1997 Ford Taurus

7.6

Based on 545 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

Great Car to own

By on Tuesday, August 03, 2010

"I have owned this car since it came out in 1999 and this is by far the best vehicle I or anyone else in my family have ever owned. I live in the hills of WV so I obviously need a car with power to get up hills and something that handle well in the snow. This car exceeds at both of these. Also good to know, the car can take a hit from deer. Both times my mother was going 45 and hit the deer with no damage but a turning bulb that popped out of socket. I would highly recommend this car to anyone who is also looking for good fuel economy, 26 on the hills, 30 on the highway. A great car for anyone to own. The only thing that has ever gone wrong with the car are the usual wear and tear parts."

Work Horse

By on Sunday, July 25, 2010

"This is the 4th Taurus I have owned including one SHO and I loved them all. If your thinking about buying a used one make sure it has the Duratec 24V DOHC or the V8 motor in it and the 14 bolt transmission; the Yamaha V8 (SHO) will have the 14 bolt tranny. Also look for service records that prove the transmission and engine were serviced as scheduled; if they were not then you will have problems especially with the tranny."

It's a solid running car Reliable for around town

By on Sunday, August 28, 2011

"It's a reliable car for it's age. It starts right away every time you start it good pick good gas mileage"

Great Ford Product

By on Sunday, May 23, 2010

"We bought this car new in 1999 as our primary family sedan. It eventually became a car for my wife to drive around town and to work although it sometimes makes 200 mile road trips. We hoped to be able to keep it for 10 years and it has served us well for over 133,000 miles. We have done regular maintenance and had the big tune-up done after 100,000 miles. No problems. The leather seats and exterior still look almost like new, but I FINALLY convinced the "better half" to get a new car. This car has been great! The sun roof still works perfectly, as well as the audio system . The only negative has been some difficulty with the power lock. The next owner will be purchasing a very reliable vehicle."

99 taurus

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"The 99 Taurus has been a comfortable car with low operating expenses. The car has 128,000 miles and very little has gone wrong with it. Most of the servicing can be done at Jiffy Lube. Fuel economy is around 24 mpg around town and as high as 30mpg on the highway. The A/C is excellent and the stereo is good. Of the six cars I own, the Taurus is the least costly to operate and we often chose to drive it over the other cars because of the driving comfort."

275,000 and doing fine

By on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

"I bought my Taurus used with 70K miles on it from my younger brother at a local ford dealership. I had instructed him that I wanted a one owner, woman owned American made car, with carfax, and all maintenance records. It took him 2 months but was worth the wait. My Taurus has been a great car and today I'm giving it to one of my employees for his wife to drive. It's taken 280,000 miles of me and the road and is still in great shape. At 100K I did the major tune up. At 200k I had the tranny clutches and seals done, and the second major tune up. Over the 8 years I've owned it I've put one alternator, two starters, 2 battery's, 3 serpentine belts, a fuel pump, one passenger door window motor, one windshield wiper motor, 4 sets of tires, 4 sets of brake shoes, one coolant holding tank, 1 water pump, 1 thermostat, and a new heater core by pass system that I made myself to replace the steel tubed factory one, one set of cab mounts, and 2 stabilizing rods on the front end. I changed the oil every 3k and the first 200k I used pennzoil 5w30 just like the good book (owners manual) says, now it's mobile one high mile synthetic. Beyond that I've changed the tranny fluid every 50K and rotated the tires every 5k. When people are agape at the miles on the car, they can't help to ask. "How did you do it?" My answers always the same. I followed the instructions in the owners manual. American made cars are just as good as the foreign makes any day of the week!"

Great Reliable car!

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I bought this car new 10 years ago and now have 182,000 miles on it. It has the 24V V6 engine and has been virtually problem-free. I spent about $120 to replace a pump perhaps 5 years ago, and now just replaced the O2 sensor; replaced a turn signal lamp last year; also have an issue with interior lights not recognizing when doors are shut- so I had to take out the overhead lamps- aside from those items- regular maintenance- and this car has been excellent. I have been very pleased and certainly got my $$ out of it...now on 4th set of tires!"

Great Automobile

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"This is my second Taurus wagon. My 1997 was in a terrible car accident and the police could not believe how well it held up. Was hit head on and was as solid as a rock. Immediately called the Ford dealership and had a new 1999 Taurus 24v wagon delivered to my office. Not one problem until last week and it cost less than $100 to fix and it was caused by some bad gasoline. Just routine oil changes and new tires and it just turned 80,000 miles today. Friends of mine that own Porsche's can not believe how fast it is. I normally would have traded years ago but love it too much. Getting ready to buy a convertible, but gonna keep this great car!"

Excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, October 04, 2007

"This vehicle has traveled to every corner of the United States and back many times over the 9 years we've owned it. It is one of the most comfortable vehicles we've owned for traveling long distances; economically sound; reliable mechanically. We always give it the 3000 mile oil changes and regular tune-ups when needed. With the exception of replacing tires, a light bulb or two, and minor repairs here and there this car has been extremely reliable in every way."

I LOVE this car

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"I bought this car used with high mileage in 2004, it's 2012 and it's still running strong with mostly original parts. The only parts I have replaced are the rear struts. and tires of course. I take it on long road trips (7-8 hours) several times a year and have never had a breakdown."

Never let me down, rare repairs usually cheap

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Reason: Frame rust

Pros: "24V DOHC engine powerful and trouble-free"

Cons: "Rear struts wear out, frame subject to rust"

"Purchased new, drove it for 205,000 miles for 13-1/2 years. Loved the car, never broke down on me. Only required one major repair: the air conditioning system required replacement after about 9 years. 24V DOHC Duratec engine lived up to its name - the best running, lowest maintenance engine I have ever owned. Never burned oil, but at the very end a gasket needed replacement (slow oil leak), but it cost too much labor to replace (required removal of other components). Had to replace the turn signal stalk, dome light started staying on at times (couldn't figure out where the problem was). Replaced both rear sway bar links, struts needed replacement. That's about it - incredibly few issues for so many years and miles. Never a transmission problem. Got rid of it because of underbody rust - northern Illinois uses a tremendous amount of road salt that causes significant corrosion. Every vehicle I have owned (Ford, Mercury, Toyota, Oldsmobile) have succumbed to rust (except for my one and only Chrysler product - the engine and transmission beat the rust). No visible body rust, just underside."

one of my top vehicles ever owned

By on Saturday, June 26, 2010

"this car is cute and dependable with plenty of get up and go. .Its big enough to withstand an accident but not so big that it reminds you of grandmas car or the neighbors boat. it has plenty of power but with the 3.0 litre V-6 its economical enough. the only thing id realy complain about is the lack of room overall. the front has too much dash, and the seats are uncomfortable. Other than that and the oval back window I LOVE IT111"

Very Dependable

By on Saturday, November 22, 2008

"I bought this car new as a company car for my job. I am the only owner and bought it when my company downsized and got rid of it. Great bargin, couldn't resist. I have 129,00 miles on it and really no problems other than general maint. It drives great, has the best heat and air and radio. It has better air than my son's and he has a 2006 Toyota. Anyone that buys a Taurus is getting a good car. The only thing I had to get used to is the front door opening, It was shaped oval and not the easiest to get into and out. I used to have a 1995 and the front door opening was larger."

Would not buy another

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

"Bought this car from a retired guy. It had 40,000 dealer serviced miles. I saw he had replaced the struts twice, the rotors three times and three sets of brake shoes. At 46,00 miles the transmission began "neutraling" jumping into neutral. I took it to the shop and they had to do a compete rebuild ($2,200). But the 6 cylinder Vulcan engine is great, strong and provides great acceleration. But the turn signal stalk mounted wiper control fails often. At 60,000 miles the ABS light came on and no service tech can find out why. At 62,000 the power locks stopped working along with the power windows (great air conditioning though). Checked all relays and fuses and am down to looking for a ground fault now. My wife wants to paint whiskers on it because it looks like a giant catfish. I have owned four fords in my life and two suffer from transmission issues. Service techs say had a bad reputation and that killed the lead Taurus had in the market."

Good Old Family Car

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage, reliable, comfortable"

"I paid $400 for my Ford Taurus and it was my first car. I am getting ready to trade it in, after 6 years. It has been really good to me, and I have never had to have any major repairs done."

Not bad

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

"For the most part I have really loved my car. Recently I just really wanted an electric and sometimes it seems there are ghosts in the electrical system. Things bing for no reason, the door light is on all the time. Little things like that distract from an otherwise great used car."

great older car

By on Thursday, October 06, 2011

"this is the best used car i have ever bought!! i thought it would be more issues wrong but other replacing the transmission fluid and regular oil changes this car is great (knock on wood just in case lol)"

By on Sunday, August 29, 2010

"I bought my station wagon with 97K in the south with no rust at all and still doesn't show. Replaced shocks, lights, brakes right at the beginning. After that it had "only" a broken cooling hose which I recognized too late. Cost me an expensive repair due to an overheated engine. After 6 Year it has now 176K and except some repairs due to the wear the car is the best value I ever had. Love the space to haul stuff around or just leave my golf gear in the back. The best was 31mpg on some long trips down south. City is closer to 24mpg. The engine is still doing great just loses a power in lower speeds. I hate to look for another car since it needs new half shafts, shocks and a cracked windshield which will cost more the value of the car. It is a joy to drive in snow with it. It got it through foot deep snow without problems due to the front wheel drive."

Best sedan ever made!

By on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

"i bought my taurus 1 yr ago, but its not my first one. this car has been a great car. i drive from port huron, mi to detroit all the time. wich is about 90 miles to the part i go to, it has never left me stranded and never fails to start. it gets about 30-35 mpg on the highway. and not to shabby in town. my brother, two of my sisters, and me all have owned taurus' at one time or another, and they all have been good cars."

1999 Taurus

By on Saturday, August 22, 2009

"I bought this car new off of the dealer showroom floor. It has been dependable with excellnt performance in all aspects. Currently the odometer reads 240k miles. I drive 580 miles from Detroit to DC on a regular basis and get over 30mpg with the 24v v6 engine."

great car!

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"I have owned my 1998 taurus se for only a couple months with 197000 miles for 1800 bucks. didnt think it was a great deal. i have put on 6 thousand miles in 3 months and i have had no problems but tires, a headlight, and the steering pump is just starting to go out. so far its been a great car! i drive 45 miles each way monday through thursday and has not let me down and has not failed to start. i highly reccomend this car!"

96 Taurus - hate to give it up.

By on Friday, June 06, 2008

"I've had my 96 Taurus for 10 years, passed 150,000 miles, still runs great, though engine gaskets are wearing out (leaks oil). Have done no major repairs, engine light has been on for 5 years. Paint still looks great with little to no maintenance. Everything still works. I have to have to give it up to go to a minivan for the family."

Good, Solid American Car

By on Thursday, May 29, 2008

"This vehicle continues to run strong and just passed the 130,000 mile mark. I've done nothing but regular maintenance and this car keeps going. The V6 provides good power and the car also has a comfortable ride for something 10 years old. Also is safe and has decent fuel economy for a car this size. Drives and rides better then my dad's old 2002 Honda Accord."

great vehicle

By on Sunday, May 04, 2008

"This vehicle is reliable, great on gas, and comfortable I love it and would buy another in a heartbeat"

Great value

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"This is about the most functional and reliable car I've ever owned. Being so common is a great thing when it comes time for repairs. Parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. I've been in a couple wrecks and driven 50k miles in this vehicle and it has served me well through out it all. This is a perfect family car. The down-side is obvious, it's not very stylish. I would consider it neutral in the style category...which is far from ugly."