2014 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $25,342 - $26,090.

10/7.4

7.9

Based on 268 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Not so great Terrain

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "price was ok"

Cons: "the engine is poor"

"I love the size and body type of the Terrain but the quality of the vehicle is far from satisfactory. This car burns a LOT of oil and you will need an oil change long before it should be time to do so. I have had the car less than a year and have had issues in which I've taken it to the dealership at 6-7 times. I'm always told "just put more oil in it". Needless to say... I'm extremely unhappy with the performance of the car."

false advertisement?

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Interior, ride, comfort"

Cons: "gas mileage, no power"

"When I decided to trade in my Infiniti coupe (which I LOVED), I decided to get something larger. I have a long commute to work, so mileage was extremely important. Obviously, I was drawn to the Terrain and Equinox, both of which promised 32 mpg. I purchased the 4 cyl. Terrain last January in hopes of saving some money at the pump. I live in west Texas...so the roads I travel are flat. I have yet to get anything over 26 (and that was with a good wind behind me). No, I do not speed. I travel at 70mph down I20 to work. I don't gun it at red lights, etc. I called the dealership I purchased it at, and his excuse was, "Well, gas isn't gas anymore." Yadda yadda yadda about ethenol. I don't CARE about ethenol. I care about mpg. I should have kept my coupe. IT got better gas mileage (usually around 27), and took off like a shot in the dark. I feel like Fred Flintstone trying to get this thing to pass...like I need to peddle something to make it go. I'm so disappointed in it. I like the interior and the ride. But, the point was to save money at the pump. It's not happening. So, if you are expecting the 32 like I was, you too might find yourself disappointed. Many reviews I have read regarding the Terrain state the same thing. Most are averaging around 25-26. Which, I guess, is good for an SUV. But, not what they promised."

Love it.

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, stylish and great price."

Cons: "AC vents"

"I have owned the Terrain for a little over a year and I love it. It drives great, has a stylish look to it and my kids even like it. Everyone who gets in my car comment on how much they like the interior with the two tone leather. I love that it has XM radio and Onstar. I was also happy to see that it has a usb outlet so I can charge my iphone or listen to the ipod. The only thing I would change is the AC vents. The vents on the side don't angle up. They go left and right but the up and down is in a fixed position. I also wish there was at least one vent in the back seat. It takes a while to cool off the back seat on a hot day. Overall, if something happened to my Terrain I would buy it all over again. It fits my lifestyle perfectly."

Fantastic gas mileage

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

"Luckily for me I have a company vehicle that I use for work, so the Terrain is used only on weekends and long trips. It is a very comfortable ride (coming from the Acadia). The gas mileage is fantastic. On a recent trip from Houston to San Antonio I got 33 mpg, which is above the rating.. Ask me if I am happy!!"

2010 Terrian Never Again

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Can't really think of any."

Cons: "See below...too much to list here."

"We bought a new 2010 Terrain after our last two family cars were Ford Explorers. The main reason for the switch was the highly touted gas mileage. We are trading it in at 56,000 miles as it has been nothing but a disappointment. The gas mileage averages 21-24mpg verses the 28 we were told we would get with the AWD. We could live with that. What we can't live with is a transmission that does not downshift to handle coming down mountain roads. You either have to manually put it in low or ride the brakes. The worst part is even calling it a SUV. It has no ground clearance and it is built so cheap that my wife hit a rabbit last year and it did $1,800.00 worth of damage to the front bumper and wheel well. Last week the AC went out and we found that a small rock had been thrown up and knocked a hole in the AC condenser. A SUV should have a certain degree of plating in protecting the undercarriage. There are more blind spots on this vehicle than any I have ever encountered. The backup camera does show you whats behind you but makes things that are ten feet away look like they are thirty feet away. The audio controls and for that matter all the controls on the front control panel are confusing and hard to adjust while you are driving. If you actually need an SUV, this is not the vehicle for you. If you are never off the flat blacktop and want to say you drive an SUV, the Terrain might fit the bill."

First Time GMC Owner

By on Sunday, January 31, 2010

"As a first time GMC owner I am very pleased with my 2010 Terrain SLE-1. The horse power is excellent for a 4-cyn. Excellent gas mileage. Very smooth ride. There some drawbacks. The front seats are narrower and more form fitting. Not ideal for a large or over-sized person. It took me a few weeks to get use to them. Front driver-side leg room can also be an issue. If you are 6ft or over, you might have difficulty getting in and out of the vehicle since you are lower to the ground. There does seem to be plenty of room in the front passager seat area and excellent leg room in the rear seating area. There are a lot of Standard Options on this model so I highly recommend reading the vehicle manuals on how everything works. Overall, I would recommend this vehicle."

not so good

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pros: "comfortable for tall people"

Cons: "poor fuel economy"

"I own this terrain and i am not satisfied with the fuel mileage at all i have had gm reps and my dealershiplook at it and say oh well thats what you are gonna get you should drive it slower like at 45 mph(according to the gm rep)to get better fuel economy. well ill tell you driving the speed limit on the highway i get 20 mpg and in town i get 23 or so no matter what i do eco mode or not. the window sticker for the awd stated 29 highway and 24 in town im way off from that. This has been in the shop 3 times for sensor isues if it wasnt a lease id trade it. Not satisfied at all with this vehicle. It is roomy and comfortable to drive ill give it that. I would not recomend this vehicle if you care about fuel economy"

Love it so much, I am getting a 2013 Terrain!

By on Monday, October 29, 2012

Pros: "It's like a little truck, but more comfy!"

Cons: "None!"

"I love this car. I like the sporty truck look of it, and the way it handles all my cargo. The seats are comfortable, and the rear seat has lots of leg room. I am getting 25mpg with the 4-cylinder engine, and I think that's great for an SUV. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a roomy, safe, substantial car. The OnStar feature is a MUST for me - it makes me feel so safe when driving alone at night. I know that if I get into an accident, OnStar will call to see if I am OK. Also, I have locked myself out of the car several times, and OnStar can let me in just by calling them. And, if the car gets stolen, OnStar can shut it off, and locate it for the police."

Nice but poor mpg

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "Nice and stylish"

Cons: "Gas milage is way overstated"

"I like the car alot but gas milage is very bad. I cant get over 22 hwy no matter what I try. I only have 6000 miles on it so I cant comment on long term reliability but it has been in the shop 3 times for electrical issues covered under warranty."

Wonderful Small SUV

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Had this car for awhile now and couldn't be happier. We test drove several Small/Midsize SUV's before we finally decided on the Terrain. It by far had the greatest driving experience. We have the SLT2 version."

Good looks, good fit and finish, very good handlin

By on Friday, January 09, 2015

Pros: "Good price, good handling, roomy, good mileage."

Cons: "Slow shifting, underpowered with 2.4 liter engine."

"Love the looks of this SUV. Seems big but small car mileage. Very nice handling. With 61,000 miles has never been in the shop except for oil changes and routine maintenance. The standard sound system is OK but not great as far as sound quality. Love the Onstar system. Still have good tread on the original Michelins with 61,000 miles on them. Only two minor irritations: slow to shift, and underpowered for hills or passing with the 2.4 liter engine."

Great suv

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "gas mileage not as advertised"

"Only had for a short time but loving it. Gas mileage is only concern as avg. 29 mpg on local trip of 1800 miles but other than that it is great. Very comfortable ride . Lacked a little power in the mountains but didn,t expect much more out of a 4 cylinder ."

So in love with my Terrain

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "great price for options, looks great, sturdy"

Cons: "interior needs some wood accents"

"I purchased a loaded awd slt-2 terrain in June, so far it has met or exceeded my expectations. In metallic black with the black leather interior it's a great looking vehicle. Especially with the slt-2's chrome accents. I love the boxy look, it handles very smoothly. Rear backup camera is a dream, and interior is holding up very well to my kids. I even fit my daughters 20" mountainbike in the back when I pushed the middle seat forward. We have had no problems whatsoever. My smartphone (android) wouldn't connect until I got a male/male stereo plug and put it into my phone and the connection right under the usb port in the console. Now I can play all my music too. I love my bluetooth, the touchscreen radio is very easy to use, and the red accents inside really pop at night. My kids love how easy it is to get into, and how much legroom they have. I've even got it over 30mpg, although I average 26 when I drive normal, and 27.5ish when I'm more cautious about accelleration/and stops."

Small SUV with GMC reliability

By on Sunday, September 09, 2012

Pros: "Roomy interior, sharp appearance, good MPG for SUV"

Cons: "12v power ports shut off when engine is off"

"Keep in mind it is a midsize SUV selling for $25K. The 4 cylinder coupled to 6 speed automatic provides adequate performance with good fuel economy. The "eco" button changes the performance characteristics of the engine and transmission to provide either performance or economy. Most people will be satisfied with the "eco" mode. During a recent trip from Pittsburgh to Boston the Terrain provided 31 MPG and performed well in heavy traffic. To display accurate average fuel economy under different driving conditions you should reset the display (see your manual). This vehicle has lots of standard features including the rear view camera, Bluetooth link, hands free calling (works with any Bluetooth enabled phone), limited power driver seat, entertainment center with USB port. Good cargo capacity and the adjustable rear seat does fold flat if the rear seat is rolled forward first. The Terrain is everything we needed in an everyday vehicle for a price we could live with."

Disappointing MPG and power.

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "The Terrain has a good ride and is fairly quiet."

Cons: "The highway fuel economy is not as per EPA rating."

"I am very disappointed with the fuel economy and the performance of the 2011 Terrain with the 4 cylinder engine. By driving conservatively, the best highway fuel mileage that I have experienced is 24 to 26 mpg. I feel that GM has somehow tricked the EPA and consumers with the 32 MPG highway rating. With my former vehicles, I have surpassed the EPA ratings, so I feel that this poor fuel mileage is not my driving technique. I also feel that the 4 cylinder Terrain is severely underpowered. It takes a lot of throttle to maintain your speed on even the slightest hill. The engine makes lots of noise when accelerating but doesn't seem to go anywhere. I wish I had researched this vehicle and read reviews like this before purchasing this car. I would not recommend the 4 cylinder engine to anyone buying a Terrain and I would recommend to GM that they do not offer this engine in this car to save face and keep customers returning."

Wonderful SUV! Its my first but it wont be my last

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Great Body and Fuel! Great crash test rating!"

Cons: "Tiny Mirrors on the Side Mirrors!"

"I have 1, 300 miles on it when I purchased it used. This car is VERY roomy and spacious! It has a delightful frame and look that causes all eyes to look at me when I pass by - I guess it makes me look "SEXY!". I LIKE THAT! It is very surprisingly FUEL EFFICIENT and it is worth every penny spent. You get into this car and all of a sudden people on the highway RESPECT you! YOU command the road! My Terrain is white and loaded with all the extras that make having a car GREAT! From On-Star to the dashboard which tells you everything one could ever want to know about a car, to the camera on the back which gives you a surround view of not only what's behind you but also whats beside you-- safety rating is amazing and It has passed all crash tests second to none! That impressed me! My relatives saw it and started planning to try to buy it off me, but of course, I wasn't going to let my TERRAIN go! That would be like giving away my baby! The car becomes a part of you and I GUARANTEE everyone - Once you merely sit in one of these babies (let alone drive it) - YOU WILL NOT WANT ANYTHING ELSE! (I know, I tried for a 2 days to convince myself to get a BRAND NEW automotive, but I couldn't convince myself away from this one - not even for another SUV!!!!"

I love it!

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "interior comfort, super quiet, great mileage hwy"

Cons: "difficult to park, complicated navigation"

"I have a V6 AWD SLT and I love it. The AWD truly makes a difference so it's worth paying a little extra. It's a very smooth ride. You can't even really feel bumps on the road. The shocks are great. OnStar is awesome minus the bill. The navigation is good but no as easy to manipulate as Garmin though. The one thing that annoys me about it is that it's difficult to park. I used to drive a large Jeep Commander and it was so much easier to park. The Terrain is a little bulky in the front to turn into parking spots I guess. Other than that, its a great car. The seats are the most comfortable I've been in."

Buyers Beware Part II!!

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "cup holders"

Cons: "engine"

"Now for my reasons why this car should be pulled or recalled: At times, when I am slowing down for a light and that light happens to turn green and I go from slowly cruising/breaking to cruising/giving it a little gas, it "poops" like someone said. And it's a pretty bad jerking motion that the first time I thought I had gotten bumped from behind and each time I do wonder was that the engine or did someone hit me this time. It happens all the time and having been hit from behind, it's a little bit of a PTSD issue for me, but nonetheless, it's embarrassing and shouldn't be happening."

Certified Used 2013 GMC Terrain SLT 2

By on Monday, June 08, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, smaller SUV. Good for hauling many Thing"

Cons: "Gas mpg is low, underpowered 3.0L, only flaws."

"I purchased this vehicle as a GMC certified used from a dealership in Aug.2013.This particular SUV was built in Canada. So some information a person may find may not be exact. Like the exterior color of mine is 2 tone brown.It has a 3.0L V6 and I believe it has most all options.It does not have the Navigation system or DVD players. In my opinion it is a pretty reliable vehicle. It does have a couple flaws. The road noise level is quite pronounced. It also is underpowered with a 3.0 L engine. It only gets around 17 mpg. The newer models I think have a 3.5L v6 option. Which would be an improvement because vehicle is over 4,000 lbs. Seats are a bit hard,so I bought a comfy cushion so that problem solved.So far this has proven to be a good vehicle."

Poor gas milage

By on Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pros: "Plenty of room for a big family"

Cons: "Poor Poor gas mileage"

"I drive 140 miles round trip, mostly highway, and the gas milage is not what GMC claimed it would be, I am in the 24mpg range. With the air conditioner on going up hill it will not get out of it's own way. I did not mind giving some performance for gas mileage, but I did not want to get out and push either. The Terrain has plenty of room in the interior."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive on trips or in town. Overall NPG 23"

"Purchased this vehicle new with the v6 and all the options. Best vehicle ever for the price."

28500 miles is less than a year. Very reliable.

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "4 cyl engine very adequate."

Cons: "hwy mileage not what I expected"

"Highway MPG not what I expected. Otherwise the vehicle has performed up to my high expectations."

Love the vehicle, great control, smooth ride

By on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "garage door opener"

"great quality, would not buy another brand."

STAY AWAY!!

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Reason: Transmission showing signs of problems

Pros: "Nice features"

Cons: "Powertrain doesn't last long"

"I loved the features on our Terrain (heated seats, sunroof, push button open hatch and leather seats) but thats abaout it. When I took my Terrain recently to get brakes done and suspension (after a bad winter in the tristate and all the bad roads) I was informed that my transmission was starting to show signs that it was going bad. Now this is only after having it a year and a half as i traded in my Chevy Equinox for this vehicle for almost the same reason. Since GM only gives a 3-5 yr 36,000 mile warranty on their vehicles, i was left with the choice of going to a dealer and trading in my vehicle. After many discussions I was able to finally get my husband away from GM vehicles (after 3 falied attempts at their SUV line) and get a Kia/Hyundai which have the best warrantee on the market. GM will need to invest some money into their powertrain and warrantees before i would consider going back."

Nice Vehicle

By on Saturday, November 28, 2009

"The Terrain has a quiet and comfortable cabin. The power liftgate is super and the V6 engine provides adequate accerleration. The interior has plenty of room given I am tall and have plenty of leg room. They need to provide a front passenger powered seat and universal remote for the garage door. The gas mileage for the V6 is average but keep in mind I have only had the vehicle for one week."