1998 Honda Accord

Based on 1675 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

2002 Transmission Problem

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "Excellent handling/speed/fun to drive"

Cons: "2002 Transmission issues"

"I am told that the transmissions in the Honda 2002 era are problematic. My 2002 Honda Ex Accord V6 is great in every other way and I have enjoyed owning it. I would give it a much higher rating if the transmission were not going out. The tranny began slipping about 18 months ago, but I am still driving it. The slipping is limited to just the time between 1st & 2nd gear or when I slow down and almost stop, but need to speed back up again (ie: stopping for a red light that turns green before I come to a complete stop). I have put about 10k miles on it since I first noticed the problem and took it to a transmission shop for an opinion. It is still very drivable if driven softly. I think it will last another year, but will replace it before that time is up. I already have a new owner lined-up (family member/gift) and he is fully aware of the transmission problem but knows that the gifted car is well worth the upcoming repair costs."

Great Car !Saved my life

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Was hit the on the driver passanger door & rear by a flat bed tractor trailor truck twice & crossed 3 lanes of trafic & hit guard rail. Only bruces. Insurance would not total it so we had it fixed & I'm still driving it 10 years later. Drives just as good as it did new. Had bought for 5 star safty & v6. Both have paid off. Drives Great ! Planning on keeping it until it falls apart. So far only regular maitance required. No major work done at all. I still enjoy driving it! Drive it everywhere I go. I had no idea that I would still love it after this many years."

Awesome car - 300,000 miles on it and still going

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Great value, long lasting"

"I love this car and wish Honda made the Accord in this style again. It is the most relible car I ever owned. Still driving it back and forth to work daily."

Best car ever made in my opinion

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Interior comfort, ease of use controls, mpg"

"I'm going to admit I used to be a Ford lover, have owned a countless number of Ford vehicles and now have moved onto my new obsession, Honda! The first time I drove the Accord is was like first class compared to my previous 97 Ford Escort wagon. I had to replace nearly every component on the Ford even though I took very very good care of it, it still rotted away. This Honda I bought with low miles and I know it'll last forever. It runs beautifully, the dealer I got it from serviced it and oiled the underneath because up here Salt is a very big problem, it only has a 1" surface bubble which I plan on sanding down and re-painting, (The right way). I just love the interior comfort, I'm a big guy 6'5" and the escort was ridiculously small but economical I drive a LOT so need a reliable car with great gas mileage, this one is almost 2 times larger than the Escort it seems and gets BETTER gas mileage, go HONDA!"

Not the best looker, but great value for the money

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Reason: Wrecked and totalled car. I had to sell it for parts.

Pros: "Great price, great value, great steering"

"I would totally get another 99 Accord when I get another vehicle! If it wasn't for that crash I was in, I expected the car to last another few years and possibly a hundred more thousand miles! Granted, the car wasn't the best looker (I mean, it's not the newest, most techy thing out there), but on a tight budget, it has GREAT value for the money! The parts and mechanics for the car wasn't too bad either. If you keep this car well maintained, you will have a great car for many years!"

After 14 years, I want a frame-off restoration!

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"Even after fourteen years I adore my base-model LX and mourn the fact that because of severe economic setbacks I am unable to indulge my restoration fantasy. Aside from a mysterious electrical problem which periodically drains the battery, this car has been completely reliable and has transported me hither and yon in comfort and (to my eyes at least) style. I wanted a well-engineered, high-quality car that was economical to own and operate, and the car has not disappointed. The dashboard is a text book example of inuitive design and easy-to-use controls, and despite being 6'3" I can sit upright in the rear seat. Amazing. The four-wheel double-wishbone suspension is a delight. As is the high-reving four-cylinder engine. My biggest criticism is the lack of low-end torque. And I would like a little less wind-noise at speed. I remain smitten with the combination of utility, economy, reliability, comfort and style this car has provided--even over an extended period of ownership."

Very reliable, economical car.

By on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Cons: "sun glare off dashboard to front windshield."

"Car is made well with no major repairs after 138,000 miles. Still gets 22 MPG in the city with A/C on (in Texas heat.) I baby it with oil and filter changes every 3,500 miles. Wish it had a drive chain instead of drive belt. I do a lot of the maintenance myself. Best car I ever owned. Very durable and comfortable. I gotta have reliability as wife is handicapped. Can't get stuck anywhere. 2002 was a good year for Honda."

best first car

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

"the 98 Honda accord lx is the best starter car i've owned plus very easy 2 maintain and last forever mine has 195,000 miles and more 2 come but if u put a intake and some platinum tip spark plugs and injector cleaning it will run like it came from the factory"

Not as good as my last Accord...

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"I had an 87 LX Accord for ten years, and it ran like a top with regular oil changes. After that, I was a huge Honda fan, however, this 98 EX 4D V6 is another story. I guess I should not expect too much from a 10-year old car, but in just the past year we've had to address a "hot start" issue (which is still not totally fixed), replace the transmission ($$$), pay the mechanic lots of money to tell us the reason our check engine light keeps coming on is because of the gas cap(?), and just yesterday as we were driving down the street, all the red lights on the dashboard came on. It seems like it's falling apart, with only 145k miles!!"

Good But Not Great

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"I bought my Accord new in 1999, after many years of owning GM products because I was looking for a more reliable car. My chief complaints about my GM vehicles were that they always leaked engine fluids, required lots of maintenance and they always rusted before reaching 100K miles. My Accord now has 102K miles and the engine runs like new without any leaks! Unfortunately, I have had problems with body rust on the inside of the rear fender wells on both sides. This cost me $800 in body work repairs in 2007. I have also been disappointed with the general level of maintenance required with my Honda. I have had to obtain repairs to the pollution control system (very expensive), brakes, replace the battery and alternator, replace the radio due to defective CD unit, rear window defroster and a number of other items. This is in addition to the normal required maintenance schedule. Admittedly, my expectations have been high for a Honda, but I don't drive my cars hard so there shouldn't be a lot of problems. Overall, given the price of the car I would say that the car has been a tremendous value, but it has certainly has not lived up to the low maintenence reputation for which Honda has become known."