2000 Ford Taurus

7.8

Based on 1321 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

Ford got it right with the Taurus

By on Monday, March 15, 2010

"Have 2000 Taurus sedan SE with 24V DOHC, mach sound system & digital climate control. I have the captains bench seat in the front, which is nice for the extra storage space or (if you're a bit nostalgic) having the girlfriend slide over at the drive in. Purchased it in 2005 with 85,000 miles on it for $5000, car now has 177k miles and I'm looking for another one. I have spent hours and hours test driving cars and researching cars and honestly the Taurus fills a lot of niches for people who drive a lot and drive hard. Car is comfortable, performs well with 24V engine and handles great in the city or Hwy. I get 23-26 mpg mixed, as high as 30 mpg on the hwy alone tracked EVERY tank. All this with regular. I drive at least 20k miles a year and I drive it hard. Car will hold its own well against any other car in its class in acceleration, handling and economy. Overall I can't say that I've had too many problems with the car though I have had to start replacing things as they wear out. I do a lot of work myself and and I'm also a mechanical engineer. I've done brakes twice (90k, 160k), tires, rear struts (100k), spark plugs and 1 coil (140k), an alternator (155k), radiator hoses (160k), and recently ball joints and stabilizer arms at 170k miles. Sounds like a lot but I drive the Boston/New England roads all the time (cobble stones, pot holes, gravel, etc), this is just what happens to a car that's been punished during a long service life. There are times I spend more hours in the car than I do sleeping and I've loved every minute of it. Parts are reasonably inexpensive (and available) and the car is easy to work on. Oil is usually still clean after 5k of hard driving and I've pushed it to 10 or 12k miles before changing. Average maintenance cost has been about $850/yr since the car has broken 110k miles, but at 160k that has gone up considerably given the suspension has taken a beating lately. While the interior of the car has a lot of plastic in it, it holds up well and it feels solid. Plenty of room in the back seat (sedan) and the front is roomy also. Road noise could be better. Mach sound system with CD changer is deep and crisp, rivals the Bose system in my mother's Aurora. Steering gives confidence in any weather including snow. 8" of snow on unplowed roads, no problem. Car is a tank. Styling is dated a bit now in 2010, but its clean and respectable. Things to watch out for: Rear fender wells rust easily once the paint is scratched, you can see this on older ones driving around too. The frame on the 2000 models is somewhat flexible in twist, can't open the doors while one wheel is raised to change a tire. I recommend spending the extra money to re-balance the tires every so often if you develop wear problems or have suspension work done. If you're driving as much as I am it'll cost you more in the long run to not do that. I just got a new job and will be doing 120 miles a day round trip and I'm seriously looking for another Taurus. For the price, the car balances quality, comfort and performance better than any other vehicle I've driven in the last 12 months (new or used)."

Excellent Car Super Reliable!!

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"I got this car two years ago with 177,000 miles, i was a litter scare because of the high miles, but my brother who owns a small time business of used cars, told me to go for it, that they are very good cars. He was right in more than two years this car have never felt me, never stop taking me to work ( i drive it 60 miles daily some miles around home). Excellent family and transportation car, i love it and will buy another for sure!"

Gets me where i need to go!!!

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

"I bought this car 3 years ago, at about 55,000 miles. it was a previous used car. the only down side of mine is that it seems that the fuel gage doesn't work properly. it only fills 3/4 full. mechanic said my fuel pump is fine..still trying to figure out why it does that. but overall the car is great. i feel it has a lot of room compared to alero or g6. I feel that it drives very smooth and has great mileage!!!"

Extremely reliable

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Great value over the long haul"

Cons: "Interior leather door panels peel in 3 years"

"This has been the best car I have very owned. It currently has 293,000 miles and in the last month I replaced the fuel pump. That is the ONLY repair to this vehicle besides normal maintainence."

Strong Car

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "Low maint. Decent MPG. Comfortable. Reliable,fast"

Cons: "side airbag leather covers want to peel away"

"Bought a 2000 Taurus sel w/ 170000 miles in 2010. Still running strong with over 273000 on it. Great in snow handles well and the 3.0 liter dohc has plenty of power. Only did brakes rotors muffler shocks coil packs, air filter and oil changes since owning. Wouldnt shift out of park one day,thought tranny was dead. It was only a teflon bushing connecting the shifter to the tranny. Found a video on Youtube on how to fix and got one from junkyard for $4.00. Easy fix under the hood. Very reliable and strong car."