• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $42,070 - $43,499.

10/7.8

Based on 43 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

By on Thursday, May 31, 2007

Comfortable, powerful, refined highway manner

By on Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Pros: "Ride,Steering,Quietness,MPG,Power,Interior Quality"

Cons: "Transmission Quirks, Slow Nav and Interface"

"Family and friends were shocked when I showed up with a new GMC 1500 SLT Crew Cab in the driveway. My tastes have run towards German sedans and Japanese SUV's with a 1995 Jeep Wrangler being the only domestic product I had bought in 30 years of vehicle ownership. Domestic products had never offered the reliability of the Japanese, the driving dynamics of the Europeans, or the interior quality of either (especially the Europeans). I had intended to supplement or replace a beloved and dead reliable Toyota 4Runner with 215,000 trouble-free miles with something more modern and upscale, but similarly capable off-road. The Toyota Land Cruiser was one such vehicle that has intrigued me for a long time - with it's DNA of being over-engineered, its understated presence and well-known durability and reliability. In the mean time, I had ridden in an associates 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab and was startled by the compliant ride and overall quietness of it in operation. I had not ridden in a pickup in perhaps 10 years. It was far more comfortable than a 2000 Lincoln Navigator that I had owned back in the day. The interior, while not the most "exciting" I have seen, surely was leaps and bounds better the the old Navigator's in quality. I test drove a Land Cruiser in the following weeks, and while built like the proverbial tank, the ride was not nearly as nice as the Silverado's and the acceleration was not impressive. It quickly became clear that engineering behind the Land Cruiser was very outdated compared to the Chevy's, shown also in the 5-speed transmission and abysmal EPA figures. For the first time I started to entertain the idea of owning a full-size Pickup or full-size domestic SUV in lieu of an imported midsize or "almost" full-size SUV. I initially though the Toyota Tundra would be my top candidate. I like the interior of the 1794 edition, but as with the Land Cruiser, it is in need of an update, with a ride and efficiency level that couldn't compare with the Silverado's I also looked at the Yukon and Tahoe (gorgeous interiors IMO), but the reduction in cargo space from the previous gen and inability to delete the 3rd row seating reduced the desirability for me. The biggest problem in my mind was the astronomical pricing (easily $70k when optioned) of these sleds, putting them in Range Rover/Land Rover and Mercedes GL territory, predicting a level of depreciation I can't stomach. Long story short, I looked at all the domestic trucks and gravitated to the GMC line. The Ram is supposed to have the best ride (and also is the only one with a 1/2 ton diesel option (which I like), but the aesthetics and interior design are too "gaudy" for me. The Ford F-150 did not feel as good on the road to me as the GMC and one has to go the "eco-boost" route with a 6 or 4 cylinder because the V-8 at this point seems to be in leftover mode. I know the Sierra and Silverado are identical underneath but I find the styling of the GMC to be more understated and elegant (if one can say that about a truck) One does not have to venture far on the internet to find out what testers think about the 6.2 litre "Corvette" (almost) engine does to this thing. It is a blast to drive and it is addictive.I ended up purchasing an SLT Crew Cab with the 6.2 and almost all the bells and whistles, putting the price within $2,000 of an equally equiped Denali but having the Z71 Off-Road package that I wanted and which is not available on the Denali. To say this truck has exceeded almost all my expectaions would be an understatment. Other than an occasional rough downshift out of the new 8-speed transmission (which I hope will be fixed with new programming) and rather slow to respond info screen with somewhat second-rate TomTom Navi, I have absolutely no complainants. The interior is beautifully assembled and with high quality components including stitched leather real aluminum (and I am partial to Audi interiors. I can work from my truck with 4G LTE built-in hotspot. Pandora, XM, weather radar and multiple USB ports, DC and 110v outlets all in the front console, make it a pleasure and productive to spend time in this vehicle. What this vehicle most excels at however, is transporting you down the interstate in immense and effortless comfort and silence. Set the air-conditioned leather sears on, cue up the iPhone or Pandora on the Bose stereo and I'm good for a 1,000 mile jaunt. It tracks as straight as any German car I have owned - it drives and handles more like a "car" than either the F150, Ram or Tundra. The ride reminds me of a slightly stiffer version of traditional American luxury cars from the 60's or 70's - due in no small part I'm sure to the 144-inch wheelbase. With triple weather sealing and active noise cancellation, it's as quiet as a 1960's Cadillac, too. With the optional 6.2 litre passing power is instantaneous - with testing showing an under 6-second 0-60. Rest assured 55 to 75 happens in a blink of an eye. And the best part? Over the course of my initial 4,500 miles I have averaged just over 19 MPG calculated manually. Without a headwind (which has a large effect on truck MPG at highway speeds) I average around 22 MPG at 70 MPH and 25 MPG at 60 MPH. This is mind-boggling to me considering this engines feels like a barley-tamed lion underfoot, putting out 420 HO and 460 lb-ft of torque. With V8/V4 technology, direct fuel injection and the 8-speed transmission, there was simply no need to settle for the 5.3 Having grown up in the 60's and 70's in a "GM" family, I had become a hardened critic of their accountant and marketing-consultant designed products - especially since the Roger Smith era of the 80's. The products literally insulted my intelligence. Turn to 2015 - and..this is a great truck. "If" it proves reliable in the long-term, I will have become one of the lost consumers that at least one domestic vehicle maker has brought back into the fold."

2015 GMC 3/4 ton. ALL mine & NO regrets

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pros: "Own it & No Regrets"

Cons: "None yet. She's <500 miles, studyin' it further."

"Now that i outright OWN the 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab (6.0L V8 Vortec) SLT 4x4 (Z71 Off-Road Suspension Pkg) i can relay some of my initial driving experience w/it as an owner instead of just test-driver. It gets better gas mileage than my old Jeep Cherokee V-6 2WD (both city/hwy mileage), so i can't kick. To all y'all that want better MPG's: you might best stick w/the ½ ton GMC Sierras w/Eco-Tec or Duramax engines (or whichever mfgr. brand you favor). As far as the "on-the-column" gear shifter (automatic transmission) - I didn't find mine to be "jerky" at all. My old vehicle had the on-the-console automatic shifter, & 1 before that had gear shift on the steering column. Same function but shifting on-column is NOT something you ram or slam into gear, you "slow & easy" position the shifter into proper gear otherwise "you overshot the mark" & need to re-position to correct. I checked the on-the column automatic transmission gear shift a bunch before I full-on bought mine- on account i read a review posted here that made mention of "jerky" shifting probs. Mine works just fine & IF it DIDN'T, I WOULD'T buy it. If it came up faultering after I bought it, oh boy!..you can bet I'd have it looked at, right QUICK, while under warranty. Mine shifts proper & to my liking. The truck itself is a champ! On the subject of off-road, well, I'm NOT "ditch jumpin" w/it but the 4WD (hi & lo) is just plain fine, IMO, for general all-terrain purposes. Haven't hauled "heavy" with it yet. I'm real pleased i opted to have the 20" FORGED polished aluminum GMC wheels instead of 18" alum. clad wheels! The factory spray-on bedliner is better than I expected. The paint around the very bottom of the chassis could've been finished better (I found one tiny 1/4 globule that formed a stray droplet along the very edge near the underside of the wheelhouse - slight "orange peel" where GM applies a protective undercoat beneath exterior paint color alongside to the lower left of where the assist steps normally are situate . This undercoating near bottom edge of chassis is resident on most all 4x4 Sierras I inspected while shopping, and was/is limited to the area near the rear wheel housings, drips or were visible more in some than others (i found that dealers are commonly blaming that on automated mechanical paint application). More on this in immediate follow-up."

Engineering issues

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "well thought out console and itrior storage space"

Cons: "lack of interior and exterior lighting"

"Very quiet ride. Nice looking. Steps in rear bumper great idea. Sharp looking interior. Great gas mileage. 19.6 mpg on 2800 mile trip carrying 900 lbs cargo. Engineers overlooked some small but important things. Projector headlights are terrible, no peripheral lighting on hi beams, interior dome lighting is bad, outside temp reading doesn't update frequently enough, speakers in front doors stick out too far and get kicked when exiting, piping on leather seats is very irritating when exiting or entering frequently, no provision to turn off auto door locks, infotainment screen is too bright for night driving and cannot be dimmed independently from the dash lighting, interior is super quiet but I still have to listen to the key fob rattle against the steering column on uneven roads, side mirrors are too small and can't see rear wheels with them, steering wheel mounted controls are no longer at your fingertips but are now smaller and mounted higher up and can't be felt with gloves on. Less vision out windshield compared to previous model. I use this truck for work and a lot of times at night with entry and exit at least 50 times a day. This truck is not as convenient or comfortable as the previous model."

Nice truck but has problems with Lights

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Truck is stylish. Very quiet. Very little road noise. Pleasure to drive during the day. Has lots of nice features. HOWEVER, the headlights are absolutely terrible. Far too dim. Extremely hard to see on back roads. Wish I would a known this prior to purchase. Previous models have great LIGHTS. No excuse for this other other than poor engineering."

Great truck!

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "A huge step up from last body style."

Cons: "None - yet."

"Upgraded to this truck from a 2001 Silverado and 2004 Titan. The thing that interested me in this year's remake was the fact that the truck no longer looks like a fleet truck (especially inside) as it did from 2007-2013. The interior styling and finishes are on par with other trucks in the class now (simulated leather wrapped dash, leather wheel, 8" screen, etc) and the exterior styling is much better looking in my opinion. GM has included updated features such as LED interior and bed lighting, electric power steering, and the Intellilink system. I have read complaints about the interior lighting, but I have no problem with it. The headlights are marginal, but the fog lights more than make up for the lack of main headlight power (at close range, anyway). The only issue I have noticed are that the transmission can be jittery through turns at times - may just be this truck."

Not Impressed

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "exterior styling rear bumper steps"

Cons: "lighting and electrical gremlins"

"Front doors are to small, headlights are a total joke, dome light not quite as bright as a match,gas mileage is poorer than my 2011 i traded. Three times I have used display to end a phone call the power seat moves ahead and the pedals back really gets your attention in town or on a two lane road."

WOW what a truck.

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Quiteness, handling, technology"

"Traded my 2011 Silverado for this 2014 Sierra Crew Cab SLT and what a difference. It's like a luxury vehicle inside. Smooth and extremely quite ride. It doesnt even feel like your driving a truck. And I can beat my buddies ECOBOOST on this V8 with a better tow rating. The only negative would say is with the 3.42 rear end the gas miledge isn't much better than the 11 but it is still being broken in so I'll give it some time."

Potential Truck of Year

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "N/A"

"Truck is awesome;ride is comfortable and so quiet. Voice activated steering wheel controls are convenient. Lights in bed truck at night a nice feature. Step up bumper makes easy entry to bed truck. Steering is very responsive and makes both driving and parking relatively easy. Parking sensors in both front and back another nice feature. The V-8 SLT Z71 mpg on the road has been as high as 23 miles per gallon (straight highway driving). Back seat has additional leg room than 2013 model. Storage compartments galore- including huge storage bin between front seats. Navigation system is the most user friendly I have ever had in a car. This is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned."

I Love It

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

"This is the best Truck i have ever ridden in. Smooth ride and good fuel mileage for a truck."

Gmc sierra's best yet.

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Ride,comfort,ease of instrument panel."

"I bought this truck In November. Owning 4 GMC'S Trucks dating back too 2002. This truck is by far the best of all. The ride is like driving in a Cadillac. The sound proof trim makes the ride so comfortable. The 4 wheel drive goes through snow like im driving on dry pavement. If your looking for a truck and i mean a real truck. Not ford,dodge,Toyota. This by far is the real deal."

not as good as 2012 GMC

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "looks good"

Cons: "worst than previous model"

"Very disappointed in GM engineering. Interior dome lighting almost non existent. Headlights on SLT are terrible. Windshield wipers park below the glass and defrosters will not thaw them out if they are frozen down. Defrosters only blow in center of windshield, there are no diffusers to direct air to either side of windshield. Defrosters will not keep windshield clear when driving in snow. Can't imagine trying to plow snow with this truck. Boze speakers are a waste of 500 dollars. Bulges in hood reduce forward visibility."

Top Quality

By on Thursday, April 14, 2011

"The 2011 GMC SLE 4X4 is a top quality truck. It offers all the luxury's you want and is a tough truck. From the exterior to the interior, this is one sharp vehicle. I gave it 4 stars, only because of the subpar gas milage. However, I bought this vehicle knowing the gas milage was low. Gas prices, who cares! I want a tough truck. You can't go wrong. This truck is tougher and better looking than the Chevy Z71 package. BUY AMERICAN."

Best Truck I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior, responsive engine, great looks"

Cons: "I have no cons at this time"

"I got this truck in Feb 2014 and traded in a 2013 Chevy Silverado with about the same features. I was impressed with the looks, handling and new interior of the 2014 Sierra as it has been a great truck so far. I have read other reviews that were not so high on the truck but at this point it is by far the best truck I have ever owned. I have owned Chevy's, Toyota's, Fords and Dodges and none of those trucks are anywhere as nice as this Sierra. It is a 1500 Double Cab 4X4 Z71 5.3 V8"

You are King of the Road with this baby!

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "Good value, awesome power, fun to drive"

Cons: "Don't care for the V4 feature"

"Traded in a flawless GMC Duramax for this Sierra SLT with the 6.2 liter engine. It has less low end torque than the D-Max and took a bit of getting used to. The interior finish is superb and the ride is unlike any truck I have driven. The power of the 420HP L-86 engine leaves every other truck in the dust. The styling, although sedate, is still attractive. The exterior finish is absent the lousy 'orange peel' look so prevalent on the older GM trucks. I gave an excellent rating for most categories, but slightly lower for reliability as this is a first year model, however I have no issues to report. I have read about concerns over the headlight illumination and vibration issues, but I have not experienced either. I travelled up through Massachusetts and into New Hampshire last evening......75 MPH, solid on the road and great to drive!"

Wow, what a ride

By on Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pros: "Great, smooth ride. Looks very cool!"

Cons: "Seat comfort"

"Bought a Sierra SLE Carbon Edition. Already drove it through snow, ice and mud and it handed like a dream. The 20 inch wheels make me feel like I'm on top of the driving world. LOVE the entertainment system and all the places to put things. My 2007 Sierra was a work truck trim so it was pretty bare-bones. My only complaint so far is that the seats seem cheap and are lacking a lot of padding and extra lumbar support. The interior looks very classy and will probably hold up better than the 2007 did."

This is my first GMC TRUCK. LOVE IT!

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Great Exterior Look, Lots of cab room"

Cons: "No consOnly 2500Miles,but Noregrets at this point"

"After owning several pick up trucks of different size and from different manufacturers, this is my first GMC truck. I love it. The price was great. I have tons of room in the cab. It handles as well as smaller trucks I have owned in the past. It does everything I ask it to do. I will be a returning customer. I am sold on the value of my Sierra. Looks great, runs great and didn't break the bank for me."

Wish I'd bought something else

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, tows well, brakes good nice looking"

Cons: "gas guzzler"

"Vehicle rides good, Center dash controls inconvenient and audio controls are overboard. Fuel economy terrible with gas engine. 7-9 towing. Overall 13.5 at best"

Luxurious

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pros: "Smooth and quiet ride, good fuel efficiency"

Cons: "Audio interface sluggish and flakey"

"I recently traded a 2011 Mercedes-Benz C300 and a 2012 RAM 1500 Express to buy the 2014 GMC Sierra. My truck is a double cab SLE with the All-Terrain package, SLE Value package and the 5.3 V8 with 4.43 gearing. The only difference I can see in this truck and the SLT model with the same towing package are cloth seats (All-Terrain specific) on my truck and leather on the SLT models and the lack of adjustable pedals. Otherwise, everything is there. Here are some of my favorite features. Heated bucket seats, backup camera, Bose speakers (not listed on sticker or GMC materials, but clearly labeled inside the truck and sound quality is OBVIOUSLY better than other SLEs) and the center console. Except for the lack of leather on the seats, this is truly a luxury truck that is every bit as comfortable and quiet as the Mercedes I traded in. With the V8 and 3.43 compromise gearing (3.08 are the cruising and 3.78 are the towing) I so far am getting 17 MPG in suburban driving and 21 MPG in 75 MPH highway cruising on regular unleaded. In contrast, my old 2012 RAM with the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 and 3.98 towing gears would return 14 suburban and 18 highway. The new truck is super comfortable, very smooth on most pavement and extremely quiet, though you can definitely tell its a truck on poor road surfaces. I haven't tried the four wheel drive yet, but I love that it has an auto mode for heavy rain and can shift on the fly between 2WD, Auto and 4WD High. All Terrain package has the Z71 suspension with Rancho shocks and skid plates, so I'm sure this, with 4WD Low will make an excellent ride when the pavement ends. No issues so far other than the audio system responds sluggishly to commands (works though) and the USB is a bit flakey with my iPhone ."

poor shifting, and gas mileage

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "nice ride, good towing capablity"

Cons: "jerky shifting, poor gas milage."

"feds say this truck is suppose to get 18mpg city, 22 mpg highway. Really gets 12mpg city 20 highway"

A lot of Truck for the $$$

By on Sunday, March 30, 2008

"I have been searching for a truck to replace my '93 Chevy that boasts 190,000 miles. After searching for a couple years I found the answer in the GMC Sierra. It has all of the comforts of a luxury SUV while at the same time affording the lucky owner the ruggedness of a truck. The gas mileage is poor (5.3 Liter) but can be somewhat controlled with the auto 4 cylinder feature. The power and handling rival that of a sedan. The only thing I have found that I really do not care for is the inerior cloth seats which seem to pick up a lot of lint."

Quiet cab, comfortable ride.

By on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

"Drives great, quiet interior, good gas milage, plenty of power. still getting use to the longer bed 6.5 vs my 2012 gmc's 5'8 bed. Truck pushes a little bit more than my previous truck in the corners. Overall great truck! I would bet the truck could be a little cheaper on the sticker price if GMC wouldn't have so many commercials on TV!"

Wow! That's the truck you WANT to have handy.

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Fine mechanical design+creature comforts a plenty"

Cons: "Will let y'all know if it doesn't make the grades"

"Everyone was checking out Ford pickups. I took a hard look & test-drove out of curiousity. Meh. Initially, i was intent on a Chevy Silverado LTZ & caught a glimpse of the 2015 GMC 2500HD Sierra SLT Z71 (Vortec 6.0L V8 4x4). Cowgirl's Cadillac, you say..why not?! This is an elegant yet practical vehicle. True, it does use up a hefty bit of fuel, but anyone who has had a 2500 HD truck knows they are powerful fuel thirsty machines. After a year of OEM comparisons (Year/Make/Model), I made my way to several Certified GM lots here & there. I drove several various model GM pickups. Then, after months of looking for the best value..there it was! My "cowgirl Cadillac". Rides like a dream..what a TRUCK!! No small wonder they make a TX Edition. Texans "put a lot a store" by what makes for a worthy truck. Since I've lived where tornadoes & hurricanes can do their worst (raised to BE PREPARED) I need a truck that can tow/haul me, my canine krewe (plus a bevy of sundry household goods) reliably on very short notice or during mandatory hurricane evac. If you've been thru this - you won't squirm excessively over the extra cost of MPG's. Getting back home after a tornado/hurricane means waiting for the "dust to settle" & clearance to return home (most bad case scenarios - 4x4 is a must). I've primarily owned Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac, a couple foreign V4, and Jeep. No Fords (no offense). Depenability plus functionality, makes for practical. I'll take that 2015 GMC Sierra Crew 2500 6.0L V8 4x4 Z71, thank you. I know its all that I will need (and more overall value for the $). Anyone ever sit put inching along thru gridlock during hurricane evac w/a full load on? Another GMC..SOLD! I'll put in my next review at @ 500 miles - to post what, if any, "Cons" I come across. I keep all my vehicles, "till the wheels fall off". Best to all, Christmas 2014, many prayers go out to Mississippi tornado victims, from an old gal that remembers the aftermaths of "bad wind" what came thru TX, MS, LA, AL and GA."

Super quiet and comfortable

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Pros: "Quiet Comfortable Powerful"

Cons: "Nothing"

"Other than a couple of recalls which were quickly rectified by the dealer this is the best truck for the money, Very roomy and comfortable and powerful. best technology in a truck."

Exceptional truck and great so far

By on Friday, April 17, 2015

Pros: "Quiet, capable, comfortable"

Cons: "Base V6 not up to serious loads"

"I now have 16,000 miles on my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4 All-Terrain Edition and can give a decent review. I purchased it with 3k miles on it and saved a bundle over the cost of a new one. This is my first GMC. I have owned Chevy, Dodge, and Ford. My last one being a 2004 F-150 XLT Crew Cab that had almost 200K miles when I gave it to my son. Hopefully this one will do as well. I looked at all the competition and the GMC seemed to offer the biggest bang for the buck. Mine has the SLE package, 20” wheels and the All-Terrain package which includes most everything I can ever imagine needing and much more luxurious that I am used to in a truck. I have a BMW and this is honestly better equipped. It has been flawless as far as reliability of the vehicle. No issues at all. My biggest regret is not shopping around for a 5.3 engine version. This one has base 6 cyl and it is lacking for power when trying to haul a heavy trailer. Without a load the engine is fine but if you’re going to haul, definitely look for one with the V8 engine options. Some have complained the headlights are weak but they seem fine to me. The sets seem a bit thin on padding but I have covercraft seat covers that include ¼ foam and they made a huge difference in long trip comfort. The lack of rear vents for the heating and AC seems to be the most foolish design flaw I have noticed. Kids in the back complain and BTW-kids are the only ones that will be comfortable in the back seat of the double-cab version. It’s a tight fit for adults. My mileage has bested at 23.5 mpg highway over a 350 mile run. My average per tank has been about 17 with mixed driving. My Ford averaged 14. Not a huge improvement but not terrible for a full sized truck. The bright side for shoppers looking for a used truck, the depreciation hit seems larger than Fords for the first year or two so you can get a good price if you shop around. I live in Virginia and went to Michigan to get this one and the savings we well worth it. Now if I can just quit spending on accessories…."