• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1998 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab

8.0

Based on 385 Ratings for the 1994 - 2004 models.

Easy to work on and maintain.

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, Reliable, East to maintain."

Cons: "Old fashioned, not a sports car."

"I am by no means a mechanic. That being said I have worked on the vehicle and changed many parts with ease. It has been reliable and dependent. I have owned three other vehicles but this is by far my favorite. Reasonably priced and easy to maintain it is the perfect starter vehicle. It has truly been a great vehicle to own and to drive. I enjoy it still after almost seven years of owning. While I did eventually have to change a few things like the fuel pump and starter it was very easy. If you are looking for a vehicle you can work on and save money by avoiding expensive mechanic this is the truck for you. I stand by it as a proud owner."

Great little truck after the bugs are fixed

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Some Quality Issues, once fixed , great truck"

Cons: "After 30k miles issues may arise until fixed"

"I've owned the Sonoma 3rd door truck with 2.2L engine for 12 years. When I first purchased the truck I'm so glad I purchased the extended warranty with 100 dollar deductible. I can't remember how many times for the first three years of owning the truck I had numerous issues with emissions system. Oxygen and Speed sensor and harness replaced at least once. The water pump went out and warp the cylinder head so it needed to be machined and reinstalled twice. Make sure if you have to have the head machined or replace that the dealer knows what they are doing. It took me three different visits with three different dealerships to get the engine fixed correctly. After the first three years of ownership, I had no problems. Today now I'm starting to see the service engine light for emissions sensor failing. However, the engine is at 157000 miles I might add. Great little truck after I got all of the bugs out of the system. Good on fuel mileage too 26-27 mpg. Great for visiting the hardware store for moving home improvement goods. Note this truck isn't a club cab it's the extended cab version with the 3rd door and regular 6' bed."

reliable, winter rain

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "great truck"

Cons: "3rd door rust, vacuum leaks."

"owned since new have 113100 kms on truck, replaced ball joints, 4x4 vacuum module, brakes, signal lights, head light bulbs, 3rd door, and handle paid $34,000 New Good little truck, I care for it like I own it LOL"

great truck not a big problems with it

By on Wednesday, August 03, 2011

"it is a very nice truck i have a 2000 with a V6 and it has high miles on it and it is still good"

Reliability at its Finest

By on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"This truck, being well taken care of, has 223000 miles on that Vortec 4.3 L engine and it sounds and runs as good as ever still. The transmission did have to be rebuilt at about 160000 miles but still, 1200 dollars to keep this thing going has been well worth the price as you can see, 70000 miles later. I would recommend this truck and will not get rid of mine until it no longer moves. The 4WD works fantastic in the winter. Drives and handles well, looks good, I love it. The bad is the fuel economy isnt great but not many trucks are."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching GMC Sonoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals