2004 Ford Taurus

7.8

Based on 1334 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

Strong Car

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "Low maint. Decent MPG. Comfortable. Reliable,fast"

Cons: "side airbag leather covers want to peel away"

"Bought a 2000 Taurus sel w/ 170000 miles in 2010. Still running strong with over 273000 on it. Great in snow handles well and the 3.0 liter dohc has plenty of power. Only did brakes rotors muffler shocks coil packs, air filter and oil changes since owning. Wouldnt shift out of park one day,thought tranny was dead. It was only a teflon bushing connecting the shifter to the tranny. Found a video on Youtube on how to fix and got one from junkyard for $4.00. Easy fix under the hood. Very reliable and strong car."

Extremely reliable

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Great value over the long haul"

Cons: "Interior leather door panels peel in 3 years"

"This has been the best car I have very owned. It currently has 293,000 miles and in the last month I replaced the fuel pump. That is the ONLY repair to this vehicle besides normal maintainence."

Best Car for its Value

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "great price, roomy, extremely reliable"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"I was car shopping for three months until I found my 2002 Taurus and literally it was the best car I even touched. Hardly any dings, flawless interior, and to top it all off - it sounded smooth. No clicks, no chimes. The transmission is a little clunky when you go from park to reverse and such, but it was perfect. I take turns pretty fast for the size of this vehicle and I still haven't had any issues, so I can't relate to the other responses. After a replaced water pump, broke A/C unit (shorter belts are miracles), and an replaced engine sensor, it's still not a bad vehicle and cheap to repair. It's hard to steal (starter is located underneath) and no one really has any motivation to - thus better insurance rates. I just had my car broken into three days ago and he stole everything but was unable to steal my car. It's extremely comfortable and runs amazing for a 10 year old vehicle and I only paid 3,500 (at the dealer!). It's the perfect car for a beginning driver who needs a reliable vehicle. The transmission and engines in this model (if taken care of properly) can outshine a few others regardless on how well you treat those. My engine still sounds like the first day I turned my Taurus on and same with my transmission. I've driven it for about a year now and I believe I can still get about three more years out of it. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if I got even five more years out of it. Even though its a big of a gas hog, it's well worth the pros and I believe it is the best American made sedan. (Though avoid the 2000, 2001 models... found them to be not as satisfactory)."

Wish they still made it - solid, comfort.

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Predictable handling, performance, Comfort."

Cons: "No MPG improvement in 20 years of production."

"Very solid feel, predictable handling and performance. 29 - 30 MPG highway, 21 - 22 city. Had 1987 model. 2004 improved steering and handling, otherwise no improvements in 17 years. Ford could have done wonders with this car with a few tweaks to the engine electronics to improve MPG. Minor $$'s on this one could have made the Fusion unnecessary. Still, it's a much better car than the Fusion (own a 2010 model). Better in many ways than the new Taurus /500. Much more comfortable than the Fusion, more usable power, more room. Why did they stop making it?"

best vehicle ever

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "space, great gas milleage, seats 8 legally"

Cons: "tight leg room for rear seats, knobs seem to break"

"I have had this car for over 11 years and its been amazing. I do a lot of highway driving and live in MI in the summers and SC in the winters. I've always kept up on the genernal maintence. It doesn't have super pick-up and I don't haul things, but its never broken down on me either. Around 110k miles the gas gauge went out and now I keep track of my gas based on miles. I'm not sure if its the way I drive or just this perticular car, but I get roughly 30miles to the gallon on the highways and 24 in the cities. Around 170K miles, the AC compresser went down, though I still think it had to do with dealership adding liquid to the high pressure side (a mechanic friend not with a dealership drained it and found liquid in the gas side after I had it at the dealership cause I believe I was low on freon. Thats a whole nother story) Around 200k I had to have gaskets replaced just because they were getting old, and the mechanic told me the car looks great underneath and that its a good engine and should make 300k. Thats my hope. I also love that the rear seats fold down flat because there is enough space then to put a full size blow-up mattress (car camping). I have been searching for new cars, and I just can't find anything that I love as much as this one."

Yes, 430,000 miles on same engine & transmission

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Great car for what I used it for."

Cons: "Only seats 5. Sometimes that's a good thing."

"I bought a 2000 Ford Taurus SES when it was a year old with 18,000 miles on it. I put more that 412,000 miles on it myself. Long commutes in snow, ice, rain, heat. Dropped the back seat and hauled my skis and snowboard in it. Only regular maintenance and occasionally replacing the items normally expected to wear out - tires, battery, alternator, starter, water pump, O2 sensors, etc., except it had a front spring break at about 300,000 miles that ruined a tire and had to replace a rear axle bearing before that. Neither one a big deal. Bigger deals were parking lot fender benders, vandalism and hitting a deer. Never any major issues with the engine or the transmission, and never left me stranded, until I pushed my luck on a battered radiator - 430,000 miles of bug hits flattens radiator fins pretty well. The engine overheated this week and it needs to be replaced. Just barely replaced the muffler for the first time! Even with 430,000 miles on the car, I'm considering dropping $3k to have a used engine put in and see how much further it will go."

Comfortable, good gas mileage 24-27+;

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage; Dependable; reasonable up-keep;"

Cons: "Had some repairs at this mileage."

"Bought used, Dec. 2011; 74000 miles. I drive 500-600 miles a week. 24V 6 cyl. gets good mileage-24-27+ if you drive fairly conservative, use cruise. At that mileage, I did have some repairs come up. Kept oil changed. Overall, good, dependable car. Good size, comfortable car that gets good gas mileage for its size."

Solid commuter & everyday car....

By on Saturday, January 10, 2009

"Although there are plenty of cars that look and perform better that these cars, you can not beat them for value. I have a 2002 SES that has 135,000 on it, and it has been a solid and realiable car that I can depend on. I keep mine well maintained, and if you do you won't have the transmission troubles that some speak of. I guarantee that most of the people that have had tranny problems in these cars did not bother to have the transmission fluid and filter changes at the proper intervals."

I've had this car for two years

By on Friday, September 20, 2013

Pros: "its a cool car and fun"

Cons: "No spoiler"

"I've had this car for two years and have been satisfied ever since. its comfortable reliable very roomy and even though its 11 years old its like new to me. i LOVE the automatic seat on the drivers side that suits my comfort. as far as performance its done me absoulutely well so far! havent driven it out of town but going from one side of town to the next this car has some pretty good get up!!! other than normal wear and tear if taken very good care of you will get good life and performance out of this car. im very pleased with this car and i would recommend it to anyone unless of course you want something brand new and sporty. that's a different story but if you're looking to get something nice reliable and sporty. this is your car! #two years stong no serious problems normal wear and tear. i have leather, sunroof, automatic seat on drivers side super spacious trunk hands down this car is a really good car."

Great Car a few repairs but over all great car.

By on Thursday, February 13, 2014

Reason: No ac

Pros: "a lot of rooms, and comfortable"

Cons: "stero needs to be better."

"I brought the car at 127k and i'm now at 150k and i have replaced the battery, fuel pump, fuel injector,Colant hose, coil pack, Starter, Brakes and roders, and my struts are going out and need replaced. and my A/C hasn't worked since i purchased the car. But other than that its a great car could maybe get a little bit better gas mileage and a better stereo system but other than that its been a runner and its still my daily driver."

Excellent handling, rides smooth, Great car!

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "Cute, Reliable, Comfortable, and fun!"

Cons: "None."

"I bought this car and didn't have high expectations. It exceeded them by 100%! The interior is very room, and fov is amazing! It's extremely reliable, rides smooth, great handling. Have not had any problems with it!"

Very Reliable

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Nice Ride"

Cons: "Trans"

"I as others, have had a transmission problem, but not until 100,000 miles. Other than normal wear and tear. I have not had to put much money in it at all. The 1200.00 for the TRANS upset me. But, since that was the only major problem. I put that at $120 year over the lifetime of the car."

Never another Ford car for this guy

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Reason: tired of putting money in it

Pros: "LOL REALLY NO PROS"

Cons: "TOOOOO MANY TO LIST NEVER AGAIN"

"Wow thought I got a good deal on this car in 2008. It had 65000 miles on it and I purchased it for just over 6000 dollars. This car was okay for about 2 years and then everything started going wrong. Normal wear items I understand, tires, brakes. First of all the suspension on these cars are awful. Had to replace rear springs,shocks,struts. Front wheel baring's,stabilizer links, you name it. Heater quit working (needed new heater core) 400 parts and labor. And to top it off the blower would blow hard for about 30 min and then you could still feel the ac/heat but there was no force behind the blower. But the blower motor was not bad so I'm guessing it was maybe and actuator motor. I was so glad to get rid of this piece of junk and get my nice 2012 Honda Accord oh by the way with only 13500 miles on the Honda. I will never buy another Ford car again. Do love Ford trucks."

The Best All Arounder

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "MPGs, Engine, Safe, Practical, Reliable"

"Had this car for 10 years and have never had one mechanical failure. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, this coming from an owner of multiple Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans. It rides better than other cars in its class, seats 4 adults comfortably, and has a large trunk. I have gotten as high as 40mpgs on the highway when I set the cruse control to 70mph. The only downside to this car is that when I drive it I do feel like I'm in a Ford. It does drive much better than any Japanese cars I have had and even better than a VW, but not as well as the BMWs and Mercedes' that I have owned. Overall the best car for the money I have ever owned."

Drives great and pretty reliable

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "drives like a caddy"

Cons: "heater core"

"The car has been great; my mom's owned it for 7-8 years. The only problems we've really had are (1) the heat going out (Tauruses are notorious for this), and (2) a slight coolant leak. Other than that, we've had NO problems with it. My mom will more than likely run this car until the wheels fall off."

best car worst time

By on Monday, December 28, 2009

"I bought this car new at the beginning of the 2003 model year. within three months the price at local dealerships dropped,along with my value by about 9000 dollars. So I started out in the hole. The car has major issues with the wear of tires I always line and balance when replacing them and keep them rotated and checked, but the tires tend to only make about half of their life expectancy no matter which brand I use. The air conditioning system and parts on the front end have had to be replaced more than once. the leather trim on the door panels just peeled loose and had to be replaced, the leather seats however look as good as they did the day I bought this car. The car has no retail value but the purr of the engine has helped me to over look the other defects. Possibly the best engine ever at 160,000 it shows no signs of slowing."

My second Ford Taurus

By on Sunday, February 01, 2009

"I have 2004 Taurus which I bought used at the end of 2005. It currently has 102200 miles and still runs well. It has held up well with two drivers, one with a tendency toward a lead foot. Very reliable with great highway mileage, even with a full load. So far, it has only needed routine maintenance, tires and rotors. Note: Does require driving with more caution on wet roads. Two full sized adults can comfortably ride in the back seat. Great trunk space."

good value

By on Sunday, September 28, 2008

"Bought used 25,000 miles a year ago. Good car for under 10K! Nice style from most angles. Decent Vulcan V6 power and smoothness. Tranny not as smooth as engine, but okay. Extra low 1st gear aids quick takeoffs but would be smoother without. Cheap plasticinterior but solid enough. except for passenger door trim in the middle which I had to super-glue on. Had drivers door not want to latch closed when very cold out, but extra grease helped. Throttle cable needs periodic lube or feels "sticky" on pedal. Too new to have these things. Radio/cd player has good design, and works well, but speaker sound is mediocre for an '05. Handling is pleasant and accurate but not sporty. Springs are a little soft and "bouncy" over hard bumps. Interior is quiet and engine noise is quiet at all speeds. Actually makes a better sound when using E85, though maybe because it is using more fuel, or it likes the octane. Makes the old 4-barrel carb. sound on the E85 at full throttle. Anyone else noticed this? (I actually like it.) Gets 22 mpg with gas and 18 on E85, even when driving smooth and 60 mph. Dash computer is handy. Does not like to start 1st try when cold out on E85. Takes 2 0r 3 times to stay running when cold out. Even a little bit of gasoline added to the mix in the tank eliminates this, though I don't know why. My Chrysler van doesn't do that. I like the look of the car-looks more stylish than the price would suggest. Stock Continental tires are bland, and I think the handling would be helped by better tires. But a good value of the money."

Great car for the Price

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I bought my Melot- Metallic 2006 ford Taurus over a year ago by accident. I was out and saw a ford suv from the road as I was passing by a car dealer ship in my town. A car salesmen was putting a sticker on this shiny new taurus that said 11,995 , I asked for a test drive and the rest is history. My car was part of a rental fleet and only had 600 miles on it. Loaded with cd player, premium wheels, Etc. I put a Lebra on the front and tinted the windows and when clean looks as sharp as any car on the road. Only one minor problem in over a year, driver side window came off track. In my opinion the car drives well , handles well and has a decent get up and go, when I step on the gas with these size 15's. I'm a big man at 6 feet 5 inches over 300 lbs and the Taurus is comfortable for me."

Perfect for Salesman

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"I am on the road a lot. This car is comfortable, dependable, quick, with great mileage. What more can you ask for?"

Best car I've ever had. I am 64y.o.

By on Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, easy and fun to drive. made well."

Cons: "After age10 repairs start."

"Drives very well even now, at age 15. Still very comfortable and made well. Powerful car. We always felt very safe inside it."

I love this car! Very easy to maintain.

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable, easy to maintain, comfortable seats"

Cons: "No CD player, hideaway console"

"I have owned this car for almost 13 years and have had to repair it only 3 times. Routine maintenance has kept this car running smoothly for years. The air conditioner was replaced after 11 years and approximately 157,000 miles. I'm very pleased with the overall performance of the car. This car is still being driven every day to work and I have no plans to trade it in or sell it. I'm a very happy and satisfied Ford customer!!"

The best vehicle I've ever owned..

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "Never a problem"

Cons: "Gas consupmtion a little excessive"

"Out of dozens of vehicles I have owned, of all makes, this Taurus is superior to them all...Simply put.!!"

Reliable, Practical, Good handling and great value

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Good MPG for an older V6, Reliability"

Cons: "Suspension a little weak"

Trusty Rusty

"I have had two Taurus's. Neither have ever given me a single issue. I have 175,000 miles of trouble free driving on my 02 SE. People complain about the transmission but they don't change the fluid and filter like you're supposed to. I have done that every 30k miles and haven't had an issue on either. My last one died at 180k miles when it was totaled. It is missed every day. This car always starts even well below 0 degrees (F) nothing rattles, interior build has held up since new. Only down side I can think of is these cars have weak struts. Other than that, if you change the transmission fluid like you should, you'll have one of the most reliable cars built."

Trusty Rusty

The best work vehicle I've ever owned hands down!

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive, economical as a work vehicle."

Cons: "Seats could be a bit more comfortable."

"Bought this for a work vehicle. Previous car totalled by deer collision, so didn't have a lot of time to shop. Got this gem from a local dealer for 5K. The more I drive it, the better I like it. Reasonably comfortable and roomy. Quite dependable and gets about 26-27 mpg. Recently put a set of Michelins on this baby and it handles like a champ. I can see why Ford sold millions of these during their production years. I will really miss this car whenever I have to part with it... hopefully several years from now."