2001 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab

8.0

Based on 387 Ratings for the 1994 - 2004 models.

Easy to work on and maintain.

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, Reliable, East to maintain."

Cons: "Old fashioned, not a sports car."

"I am by no means a mechanic. That being said I have worked on the vehicle and changed many parts with ease. It has been reliable and dependent. I have owned three other vehicles but this is by far my favorite. Reasonably priced and easy to maintain it is the perfect starter vehicle. It has truly been a great vehicle to own and to drive. I enjoy it still after almost seven years of owning. While I did eventually have to change a few things like the fuel pump and starter it was very easy. If you are looking for a vehicle you can work on and save money by avoiding expensive mechanic this is the truck for you. I stand by it as a proud owner."

Great little truck after the bugs are fixed

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Some Quality Issues, once fixed , great truck"

Cons: "After 30k miles issues may arise until fixed"

"I've owned the Sonoma 3rd door truck with 2.2L engine for 12 years. When I first purchased the truck I'm so glad I purchased the extended warranty with 100 dollar deductible. I can't remember how many times for the first three years of owning the truck I had numerous issues with emissions system. Oxygen and Speed sensor and harness replaced at least once. The water pump went out and warp the cylinder head so it needed to be machined and reinstalled twice. Make sure if you have to have the head machined or replace that the dealer knows what they are doing. It took me three different visits with three different dealerships to get the engine fixed correctly. After the first three years of ownership, I had no problems. Today now I'm starting to see the service engine light for emissions sensor failing. However, the engine is at 157000 miles I might add. Great little truck after I got all of the bugs out of the system. Good on fuel mileage too 26-27 mpg. Great for visiting the hardware store for moving home improvement goods. Note this truck isn't a club cab it's the extended cab version with the 3rd door and regular 6' bed."

Good at what it is

By on Thursday, May 07, 2009

"I bought a `96 Sonoma with 143k miles, it was a good condition. Mine is the five speed, 4x4, vortec 4.3. Even with the miles, the truck drives very well and is quietier inside than my `03 Tundra. The motor has good power, quiet and get 23 mpg at highway speed! The four wheel drive works flawless and engages smooth.Some dislikes? The interior is kinda cheesy with all the plastic and the overall quality falls short of Toyota however, everything works as it should. Sometimes the shifting is a little notchy in the lower gears, I had a 95 s-10, it did the same thing. Breaks good use some work. So far I`m really impressed with my `96 Sonoma, it does what its supposed too and good at what it is"

Don't buy one

By on Monday, October 20, 2008

"01 GMC Sonoma SLS 4x4 4.3L V-6 Bought it 2 years ago for $13000 It has steadily lost value after that. I have had to replace a radiator, front hub, brakes, tires, cant get alignment to stay, fuel pump $500 and I did the work. Turn signal switch. Wiring for window motors are always disconecting inside doors. Most of this would not have been a big deal but parts for this thing are $$$$$$$$ crazy. I do think if you get a good running one these are very comfortable vehicles to drive and the offroad ability is good."

Great Truck

By on Friday, October 12, 2007

"I bought this truck with 20k on the odo and while it was still under warranty, and I have to admit I nitpicked a few things until I was happy.(minor trim items) I have now owned it for 6 years and have put a total of 108k on it, and I can say for certain that this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. As far as small trucks, I have owned a 86 Mazda, 91 S-10 and a 95 Nissan and the rest have been new vehicles that get traded off every year (gotta keep the wife happy) I have done the standard stuff, brakes, belts, filters, etc and have put 3 batteries (delco) and one alternator, but otherwise has been flawless. It has never left me stranded, well, except for when I ran out of gas, and fires right up every time, ok, except when I left the headlights on and it killed the battery. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a newer one if the condition was right, but unfortunately most that buy these trucks dont take very good care of them. It has been repainted due to combo hail damage/key/rear end collosion but before that the paint was still in good shape. Nobody can believe the truck is 10yrs old by looking at it. The only downside is that it sometimes has trouble getting out of its own way, (2.2) but the V-6 will take care of that, and you will spend a lot of time tracking down creaks and rattles, but the fact is if it were built any better it would have cost a lot more. I imagine I will own this thing until it gives up the ghost, but plan on picking up a v-8 Canyon when they come out."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching GMC Sonoma Extended Cab near Honolulu. See local deals