1998 Ford Taurus

7.6

Based on 545 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

275,000 and doing fine

By on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

"I bought my Taurus used with 70K miles on it from my younger brother at a local ford dealership. I had instructed him that I wanted a one owner, woman owned American made car, with carfax, and all maintenance records. It took him 2 months but was worth the wait. My Taurus has been a great car and today I'm giving it to one of my employees for his wife to drive. It's taken 280,000 miles of me and the road and is still in great shape. At 100K I did the major tune up. At 200k I had the tranny clutches and seals done, and the second major tune up. Over the 8 years I've owned it I've put one alternator, two starters, 2 battery's, 3 serpentine belts, a fuel pump, one passenger door window motor, one windshield wiper motor, 4 sets of tires, 4 sets of brake shoes, one coolant holding tank, 1 water pump, 1 thermostat, and a new heater core by pass system that I made myself to replace the steel tubed factory one, one set of cab mounts, and 2 stabilizing rods on the front end. I changed the oil every 3k and the first 200k I used pennzoil 5w30 just like the good book (owners manual) says, now it's mobile one high mile synthetic. Beyond that I've changed the tranny fluid every 50K and rotated the tires every 5k. When people are agape at the miles on the car, they can't help to ask. "How did you do it?" My answers always the same. I followed the instructions in the owners manual. American made cars are just as good as the foreign makes any day of the week!"

Great Reliable car!

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I bought this car new 10 years ago and now have 182,000 miles on it. It has the 24V V6 engine and has been virtually problem-free. I spent about $120 to replace a pump perhaps 5 years ago, and now just replaced the O2 sensor; replaced a turn signal lamp last year; also have an issue with interior lights not recognizing when doors are shut- so I had to take out the overhead lamps- aside from those items- regular maintenance- and this car has been excellent. I have been very pleased and certainly got my $$ out of it...now on 4th set of tires!"

Great Automobile

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"This is my second Taurus wagon. My 1997 was in a terrible car accident and the police could not believe how well it held up. Was hit head on and was as solid as a rock. Immediately called the Ford dealership and had a new 1999 Taurus 24v wagon delivered to my office. Not one problem until last week and it cost less than $100 to fix and it was caused by some bad gasoline. Just routine oil changes and new tires and it just turned 80,000 miles today. Friends of mine that own Porsche's can not believe how fast it is. I normally would have traded years ago but love it too much. Getting ready to buy a convertible, but gonna keep this great car!"

Excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, October 04, 2007

"This vehicle has traveled to every corner of the United States and back many times over the 9 years we've owned it. It is one of the most comfortable vehicles we've owned for traveling long distances; economically sound; reliable mechanically. We always give it the 3000 mile oil changes and regular tune-ups when needed. With the exception of replacing tires, a light bulb or two, and minor repairs here and there this car has been extremely reliable in every way."

I LOVE this car

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"I bought this car used with high mileage in 2004, it's 2012 and it's still running strong with mostly original parts. The only parts I have replaced are the rear struts. and tires of course. I take it on long road trips (7-8 hours) several times a year and have never had a breakdown."