as the timing belt/ water pump. at 210k the AC still works good. a few years back the alternator went out and I actually replaced it with a rebuilt ebay HONDA ODYSSEY V6 3.5L alternator, it has more amps (130 amps vs the old 90 amps stock) and all you have to do is lengthen the wire connector, but other than that its a straight bolt on. I've pounded on the accelerator a few times trying to race a few cars ever once and a while but for the most part drive it normal and so far no major engine or tranny problems. I replaced spark plugs a year ago and noticed oil in 2 plug holes. I think this means a gasket leak, but I don't know how to replaced the gasket. the oil pump still works but the main seal is leaking slowly for about 1 or 2 years. I have the honda lifetime oil and they warn me about it for a couple years now but I ignore it and it's fine. oil pumps even if the rubber seal is leaking will still work fine, I know now that it can be ignored since this is a high mileage vehicle and changing the pump out is very expensive and labor intensive. I've changed the brake pads and rotors and fuel pump and changed all fluids except oil (because lifetime oil change plus its cheap at walmart anyways) and all of it is easy. to change coolant pull lower rator hose off and open cap to get out coolant in engine block. to change power steering fluid, pull off one of the lines on the reservoir and turn steering wheel full lock until all the fluid comes out, careful dont let it run dry too long. used power steering pumps are cheap even if you somehow do burn it out. I had to buy a rear adjustable camber link kit because the aligmnet on the back was slumped and you cannot adjust the back camber/ toe in. best tires for this car is michelin energy mxv4, they are expensive but last forever and are good in snow and summertime. I pump my tires to 32-34 psi because it seems to be ok and I get less rolling restance. better mpg. tires look good at this psi. replacing hood struts was cheap and easier than I thought. headlights got too faded and installing new ones was easy but took a while to get the proper height angle adjustment because the new ones were aftermarket and have a weird pattern. one major problem is doors lock and unlock themselves when you get in the cand close the door. I had to disconnect the driver's door actuator motor. I replaced the drivers actuator but still no change. I think the key lock senor or whatever module controls the locks has gone bad. it's something related to a computer I'm sure because the door locks themselves work independantly but when first getting in and closing the door they lock and unlock as if there's a ghost inside. I've had to replace the cruise control module computer, it's easy and I use cruise a lot so that could have contributed to the problem. all these problems were easy to fix even the fuel pump in the back which is just a few bolts and you can reuse the sock. I also had to reuse the electronics because I bought the fuel pump for the wrong car. it was for honda luxury brand line instead of for the accord. the motor was bad so that was the only thing wrong with it. the jack points for this accord are not clear. I found some pictures on some sites and the jack point in the back is under the suspension spring bolt in the back. I also had to drill out the retaining philips screws on the rotors when trying to replace them, they are rusted shut"

Ok it has 300000 miles on it by far the best car

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"This car is the best I have ever owned. My first car was a 1951 ford just to give you some idea of how long I have been driving. This Honda is very reliable the tranny west out at 101K miles had it replaced about 10 years ago. Just maintenance since, the change oil every 3K and just try to maintain it. I bought a new 2012 ford certified fusion for my wife so far so good. I just purchased a 2013 Impala LTZ certified for myself want to keep and fix the old Honda bot we can't have 3 cars in a 2 person family. God I hate to see that car go but the time has come just hope the 2 new ones are half as good."

Great, reliable, comfortable, kept up car.

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, roomy, and very reliable"

Cons: "I am not picky so I have no con's."

"This car has had 2 owners, my cousin and myself. Have all maintenance records from both of us. Very reliable as any car would be if you keep the them up. Oil changes done every 3,000 miles, belts changed, transmission flushed, new tires, and brakes where just put on back on 8-17-14, fronts done 3 months ago. Has a some scratches and a little ding on the back door driver side. I have have been very happy with this car. Need to upgrade into a more roomy vehicle."

Fantastic car

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, excellent handling, great sound, classic"

Cons: "Side mirror location"

"Absolutely wonderful, comfortable, economical car. Not one problem with it the whole time I have owned it"

Good vehicle, very satisfied.

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

"I have not had any major problems with my 2001, V6, Honda Accord EX-L. Alloy wheels It has run well, very comfortable riding with great suspension, very quite engine. It has a 6 CD changer, cassette tape deck and AM, FM radio."

Happy Honda Owner

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "excellent quality/value for a reasonable price"

Cons: "somewhat difficult to access the back seat"

"My 2000 Honda Accord coupe has been the best car I have ever driven. From the moment I sat in the driver's seat, I have been impressed with it's comfort and driving ease. I appreciate the stylish body of the coupe. It's a fun car to drive, responsive when you need it to be. I have always felt safe in my Accord.The only reason I am selling this vehicle after 14 years of driving pleasure is that I need four doors now. I have grandchildren and would greatly appreciate an easier way of utilizing the back seat! It's a tight squeeze, especially for adults, to access the back seat, although comfortable once you sit down."

Love my Honda !!!

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "low maint., great engine"

Cons: "poor quality paint job for 1999 models"

"I got this a Honda accord DX 1999 with less than 50k miles on it. Overall great running car. Had transmission replaced cannot say for sure if I cause this problem as I had to use it like a cop car shifting gears back and forth once. I can say that I do know of two others that had transmission problems as well with their Honda's other makes. Kept good basic maintenance on car with oil changes and a product suggested to me called Lucus. This is an oil stabalizer used with oil changes.The engine ran very well ;some time I would get in the car running and attempt to start it up again because engine was so quite.. Once the car started randomly shutting down like it had some sort of electrical problem. This was corrected with replacing some plastic part within the starter; once corrected no more problems. The problem with this year (99) car is the paint job was lousy. My car look like acid has been poured on the top, hood and wear beginning to show on doors. I've seen and talked to others with the same identical paint problems. With my rack and pinion for power steering just replaced and four brand new tire guest what?. Car was totaled. I found the value to replace parts because the car on average was not a problem and engine still sound great. Loved My Honda . RIP !!!"

The most reliable car I ever owned!

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "reliability, service expenses, size, comfort"

Cons: "MPG, outdated design, engine performance"

"I bought this car used from a well maintained environment. All receipts, maintenance was performed by the same Honda dealership. I was confident to take her over with 105K miles in it. I drove an additional 80K miles with the car and kept maintaining by Honda. Compare to other brands Honda dealerships are not that expensive. Oil change with coupons below $30 so why take it anywhere else. I recently changed the timing belt, plugs, wires and valve adjustment and it slides like when I bought the car. The looks are getting outdated so I always play with the idea the upgrade my car, than I realize I drive it till the end whatever! If you can track the maintenance on the car, see the entire history this is the car to buy. Buy it from a matured owner and you will get a vehicle that will take you up to 300K miles. They had a major recall on the transmission and there is a chat on the blogs about it but I never experienced anything bad so far. Of course I change the transmission oil in every 30K miles!"

great auto!!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

"I've owned 5 of this model automobile. All have been great except that the need to replace the timing belt at a certin milage is an awful thing. After replacing it on my last Accord, we had oil leaks constantly and had to get rid of it beacuse it wasn't safe to take on a long trip. It had very little trade-in value even though we bought the same model again!! That's been my major complaint on each car. Otherwise, the've been great"

I Love this car

By on Monday, July 2, 2012

Pros: "Suspension, Controls, Dependability"

"I have the 2000 Honda Accord EX V6 (Signet Silver) I bought this car used in 09, This is my first car and i have had it for 3 years now. It is very dependable for me to travel in going to college (Highway 120 mile trip). My leaher seats are still in perfect condtion (no cracks). And i love that it does not have a antennae (easy for car wash), it has satelite radio but not XM radio and GREAY suspension. I have steering wheel controls to my radio, and garage opener controls. It really offers a lot for a vehicle it's age. I would would recommend this car to anyone for a first vehicle!"

Great Old car!

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, decent performance and great milea"

Cons: "Nothing noted"

"My car is a 2000 EX, MT with 160K miles. Owned since new and after 12 years, the car still drives great. It has some small scratches here and there, but overhall looks good for a car of that vintage. The single most expensive cost of ownership of this car has been tires. I have been running Bridgestone Potenza's, since I removed the original Michelin's 140K miles ago. Replaced battery 3 times, timing belt, water pump, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, several oil changes (every 3K)replaced brakes at 110K miles (still had significant pad remaining). Original suspension, alternator, starter, clutch. Car has been great. I have been looking for something to replace it with, but how can you replace a car that is soooo dependable and fuel efficient (35MPH hwy). I'm going to look at the 2013 Accord, but I'm not sure I want to part with $30K, just to have a new car."

Fantastic car

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Dependable"

Cons: "Too old to have XM radio standard"

"I bought this car new in 2000. My goal was to keep it 15 years, it looks like we'll make that easily. This car is reliable, comfortable, easy to drive and oh yeah, did I mention, RELIABLE. This was my first Honda, but will not be my last. Eventhough this car is 12 years old it still looks amazing."

Great service and reliability

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Constant compliments"

Cons: "only one power outlet"

"Bought with 59 k and not a lick of trouble. All maintenance done. Consistant 28 to 30 mpg highway. Honda is a great product."

Very solid midsize car

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pros: "good mileage, easy to work on, very reliable"

Cons: "cant think of any."

"Our Accord has been very reliable. No maintenance surprises. I have kept up on oil changes, replacing the timing belt and brake service and it keeps going. The only thing that stopped working was the power moon roof will not fully open anymore. Everything else after 275k still works! and it is still very reliable."

great car!!

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "very economical to drive!"

Cons: "Back seat isn't comfortable on long trips."

"Great practical car! Routine maintainence and minor repairs are all I've had to do. I bought it new in 2000 and drive it daily. A great car for the money! Good gas mileage too!"

great car for value; extremely dependable

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "handles great; accelerates well; low maint."

Cons: "a few scrapes; needs brakes"

"gave me lots of good service at low maintenance cost. Should run ok for next 75,000 miles; only 2 sets of brakes in car's lifetime"

132000-199000 miles in 2 years and no mech issues!

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "Holds it's value and is extremely dependable car!"

Cons: "None!"

"Bought a 1998 honda accord ex with 132000 miles on it to commute to work (150m a day) in 2009. 2 years and 70000 miles later - I'm a believer! All I did was regular oil changes (Valvoline) and regular maintenance (timing belt when mileage recommended it). Other than that I have only replaced brakes/rotors - normal wear tear items. Car runs great! Unbelievable! Everthing interior wise still operates perfectly also. Moonroof, AC/Heat, power seats, interior lights, etc. Still averages 29mpg hwy. I don't think I will ever get rid of this car!"

By on Thursday, August 13, 2009

"The engines in these cars are almost bulletproof, although the transmissions are fragile I've owned my 99 accord for about 5 years now and i'm on my 2nd tranny"

Outstanding V-6 Model

By on Thursday, March 12, 2009

"I bought this car V-6 model new in 1998 and have never had anything go wrong with it. It still looks new and performs as a new car. I can't imagine selling it. My previoius car was a Honda Civic that I owned for 15 years and sold it only because I wanted air bags and air conditioning. I sold that car with more than 220,000 miles on it, and nothing was wrong with it. Hondas are great."

Gotta love Accords

By on Saturday, February 7, 2009

"I'm a auto technician who worked on GM's but bought Honda's for their turn key reliablity. I bought my 1998 Accord last year with 114k I replaced the plugs just for maintenance it was running okay but the plugs were completely worn out I don't get it. The rear quarter panels are rusted through which is a common issue but doesn't effect how it drives. Converters are a common issue with high miles. I have the original belts on with 127k and my friend has close to 140k with original belts including the timing belt. Don't sweat the belts unless the overall car looks like it was unmaintained, don't drive like a knob either. You should get them replaced when you have the money though as replacement of the valvetrain will cost a lot more than changing the belts and the water pump which is driven off the timing belt. I have had four Honda's and loved them all best of all they all sold for more than what I paid."

Good car for light travel

By on Friday, December 5, 2008

"A 2002 honda accord was my first car I purchased on my own. I did not know a lot about honda at the time but read how it was a reliable brand as well as higher mpg. The car gets decent mileage at around high 20s to low 30s in the city and mid 30s on highway travel. I have only had to replace a few things (timing belt at 80k miles which can be expensive and something I wish I knew about these cars before I purchased it) and the normal wear and tear of wiper blades, tires etc. No really significant problems My only qualm with this car was it was not comfortable to drive in long distances. I live in des moines and would frequently visit Chicago which is some 300 miles away. My neck and back would usually be sore because the seat really doesn't do a good job keeping the driver positioned behind the wheel. I have never had any breakdowns, stalls or any other major problems. I was also sure to take good care of it with regular mainenance of oil changes every 5,000 miles and keeping the body clean. My car had a 4 cylinder engine but I was still impressed with its pick up. The accord is small so its easy to zip around traffic on the highway, but has enough horse power where if I were to go for that quick burst of speed, it was there. I really don't care about "style" on a car. It looks pretty standard, but if I wanted a flashy car I would have bought a mustang or something similar. Of the options on this car, I would opt for leather again for the comfort but would skip on the moonroof which was noisy and I rarely used it. Overall, I would buy another honda just for the sake of mind that I know my car will start when I need it to. I have seen many of my friends buy cars like saturns, focuses and sebrings and seen them deteriorate rather quickly."

another great Honda!

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2007

"This was the top-of-the-line accord when I got it. I commuted in this car for almost 8 yaers now. The power was & is still present, the milage also terrific (I got 420mi to a tank). It had a few more minor electrical quirks than previous accords I owned such as passenger airbag, shifter & headlight going out early. I attributed this to being a more complicated car than other Hondas put out at the time. It has been ultra-reliable as my hectic schedule did not allow but for the bare minimum required maintenance and a car wash monthly. It is largely responsible for me being able to keep that schedule. It only let me down once when the alternator died @90K - something that never happened to my Hondas before. I cannot stress enough the reliability of this car given the minimum maintenance I gave it. The seats must recieve a compliment too; since I sat in them an average of 1.5 hrs/day: they were soft & plush & never gave me a lower back ache. Luxery was less than its european counterparts but again reliability was a level not attainable by any other make except Toyota!"

None Better

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Regardless of price, I can't think of any other moniker which surpasses this vehicle for value, reliability, comfort, durability, style, servicability, and resale value - this Accord has it all! I'm atill pleased that, with a V6 and auto tranny, and a 'mid-size' (3,500 lb. +) configuration, that in 'real-world' (overall) driving, I'm getting between 23 and 25 mpg - and as high as 32 mpg on the highway. The 3.0 V6 is pure pleasure - gobs of power to spare (floor the pedal, and the front tires will 'spin', and as the tach approaches 'redline', there's a low but pleasant 'growl' of 'authority' as VTEC 'kick in' and you pass everything else!), incredibly smooth, tranny shifts are barely detectable (it is, after all, an Acura-based engine). Typically Honda, everything has that 'just right' look and feel - and exhumes 'quality' with every touch, feel, and sound. Finest vehicle around for ergonomically correct controls and placement. This is my fourth Accord ('86 LXi hatchback was the first) and I'm sold for life on Honda! After 168,000 miles, all works as if the day it was new, and I've spent less than $1,500 in maintenance/repairs. Highly reccomend this nameplate to anyone - regardless of price class. Maintain it properly, and it won't 'break'!"

Nice car

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"This car handles well and honda makes the most reliable car on the market. I bought my car new and have never had anything wrong with it. I would never buy anything but a honda. I get 32mpg highway with the car...it's incredible"