1996 Ford Taurus

7.6

Based on 547 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

Great Reliable car!

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I bought this car new 10 years ago and now have 182,000 miles on it. It has the 24V V6 engine and has been virtually problem-free. I spent about $120 to replace a pump perhaps 5 years ago, and now just replaced the O2 sensor; replaced a turn signal lamp last year; also have an issue with interior lights not recognizing when doors are shut- so I had to take out the overhead lamps- aside from those items- regular maintenance- and this car has been excellent. I have been very pleased and certainly got my $$ out of it...now on 4th set of tires!"

Great Automobile

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"This is my second Taurus wagon. My 1997 was in a terrible car accident and the police could not believe how well it held up. Was hit head on and was as solid as a rock. Immediately called the Ford dealership and had a new 1999 Taurus 24v wagon delivered to my office. Not one problem until last week and it cost less than $100 to fix and it was caused by some bad gasoline. Just routine oil changes and new tires and it just turned 80,000 miles today. Friends of mine that own Porsche's can not believe how fast it is. I normally would have traded years ago but love it too much. Getting ready to buy a convertible, but gonna keep this great car!"

Excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, October 4, 2007

"This vehicle has traveled to every corner of the United States and back many times over the 9 years we've owned it. It is one of the most comfortable vehicles we've owned for traveling long distances; economically sound; reliable mechanically. We always give it the 3000 mile oil changes and regular tune-ups when needed. With the exception of replacing tires, a light bulb or two, and minor repairs here and there this car has been extremely reliable in every way."

Never let me down, rare repairs usually cheap

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Reason: Frame rust

Pros: "24V DOHC engine powerful and trouble-free"

Cons: "Rear struts wear out, frame subject to rust"

"Purchased new, drove it for 205,000 miles for 13-1/2 years. Loved the car, never broke down on me. Only required one major repair: the air conditioning system required replacement after about 9 years. 24V DOHC Duratec engine lived up to its name - the best running, lowest maintenance engine I have ever owned. Never burned oil, but at the very end a gasket needed replacement (slow oil leak), but it cost too much labor to replace (required removal of other components). Had to replace the turn signal stalk, dome light started staying on at times (couldn't figure out where the problem was). Replaced both rear sway bar links, struts needed replacement. That's about it - incredibly few issues for so many years and miles. Never a transmission problem. Got rid of it because of underbody rust - northern Illinois uses a tremendous amount of road salt that causes significant corrosion. Every vehicle I have owned (Ford, Mercury, Toyota, Oldsmobile) have succumbed to rust (except for my one and only Chrysler product - the engine and transmission beat the rust). No visible body rust, just underside."

one of my top vehicles ever owned

By on Saturday, June 26, 2010

"this car is cute and dependable with plenty of get up and go. .Its big enough to withstand an accident but not so big that it reminds you of grandmas car or the neighbors boat. it has plenty of power but with the 3.0 litre V-6 its economical enough. the only thing id realy complain about is the lack of room overall. the front has too much dash, and the seats are uncomfortable. Other than that and the oval back window I LOVE IT111"

Very Dependable

By on Saturday, November 22, 2008

"I bought this car new as a company car for my job. I am the only owner and bought it when my company downsized and got rid of it. Great bargin, couldn't resist. I have 129,00 miles on it and really no problems other than general maint. It drives great, has the best heat and air and radio. It has better air than my son's and he has a 2006 Toyota. Anyone that buys a Taurus is getting a good car. The only thing I had to get used to is the front door opening, It was shaped oval and not the easiest to get into and out. I used to have a 1995 and the front door opening was larger."

Would not buy another

By on Thursday, August 8, 2013

"Bought this car from a retired guy. It had 40,000 dealer serviced miles. I saw he had replaced the struts twice, the rotors three times and three sets of brake shoes. At 46,00 miles the transmission began "neutraling" jumping into neutral. I took it to the shop and they had to do a compete rebuild ($2,200). But the 6 cylinder Vulcan engine is great, strong and provides great acceleration. But the turn signal stalk mounted wiper control fails often. At 60,000 miles the ABS light came on and no service tech can find out why. At 62,000 the power locks stopped working along with the power windows (great air conditioning though). Checked all relays and fuses and am down to looking for a ground fault now. My wife wants to paint whiskers on it because it looks like a giant catfish. I have owned four fords in my life and two suffer from transmission issues. Service techs say had a bad reputation and that killed the lead Taurus had in the market."

Good Old Family Car

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage, reliable, comfortable"

"I paid $400 for my Ford Taurus and it was my first car. I am getting ready to trade it in, after 6 years. It has been really good to me, and I have never had to have any major repairs done."

Not bad

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

"For the most part I have really loved my car. Recently I just really wanted an electric and sometimes it seems there are ghosts in the electrical system. Things bing for no reason, the door light is on all the time. Little things like that distract from an otherwise great used car."

great older car

By on Thursday, October 6, 2011

"this is the best used car i have ever bought!! i thought it would be more issues wrong but other replacing the transmission fluid and regular oil changes this car is great (knock on wood just in case lol)"