• Editors' Page: 2014 Pickup Trucks

1997 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab

8.0

Based on 372 Ratings for the 1994 - 2004 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

One of the best Ive owned

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pros: "reliable, lfew repairs"

Cons: "bushings were bad when it was new,"

"bought this vehicle in 2002 at 30,000 miles, paid 14000.When I first got it, required all bushings replaced due to terrible squeaking was covered by warranty. Have driven it 260,000 miles with about $4000 repairs on front end, fuel pump 2x, new radiator at 200,000, recent leak in cooling system intake valve. I nearly got totaled in crash in 2003, but was repaired fully with no residual problems. 4 wheel drive has always worked perfect. at 13 yrs old, its starting to have some problems with door panels getting loose and paint job is going bad. If I could buy another one with low miles, I would in a heart beat. This was as good as my 73 Chevy C10. Im hoping for 300,000 miles this year. They never should have stopped making this model. I change oil regularly, but not much other maintenance, Im not gentle on this vehicle."

NOT A BAD ALTERNATIVE TO THE OVERPRICED TACOMA

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Reason: DIDNT WANT TO FIX

Pros: "V6 AWESOME, MANUAL IS A MUST"

Cons: "AUTOMATIC TRANS IS BEST FOR FREEWAY ONLY"

99 GMC SONOMA 4X2 SPINDLE LIFT 4.3 AUTO

"THIS TRUCK WOULD HAVE HELD UP IF I DIDNT MESS IT UP AS A KID. I LIFTED IT WHICH YOU SHOULD NEVER DO TO THESE TRUCKS. UCA BUSHINGS WILL ALWAYS WEAR OUT TO THE POINT WHERE YOUR ARM MAKES NOISE AND MUST BE REPLACED. BALL JOINTS ARE A JOKE AND ETC. IF YOU LEAVE THESE STOCK, THEY DO A GOOD JOB OF HOLDING UP. I HAD THE 4.3L AUTOMATIC AND IT CAME WITH THE OPTIONAL REAR END OF A 3.08 AND WHEN I ADDED THE 31" BFG TIRES, IT WOULDNT GET INTO OVERDRIVE ... EVER... ALMOST ALL THESE TRUCKS LEAK AT THE ENGINE AND THE BED WELDS CAME APART SO MY DIRT BIKE WOULD BEND THE BED WHEN STRAPPED DOWN AND DIG IT INTO THE CAB IF THAT MAKES SENSE. OVERALL, ID BUY IT AGAIN AND DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME. AS TIME PROGRESSES AND PEOPLE PUT MILAGE ON THESE, IT MAY NOT BE WORTH IT ANYMORE"

99 GMC SONOMA 4X2 SPINDLE LIFT 4.3 AUTO

Solid truck

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Solid build, reliable, easy to drive, looks good."

Cons: "Gas mileage not great, works hard to accelerate."

"Got truck from a friend who is obsessive about taking care of his belongings. Although I bought it in 2012, when it was already 11 years old, it looked and ran like a yearling and had just over 70k on the odometer. I have had no problems with it...well, sometimes the windshield wipers don't like to turn off. Then you have to turn the engine off and then they are back to normal. It's the 4 cylinder with automatic. On the interstate, it cruises just fine, until you need a little extra, then it works real hard. It has a limited slip differential and a nice metal tonneau cover along with the "extra cab". No power windows, door locks, etc. to go bad. Has custom wheels and wide tires. Automatic transmission. My old friend did have a lot of new parts put on during the warranty...a/c compressor, radiator, and some odds and ends. But since I've owned it, nada. Gas mileage isn't great...maybe 21-22 mpg combined. It has always started right up, never overheated or even came close, no idiot lights, ever. It seems to hold up well...I really don't beat it up. Paint like new. Stepside. Looks great. Overall, if I was looking for a good used small truck for not much money, this GMC is a keeper."

Dependable, 23K on new engine purchased in 2010

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Good vehicle for first time drivers"

Cons: "Acceleration with 4 cylinder engine"

"Very dependable after replacing engine - July 2010 (only 23,116 miles on engine). New windshield, but drivers side quarter panel dent in Oct 2013 due to deer strike. New brakes and rotors - Jan 2014. Good tires. Only issues since new engine in 2010 was replacing shocks and fuel pump. Enjoyed getting 20 MPG local driving in a pickup truck running on unleaded. Reduced gas mileage when burning less expensive E-85 fuel. Extended cab with third seat in back. Nice red color. Automatic transmission."

Simply Love It

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "great price,handy,cruise control,easy to maneuver"

Cons: "some taller people do not like driving it"

"I bought my truck used in 2008 so I have had it for almost 6 years, it had 35,000 miles on it when I bought it and just over 200,000 now,I have never had no major problem with it except for a Battery, Replaced Brakes one time along with Tires, along with the natural every year maintenance till this past year when my air conditioner went out and I have not had the money to get it replaced yet, its just a SLS regular cab but this little truck has gotten a lot of use out of it and has helped move several people, and I have never had it not start except for when I had the bad battery, However I have let my friends husband drive it on occasion and he complains about the seat not going back far enough, which is fine with me as I am a shorty lol and that was one of the features that I liked was being able to see over the steering wheel and being able to reach the pedals with no problem. Sometimes I wish I had a car but then other times Im glad I don't as I am in the process of moving right now, So if I do ever decide to get a car I think I will just keep my little truck to. Off to do some moving :-)"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching GMC Sonoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals