• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1999 Ford Ranger Super Cab

8.2

Based on 740 Ratings for the 1998 - 2000 models.

Good all-around pickup

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"I have a 1998 supercab 4x4 in xlt trim, with the 3 liter v-6 and 5 speed manual. I bought it with 49,000 miles in april 03', it now has 89,000 miles. Here is what I've experienced: -Averages 20 mpg overall. -If you have 4x4, get the 4.0 for better torque, especially if you're towing. -The front ball joints wore out by 80K, there are no grease fittings on them either. -Replaced alternator around 80K. -Factory exhaust is still in good shape. -Be careful how you engage the automatic hubs, or you can wreck them. "Read the owner's manual." -Paint is still very glossy, not a speck of rust anywhere. Alloy rims are pitted from road salt though. Overall, this has been a very good, tough truck. If you're going to buy a ranger, make sure you get the one that fits your needs. Get a 4x4 for sure if you live in the snowbelt. Stay away from earlier rangers with twin I-beam suspensions. The older 2.8L and 2.9L had problems as well."

Great First Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 30, 2008

"This was my first vehicle and lasted me a good 5 years. We bought it used in '03 and it already had 76,000 miles on it. Other than having to replace the Air Conditioner once, we have had no major mechanical problems. There have been many times where we used this truck jump start or replace our primary vehicle when it had failed. This truck always came to our recue. PROS: *Dependable - Has never not started on the first try *Looks sharpe *Great little off-roader *Easy to drive around town CONS: *Fuel-Economy - I typically get 13mpg city *Passenger room - I fit just fine in the truck, but I can't haul more than one other person comfortably."

Great bang for the buck!!

By on Saturday, March 15, 2008

"I've had my truck for about 4 years now, bought it used with 100,000 on it. It has never let me down, just regular maintinence, and now with gas prices the way they are, its great that its the flex fuel model and I can run e85 in it. only 2.50 a gallon rather than 3.69 for regular! still getting 24miles per gallon!! with a 4x4 that isnt underpowered at all thats pretty dang good!"

my 4th ranger in a row

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "great for outdoor sports support"

Cons: "really cheap carpet, windshields always crack"

"these are very useful vehicles overall. i can't believe ford is disc. them in the us. who will be the 1st co to bring a good small pickup to this mkt? That will probably be my next new vehicle."

best little truck ever made

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"i have a 1998 4.0 ranger 4x4 and have never had problems after 125000 miles of hard driving on it. this is a strong little truck,will take you almost anywhere off-road,very durable and dependable!! gas mileage isnt the greatest,but will sacrifice for being trouble free driving..i will continue to drive this truck untill it falls apart,which i believe will be at least another 100,000 miles. if you are debating on buying one of these trucks just stop and buy it, you wont go wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Ranger Super Cab near Honolulu. See local deals