• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2013 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,856 - $33,037.

10/7.4

Based on 754 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Great truck for the money.

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "Great value, great quality, great looking"

Cons: "Plasticy Interior. Needs a std locking tailgate"

"I got a 2008 work truck with rubber floormats and manual windows and locks. The truck drives great, is very quiet, and gets 20mpg on the highway all day long. I've had no problems with anything in the first 3 years of ownership. My only complaint is that parts of the interior feel cheap, but I did get the base W/T. No rattles or squeeks though. The only options I have are cruise, XM Radio, A/C, and the Eaton Diff. I got the SL exterior appearance package, and I get compliments on my truck all the time. It looks like a $35k truck. You can't beat a brand new truck for $20k that has a 100,000 mi. warranty on the drivetrain."

Best truck out there right now

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "dependability and styling"

Cons: "no sunroof on standard models, only denali's :-("

"I love my sierra. I've had it for about 2 years now and have not had even one problem with it. Very dependable truck. The powertrain is good in both performance and fuel economy. I use it to tow a small trailer on occasion(roughly 5000-6000 lbs) without any trouble. Styling is great... I get compliments on it all the time. The quality of the components and the ride are both top notch. Bottom line, its a great vehicle."

Nice truck

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "nice truck"

Cons: "rear cup holders are cheap, no rear auxiliary !"

"I own a 2011 Z71 extended cab and so far this truck has been a pleasure to drive. Ive taken the truck up north Michigan camping numerous times and have got anywhere from 19-21 MPG on the highway (5.3 engine). Plan on putting a back-flip cover on soon to ad to security for the bed and im sure my MPG's will also improve. So far no problems what so ever!! ohh and its a smooth ride on the highway !! Could use auxiliary power outlet for rear seating area."

I own a 2013-no real changes from 2012

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower and torque"

Cons: "sits up rather high"

"I love this truck. I think its only drawback is that it sits up rather high. I think it could be a little lower to the ground. Mine is a 2013 SLT crew cab regular box Duramax 4 wheel drive. Plenty of power to pull our 29 1/2 ft fifth wheel. I love driving this rig, and plan on keeping it for quite a while (I still have my 2002 Duramax with 275000 miles as a work vehicle) I would recommend this truck to anyone who tows a trailer."

Best HD Truck Yet!!

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "POWER POWER POWER! Allison transmission is GREAT!"

Cons: "Inside could use a revamping, still clean though!"

Sierra 2500 HD SLE

"This is by far the most well rounded 3/4 ton truck I have owned. Better power to the ground from the 6.6L Duramax mated with the Allison transmission. You feel ALL of the 765 FT/LB's of torque this thing produces. Get groceries all day, and haul 20k pounds by night, and never hesitate in the middle. Great ride, brakes, styling, and power. Would recommend and WILL buy again!"

Sierra 2500 HD SLE

Best Value for a truck that can carry weight

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Bed rides a little rough with no load...."

"GMC knew what they were doing when they upgraded this line. It features a redesigned exterior, interior, frame, and suspension as well as a power increases on Diesel engines. Like the GMT900 SUVs, these pickups also have greatly improved aerodynamics over their predecessors like steeply raked windshields and tighter panel gaps which improve fuel economy. I can still get 19-20 mpg on the highway and 16 around town. and because its a fully loaded GMC it has almost all the features of a luxury car."

Best truck ever and I've had a few

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "good gas mileage, ride and performance"

"I am a full time pickup truck driver and trade most times on a yearly basis not more than two years. I like this 2012 GMC SLT so well its time to trade and I just can't bring myself to trade it off."

fast!!

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Pros: "poor gas mileage"

Cons: "solid truck tons of power"

"great truck with plenty of room in the back with seat flipped up(extended cab)-like xm radio-fast,but drinks gas because of 6.2 engine-like the 20" chrome wheels!"

One of the very best trucks

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

"One of the best trucks we've ever owned. Unfortunately we lost it in an accident but I truly believe that the safety features in this truck saved our lives. Thanks GMC for making quality vehicles."

Great vehicle for both daily work and weekends out

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great features, options galore"

Cons: "Fuel is ok, off road ride stiff, road smooth."

"You make me want to cruise"

"I have driven this customized SLE Z71 both daily and for weekend outings. Capable of turning heads with chrome appointments, 4'lift, 20' chrome wheels, Chrome bull ring, extra driving lights, full leather interior and convenience features such as Bluetooth, Satellite, OnStar, easy steering wheel controls,one touch four wheel drive. Room for the whole family and the dogs. Off road handling with a comfortable aggressive BF Goodrich tire for Sand, Mud or Snow, but still enough comfort to enjoy daily. Only missing heated cooled seats and navigation which would have liked. OnStar still provides directions if needed. Fuel mileage is hurt by the larger wheels and tires, but the Flowmasters are a joy to hear as you pull up beside the competitors trucks. Get many compliments from both men and surprisingly a high number of women. Guess "some girls like a pickup man""

"You make me want to cruise"

Great truck

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

"5.3 engine with towing package 5th wheel super slide hitch with 373 rear end . Great pulling truck with tailor hook up. Plenty of room with the 4 doors. Never had any damage"

Very harsh ride, thinking of trading for a Ford

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "Price"

Cons: "Harsh ride, 3:08 rear end , no switched accessory"

"Other than the year end deal I am very dissatisfied with the truck over all. I didn't realize how poor the truck performs with the 3:08 rear end. GM pulled a good trick to get the gas mileage with this weak setup. I should have done better research. Wish I had my old 2002 Silverado 4.8 V8 with the4 speed auto back. I am 65 and had planed for this to be my last truck, but I am thinking about trading for the Ford V6 Ecoboost if I can trade without taking to bad a beating."

GMC Hybrid has been problem free.

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "All around great truck"

Cons: "rear seat cupholders not so good."

"I buy a new pickup ever other year so I thought i would try a hybrid this time. I haven't spent a dime on it (not even brakes) in 80K miles. Rides great, everything works like new and I have consistently averaged about 17-19 on the highway and 21-22 around town where the hybrid kicks in. Lots of power as the electric gives it a boost. Only problem is the highway sweetspot is at 105-108 mph."

I guess the newnes is still here...lol

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"I guess Im still happy from having a new truck.. Being a guy that never had much Worked my but off now i can afforn a nice new vehicle.. I pretty happy with mine. Dont have any complaints.... And I actualy like the salesman. I didnt want to ring there neck out after purchase... If God is willing My next one will be the the big Diesel.... Very Happy Camper...."

Best value for the money.

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Value, classic looks, low ownership cost, reliable"

Cons: "interior styling lags behind Ford F150"

"Other than the interior styling (which I think Ford is light-years ahead of all other manufacturers), I have absolutely no gripes about this truck. I test drove the F150, Titan, Ram, and Tundra. The only truck I imediately nixed after driving was the Tundra (after driving the Tundra, I was completely disappointed and cannot understand the infatuation Toyota loyalists have with that truck...way over-hyped and over-priced, and if you don't believe me, drive one and then drive/price any of the other four...unless you are a Toyota apologist, you will be disappointed). The only truck that I actually liked better than the Sierra was the F150. However, considering I could get a comparably equipped Sierra for a few thousand $$ less, the Sierra was definitely the better value. So far, I've had absolutely no problems...even the original tires lasted over 60,000 miles. My family has owned a number of different makes and models of vehicles in the past, including Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai. A client of mine encouraged me to check out GMC, as he runs GMC's for his business and routinely gets 300,000+ miles out of his work pick-ups. Definitely glad I did check out the Sierra. One of the best vehicles (car/truck/van) I have ever owned. Will definitely buy again if I can get another reasonable deal."

smooth ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "smooth ride"

Cons: "only driver door has keyed entry."

"This truck rides like a cadilac. Much much better that a chevy. Spend the extra money."

Great truck

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Reason: Moved to a bigger city, longer commute.

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Gas money"

"This was my first new vehicle, AWESOME!!!!! Loved every day having it. Would keep or get a newer model if my commute wasn't so far."

BEST Truck I have ever owned

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, Style, Handling, MPG, Quality, 4X4 dial"

Cons: "To many options/engines to choose from.Hard decesi"

"I have owned the Dodge 1500, I give it a 7 out of 10. I recently owned a F150 eco boost but due to the lemon law got rid of it, thank you. Give it a 0 out of 10 and I just got a GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 Z60 package. Oh my God, this truck is awesome. The engine is great and the 4 cyl to 8 cyl AFM works great saving fuel when I need too. The comfort in the Cab is so great. The turning radius and park ability is like no other truck. I will never own any thing else but a GMC. I am just upset it took me this long to get a GMC. Test ride one now and you will buy."

My 1 Year Review of 2011 Ext. Cab SLE with tow pkg

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, fun to drive, nice looking truck"

Cons: "Thin side panels prone to door dings."

"I have owned this truck for 1 year now. I have the 5.3L V8 with 6spd trans. So far, the truck has performed well on two long road trips (MPG 19.5) at 75 to 80 MPH. I average about 16 mpg in town. Truck is comfortable. I got it with Blue Tooth, and I love it, A/C works great (I live in AZ). My only complaint so far is the door panels seem to be pretty thin. I have a nasty door ding that occured without much force. Other than that the truck has been solid. I will try to remember to update for year 2!"

Joy to drive extremly powerful, can tow anything,

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "Very well made, solid body"

Cons: "Should have gotten it sooner"

"Had 2000 Silverado 2500 4X4 with 200,000 miles. Dealer made offer I had to take. Overjoyed with decision. Rides great, feels very solid. Rear view camera makes hooking up to trailer very easy. My wife has a Caddilac SRX and she keeps "taking" my truck. Its a race to the garage every morning."

Best Truck I have owned

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

"I purchased my Sierra Denali new, in the past during service I have been given Cadillacs as loaners and couldnt wait to get my Sierra Denali back, Great Power, Great ride, outstanding in every way. I have 5 other vehicles Including a SL55 AMG and a 650 convertable and when I have a choice of which set of keys to grab it seems that it is always my 2008 Sierra Denali (as you can see by the miles I have put on it in the short time I have owned it) I would buy another one, as a result of driving in my truck my business partner has purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra and feels the same way about his truck."

best dependable truck ever!

By on Sunday, June 06, 2010

"I brought this truck brand new in 05 it has 29,000 on it looks great! Only thing I wish Gm would do if you buy something brand new you should be able to tell them to take the Bridgestone tires off and but Michelin tires on. As for the fuel mileage it should be better. I have 6.6 duramax,allison trans,5in dual exhausr with flow master exhaust.I wish it could ride just a little better also. But I look good coming down the road with it. It has pulled 30ft. camper with no problem and stopping with ease.I wish it had a bigger fuel tank."

Same old GM as always

By on Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Although it's probably the nicest truck made by GM it has it's quirks. The made in China aluminum wheels still flake the clear coating after 1 winter, The chrome bumpers rust after 1 winter, it also can be bent, twisted, flexed and krinkled by hand.. The body panels are soft and easily dented and the paint will show rail dust rust particles after i winter. The 36month/36000 mile warranty is still pretty much worthless as GM won't replace the wheels or bumper even after the service advisor said that they would."

Best Truck I've Ever Had!

By on Monday, September 07, 2009

"Best truck I’ve ever owned – 110,000 and still going strong! Pulls anything w/ plenty of power to spare. MPG towing 15, highway19+. Maintenance is a breeze (very well thought out). Driven cross-country several times with the whole family and would do it again in a heartbeat (no pun intended). The only issues I’ve had is that the rear brakes wear quicker than the front and the fan switch/knob had to be replaced twice."

poor workmenship

By on Sunday, March 01, 2009

"Fuel mileage poor for a diesel, Does have great power. Inteior creeks or rattles, less than a year old and had two oil leaks! Body panels dent very easy, dented fender from just leaning aginst it. Need more storage compartments around dash & console. Not a good work truck, not tough enough."