1997 Honda Accord

Based on 813 Ratings for the 1994 - 1997 models.

unbeatable reliability

By on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pros: "great camping vehicle, good gas mileage,"

Cons: "low to ground, remote door locks"

"No engine, trans, problems. just routine maint....changed timing belt every 75K, adjust valves every 100K, 1 new starter, no alternator replaced, factory battery 6 yrs 125K,...replaced radiator and cooling fans, distributor gasket replaced...speed sensor for cruise control and speedo new....rack and pinion seal leaks...2 set of front rotors..no calipers....GREAT CAR..station wagon was only built for 3 yrs...bigger...rear seat folds down."

The honda dream

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive great on gas and holds value very wll"

"bought this car for 3100$ about 1000$ more then what kbb appraised it for and i gotta say no regrets with only 120000 miles on it ill drive the car for a couple of years and get back close to what i paid for it very smooh strong engine. they need to make more cars like this not only is it extremely reliable good on gas and cheap to fix it can also be upgraded to a speedster >:)"

good first car

By on Thursday, December 17, 2009

"i love my car even though its older, its never lets me down. As long as you change the oil and keep the maintaince up your good to go. my friend had the same car and it lasted her up to 585,000 miles i couldnt beleive it. its a great car."

Car should last a lifetime

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"I have this car for 12 years and now has 208,000 miles on it. Basically doing all the fluid change oil, tranny, anti freeze. Replaced some parts due to wear and tear but no major problem with the engine and transmission. Now the car is given to my 18 year old son for his first car. It is still running strong just as the time I bought it. Probably will get another hundred thousand miles w/o problem. Now I have another Accord a 2002 that I bought used. Compared with the 96 the 2002 has better engine but lousy tranny. I realized how good the 96 tranny when I looked at the dipstick it is still purple red and it shifts smoothly. I would recommend the 1996 Accord to anyone looking for a good reliable used car."

My Favorite Car

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Reliability"

Cons: "Rust"

"I purchased this car used in 2003 for $4,500 with 54,000 miles on it. The woman I purchase it from told me that it was her "favorite car" but that her husband purchased a new car for her every ten years. I'd had a lot trouble with my previous used cars. At the time, I was looking for something to last me the next 4 or 5 years. It is now 2014 and I still drive my Accord every day. This car has outperformed all of my expectations and I love driving it! The only major downside is the rust; the majority of the repairs and replacements I have had to make are due to rust and I can take it through a carwash in fear that I am going to lose a piece or two. The interior is in great condition though a few lights have gone out on the dash and the radio takes a while to tune in... AC still blows cold, engine keeps going. Progressive styling (for 1994) hides it's true age. Still very comfortable for long road trips. Handles alright on ice with snow tires. I am no longer a poor student and can afford a new vehicle but I can't let go of a car that has served me so well."

Like the Everready Bunny

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Transmission, reliability, maint, driving in snow."

Cons: "Exterior rust-proofing."

"My 1st Honda Accord, and probably not my last. Starts up the 1st time every time. During this past winter was my car of choice (FWD) to take it through the ice/snow; no problems. Has 232K+ miles however, feels like it's ready for another 100K (proper maintenance always a plus). I've noticed that there is a rust issue on these cars around the passenger exterior wheel well area; plan on fixing that issue myself when the warmer weax arrives. Not very fast on initial acceleration however, maintains quality/necessary speed after approx 5 seconds (50-60 MPH). Gas mileage is average to slightly above avg for this make, model, and year. Xmission still runs very smooth however, evident that it's not of new shifting condition. Passenger tie rod replacement due in the near future; I may take it on or just have my mechanic resolve. Overall, very happy with the 96 Accord LX. Would definitely purchase again."

A really great car

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "Excellent value, keeps on going!"

"This car just keeps on going! It's awesome. And great mileage. Roomy enough in both front and back. Not too large overall, a problem with some newer model years. Not luxurious but very workable and comfortable. Great sized and easy to access trunk. Love all the window glass--Honda has streamlined new 2013 models and taken away too much of the glass. I like seeing all the way around! Only have one glitch that is a problem in coastal climate winters- so I think is a problem for just this car, not the whole model year. --windows fog up inside and it takes turning on the air conditioner to get them clear, the heater defroster takes too long. This model year should be used as a baseline. Easy to maintain inside. Looks a little worn outside but just hard to give up a real winner."

I should have bought two when new

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "grease the wheels lips to prevent Honda rot"

"This has great gas mileage and a large hatch for hauling. the engine revs freely and even with 195mm tires it holds the road great. The interior has held up extremely well considering it is 17 years old. It looks like new except for the driver side factory mat that is worn. The carpeting below the mat is flawless. The only issue is the radio antenna no longer extends fully but still provides excellent reception on both am and fm."

Still runs very good for a 16 yr old car

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

"The automatic lock is messing up and sometimes the automatic window control is slow to respond but other than that the car still runs smoothly. It still gets me to places without breaking down or over heating. I just have to give the car proper maintenance service (oil change and such) and it gives back the pleasure of one comfortable ride."

Best Design of 1995

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "reliable, budget friendly, great look"

Cons: "paint faded"

"I'd have to say this car is the most newer looking car of the 90's unlike the boxier older version of the accord this body style is the most timeless. This was my first car and if you compare any other 1995 model from Saturn/Toyota/etc. this one is the best looking for the price. Now that's just the reason I picked it now I'll tell you why I love it this Honda accord is very reliable never has not started for me other than the time I left my lights on 2 weeks after I got it(user error not the cars fault) and I have done most of the scheduled maintenance myself such as changing oil/transmission fluid/coolant/air filter(SAVES SO MUCH MONEY). I got the ex which came with the moon roof(which for my first car I didn't think it was a big deal but in the summer with my music up and my moon roof open WOW! good times). Only con I'd say is being 16 years old now the paint is chipping in some areas but I plan on getting her a paint job b/c i plan on having her for another 5 years at least. but all in all for a girls first car its awesome b/c you won't be embarrassed b/c it actually looks newer than you would think and for a guy its good b/c its a good car to start caring for with a low budget or for anyone that wants a car that will get you to A B C D E and F and back again. When I do have to retire the 95' I hope the newer accords will be just as good"