2003 Ford Taurus

7.8

Based on 1325 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

solid car

By on Friday, December 04, 2009

"i have currently 177,000 on my 02 taurus SEL. all i can say is perfect...great mpg's...in the upper 20's.. havent had a thing go wrong with it.. change oil every 3000-4000. i use motorcraft oil and filters alll around..wwill be driving it from upstate ny to south florida in january, i anticipate no problems and awesome mpg's.. i commute about 160 miles a day to work thru upstate ny weather flewlessly..i have a friend that just turned 300k..rusting but running..great , safe , reliable and great value..would buy another in a heartbeat."

Wish they still made it - solid, comfort.

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Predictable handling, performance, Comfort."

Cons: "No MPG improvement in 20 years of production."

"Very solid feel, predictable handling and performance. 29 - 30 MPG highway, 21 - 22 city. Had 1987 model. 2004 improved steering and handling, otherwise no improvements in 17 years. Ford could have done wonders with this car with a few tweaks to the engine electronics to improve MPG. Minor $$'s on this one could have made the Fusion unnecessary. Still, it's a much better car than the Fusion (own a 2010 model). Better in many ways than the new Taurus /500. Much more comfortable than the Fusion, more usable power, more room. Why did they stop making it?"

best vehicle ever

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "space, great gas milleage, seats 8 legally"

Cons: "tight leg room for rear seats, knobs seem to break"

"I have had this car for over 11 years and its been amazing. I do a lot of highway driving and live in MI in the summers and SC in the winters. I've always kept up on the genernal maintence. It doesn't have super pick-up and I don't haul things, but its never broken down on me either. Around 110k miles the gas gauge went out and now I keep track of my gas based on miles. I'm not sure if its the way I drive or just this perticular car, but I get roughly 30miles to the gallon on the highways and 24 in the cities. Around 170K miles, the AC compresser went down, though I still think it had to do with dealership adding liquid to the high pressure side (a mechanic friend not with a dealership drained it and found liquid in the gas side after I had it at the dealership cause I believe I was low on freon. Thats a whole nother story) Around 200k I had to have gaskets replaced just because they were getting old, and the mechanic told me the car looks great underneath and that its a good engine and should make 300k. Thats my hope. I also love that the rear seats fold down flat because there is enough space then to put a full size blow-up mattress (car camping). I have been searching for new cars, and I just can't find anything that I love as much as this one."

Yes, 430,000 miles on same engine & transmission

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Great car for what I used it for."

Cons: "Only seats 5. Sometimes that's a good thing."

"I bought a 2000 Ford Taurus SES when it was a year old with 18,000 miles on it. I put more that 412,000 miles on it myself. Long commutes in snow, ice, rain, heat. Dropped the back seat and hauled my skis and snowboard in it. Only regular maintenance and occasionally replacing the items normally expected to wear out - tires, battery, alternator, starter, water pump, O2 sensors, etc., except it had a front spring break at about 300,000 miles that ruined a tire and had to replace a rear axle bearing before that. Neither one a big deal. Bigger deals were parking lot fender benders, vandalism and hitting a deer. Never any major issues with the engine or the transmission, and never left me stranded, until I pushed my luck on a battered radiator - 430,000 miles of bug hits flattens radiator fins pretty well. The engine overheated this week and it needs to be replaced. Just barely replaced the muffler for the first time! Even with 430,000 miles on the car, I'm considering dropping $3k to have a used engine put in and see how much further it will go."

Comfortable, good gas mileage 24-27+;

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage; Dependable; reasonable up-keep;"

Cons: "Had some repairs at this mileage."

"Bought used, Dec. 2011; 74000 miles. I drive 500-600 miles a week. 24V 6 cyl. gets good mileage-24-27+ if you drive fairly conservative, use cruise. At that mileage, I did have some repairs come up. Kept oil changed. Overall, good, dependable car. Good size, comfortable car that gets good gas mileage for its size."