1996 Ford Taurus

7.6

Based on 526 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

good power and performance for a 4 door sedan..

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

"Easy acceleration on highway merges and passing. Good comfort and climate control."

One Owner - Bought it new for my wife...

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "Runs drives & handles well. Best car I ever owned!"

Cons: "None. In 171k miles it never even ran out of gas!"

"This was my wife's first & only new car. I bought it for her in '97. It has been a GREAT car. In fact it outlived her by 4 years and is still going strong. IMO, it's the best car I've ever owned! I'm passing it on to our grandson who got his license three months ago. It has been ultra-reliable and still runs, drives & handles great after 17 years & 171,000 miles!"

Wasted a Decade of My Life on This Car

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Reason: Car Accident - Totaled

Pros: "The stereo was the best thing about this car"

Cons: "Engine failed, coil spring snapped and much more.."

"I purchased the Ford Taurus in 2002. It was a 1999 model. After driving the vehicle for ONE year, the engine failed. Yes, I changed the oil regularly. It didn't matter, I received second and third opinions. I still owed a lot on the vehicle so I bought a rebuilt motor from a 1998 Taurus. Then in 2003 the front passenger side coil spring snapped in half and punctured the tire. I was driving 20 mph through my neighborhood. One year later i received a postcard in the mail from Ford that said, "RECALL: The coil spring in the Taurus is defective." I finally paid off the Taurus and then someone blew through a 4-way stop sign and destroyed my car once and for all. I owned the Taurus for 11 years. During that time i had to repair or replace the following: 1. The entire engine 2. Brakes, calipers, rotors 3. Wheel bearings 4. Ball joints 5. Alternator 6. Muffler 7. Catalytic Converter 8. Fuel pump 9. Batteries, points, plugs 10. EGR air valve 11. Water pump 12. Air conditioner 13. Serpentine belt 14. Transmission failed I spent about $24,000 on an $12,000 car. I know there are many people who love the Ford Taurus but my car was a nightmare. Something broke on a weekly basis. When the engine failed my mileage was at 47,000 and the warranty expired at 45,000. Thanks for the memories FORD!"

the best car I have ever owned. I love my Taurus.

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

"I bought this car new. It has held up well and has performed above and beyond any car I have ever owned and still going strong! I highly recommend Ford Taurus."

She's my most reliable companion ever :)

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "Easy keeper, minor repairs and affordable majors"

Cons: "Zero room to work on. deteriorating materials."

"I have had this car for over 11 years and put over 245,000 miles on her. Every breakdown we have experienced was my fault to some extent or entirely my fault, she's had a myriad of repairs to include the engine, starter, alternator, wiring harness, radiator, fuel tank and pump, brake lines and brakes, front and rear, new just about everything. The milage we have experienced with most of the factory parts has been astounding. She was a lemon already when I bought her and she has just trooped her way into my heart, I love this car. She looks every day of 18 and I smile everytime I see her. Every scratch, dent or bubble has its own tale to tell and I have had the pleasure of being there with her for nearly all of them."

Reliable car

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "runs good on low gas , first brake down"

Cons: "battery cable loose, driver door lock manually"

"The car will get you from point A to point B, Bad Engine, good on gas, windows, doors, trunk, horn, signals and windshield wipers work properly, has all four tires, power steering has a leak, good battery, radio and A/C works great, brakes and gas pedal good, glove box and arm rest need replacement,"

Good first car

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

"This is my first car. I like it quite a bit. It has good speed and power and it is very comfy. It is mainly reliable besides my starter is going bad. It gets bad mileage but it is a old v6 (what do you expect!)"

She is still serving our family

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "reliable, cheap repairs, great engine power"

Cons: "small cupholders, headlights bulbs replaced"

"this car was bought new by our parents its been handy down from several generations everybody in the family has driven this car. My Taurus which I am last current owner of it still driving at now 367,000 miles nothing never went wrong on her except overheated to due a bad coolant system but my brother replaced it at AutoZone much cheaper instead a service garage for free. It's comfortable with 6 passenger bucket seats, ice cold air conditioner and nice toasting hot heater on cold mornings below 10'F love our vehicle I'm looking at a newer vehicle but give this one to our 21 year old son for getting around in it's been well cared for lots of years. This car is like a will in the family as been a obituary automobile because everybody been taking it over like a free ride but we all loved this car from a great reliability had out of it. I will miss our 1996 Taurus LX after looking for replacement with a more upgraded car but my son who lives in another town couple miles from us is get ready to drive it in his hands hope he doesn't abuse this Almighty Jennifer that is her name she has been a well careful clean ride with younger children at legal ages likes to joy ride in vehicles our son is one of them maybe he'll know this will be a good reliable ride for him until he buys himself a newer vehicle too. Only things replaced batteries, tires, brakes, struts, coolant system, belts and CV joints oil change every 3k miles and fluids doing maintenance time. I highly recommend someone who is looking for a budget car buy a 96 Taurus or Sable these cars are very reliable and solid my coworker used to drive a 97 Sable he got almost 400k miles out his with nothing but oil changes and repairing minor things usual he drove his like drinking water as we did with the Taurus."

This car is a beast! (in a good way)

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Awesome on gas"

Cons: "only one suitable cup holder"

"This car has to be one of the best I have driven. It actually was amazing in the snow this past winter (when we got a total of 18 inches in two days, it was perfect never got stuck once!) The only con I have is how easily parts can be damaged with the PA roads (seriously the pot holes are horrible here, and its either avoid one deep one or hit several small ones) Overall though this car was so worth putting money into to continue driving it. The handling was spot on, the interior TO ME was a tad blah but hey that can always be changed."

I LOVE this car!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Comfy, handles great, powerful engine, fun to drv"

Cons: "weak defrost, seats don't lay flat, foggy headlite"

"She's a real gem! She is comfy, handles great, nice ride, heat cranks (lol), lots of room, versatile, and I feel safe. However, the headlights are foggy, a/c doesn't work, weak defrost means I have to roll down the windows in the rain to clear them ...and the door locks don't always work right, but those are mostly minor issues. I got her when my uncle died and nobody wanted her b/c she was filled to the gills with junk and trash and sitting in a deep mud puddle.. I cleaned her up, named her, and other than the regular upkeep like tires, battery, brakes, etc.. I haven't had to make any serious repairs. She had 81k miles when I got her in 2011, and had just had the transmission done. Between my son and I, we put on 24k more miles (so far!) and she's now at 105,000 miles. I was rear-ended in this car and did get hurt - Thank God I was wearing my seat belt... but it could have been much worse. She took the hit well and the car that hit me was totaled, but she only has minor scrapes and denting on bumper and rear hatch door. I'm Still driving her with a :)"

i love my taurus

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

"best ride ever, i love my taurus"

was a great car/ temporary house

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "comfy, gas mileage great, good for disaBLED PERSON"

Cons: "none except LOSING"

"Unlikely that a repeat of injustices concerning...(won't get into it now)"

Ford Tough

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "Still gets good gas mileage"

Cons: "The stereo is difficult to replace, headlight haze"

"I bought this car off my parents and aside from some A/C issues and rust(the car is 16 years old) I haven't had too many serious issues. The rust is contained to the rear wheel wells and the rocker panel. The car has +230k miles (mostly highway) on it and still going strong. 70k of those miles I have added to the odometer. My parents have almost always driven Ford's and when this car finally dies I plan to buy another Ford."

Piece of Junk :(

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Reason: junk

Pros: "great price, OK gas mileage"

Cons: "transmission?, overheating, mysterious overheating"

"1996 Ford Taurus-- Pros- Maneuverable Nice interior Easy to use- gears and radio, wiper, and controls etc. were easy to navigate Cons- Sound system Weak transmission Overheating-- took it to a couple of mechanics and they could not figure out why it was overheating so much. THis was my daily driver for senior year of HS and into freshman year of college, and it was miserable everyday. I spent a lot of my time driving in the summer with the heater on to keep the engine cool. It lasted a little while, but I ended up selling it as scrap about 5 months owning it. I wanted to love the car, as it was my first purchase, but could not!"

Possibly the best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Great fuel economy, dependable, super performance"

Cons: "poor electrical system quality"

"I bought this car 7 years ago used; it had 31k miles on it and I paid $6400. I had the "ghost wipers" and had to replace the rack under warranty, but I have driven it over 180k miles since and have not had to put 1 dime in it except for wear parts. The electrical system was wonky as is the case with others of this model and year, but other than the death of the sound system, it has not been too inconvenient."

Best car I have ever owned. Never let me down

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "Great value"

"Minor things are going wrong which is typical of a car this age. It has been so reliable for me and it's still runs nice."

By on Thursday, September 05, 2013

Reason: I could afford a new car

Pros: "cost, space, going throught snow,"

Cons: "breaks"

"I had this car from 2006 to 2012 and it was a great started car. The thing was a tank in the snow and had great room for passanges and all kinds of gear. I had the overheating problem at the end and no shop could figure it out until after I sold it a buddy that works on cars. I found out after that it was the water pump and all the shops were to stupid to figure that out. car got 28 mpg highway consistanly. City driving I got around 14-18mpg. It was very easy to see outside the car when driving. I did have some problems with the breaks and had to change them more than normal. I think this was because it was a heavier car. Overall I loved this car and would recommend it."

has lasted 13 years and is still going strong!

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

"I have owned this car for 13 years now and (other than the transmission), I have not had to replace anything other than routine maintenance parts. The car has a smooth ride and PLENTY of power! It's strong heavy and sturdy and I feel completely safe inside. I have made multiple long-distance trips and the rides were smooth and pleasant all around. for the price I payed, it's am amazing deal. I highly recommend this vehicle for anyone, especially new drivers!"

Would not buy another

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

"Bought this car from a retired guy. It had 40,000 dealer serviced miles. I saw he had replaced the struts twice, the rotors three times and three sets of brake shoes. At 46,00 miles the transmission began "neutraling" jumping into neutral. I took it to the shop and they had to do a compete rebuild ($2,200). But the 6 cylinder Vulcan engine is great, strong and provides great acceleration. But the turn signal stalk mounted wiper control fails often. At 60,000 miles the ABS light came on and no service tech can find out why. At 62,000 the power locks stopped working along with the power windows (great air conditioning though). Checked all relays and fuses and am down to looking for a ground fault now. My wife wants to paint whiskers on it because it looks like a giant catfish. I have owned four fords in my life and two suffer from transmission issues. Service techs say had a bad reputation and that killed the lead Taurus had in the market."

My second Taurus, my first was a 98, both great!

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage, rides and drives great, good power!"

Cons: "Only problem with 98 model was front brake discs."

"I bought my first Taurus used (98) in 1999,it was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. I recently fell upon hard times and purchased a 97 model. I was very fortunate to find this one owner car in cherry condition. I was a Ford fan anyway so I was sold."

my baha mobille kept the car well great transporta

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "has 4 new tires a new battery only 2000.00$"

Cons: "needs aircon flashed"

"this car has a silver/lilac shimmer to it. well kept passed smog test has 2014 tags.needs someone that loves ford Taurus as much as we do"

Excellent car

By on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Pros: "Excellent daily driver"

Cons: "Can be costly when a repair is needed."

"Drives well and has a lot of go when you need it. The interior is comfortable and has all the necessary accessories."

very clean no rust recent upgrades

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "great price very clean and no rust"

Cons: "drivers door lock needs repair..air condition rec"

"this car is very clean and has no rust interior is in excellent condition. The car only has 118000 miles on it,not driven in the winter for the last 4 years.good looking car"

the best car i ever owned yet

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "got it for a great price an it runs great"

"I love my car it runs smooth an drives great its roomy an very comfertible and its like me its realy toughf"

A Sweetheart of a car. Ford did good on this baby.

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Nice looking and fun to drive. Makes me feel young"

Cons: "Would like a CD player, will have to install one."

"A wonderful "Zippy" vehicle. Will give you more than you ask for. Have to use cruise, if I don't want a ticket. My first Ford, and I love her. She is older, but will stand with the new ones any day."

See if you qualify for