1998 Ford Taurus

7.6

Based on 545 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

one of my top vehicles ever owned

By on Saturday, June 26, 2010

"this car is cute and dependable with plenty of get up and go. .Its big enough to withstand an accident but not so big that it reminds you of grandmas car or the neighbors boat. it has plenty of power but with the 3.0 litre V-6 its economical enough. the only thing id realy complain about is the lack of room overall. the front has too much dash, and the seats are uncomfortable. Other than that and the oval back window I LOVE IT111"

Very Dependable

By on Saturday, November 22, 2008

"I bought this car new as a company car for my job. I am the only owner and bought it when my company downsized and got rid of it. Great bargin, couldn't resist. I have 129,00 miles on it and really no problems other than general maint. It drives great, has the best heat and air and radio. It has better air than my son's and he has a 2006 Toyota. Anyone that buys a Taurus is getting a good car. The only thing I had to get used to is the front door opening, It was shaped oval and not the easiest to get into and out. I used to have a 1995 and the front door opening was larger."

Would not buy another

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

"Bought this car from a retired guy. It had 40,000 dealer serviced miles. I saw he had replaced the struts twice, the rotors three times and three sets of brake shoes. At 46,00 miles the transmission began "neutraling" jumping into neutral. I took it to the shop and they had to do a compete rebuild ($2,200). But the 6 cylinder Vulcan engine is great, strong and provides great acceleration. But the turn signal stalk mounted wiper control fails often. At 60,000 miles the ABS light came on and no service tech can find out why. At 62,000 the power locks stopped working along with the power windows (great air conditioning though). Checked all relays and fuses and am down to looking for a ground fault now. My wife wants to paint whiskers on it because it looks like a giant catfish. I have owned four fords in my life and two suffer from transmission issues. Service techs say had a bad reputation and that killed the lead Taurus had in the market."

Good Old Family Car

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage, reliable, comfortable"

"I paid $400 for my Ford Taurus and it was my first car. I am getting ready to trade it in, after 6 years. It has been really good to me, and I have never had to have any major repairs done."

Not bad

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

"For the most part I have really loved my car. Recently I just really wanted an electric and sometimes it seems there are ghosts in the electrical system. Things bing for no reason, the door light is on all the time. Little things like that distract from an otherwise great used car."