• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $32,285 - $33,142.

10/7.8

Based on 37 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

2015 GMC 3/4 ton. ALL mine & NO regrets

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pros: "Own it & No Regrets"

Cons: "None yet. She's <500 miles, studyin' it further."

"Now that i outright OWN the 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab (6.0L V8 Vortec) SLT 4x4 (Z71 Off-Road Suspension Pkg) i can relay some of my initial driving experience w/it as an owner instead of just test-driver. It gets better gas mileage than my old Jeep Cherokee V-6 2WD (both city/hwy mileage), so i can't kick. To all y'all that want better MPG's: you might best stick w/the ½ ton GMC Sierras w/Eco-Tec or Duramax engines (or whichever mfgr. brand you favor). As far as the "on-the-column" gear shifter (automatic transmission) - I didn't find mine to be "jerky" at all. My old vehicle had the on-the-console automatic shifter, & 1 before that had gear shift on the steering column. Same function but shifting on-column is NOT something you ram or slam into gear, you "slow & easy" position the shifter into proper gear otherwise "you overshot the mark" & need to re-position to correct. I checked the on-the column automatic transmission gear shift a bunch before I full-on bought mine- on account i read a review posted here that made mention of "jerky" shifting probs. Mine works just fine & IF it DIDN'T, I WOULD'T buy it. If it came up faultering after I bought it, oh boy!..you can bet I'd have it looked at, right QUICK, while under warranty. Mine shifts proper & to my liking. The truck itself is a champ! On the subject of off-road, well, I'm NOT "ditch jumpin" w/it but the 4WD (hi & lo) is just plain fine, IMO, for general all-terrain purposes. Haven't hauled "heavy" with it yet. I'm real pleased i opted to have the 20" FORGED polished aluminum GMC wheels instead of 18" alum. clad wheels! The factory spray-on bedliner is better than I expected. The paint around the very bottom of the chassis could've been finished better (I found one tiny 1/4 globule that formed a stray droplet along the very edge near the underside of the wheelhouse - slight "orange peel" where GM applies a protective undercoat beneath exterior paint color alongside to the lower left of where the assist steps normally are situate . This undercoating near bottom edge of chassis is resident on most all 4x4 Sierras I inspected while shopping, and was/is limited to the area near the rear wheel housings, drips or were visible more in some than others (i found that dealers are commonly blaming that on automated mechanical paint application). More on this in immediate follow-up."

By on Thursday, May 31, 2007

Nice truck but has problems with Lights

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Truck is stylish. Very quiet. Very little road noise. Pleasure to drive during the day. Has lots of nice features. HOWEVER, the headlights are absolutely terrible. Far too dim. Extremely hard to see on back roads. Wish I would a known this prior to purchase. Previous models have great LIGHTS. No excuse for this other other than poor engineering."

Engineering issues

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "well thought out console and itrior storage space"

Cons: "lack of interior and exterior lighting"

"Very quiet ride. Nice looking. Steps in rear bumper great idea. Sharp looking interior. Great gas mileage. 19.6 mpg on 2800 mile trip carrying 900 lbs cargo. Engineers overlooked some small but important things. Projector headlights are terrible, no peripheral lighting on hi beams, interior dome lighting is bad, outside temp reading doesn't update frequently enough, speakers in front doors stick out too far and get kicked when exiting, piping on leather seats is very irritating when exiting or entering frequently, no provision to turn off auto door locks, infotainment screen is too bright for night driving and cannot be dimmed independently from the dash lighting, interior is super quiet but I still have to listen to the key fob rattle against the steering column on uneven roads, side mirrors are too small and can't see rear wheels with them, steering wheel mounted controls are no longer at your fingertips but are now smaller and mounted higher up and can't be felt with gloves on. Less vision out windshield compared to previous model. I use this truck for work and a lot of times at night with entry and exit at least 50 times a day. This truck is not as convenient or comfortable as the previous model."

Great truck!

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "A huge step up from last body style."

Cons: "None - yet."

"Upgraded to this truck from a 2001 Silverado and 2004 Titan. The thing that interested me in this year's remake was the fact that the truck no longer looks like a fleet truck (especially inside) as it did from 2007-2013. The interior styling and finishes are on par with other trucks in the class now (simulated leather wrapped dash, leather wheel, 8" screen, etc) and the exterior styling is much better looking in my opinion. GM has included updated features such as LED interior and bed lighting, electric power steering, and the Intellilink system. I have read complaints about the interior lighting, but I have no problem with it. The headlights are marginal, but the fog lights more than make up for the lack of main headlight power (at close range, anyway). The only issue I have noticed are that the transmission can be jittery through turns at times - may just be this truck."

Not Impressed

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "exterior styling rear bumper steps"

Cons: "lighting and electrical gremlins"

"Front doors are to small, headlights are a total joke, dome light not quite as bright as a match,gas mileage is poorer than my 2011 i traded. Three times I have used display to end a phone call the power seat moves ahead and the pedals back really gets your attention in town or on a two lane road."

not as good as 2012 GMC

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "looks good"

Cons: "worst than previous model"

"Very disappointed in GM engineering. Interior dome lighting almost non existent. Headlights on SLT are terrible. Windshield wipers park below the glass and defrosters will not thaw them out if they are frozen down. Defrosters only blow in center of windshield, there are no diffusers to direct air to either side of windshield. Defrosters will not keep windshield clear when driving in snow. Can't imagine trying to plow snow with this truck. Boze speakers are a waste of 500 dollars. Bulges in hood reduce forward visibility."

WOW what a truck.

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Quiteness, handling, technology"

"Traded my 2011 Silverado for this 2014 Sierra Crew Cab SLT and what a difference. It's like a luxury vehicle inside. Smooth and extremely quite ride. It doesnt even feel like your driving a truck. And I can beat my buddies ECOBOOST on this V8 with a better tow rating. The only negative would say is with the 3.42 rear end the gas miledge isn't much better than the 11 but it is still being broken in so I'll give it some time."

Potential Truck of Year

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "N/A"

"Truck is awesome;ride is comfortable and so quiet. Voice activated steering wheel controls are convenient. Lights in bed truck at night a nice feature. Step up bumper makes easy entry to bed truck. Steering is very responsive and makes both driving and parking relatively easy. Parking sensors in both front and back another nice feature. The V-8 SLT Z71 mpg on the road has been as high as 23 miles per gallon (straight highway driving). Back seat has additional leg room than 2013 model. Storage compartments galore- including huge storage bin between front seats. Navigation system is the most user friendly I have ever had in a car. This is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned."

I Love It

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

"This is the best Truck i have ever ridden in. Smooth ride and good fuel mileage for a truck."

Gmc sierra's best yet.

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Ride,comfort,ease of instrument panel."

"I bought this truck In November. Owning 4 GMC'S Trucks dating back too 2002. This truck is by far the best of all. The ride is like driving in a Cadillac. The sound proof trim makes the ride so comfortable. The 4 wheel drive goes through snow like im driving on dry pavement. If your looking for a truck and i mean a real truck. Not ford,dodge,Toyota. This by far is the real deal."

Top Quality

By on Thursday, April 14, 2011

"The 2011 GMC SLE 4X4 is a top quality truck. It offers all the luxury's you want and is a tough truck. From the exterior to the interior, this is one sharp vehicle. I gave it 4 stars, only because of the subpar gas milage. However, I bought this vehicle knowing the gas milage was low. Gas prices, who cares! I want a tough truck. You can't go wrong. This truck is tougher and better looking than the Chevy Z71 package. BUY AMERICAN."

Best Truck I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior, responsive engine, great looks"

Cons: "I have no cons at this time"

"I got this truck in Feb 2014 and traded in a 2013 Chevy Silverado with about the same features. I was impressed with the looks, handling and new interior of the 2014 Sierra as it has been a great truck so far. I have read other reviews that were not so high on the truck but at this point it is by far the best truck I have ever owned. I have owned Chevy's, Toyota's, Fords and Dodges and none of those trucks are anywhere as nice as this Sierra. It is a 1500 Double Cab 4X4 Z71 5.3 V8"

You are King of the Road with this baby!

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "Good value, awesome power, fun to drive"

Cons: "Don't care for the V4 feature"

"Traded in a flawless GMC Duramax for this Sierra SLT with the 6.2 liter engine. It has less low end torque than the D-Max and took a bit of getting used to. The interior finish is superb and the ride is unlike any truck I have driven. The power of the 420HP L-86 engine leaves every other truck in the dust. The styling, although sedate, is still attractive. The exterior finish is absent the lousy 'orange peel' look so prevalent on the older GM trucks. I gave an excellent rating for most categories, but slightly lower for reliability as this is a first year model, however I have no issues to report. I have read about concerns over the headlight illumination and vibration issues, but I have not experienced either. I travelled up through Massachusetts and into New Hampshire last evening......75 MPH, solid on the road and great to drive!"

This is my first GMC TRUCK. LOVE IT!

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Great Exterior Look, Lots of cab room"

Cons: "No consOnly 2500Miles,but Noregrets at this point"

"After owning several pick up trucks of different size and from different manufacturers, this is my first GMC truck. I love it. The price was great. I have tons of room in the cab. It handles as well as smaller trucks I have owned in the past. It does everything I ask it to do. I will be a returning customer. I am sold on the value of my Sierra. Looks great, runs great and didn't break the bank for me."

Luxurious

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pros: "Smooth and quiet ride, good fuel efficiency"

Cons: "Audio interface sluggish and flakey"

"I recently traded a 2011 Mercedes-Benz C300 and a 2012 RAM 1500 Express to buy the 2014 GMC Sierra. My truck is a double cab SLE with the All-Terrain package, SLE Value package and the 5.3 V8 with 4.43 gearing. The only difference I can see in this truck and the SLT model with the same towing package are cloth seats (All-Terrain specific) on my truck and leather on the SLT models and the lack of adjustable pedals. Otherwise, everything is there. Here are some of my favorite features. Heated bucket seats, backup camera, Bose speakers (not listed on sticker or GMC materials, but clearly labeled inside the truck and sound quality is OBVIOUSLY better than other SLEs) and the center console. Except for the lack of leather on the seats, this is truly a luxury truck that is every bit as comfortable and quiet as the Mercedes I traded in. With the V8 and 3.43 compromise gearing (3.08 are the cruising and 3.78 are the towing) I so far am getting 17 MPG in suburban driving and 21 MPG in 75 MPH highway cruising on regular unleaded. In contrast, my old 2012 RAM with the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 and 3.98 towing gears would return 14 suburban and 18 highway. The new truck is super comfortable, very smooth on most pavement and extremely quiet, though you can definitely tell its a truck on poor road surfaces. I haven't tried the four wheel drive yet, but I love that it has an auto mode for heavy rain and can shift on the fly between 2WD, Auto and 4WD High. All Terrain package has the Z71 suspension with Rancho shocks and skid plates, so I'm sure this, with 4WD Low will make an excellent ride when the pavement ends. No issues so far other than the audio system responds sluggishly to commands (works though) and the USB is a bit flakey with my iPhone ."

poor shifting, and gas mileage

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "nice ride, good towing capablity"

Cons: "jerky shifting, poor gas milage."

"feds say this truck is suppose to get 18mpg city, 22 mpg highway. Really gets 12mpg city 20 highway"

Wish I'd bought something else

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, tows well, brakes good nice looking"

Cons: "gas guzzler"

"Vehicle rides good, Center dash controls inconvenient and audio controls are overboard. Fuel economy terrible with gas engine. 7-9 towing. Overall 13.5 at best"

A lot of Truck for the $$$

By on Sunday, March 30, 2008

"I have been searching for a truck to replace my '93 Chevy that boasts 190,000 miles. After searching for a couple years I found the answer in the GMC Sierra. It has all of the comforts of a luxury SUV while at the same time affording the lucky owner the ruggedness of a truck. The gas mileage is poor (5.3 Liter) but can be somewhat controlled with the auto 4 cylinder feature. The power and handling rival that of a sedan. The only thing I have found that I really do not care for is the inerior cloth seats which seem to pick up a lot of lint."

Wow! That's the truck you WANT to have handy.

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Fine mechanical design+creature comforts a plenty"

Cons: "Will let y'all know if it doesn't make the grades"

"Everyone was checking out Ford pickups. I took a hard look & test-drove out of curiousity. Meh. Initially, i was intent on a Chevy Silverado LTZ & caught a glimpse of the 2015 GMC 2500HD Sierra SLT Z71 (Vortec 6.0L V8 4x4). Cowgirl's Cadillac, you say..why not?! This is an elegant yet practical vehicle. True, it does use up a hefty bit of fuel, but anyone who has had a 2500 HD truck knows they are powerful fuel thirsty machines. After a year of OEM comparisons (Year/Make/Model), I made my way to several Certified GM lots here & there. I drove several various model GM pickups. Then, after months of looking for the best value..there it was! My "cowgirl Cadillac". Rides like a dream..what a TRUCK!! No small wonder they make a TX Edition. Texans "put a lot a store" by what makes for a worthy truck. Since I've lived where tornadoes & hurricanes can do their worst (raised to BE PREPARED) I need a truck that can tow/haul me, my canine krewe (plus a bevy of sundry household goods) reliably on very short notice or during mandatory hurricane evac. If you've been thru this - you won't squirm excessively over the extra cost of MPG's. Getting back home after a tornado/hurricane means waiting for the "dust to settle" & clearance to return home (most bad case scenarios - 4x4 is a must). I've primarily owned Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac, a couple foreign V4, and Jeep. No Fords (no offense). Depenability plus functionality, makes for practical. I'll take that 2015 GMC Sierra Crew 2500 6.0L V8 4x4 Z71, thank you. I know its all that I will need (and more overall value for the $). Anyone ever sit put inching along thru gridlock during hurricane evac w/a full load on? Another GMC..SOLD! I'll put in my next review at @ 500 miles - to post what, if any, "Cons" I come across. I keep all my vehicles, "till the wheels fall off". Best to all, Christmas 2014, many prayers go out to Mississippi tornado victims, from an old gal that remembers the aftermaths of "bad wind" what came thru TX, MS, LA, AL and GA."

Super quiet and comfortable

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Pros: "Quiet Comfortable Powerful"

Cons: "Nothing"

"Other than a couple of recalls which were quickly rectified by the dealer this is the best truck for the money, Very roomy and comfortable and powerful. best technology in a truck."

Best value

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "towing, gas mileage, sharp looking"

"Looked at several trucks, for the money GMC ranked the highest. Gas was a huge concern, GMC was the best among the V8s. A few small things - LED in the bed, movable tie-downs, and the step bumper are nice."

Bought GMC. NO Regrets!

By on Monday, January 12, 2015

Pros: "Great "on-the-tow" & fine "off-road""

Cons: "Attn: exterior paint application"

"Now that i OWN the 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab (6.0L V8 Vortec) SLT 4x4 - Z71 Off-Road - i can relay some of my initial daily driving experience w/it as an owner. It gets better gas mileage than my old Jeep Cherokee V-6 2WD (both city/hwy mileage), so i can't kick. To all y'all that want better MPG's: you might best stick w/the ½ ton GMC Sierras w/Eco-Tec or Duramax engines - or whichever mfgr. brand you favor. As far as the "on-the-column" gear shifter (automatic transmission) - I didn't find mine to be "jerky" at all. My old vehicle had the on-the-console automatic shifter, & the 1 before that had gear shift on the steering column. Same function but shifting on-column is NOT something you ram or slam into gear, you "slow & easy" position the shifter into proper gear otherwise "you overshot the mark" & need to re-position to correct. I checked the on-the-column automatic transmission gear shift a bunch before I bought my 2500HD, on account i read a review posted here that made mention of "jerky" shifting probs. Mine works just fine & IF it DIDN'T, heck i WOULD'NT BUY it. Mine shifts proper & to my liking. The truck itself is a champ! On the subject of off-road, well, I'm NOT "ditch jumpin" w/it but the 4WD (hi & lo) is just plain fine, for general all-terrain purposes, IMO. Haven't hauled ultra "heavy" loads with it yet. Very glad i opted to have the 20" FORGED polished aluminum GMC wheels instead of 18" aluminum clad wheels. The factory spray-on bedliner is better than I expected. The paint around the very bottom of the chassis could've been finished better (I found one tiny 1/4" globule that formed a stray droplet along the very bottom edge of chassis to the outside rear of the wheelhousings- (slight "orange peel" finish) about which i was informed by more than 1 certified dealership's sales rep that GM applies a protective undercoat beneath exterior paint color alongside to the lower rear of truck. This undercoating near bottom edge of chassis is resident on most all 4x4 Sierras I inspected while shopping, and was/is limited to the area near the exterior rear wheelhousings. The uneven paint finish was found more in some than other model GM & Ford trucks I saw (i found that dealers are commonly blaming this on automated mechanical paint application). Its not the 1st time I had noticed this (in previous models of GM & Ford trucks, while looking to buy). In any event, it always pays to inspect quality of exterior paint job, top to the very bottom edges of the chassis. As a heavy duty truck the Z71 Sierra SLT sure performs & surrounds you w/safety features + deluxe amenities. Crew cab is roomiest. Drive 1 for about 15 miles, head up hill & down - run it city & hwy. It's fine. Good "on-the-tow" while utility trailering but have to take it out heavy hauling yet. I got the feel for all the "electro-techno" options (GMC + You Tube have loads a videos, & more tutorials-to-come) that make the ride even better. Most owners want or need to make use of a couple few GM Intellilink perks, now & again. I'm real pleased I bought the GM 3/4 ton Sierra - great heavy duty truck. Mine's chock-full of SLT options. Seems the HD Sierras aren't for the folks who are hunting a vehicle w/great gas mileage. I can say a Sierra 2500HD SLT is a wise pick as a sturdy built truck for anyine that requires heavy duty truck capabilities & appreciates totalitarianism comfort. "Yesterday or today", most often it's still a case of "you get what you pay for"."

First GMC

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Nice ride and very comfortable"

Cons: "Large turning radius"

"With only 1000 plus miles on our 2014 SLT crew cab it's to early to tell on the reliability factor. Its a very nice ride. Very quite cabin, very comfortable with the leather bucket seats, and nice interior design. Workmanship is excellent."

Very nice truck overall

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

"my truck is still new and not broke in, but i am very happy so far. i'm getting around 16mpg driving everyday (and i'm kinda hard on my vehicles, so this is good for me) and went on a recent trip and got almost 21mpg. the interior is set up user friendly, and is very quiet going down the road. some of the new features (steps in bumper, under-rail lighting in box, trailer brake controller, etc) are very handy. my only gripe so far would be if you actually use this vehicle off road, the new wheel-well liners are a pain to clean once dirty (they are some sort of carpet material, i'm sure this has something to do with road noise)."