1996 Honda Accord

Based on 809 Ratings for the 1994 - 1997 models.

Still Running!!

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pros: "Unbeatable reliability"

Cons: "No cup holders"

"I have driven this car since new and have since put over 510,000 km's (317,000miles) on it. I have been through a few timing belts, 2 radiators, 1 master cylinder, and several mufflers. All the regular things you would expect to replace on any vehicle but to date nothing major has ever been replaced. This car has never let me down! Cup holders would have been nice...but I figured it out!"

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"My '96 Accord is a really great car. It has 250,000 miles on it and is virtually maintenance free. Due to the low cost of ownership, I give the Accord 5 stars for value. The overall quality is excellent, but after 15 years, some of the plastic parts have started to breakdown, which is to be expected (fading of plastic & rubber trim, etc.). This car is fun to drive and doesn't look dated. If you're reading these reviews to decide whether or not to buy high-mileage 15-year old car--DO IT. You won't be disappointed. These Accords were built to last."

My most trusted steed on wheels!

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Great Quality Drive; Ageless Beauty; a True Value"

Cons: "Lack of security system; few disfunctional quirks"

"Bought new nearly 20 yrs. ago and have been fully satisfied with it ever since. Has exceptional turning radius, incredibly versatile, easy to adjust/customize seats for impeccable viewing/safety and comfort. Economical and easy to run & maintain. Has always earned my confidence and proven to be an excellent investment in reliable quality transportation. Lots of Fun to drive too! Will continue to drive for many years to come & will be proud to put Antique License plates on this trusty sedan in about 5 yrs. I fully endorse this as the most exceptional vehicle I've ever owned."

My 5th Honda

By on Friday, August 19, 2011

"Needed a reliable car. Found this one 3 years ago, Had 143,000 miles when I bought it. It has 216,000 now. Never had any problems, Just regular maintenance. Bought it for $3,400. put about a little over thousand dollars a little at a time into it,Like tires, timing belt,water pump,radiator, few hoses, regular stuff that goes out. My mechanic says Engine is excellent and should last at least til 300,000.I love driving it and sometimes I forget how old this car really is. All my Honda's have been GREAT."

Great Car for the money!

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"I have owned three Honda's over the last 15 years. The older Honda's seem to be better built than the new one's. I just recently replaced the transmission in my 2004 Pilot, but my 1997 Accord is still going strong. I'd like a new car, but it's hard to give up a vehicle that's paid for when it is in such good shape and reliable. I purchased the car when it was four years old and I've been EXTREMELY satisfied with my purchase."

Reliable vehicle

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable drive, fuel economy"

Cons: "radio, low seats, loud on highway."

"I have this car for 2 years and bought with 127000 miles on it. I have traveled to wisconsin, chicago, nebraska multiple time from waterloo, iowa. Great in gas and very comfortable to drive even though I do not have cruise control on it. Very roomy inside compared to other competitors of the same class. This car will never leave you on the road and you will have to sell it before it starts giving you problems. Paint is fair and there are little rusts on the body, but it is due to the age. Good car to commute or to buy for your teenager."

Very Good Car !

By on Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Regretfully, due to this awful economy, i had to let my new car go into reposession. I pinched all my pennies together and purchased a 1997 Honda Accord Special Edition with 166,000 miles on it for $2200. For sure it was not what i was used to since prior to this I only owned nothing but new cars, but the recent job market and economy have forced me to downgrade. I must say that the quality of this car is amazing and I will recomend this car to anyone who may be in the same situation that i was in. i did a complete tune up and cleaning on this car and it runs perfect! I hope to have it for many more years to come !"

Great car ,drives great, has power & great on gas!

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "great on gas. great reliabilty,looks great,comfort"

Cons: "needs to come standard with rear spoiler."

"I have owned Hondas now for several years & I highly recommend anyone getting one. Hondas can usually be sold well above Kelly blue book value because they are always in high demand. I love these cars because if you keep the oil changed,belts etc they will go even beyond 300,000 miles on the engine! my last Honda was over 300,00. I added a rear spoiler to my accord lx & made it look even better. yes get a Honda accord! def a great buy if the person that had the car before you has taken care of it :)"

Keeps on running

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Reliable with great mpg"

Cons: "No cup holders"

"This car has been owned and passed down through my family since around 1995. We have never had to make any serious repairs. It keeps running without any problems. I get 30-35 mpg. This has been a great first car which I will drive until it will not run anymore."

unbeatable reliability

By on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pros: "great camping vehicle, good gas mileage,"

Cons: "low to ground, remote door locks"

"No engine, trans, problems. just routine maint....changed timing belt every 75K, adjust valves every 100K, 1 new starter, no alternator replaced, factory battery 6 yrs 125K,...replaced radiator and cooling fans, distributor gasket replaced...speed sensor for cruise control and speedo new....rack and pinion seal leaks...2 set of front rotors..no calipers....GREAT CAR..station wagon was only built for 3 yrs...bigger...rear seat folds down."

The honda dream

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive great on gas and holds value very wll"

"bought this car for 3100$ about 1000$ more then what kbb appraised it for and i gotta say no regrets with only 120000 miles on it ill drive the car for a couple of years and get back close to what i paid for it very smooh strong engine. they need to make more cars like this not only is it extremely reliable good on gas and cheap to fix it can also be upgraded to a speedster >:)"

I have over 260,000 miles on my 1995 accord!

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "great on gass and easy to drive"

Cons: "wish it had a little more power"

"I have over 260K on my '95 honda..recently passed state inspection and I drive it everyday. replaced T-belt at 120k, dx model with ac and crank windows...had to bondo rear quarters above wheels but this is common. If you see one of these cars for cheap buy it. Don't be scared with a car of 150k or so. Look at me. I'm still driving everyday with 260k. My goal is 300>"

Very Reliable

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Gas mileage, reliability"

Cons: "Commonly broken into (but depends on your area)"

"I bought this car used with 127,000 miles on it and it ran awesome. After a few months I needed to replace the timing belt and breaks, but this is normal for a car with this many miles. This car is super reliable. It still runs great even though it is 16 years old and is closer to 200,000 miles. The only drawback to this car is that it is commonly stolen/broken into. I have had 3 break ins in the last year. Other than that, this is a safe reliable car that gets great gas mileage and lasts almost forever."

good first car

By on Thursday, December 17, 2009

"i love my car even though its older, its never lets me down. As long as you change the oil and keep the maintaince up your good to go. my friend had the same car and it lasted her up to 585,000 miles i couldnt beleive it. its a great car."

Car should last a lifetime

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"I have this car for 12 years and now has 208,000 miles on it. Basically doing all the fluid change oil, tranny, anti freeze. Replaced some parts due to wear and tear but no major problem with the engine and transmission. Now the car is given to my 18 year old son for his first car. It is still running strong just as the time I bought it. Probably will get another hundred thousand miles w/o problem. Now I have another Accord a 2002 that I bought used. Compared with the 96 the 2002 has better engine but lousy tranny. I realized how good the 96 tranny when I looked at the dipstick it is still purple red and it shifts smoothly. I would recommend the 1996 Accord to anyone looking for a good reliable used car."

Over 200k happy miles

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"I've driven this car for the last 7 years (bought used from the 1st owner when I was in grad school) and am very happy to report it's still driving well at over 200k miles. I drive fast and take corners hard; it's such a well balanced car with a good suspension - nothing beats solid engineering. I'm at a crossroads right now with deciding on a new(er) car but the fact that this 14 year old car still gives me pause (keep it? or not? keep it?) is an attestament to this cars value, engineering and sheer enjoyment of driving. Manual transmissions are bulletproof on these cars."

My Favorite Car

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Reliability"

Cons: "Rust"

"I purchased this car used in 2003 for $4,500 with 54,000 miles on it. The woman I purchase it from told me that it was her "favorite car" but that her husband purchased a new car for her every ten years. I'd had a lot trouble with my previous used cars. At the time, I was looking for something to last me the next 4 or 5 years. It is now 2014 and I still drive my Accord every day. This car has outperformed all of my expectations and I love driving it! The only major downside is the rust; the majority of the repairs and replacements I have had to make are due to rust and I can take it through a carwash in fear that I am going to lose a piece or two. The interior is in great condition though a few lights have gone out on the dash and the radio takes a while to tune in... AC still blows cold, engine keeps going. Progressive styling (for 1994) hides it's true age. Still very comfortable for long road trips. Handles alright on ice with snow tires. I am no longer a poor student and can afford a new vehicle but I can't let go of a car that has served me so well."

Like the Everready Bunny

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Transmission, reliability, maint, driving in snow."

Cons: "Exterior rust-proofing."

"My 1st Honda Accord, and probably not my last. Starts up the 1st time every time. During this past winter was my car of choice (FWD) to take it through the ice/snow; no problems. Has 232K+ miles however, feels like it's ready for another 100K (proper maintenance always a plus). I've noticed that there is a rust issue on these cars around the passenger exterior wheel well area; plan on fixing that issue myself when the warmer weax arrives. Not very fast on initial acceleration however, maintains quality/necessary speed after approx 5 seconds (50-60 MPH). Gas mileage is average to slightly above avg for this make, model, and year. Xmission still runs very smooth however, evident that it's not of new shifting condition. Passenger tie rod replacement due in the near future; I may take it on or just have my mechanic resolve. Overall, very happy with the 96 Accord LX. Would definitely purchase again."

A really great car

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "Excellent value, keeps on going!"

"This car just keeps on going! It's awesome. And great mileage. Roomy enough in both front and back. Not too large overall, a problem with some newer model years. Not luxurious but very workable and comfortable. Great sized and easy to access trunk. Love all the window glass--Honda has streamlined new 2013 models and taken away too much of the glass. I like seeing all the way around! Only have one glitch that is a problem in coastal climate winters- so I think is a problem for just this car, not the whole model year. --windows fog up inside and it takes turning on the air conditioner to get them clear, the heater defroster takes too long. This model year should be used as a baseline. Easy to maintain inside. Looks a little worn outside but just hard to give up a real winner."

I should have bought two when new

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "grease the wheels lips to prevent Honda rot"

"This has great gas mileage and a large hatch for hauling. the engine revs freely and even with 195mm tires it holds the road great. The interior has held up extremely well considering it is 17 years old. It looks like new except for the driver side factory mat that is worn. The carpeting below the mat is flawless. The only issue is the radio antenna no longer extends fully but still provides excellent reception on both am and fm."

Still runs very good for a 16 yr old car

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

"The automatic lock is messing up and sometimes the automatic window control is slow to respond but other than that the car still runs smoothly. It still gets me to places without breaking down or over heating. I just have to give the car proper maintenance service (oil change and such) and it gives back the pleasure of one comfortable ride."

Best Design of 1995

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "reliable, budget friendly, great look"

Cons: "paint faded"

"I'd have to say this car is the most newer looking car of the 90's unlike the boxier older version of the accord this body style is the most timeless. This was my first car and if you compare any other 1995 model from Saturn/Toyota/etc. this one is the best looking for the price. Now that's just the reason I picked it now I'll tell you why I love it this Honda accord is very reliable never has not started for me other than the time I left my lights on 2 weeks after I got it(user error not the cars fault) and I have done most of the scheduled maintenance myself such as changing oil/transmission fluid/coolant/air filter(SAVES SO MUCH MONEY). I got the ex which came with the moon roof(which for my first car I didn't think it was a big deal but in the summer with my music up and my moon roof open WOW! good times). Only con I'd say is being 16 years old now the paint is chipping in some areas but I plan on getting her a paint job b/c i plan on having her for another 5 years at least. but all in all for a girls first car its awesome b/c you won't be embarrassed b/c it actually looks newer than you would think and for a guy its good b/c its a good car to start caring for with a low budget or for anyone that wants a car that will get you to A B C D E and F and back again. When I do have to retire the 95' I hope the newer accords will be just as good"

GREAT 1995 HONDA ACCORD EX !!!

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "GREAT OVERALL CAR"

"I bought this car brand new in 1995 and I have NEVER regretted it! I saw this cashmere colored car in the showroom (2-door coupe) and just had to have it. Needless to say, it has stood up to Honda's reliability record. I finally decided to buy a new 2010 Honda Accord EX-L last year, and kept the 1995 Honda as a 2nd car. I actually feel like the 1995 Honda has a smoother ride than the 2010 Honda. I hope to continue to keep the older Honda and put at least another 150,000 miles on it !! (At least 5 people have asked me if I want to sell the 1995 Honda, and I tell them i'm not ready yet!)"

Dependable, Reliable, Great Vehicle! Love it!

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage, safe, dependable"

Cons: "I need to have the rear leather seats repaired!"

"Love this car, bought new in 1996, always took it to the dealership for all maintenance. Thankfully bought an extended warranty because at 500 miles before it expired in 2003, I needed a new transmission. Saved me a bundle of money so I don't know if I'd feel the same now had I not gotten that warranty. This car is great and a perfect one to hand down or purchase for a 16 year old. It has 258,000 miles on it, runs like a dream. When you look at the price of new cars, I don't mind spending the money to keep this one running a while longer."

Great car for the long haul

By on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"I bought this car 4 years ago when I needed a new car in a pinch for less than $3,000 and had great gas mileage (I was moving to Chicago and would be traveling to Ohio a lot). I worked as a photojournalist for 3 years and drove a lot of miles everyday, this car stood up to the test for the most part. I drove 60,000 miles on it in the past 4 years (it is not at 160,000) and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I had to replace a lot of parts (battery, struts, etc) but it's an older car so it's expected. I would highly, highly recommed this car to new drivers or anyone traveling a lot. Not a ton of space, I tried two carseats in the back with my friend's two kids and it was way crowded. Good for a single person, or maybe a couple without too many suitcases. The storage is okay, but the cupholders are not desirable at all. The leather on the side where the auto car windows/locks are started to peel and can't be replaced because it's older."