1997 GMC Safari Cargo

8.1

Based on 149 Ratings for the 1995 - 2005 models.

Great Van

By on Thursday, September 08, 2011

Cons: "this Van has everything"

"Great family Van...Low miles...Very Dependable..No mechanical problems...Only think is it has a dent in driver rear has a 15 year girl hit me but it not bad at all..."

dependable

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"I have owned this vehicle for 6yrs and trouble free so far. Went on 5000 mile trip last year, avg 21mpg @ 70+mph. Very comfortable and dependable. Has many options which made the trip enjoyable. Also has towing package, so I have towed a large tandem axle car trailer loaded with furniture with no problems. Overall, very satisfactory so far."

Poor mechanics, good useability

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"Bought this vehicle new in 2000, outfitted with AWD and a limited slip differential in the back. As I tow a small 14 foot boat and utility trailer I wanted something that could easily handle it and set the vehicle up to do so. In the first year I replaced the rear axle, transfer case. By the end of year two, I replaced the lower oil pan gasket, cooler line, water pump twice. All covered under warranty, By now, I have 110,000 miles and have replaced the rear axel bearings (not uncommon with this GMC axel), oil cooler line three times. Remainder of repairs (battery, tires, brakes) I expect at this mileage. I only tow about 15 times a year so the vehicle is not used to tow too much. This vehicle is pampered as it goes in every three months for oil change and all other maint. The inside and ride are outstanding, it does have the room to hold adults, cargo and it tows well. I have had no engine issues. The oil, cooler line is still an issue, only an incompetent designs a line that starts as hard tubing connects to rubber then back to hard tubing than back to rubber and then puts it on the bottom of a vehicle. The extreme temperatures we experience are sure to spell ruin for a line with that many compression fittings and it has. The line usually lasts about two years before it starts to leak. As I believe this may be part of the towing package,, it may not be relevant to ones that do not have that package. I did expected better in reliability(especially from the drivetrain) from a model that has been out this long."

van is customized with new paint and logo

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

Pros: "One of a kind"

Cons: "a women would like it also"

"the van has a 6in. lift with large off road tires toe hitch and front winch, a compressor for a three train horn and is use to fill flat tires and remote battery jumper. custom roof rack that cover the whole roof, food lights spotlights and fog lights. with low beam blue lights, front grill guard.Reverse camera with an on board video screen. A dual coolant fan. sun shades on the back windows. a ladder at the rear of the van to get to the roof with its spare off road tire. Nice and clean on the inside with standard interior. Its all black with yellow tatoo"

best van ever

By on Thursday, February 13, 2014

"we bought our safari 2003 and have had to put almost no money into it . just fuel pump and alternator it current has 320,000 miles on it and driving strong , very reliable vehicle ,can always count on it lots of room and comfort i highly recommend this van .thumbs up to GMC"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching GMC Safari Cargo near Honolulu. See local deals