1996 Ford Taurus

7.6

Based on 545 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

Never let me down, rare repairs usually cheap

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Reason: Frame rust

Pros: "24V DOHC engine powerful and trouble-free"

Cons: "Rear struts wear out, frame subject to rust"

"Purchased new, drove it for 205,000 miles for 13-1/2 years. Loved the car, never broke down on me. Only required one major repair: the air conditioning system required replacement after about 9 years. 24V DOHC Duratec engine lived up to its name - the best running, lowest maintenance engine I have ever owned. Never burned oil, but at the very end a gasket needed replacement (slow oil leak), but it cost too much labor to replace (required removal of other components). Had to replace the turn signal stalk, dome light started staying on at times (couldn't figure out where the problem was). Replaced both rear sway bar links, struts needed replacement. That's about it - incredibly few issues for so many years and miles. Never a transmission problem. Got rid of it because of underbody rust - northern Illinois uses a tremendous amount of road salt that causes significant corrosion. Every vehicle I have owned (Ford, Mercury, Toyota, Oldsmobile) have succumbed to rust (except for my one and only Chrysler product - the engine and transmission beat the rust). No visible body rust, just underside."

one of my top vehicles ever owned

By on Saturday, June 26, 2010

"this car is cute and dependable with plenty of get up and go. .Its big enough to withstand an accident but not so big that it reminds you of grandmas car or the neighbors boat. it has plenty of power but with the 3.0 litre V-6 its economical enough. the only thing id realy complain about is the lack of room overall. the front has too much dash, and the seats are uncomfortable. Other than that and the oval back window I LOVE IT111"

Very Dependable

By on Saturday, November 22, 2008

"I bought this car new as a company car for my job. I am the only owner and bought it when my company downsized and got rid of it. Great bargin, couldn't resist. I have 129,00 miles on it and really no problems other than general maint. It drives great, has the best heat and air and radio. It has better air than my son's and he has a 2006 Toyota. Anyone that buys a Taurus is getting a good car. The only thing I had to get used to is the front door opening, It was shaped oval and not the easiest to get into and out. I used to have a 1995 and the front door opening was larger."

Would not buy another

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

"Bought this car from a retired guy. It had 40,000 dealer serviced miles. I saw he had replaced the struts twice, the rotors three times and three sets of brake shoes. At 46,00 miles the transmission began "neutraling" jumping into neutral. I took it to the shop and they had to do a compete rebuild ($2,200). But the 6 cylinder Vulcan engine is great, strong and provides great acceleration. But the turn signal stalk mounted wiper control fails often. At 60,000 miles the ABS light came on and no service tech can find out why. At 62,000 the power locks stopped working along with the power windows (great air conditioning though). Checked all relays and fuses and am down to looking for a ground fault now. My wife wants to paint whiskers on it because it looks like a giant catfish. I have owned four fords in my life and two suffer from transmission issues. Service techs say had a bad reputation and that killed the lead Taurus had in the market."

Good Old Family Car

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage, reliable, comfortable"

"I paid $400 for my Ford Taurus and it was my first car. I am getting ready to trade it in, after 6 years. It has been really good to me, and I have never had to have any major repairs done."