2004 Ford Taurus

7.8

Based on 1325 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

Excellent Car Super Reliable!!

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"I got this car two years ago with 177,000 miles, i was a litter scare because of the high miles, but my brother who owns a small time business of used cars, told me to go for it, that they are very good cars. He was right in more than two years this car have never felt me, never stop taking me to work ( i drive it 60 miles daily some miles around home). Excellent family and transportation car, i love it and will buy another for sure!"

Gets me where i need to go!!!

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

"I bought this car 3 years ago, at about 55,000 miles. it was a previous used car. the only down side of mine is that it seems that the fuel gage doesn't work properly. it only fills 3/4 full. mechanic said my fuel pump is fine..still trying to figure out why it does that. but overall the car is great. i feel it has a lot of room compared to alero or g6. I feel that it drives very smooth and has great mileage!!!"

Strong Car

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "Low maint. Decent MPG. Comfortable. Reliable,fast"

Cons: "side airbag leather covers want to peel away"

"Bought a 2000 Taurus sel w/ 170000 miles in 2010. Still running strong with over 273000 on it. Great in snow handles well and the 3.0 liter dohc has plenty of power. Only did brakes rotors muffler shocks coil packs, air filter and oil changes since owning. Wouldnt shift out of park one day,thought tranny was dead. It was only a teflon bushing connecting the shifter to the tranny. Found a video on Youtube on how to fix and got one from junkyard for $4.00. Easy fix under the hood. Very reliable and strong car."

Extremely reliable

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Great value over the long haul"

Cons: "Interior leather door panels peel in 3 years"

"This has been the best car I have very owned. It currently has 293,000 miles and in the last month I replaced the fuel pump. That is the ONLY repair to this vehicle besides normal maintainence."

Best Car for its Value

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "great price, roomy, extremely reliable"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"I was car shopping for three months until I found my 2002 Taurus and literally it was the best car I even touched. Hardly any dings, flawless interior, and to top it all off - it sounded smooth. No clicks, no chimes. The transmission is a little clunky when you go from park to reverse and such, but it was perfect. I take turns pretty fast for the size of this vehicle and I still haven't had any issues, so I can't relate to the other responses. After a replaced water pump, broke A/C unit (shorter belts are miracles), and an replaced engine sensor, it's still not a bad vehicle and cheap to repair. It's hard to steal (starter is located underneath) and no one really has any motivation to - thus better insurance rates. I just had my car broken into three days ago and he stole everything but was unable to steal my car. It's extremely comfortable and runs amazing for a 10 year old vehicle and I only paid 3,500 (at the dealer!). It's the perfect car for a beginning driver who needs a reliable vehicle. The transmission and engines in this model (if taken care of properly) can outshine a few others regardless on how well you treat those. My engine still sounds like the first day I turned my Taurus on and same with my transmission. I've driven it for about a year now and I believe I can still get about three more years out of it. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if I got even five more years out of it. Even though its a big of a gas hog, it's well worth the pros and I believe it is the best American made sedan. (Though avoid the 2000, 2001 models... found them to be not as satisfactory)."

solid car

By on Friday, December 04, 2009

"i have currently 177,000 on my 02 taurus SEL. all i can say is perfect...great mpg's...in the upper 20's.. havent had a thing go wrong with it.. change oil every 3000-4000. i use motorcraft oil and filters alll around..wwill be driving it from upstate ny to south florida in january, i anticipate no problems and awesome mpg's.. i commute about 160 miles a day to work thru upstate ny weather flewlessly..i have a friend that just turned 300k..rusting but running..great , safe , reliable and great value..would buy another in a heartbeat."

Wish they still made it - solid, comfort.

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Predictable handling, performance, Comfort."

Cons: "No MPG improvement in 20 years of production."

"Very solid feel, predictable handling and performance. 29 - 30 MPG highway, 21 - 22 city. Had 1987 model. 2004 improved steering and handling, otherwise no improvements in 17 years. Ford could have done wonders with this car with a few tweaks to the engine electronics to improve MPG. Minor $$'s on this one could have made the Fusion unnecessary. Still, it's a much better car than the Fusion (own a 2010 model). Better in many ways than the new Taurus /500. Much more comfortable than the Fusion, more usable power, more room. Why did they stop making it?"

best vehicle ever

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "space, great gas milleage, seats 8 legally"

Cons: "tight leg room for rear seats, knobs seem to break"

"I have had this car for over 11 years and its been amazing. I do a lot of highway driving and live in MI in the summers and SC in the winters. I've always kept up on the genernal maintence. It doesn't have super pick-up and I don't haul things, but its never broken down on me either. Around 110k miles the gas gauge went out and now I keep track of my gas based on miles. I'm not sure if its the way I drive or just this perticular car, but I get roughly 30miles to the gallon on the highways and 24 in the cities. Around 170K miles, the AC compresser went down, though I still think it had to do with dealership adding liquid to the high pressure side (a mechanic friend not with a dealership drained it and found liquid in the gas side after I had it at the dealership cause I believe I was low on freon. Thats a whole nother story) Around 200k I had to have gaskets replaced just because they were getting old, and the mechanic told me the car looks great underneath and that its a good engine and should make 300k. Thats my hope. I also love that the rear seats fold down flat because there is enough space then to put a full size blow-up mattress (car camping). I have been searching for new cars, and I just can't find anything that I love as much as this one."

Yes, 430,000 miles on same engine & transmission

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Great car for what I used it for."

Cons: "Only seats 5. Sometimes that's a good thing."

"I bought a 2000 Ford Taurus SES when it was a year old with 18,000 miles on it. I put more that 412,000 miles on it myself. Long commutes in snow, ice, rain, heat. Dropped the back seat and hauled my skis and snowboard in it. Only regular maintenance and occasionally replacing the items normally expected to wear out - tires, battery, alternator, starter, water pump, O2 sensors, etc., except it had a front spring break at about 300,000 miles that ruined a tire and had to replace a rear axle bearing before that. Neither one a big deal. Bigger deals were parking lot fender benders, vandalism and hitting a deer. Never any major issues with the engine or the transmission, and never left me stranded, until I pushed my luck on a battered radiator - 430,000 miles of bug hits flattens radiator fins pretty well. The engine overheated this week and it needs to be replaced. Just barely replaced the muffler for the first time! Even with 430,000 miles on the car, I'm considering dropping $3k to have a used engine put in and see how much further it will go."

Comfortable, good gas mileage 24-27+;

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage; Dependable; reasonable up-keep;"

Cons: "Had some repairs at this mileage."

"Bought used, Dec. 2011; 74000 miles. I drive 500-600 miles a week. 24V 6 cyl. gets good mileage-24-27+ if you drive fairly conservative, use cruise. At that mileage, I did have some repairs come up. Kept oil changed. Overall, good, dependable car. Good size, comfortable car that gets good gas mileage for its size."