1998 Honda Accord

Based on 1702 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Was Built to Run Forever

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "dependable, good investment"

Cons: "only wish that I'd bought it new."

"Bought this used Accord 10 years. I've put 260,000 miles on it myself. Maintanance has consisted of brakes, battery, starter, alternator & timing belt/waterpump. Plan to get another 650,000 miles out of this workhouse of a car. When it finally is retired, I'll replace it with another Honda!"

Just Keeps going

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "low maintenance, dependable, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "99-02 known for trans issues if not maint. prop."

"This car is low maintanence and very reliable. Only thing I have done to this car is regular routine maintence such as timing belts every 100k,transmission fluid every 30k, oil every 5k (synthetic) and belts. All same original parts. At almost 300k she still drives like new. Look foward to another 200k at least. I know some think thats crazy but after owning a 92 and selling at 450k miles and she is still running I know that this is very much possible with proper maintanence."

Great, Quality vehicle.

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good price, quality OEM parts/fluids"

Cons: "Poor quality OEM Transmission fluid, loses value"

"To sum up, I love this car. It's fun to drive and very reliable. The engine still runs strong and pushes me back in my seat when I floor it. The transmission doesn't slip, stick, or hesitate. The power steering is smooth and responsive. The radiator and water pump does a fantastic job. I have yet to have any ignition issues. Honda uses quality parts and fluids in their accords. I have a few of the typical issues with my particular model. The manual climate control unit has a short and has failed, leaving me stuck with no control over the temperature. I'm putting in automatic climate control from a 2000 EX myself since it's more reliable and pretty awesome. The check engine light stays on for no reason. You can get a free scan from autozone if you want to be sure. I'm putting in a bluetooth OBDII reader in to connect with my laptop to fix this issue as well as monitor the state of my vehicle via the ECU. The only thing that Honda puts in their vehicles that isn't so quality are the Transmissions and transmission fluid. Like I said, I have the BAXA transmission and haven't had any issues, but I put in better ATF to take care of it. The only other issue is that this model of accord doesn't seem to keep it's value very well, despite it's reliability. As a side note, for those that give this or ANY car a bad review but are quite short, it's probably not worth taking their word. Most likely, they haven't taken care of their vehicle like they should, like not changing the transmission fluid, not rotating/balancing tires, not aligning, not changing spark plugs, putting in sub-par engine oil(quaker state or penzoil), riding a flat, or even having the foot on the brakes while pressing the gas. Some vehicles can be legitimate duds, but also keep in mind the user of the vehicle. In conclusion: If you find any Honda with a strong transmission, you've got yourself a good, quality vehicle."

2002 Transmission Problem

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "Excellent handling/speed/fun to drive"

Cons: "2002 Transmission issues"

"I am told that the transmissions in the Honda 2002 era are problematic. My 2002 Honda Ex Accord V6 is great in every other way and I have enjoyed owning it. I would give it a much higher rating if the transmission were not going out. The tranny began slipping about 18 months ago, but I am still driving it. The slipping is limited to just the time between 1st & 2nd gear or when I slow down and almost stop, but need to speed back up again (ie: stopping for a red light that turns green before I come to a complete stop). I have put about 10k miles on it since I first noticed the problem and took it to a transmission shop for an opinion. It is still very drivable if driven softly. I think it will last another year, but will replace it before that time is up. I already have a new owner lined-up (family member/gift) and he is fully aware of the transmission problem but knows that the gifted car is well worth the upcoming repair costs."

This car just works

By on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, drives well"

"I have owned this car for 14 years. I bought a Honda Civic recently and realized how good my old Accord is. The spacing in the vehicle is too good. Reliability is awesome. I now feel I should have stuck with my accord even tho it was 14 years old. Note i have always kept up with the maintenance regularly. Thats all you need for this reliable car."