1998 Ford Taurus

7.6

Based on 540 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

Great Reliable car!

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I bought this car new 10 years ago and now have 182,000 miles on it. It has the 24V V6 engine and has been virtually problem-free. I spent about $120 to replace a pump perhaps 5 years ago, and now just replaced the O2 sensor; replaced a turn signal lamp last year; also have an issue with interior lights not recognizing when doors are shut- so I had to take out the overhead lamps- aside from those items- regular maintenance- and this car has been excellent. I have been very pleased and certainly got my $$ out of it...now on 4th set of tires!"

Great Automobile

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"This is my second Taurus wagon. My 1997 was in a terrible car accident and the police could not believe how well it held up. Was hit head on and was as solid as a rock. Immediately called the Ford dealership and had a new 1999 Taurus 24v wagon delivered to my office. Not one problem until last week and it cost less than $100 to fix and it was caused by some bad gasoline. Just routine oil changes and new tires and it just turned 80,000 miles today. Friends of mine that own Porsche's can not believe how fast it is. I normally would have traded years ago but love it too much. Getting ready to buy a convertible, but gonna keep this great car!"

Excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, October 04, 2007

"This vehicle has traveled to every corner of the United States and back many times over the 9 years we've owned it. It is one of the most comfortable vehicles we've owned for traveling long distances; economically sound; reliable mechanically. We always give it the 3000 mile oil changes and regular tune-ups when needed. With the exception of replacing tires, a light bulb or two, and minor repairs here and there this car has been extremely reliable in every way."

I LOVE this car

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"I bought this car used with high mileage in 2004, it's 2012 and it's still running strong with mostly original parts. The only parts I have replaced are the rear struts. and tires of course. I take it on long road trips (7-8 hours) several times a year and have never had a breakdown."

Never let me down, rare repairs usually cheap

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Reason: Frame rust

Pros: "24V DOHC engine powerful and trouble-free"

Cons: "Rear struts wear out, frame subject to rust"

"Purchased new, drove it for 205,000 miles for 13-1/2 years. Loved the car, never broke down on me. Only required one major repair: the air conditioning system required replacement after about 9 years. 24V DOHC Duratec engine lived up to its name - the best running, lowest maintenance engine I have ever owned. Never burned oil, but at the very end a gasket needed replacement (slow oil leak), but it cost too much labor to replace (required removal of other components). Had to replace the turn signal stalk, dome light started staying on at times (couldn't figure out where the problem was). Replaced both rear sway bar links, struts needed replacement. That's about it - incredibly few issues for so many years and miles. Never a transmission problem. Got rid of it because of underbody rust - northern Illinois uses a tremendous amount of road salt that causes significant corrosion. Every vehicle I have owned (Ford, Mercury, Toyota, Oldsmobile) have succumbed to rust (except for my one and only Chrysler product - the engine and transmission beat the rust). No visible body rust, just underside."