1997 GMC Sonoma Club Coupe Cab

8.0

Based on 388 Ratings for the 1994 - 1998 models.

Great little truck after the bugs are fixed

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Some Quality Issues, once fixed , great truck"

Cons: "After 30k miles issues may arise until fixed"

"I've owned the Sonoma 3rd door truck with 2.2L engine for 12 years. When I first purchased the truck I'm so glad I purchased the extended warranty with 100 dollar deductible. I can't remember how many times for the first three years of owning the truck I had numerous issues with emissions system. Oxygen and Speed sensor and harness replaced at least once. The water pump went out and warp the cylinder head so it needed to be machined and reinstalled twice. Make sure if you have to have the head machined or replace that the dealer knows what they are doing. It took me three different visits with three different dealerships to get the engine fixed correctly. After the first three years of ownership, I had no problems. Today now I'm starting to see the service engine light for emissions sensor failing. However, the engine is at 157000 miles I might add. Great little truck after I got all of the bugs out of the system. Good on fuel mileage too 26-27 mpg. Great for visiting the hardware store for moving home improvement goods. Note this truck isn't a club cab it's the extended cab version with the 3rd door and regular 6' bed."

Good at what it is

By on Thursday, May 07, 2009

"I bought a `96 Sonoma with 143k miles, it was a good condition. Mine is the five speed, 4x4, vortec 4.3. Even with the miles, the truck drives very well and is quietier inside than my `03 Tundra. The motor has good power, quiet and get 23 mpg at highway speed! The four wheel drive works flawless and engages smooth.Some dislikes? The interior is kinda cheesy with all the plastic and the overall quality falls short of Toyota however, everything works as it should. Sometimes the shifting is a little notchy in the lower gears, I had a 95 s-10, it did the same thing. Breaks good use some work. So far I`m really impressed with my `96 Sonoma, it does what its supposed too and good at what it is"

By on Thursday, March 25, 2010

"i have a 96 sonoma with a 2.2 5 speed 2wd. ive put a cold air intake on it didnt see much improvement in hp or mileage. i also put a ceramic header and down pipe on it(big difference in power) because the stock flex hose at the bottom of the manifold was shot. the a/c went out before i bought it so i took it off and put a bypass pulley on it. cab corners and rear fenders on there trucks are known to rust out i cut them out and replaced them, it is a very simple task. it has proven to be a very reliable truck that gets good gas mileage. i average 25mpg mixed driving and have gotten 30mpg driving like a grandpa on he highway. just recentley i relized i was leaking some antifreeze and my radiator was leaking so i replaced it, i was still loosing antifreeze, it turns out my head gasket was leaking at the back of the head, i have just over 200k miles on my truck and outside of body work and the head gasket it proves to be a stout little truck. i would recomend this truck to anyone. i would list the other things that have gone out but there has been nothing that has gone wrong with this truck out of the ordinary. im 6 foot 2 and the truck is very comfortable the gear shifter is in the right place and easy to manuver."

My 1st car

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"This was my 1st car and I love it. It has enough power for what I need. It is a very reliable truck. I give it a 9.5 out of 10"

Great Little Truck

By on Saturday, May 09, 2009

"I bought this truck new so I have owned it for 10 years. Never had any major problems other than routine maintenance, It has the HO engine and that is a real screamer in a truck this size. With the step side bed, sport suspension, and alloy 16 inch wheels with wide tires, it handles like a sports car but the ride is rather harsh. Quiet, reliable, and sharp looking. Great truck for the suburbs and I highly recommend it. The only complaint I have is that the third door latch has failed three times because it is made of plastic. I hope to keep it for years to come."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching GMC Sonoma Club Coupe Cab near Honolulu. See local deals