2002 Ford Taurus

7.8

Based on 1349 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

Best Car for its Value

By on Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pros: "great price, roomy, extremely reliable"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"I was car shopping for three months until I found my 2002 Taurus and literally it was the best car I even touched. Hardly any dings, flawless interior, and to top it all off - it sounded smooth. No clicks, no chimes. The transmission is a little clunky when you go from park to reverse and such, but it was perfect. I take turns pretty fast for the size of this vehicle and I still haven't had any issues, so I can't relate to the other responses. After a replaced water pump, broke A/C unit (shorter belts are miracles), and an replaced engine sensor, it's still not a bad vehicle and cheap to repair. It's hard to steal (starter is located underneath) and no one really has any motivation to - thus better insurance rates. I just had my car broken into three days ago and he stole everything but was unable to steal my car. It's extremely comfortable and runs amazing for a 10 year old vehicle and I only paid 3,500 (at the dealer!). It's the perfect car for a beginning driver who needs a reliable vehicle. The transmission and engines in this model (if taken care of properly) can outshine a few others regardless on how well you treat those. My engine still sounds like the first day I turned my Taurus on and same with my transmission. I've driven it for about a year now and I believe I can still get about three more years out of it. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if I got even five more years out of it. Even though its a big of a gas hog, it's well worth the pros and I believe it is the best American made sedan. (Though avoid the 2000, 2001 models... found them to be not as satisfactory)."

Comfortable, good gas mileage 24-27+;

By on Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage; Dependable; reasonable up-keep;"

Cons: "Had some repairs at this mileage."

"Bought used, Dec. 2011; 74000 miles. I drive 500-600 miles a week. 24V 6 cyl. gets good mileage-24-27+ if you drive fairly conservative, use cruise. At that mileage, I did have some repairs come up. Kept oil changed. Overall, good, dependable car. Good size, comfortable car that gets good gas mileage for its size."

Excellent handling, rides smooth, Great car!

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "Cute, Reliable, Comfortable, and fun!"

Cons: "None."

"I bought this car and didn't have high expectations. It exceeded them by 100%! The interior is very room, and fov is amazing! It's extremely reliable, rides smooth, great handling. Have not had any problems with it!"

best car worst time

By on Monday, December 28, 2009

"I bought this car new at the beginning of the 2003 model year. within three months the price at local dealerships dropped,along with my value by about 9000 dollars. So I started out in the hole. The car has major issues with the wear of tires I always line and balance when replacing them and keep them rotated and checked, but the tires tend to only make about half of their life expectancy no matter which brand I use. The air conditioning system and parts on the front end have had to be replaced more than once. the leather trim on the door panels just peeled loose and had to be replaced, the leather seats however look as good as they did the day I bought this car. The car has no retail value but the purr of the engine has helped me to over look the other defects. Possibly the best engine ever at 160,000 it shows no signs of slowing."

Great, Safe car to Own!!!

By on Friday, December 2, 2011

Pros: "Reliable and will get a person through anything."

"I have owned my Taurus since I was 16 and have never looked back since. It has taken me all over the world and only once has broken down on me. I needed to replace the catalytic converters on it, one day it had no power on the highway but luckily I was able to limp it home and from there replace both of them. Other than that just normal maintenance, stuff you would have with any car, brakes, oil, etc."

FORD GIRL!!--Best car I ever owned!

By on Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pros: "price was right/love the V6"

Cons: "rear windows don't go all the way down"

"I purchased this car with 6000 miles on it. It was shipped from CA to OH. I got a steal of a deal with this car. In 9 years I have only had to replace one gasket seal and the total cost was $750. I have no rust and only a few very small chips from a rock. The paint still shines like the day I bought it and it has only been in a garage in the winter during the past 4 years. I have 111,900 miles on it and I hope to put another 100,000 on it. I get 400/mi to the 15 gallon tank on road trips. My city mileage is about 325/mi to the tank. My next car will be the Fusion!! I love the Ford product. F-O-R-D free of roadside disasters!!!"

My second Ford Taurus

By on Sunday, February 1, 2009

"I have 2004 Taurus which I bought used at the end of 2005. It currently has 102200 miles and still runs well. It has held up well with two drivers, one with a tendency toward a lead foot. Very reliable with great highway mileage, even with a full load. So far, it has only needed routine maintenance, tires and rotors. Note: Does require driving with more caution on wet roads. Two full sized adults can comfortably ride in the back seat. Great trunk space."

Perfect for Salesman

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"I am on the road a lot. This car is comfortable, dependable, quick, with great mileage. What more can you ask for?"

Best car I've ever had. I am 64y.o.

By on Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, easy and fun to drive. made well."

Cons: "After age10 repairs start."

"Drives very well even now, at age 15. Still very comfortable and made well. Powerful car. We always felt very safe inside it."

I love this car! Very easy to maintain.

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable, easy to maintain, comfortable seats"

Cons: "No CD player, hideaway console"

"I have owned this car for almost 13 years and have had to repair it only 3 times. Routine maintenance has kept this car running smoothly for years. The air conditioner was replaced after 11 years and approximately 157,000 miles. I'm very pleased with the overall performance of the car. This car is still being driven every day to work and I have no plans to trade it in or sell it. I'm a very happy and satisfied Ford customer!!"

The best vehicle I've ever owned..

By on Thursday, February 6, 2014

Pros: "Never a problem"

Cons: "Gas consupmtion a little excessive"

"Out of dozens of vehicles I have owned, of all makes, this Taurus is superior to them all...Simply put.!!"

Reliable, Practical, Good handling and great value

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Good MPG for an older V6, Reliability"

Cons: "Suspension a little weak"

Trusty Rusty

"I have had two Taurus's. Neither have ever given me a single issue. I have 175,000 miles of trouble free driving on my 02 SE. People complain about the transmission but they don't change the fluid and filter like you're supposed to. I have done that every 30k miles and haven't had an issue on either. My last one died at 180k miles when it was totaled. It is missed every day. This car always starts even well below 0 degrees (F) nothing rattles, interior build has held up since new. Only down side I can think of is these cars have weak struts. Other than that, if you change the transmission fluid like you should, you'll have one of the most reliable cars built."

Trusty Rusty

Good vehicle for daily driver.

By on Monday, November 5, 2012

Pros: "Good value. good reliablity"

Cons: "Gas milage could be better"

"Good power with the V6. Ride comfort is good. Fits 5 people comfortably. Great in winter driving. Gas milage not great. usually get 19 to 23mpg."

Drives great and pretty reliable

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "drives like a caddy"

Cons: "heater core"

"The car has been great; my mom's owned it for 7-8 years. The only problems we've really had are (1) the heat going out (Tauruses are notorious for this), and (2) a slight coolant leak. Other than that, we've had NO problems with it. My mom will more than likely run this car until the wheels fall off."

Best overall vehicles

By on Sunday, February 20, 2011

"I'm now driving my 2007 for more than 3 years. I've had 4 taurus's, 2 at once , mine and wife, great cars. Had 00,05,06, and now my 07, No major problems. Wouldn't even consider another vehicle."

By on Friday, January 15, 2010

"I bought my 2001 taurus new and drive my cars forever. This car has been pretty good. The brakes have never been a good design on this car and wear fast with poor rotors. I now have 200000 miles on it and had to replace the transmission. Luckily i found a good used one for only 500.00 and then paid 500.00 to install. Overall good cheap transportation. Weak spots on the car are brakes and struts. Some have had bad luck with transmission but I'll take the 200,000, thankyou very much. Nice job Ford and good for you."

good value

By on Sunday, September 28, 2008

"Bought used 25,000 miles a year ago. Good car for under 10K! Nice style from most angles. Decent Vulcan V6 power and smoothness. Tranny not as smooth as engine, but okay. Extra low 1st gear aids quick takeoffs but would be smoother without. Cheap plasticinterior but solid enough. except for passenger door trim in the middle which I had to super-glue on. Had drivers door not want to latch closed when very cold out, but extra grease helped. Throttle cable needs periodic lube or feels "sticky" on pedal. Too new to have these things. Radio/cd player has good design, and works well, but speaker sound is mediocre for an '05. Handling is pleasant and accurate but not sporty. Springs are a little soft and "bouncy" over hard bumps. Interior is quiet and engine noise is quiet at all speeds. Actually makes a better sound when using E85, though maybe because it is using more fuel, or it likes the octane. Makes the old 4-barrel carb. sound on the E85 at full throttle. Anyone else noticed this? (I actually like it.) Gets 22 mpg with gas and 18 on E85, even when driving smooth and 60 mph. Dash computer is handy. Does not like to start 1st try when cold out on E85. Takes 2 0r 3 times to stay running when cold out. Even a little bit of gasoline added to the mix in the tank eliminates this, though I don't know why. My Chrysler van doesn't do that. I like the look of the car-looks more stylish than the price would suggest. Stock Continental tires are bland, and I think the handling would be helped by better tires. But a good value of the money."

Great car for the Price

By on Friday, August 3, 2007

"I bought my Melot- Metallic 2006 ford Taurus over a year ago by accident. I was out and saw a ford suv from the road as I was passing by a car dealer ship in my town. A car salesmen was putting a sticker on this shiny new taurus that said 11,995 , I asked for a test drive and the rest is history. My car was part of a rental fleet and only had 600 miles on it. Loaded with cd player, premium wheels, Etc. I put a Lebra on the front and tinted the windows and when clean looks as sharp as any car on the road. Only one minor problem in over a year, driver side window came off track. In my opinion the car drives well , handles well and has a decent get up and go, when I step on the gas with these size 15's. I'm a big man at 6 feet 5 inches over 300 lbs and the Taurus is comfortable for me."

The best work vehicle I've ever owned hands down!

By on Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive, economical as a work vehicle."

Cons: "Seats could be a bit more comfortable."

"Bought this for a work vehicle. Previous car totalled by deer collision, so didn't have a lot of time to shop. Got this gem from a local dealer for 5K. The more I drive it, the better I like it. Reasonably comfortable and roomy. Quite dependable and gets about 26-27 mpg. Recently put a set of Michelins on this baby and it handles like a champ. I can see why Ford sold millions of these during their production years. I will really miss this car whenever I have to part with it... hopefully several years from now."

Pretty average but reliable.

By on Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, ride."

Cons: "Bland, mpg at times."

"Originally bought my SL model Taurus around 95,000 miles and have already put about 60,000 miles on it. Mpg is decent on the highway or freeway coming in around 26 for me, but it really suffers in a rural area at low speeds or lots of starts and stops; typically 18-22 depending on the area. The V6 provides a good amount of power. Regular maintenance and repairs are average in terms of cost. The only repair outside of regular maintenance on my vehicle was my exhaust gasket popped off by the manifold... Nothing major, but potentially catastrophic if moving. No rust in sight, but still a bit of a strange thing to happen. The brake fluid warning light comes on frequently for what appears to be no reason at all. Otherwise, a great daily driver for around town or for long trips."

all around fair vehicle

By on Monday, February 21, 2011

"OK, I feel most qualified to rate this vehicle. The reviews are mixed but I have owned my vehicle since new in 2001 and have driven it for 210000 miles. I have the 24 valve multi-valve motor so I will only speak for it. It is a outstanding motor. I've changed the oil appprox. 4,000 and it still runs like brand new. It uses a little more oil than new but runs great! The transmisssion lasted until 198,00 miles which is fair to me. Very dependible vehicle. Left me stranded once in 10 years. Weak spots are front breaks and sway bar links in front which i"ve had to replace about every 50,000 at about 200 bucks a crack. This car is probably not as good as a 2001 camry but I paid about 3,500 less and it is american. Overall, I can't complain and it actually is kind a fun to see how long she will last."

LOVE THIS CAR !

By on Friday, October 2, 2009

"Purchased 2000 model in 2001 as used fleet car. Excellent value, handles great, good mileage. Lots of highway miles. Same size as my former Cad Sedan de Ville but obviously not quite as comfortable. Fli-down seat provides more storage than most SUVs. Has a cool flip-up 3rd seat. Only negative: air noise on highway. One of most inexpensive cars to insure...more savings! Thinking of getting a Taurus sedan but will definitely keep this car until the wheels fall off! LOVE THIS CAR! And Ford didn't ask for a bailout and is still standing!"

good reliable transportation

By on Saturday, August 1, 2009

"I have had my 2001 taurus since new. The vehicle has 24 valve motor and it runs perfect. The car now has 196,000 miles on and has been well maintained which may be why it is so reliable. It has never failed me. Couple things to note though: The bottom of the doors rust and so do the quarter panels so keep these areas clean, the design of the doors collects large door dings so be careful where you park, the brake rotors are cheap so don't replace with Ford stock. The only annoying trait of this vehicle is that when you give it the gas, it hesitates briefly and under power it tugs to the right. Most front wheels drive vehicles have overcome this problem. I believe Ford eliminated these problems with the Fusion. Over all, good reliable and fairly inexpensive."

Best Car I ever owned

By on Thursday, May 14, 2009

"I have had my car four years, loved it. I was in an accident, rolled my car three times. My daughters and I walked away with scratches. This car ended up up-side down. The top held up and didn't smash like a pancake. It was build well! I am waiting for my insurance money, going to purchance another Ford Taurus. I have had it for more than four years, never had to put any money into it, ran like a dream. I changed my oil every three months, that has been it! I love my Ford Taurus."

Reliable

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"The car was bought with 70,000 miles on it a year ago, I've put over 30,000 miles on it already. Besides hitting a 40 pound raccoon doing 75 miles an hour and costing $1,200 worth the damage the car is and has been in excellent operating condition. Shifts smoothly and runs alot better then my 95' Taurus. The car has plenty of room, i am 6'4" and don't have a problem with it. The gas mileage is excellent with the 3.0 liter getting 28-30 mpg average on the highway and about 22 in the city, However you'll get less with Ethanol, but the car gets a little more pep out of it. Overall it's a good car, I'm looking to get a K&N for it maybe to give it some more breathing room."