• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

1998 Ford Ranger Super Cab

8.2

Based on 728 Ratings for the 1998 - 2000 models.

comfy but no power

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"very comfy, lots int. space. looks good,runs good. not much power for v-6"

Great motor and drivetrain reliability

By on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pros: "Good value, reliable"

Cons: "Typical Detroit interior naggling problems"

"My second 2000 Ford ranger (both bought in excellent used condition), like I said, very reliable motor and trans. First big repair after 10 years and 2 trucks almost identical is now looming large: heater core replacement, @ 8 hours flat rate it's going to cost me over a grand. This truck I have now has a problem with the factory stereo and the heater fan motor makes a card-in-the-bicycle-spokes noise. Thefirst one I had was buit in Ontario and seemed better, but was newer."

I can't kill it

By on Sunday, December 07, 2014

Pros: "Beefy Drive Train, Decent on Fuel, Can't kill it"

Cons: "Headroom, touch sluggish, some rust prone spots"

"I bought mine up in Maine for 500 bucks with a blown head gasket and changed it myself for a total cost of no more than 75 bucks. I have since put over 10,000 more miles on it without a single complaint. Even at 217,000 miles, I can easily average 18-20 mpg highway with the 3.0 bolted to a 4 speed auto with the 4.10:1 rear end. Is it a fast car? no, but come winter time I sure have a blast flinging it around. Even in 26 inches of heavy wet snow it trudged right on like it was a dry sunny day in August. Downsides: I am over 6 feet tall, so I personally have some headroom issues. They discontinued the model in 2011 so it'll be harder to get parts in the future. Some issues with the clear coat flaking after 14 New England winters. Still in my humble opinion the best small pickup to have hit the market, perfect for countless light utility and off road applications."

Never regretted buying. Good truck

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "does the job, good 4 wheel drive"

Cons: "gas mileage, drives like a truck"

"Have had for 9 yrs. bought@ the end of someone's lease in 2005. I am a senior citizen who does her own yard work, and this truck does the job, hauling. Many out of state trips, as well as moving furniture with it. Good 4X4, pulls people out of a ditch,good traction. its been my partner in travel. Only downfall is the gas mileage. 15 Mi. to a gallon. No major repairs, just things replaced as they fall apart due to the age of this vehicle. No motor or transmission problems, its been good to me, and I've been good to it. People often ask me if I'm selling it anytime soon. Looking for a ford focus(totalled my last one) as its getting harder and harder to get up in the truck, (73 yr. old)."

All-Around Dependable Great Little Truck !!

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "Perfect size, Dependable, 4WD good in snow"

Cons: "4.0L only gets 16mpg, 2WD not good for snow"

"I have owned "6" different Ford Rangers in the last 25 yrs, and I have bought them both new and used. I just purchased #6, which is a 1999 Super-cab 4dr 4WD 3.0 V6, with auto trans, that has ONLY 55K original miles on it!! I have had both manual and auto trans, both regular and xtracab 2- and 4dr, step-side and style-side beds, and both the 3.0L and 4.0L engines. Although I have owned mostly GM and Toyota cars over the years, I am particularly fond of these little trucks. They are dependable, fun to drive, and relatively inexpensive to maintain. The 3.0 V6 is better on gas than the 4.0L and pulls strong and drives well, and the bigger V6 runs smooth and strong and feels like a V8. The 4dr supercab is the way to go, as it gives you the extra space in the cab and room for 2 to sit in the "jump seats". The 4WD is also a must to have, esp. if you live in areas that get alot of snow in winter. The 2WD Rangers are also very smooth and dependable,and a little better on gas, but typically they lack for good traction/handling in snow over 3". All the Rangers I've owned have never given me any significant problems, and I find the size of this truck is perfect for most jobs you will need it for. I like the style, the ride, and overall performance and dependability of these trucks, so that is why i'm currently driving Ranger #6 !!!"

If Ford still made Rangers, I'd buy again

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pros: "A reliable machine, ample cargo ability for DIYers"

Cons: "typical rear-wheel slipage"

"This machine has performed well over the past 16 years. It has given no significant problems that I could not fix myself. One irritant has been the windshield wiper control, which while it has mind of its own - I simply got used to it over time. Other than that it's performed admirably: the extended cab is a significant plus (cargo, tools, and extra passengers etc.) The upgraded upholstered seats make for comfortable long-distant driving"

reliable

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

"Just did a complete tune up (2 wks ago) Replaced brake line today. Tires good. Reliable. Grandsons vehicle."

The best vehicle I've had.

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: "They're tough and go forever."

Cons: "I didn't really not like anything about it."

"The entire time I had this vehicle, it was a well diversified truck. It was decent on fuel and could do a lot of work. It was tough and didn't take damage too easy. The Ranger had a good ride and it handled well too in all the elements. I always felt safe in it. It also had pretty good ground clearance for a smaller truck."

dependable,but gas milage not very good!

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "body style looks nice"

Cons: "gas milage low and power low"

"looks good,rides good ,very comfortable,but I think I licked my Nissan truck better"

I have owned this vehicle for 10 years. It's a

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "affordable price, reliability"

Cons: "choppy ride, road noise"

"Solid performer and after nearly 150000 miles, had its first major repair (intake manifold gaskets)."

great shape-never wrecked

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

"good looking, drives very well, great for small to medium jobs"

appropriate sized pickup for commuting and jobs

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "very responsive acceleration, steering, and brakes"

Cons: "a bit too "cozy" for some passengers"

"Ford seems to have the most durable of the small pickups, and incorporates the convenience features of an automobile. My mechanic likes Fords and I like small trucks because I haul stuff from time to time. He says parts are easier to change, and need less servicing. The engine stays in tune better and MPG stays consistently high without 'tinkering' or changing parts. Particularly nice is the rear doors because I carry an extra passenger sometimes, and I like to lock up my tools without sliding and flipping the seat every time. The guy who loads sand and gravel will give me full measure, but he won't in other small pickups because they FAIL with that much weight. I've pulled a concrete trailer with every kind of pickup, and the Ranger pulls and handles far better with that much weight."

Holds value

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Value has not halved in 12 years!"

SURPRISED BY THE YEARS OF QUALITY

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "LOAD YOUR FUN EQUIPMENT AND DRIVE INTO THE SUNSET"

Cons: "NO POWER SEATS"

"THIS VEHICLE HAS ENDURED THE ROADS IN MICHIGAN FOR ALMOST 17 YEARS. WE CALL OUR RANGER BIG BLUE, WE GET GOOD GAS MILEAGE, EXCELLENT FOR HAULING CARGO; A LITTLE LITE IN THE REAR ON ICY ROADS, BUT OVERALL AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE TO DRIVE. FAMILY AND FRIENDS LOVE IT, WE GET OFFERS FROM SOMEONE TO PURCHASE BIG BLUE ABOUT 5-6 TIMES A MONTH. IT RIDES SMOOTH, YOU CAN FORGET YOU'RE DRIVING A TRUCK"

Most reliable truck I've owned

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

"Runs strong since day one, minor problems and nothing constant or hard to fix."

Have had my truck for six years. Very good truck !

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "powerful v6. goes where ever I wantged to take it"

Cons: "fuel mileage"

"good truck for the money"

great vehicle

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "VERY reliable"

Cons: "headlights don't turn on & off with the engine"

"as far as I am concerned this vehicle is one of THE best fords EVER made. I only buy fords. over the years I have owned Windstar& Taurus. Keep them for a long time."

fine truck

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "easy to work on"

"Its a FORD its a truck a fine truck it is ! Get yourself Ranger before they are gone. They don't make them anymore but here are many out there that needs some tender loving care. They are easy to work on under the shade tree and the parts are not expensive. So lets get together and save some of these fine Trucks. I have two now and looking for my third."

clean truck with good maintenance records

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

"Shocks, Alignment, cams, rplc ball joint $880 rplc cam shaft synchronizer, rplc coil and plugs $860 rplc oxygen sensor $150 rplc intake manifold gaskets/plenum $685 new seat covers $200 rplc fuel pressure regulator, clean mas air sensor $200"

Bought from second owner

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Cons: "ugly 90s style grey interior"

"I like ford rangers. Im a huge ford fan, I really like the old ones. My grandpa has a 94 and its still running and its in good shape. it now has 200k. the v6 3.0 is a very very good engine. His truck has no rust because for galvanized the bodies on rangers until the early 2000s. I realized after I bought it that the owner didnt take care of it and my girlfriend told me after that she actually knows the last owner It has lots of dents and scratches and he towed a 25' boat which I found out after and also its now obvious why the tailgate is dented and the bumper is bent from jackknifing the trailer and the hitch coming off the ball. My truck is just starting to rust. I wish I didn't buy the truck because ive spent about $600 fixing it after I got ripped off by the last owner. It needs the front brakes and rotors, wheel bearings, all 4 tires, and ive done the rear breaks and e brake and undercoated the frame. my friend checked out the truck and he said the engine is mint but the trans is slipping and said not to carry anything heavy. I didnt notice these problems when i bought it. he only told me the ball joints were bad and I fixed them. I would buy another ranger but from a dealer."

A+ for reliability & versatility!

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Great versatility! Hauled 48 40gal coolers"

Cons: "Weak bumbers"

"Pleased with tasks this p/u could perform. AC/Radio controls were easy to access. Take care of this vehicle & it will take care of you!"

1998 Ford Ranger V6 3.0L XLT Super Cab 2WD

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "Never had any problems with it."

Cons: "Has minor body damage, just needs a touch up."

"It's my first truck, honestly I'm looking for something bigger, but it is an amazing truck, it has normal wear and tear you see on older high mileage trucks, the bed is in good shape other than the scratches it has from the years it was used, it doesn't need much maintenance, it runs very well, has great gas mileage, it never has given me any problems, other than trying to get the oil filter, because of it's awkward position, if i could afford a larger truck without having to sell this one I would keep it, but unfortunately i need a larger truck, because of my job, but this one can haul a lot for a small 2WD truck."

Reliable Little Pick-Up

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Small yet Mighty, Reliable"

Cons: "Bed Size, Rear Cab Room"

Just polished!

"Bought it used- 55K miles. Had for 6 years. Took it mudding once, ruined lots of things- Don't recommend that for daily driver. Once all repairs were done, she treated me well. Only reason I'm ridding of it, is because it's time for a big boy- the F-150 FX4. Would recommend as a first vehicle or for a nice little utility truck. Living in Ohio, the 4x4 on the fly was nice- never failed me."

Just polished!

best vehicle I ever owned

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "excellent general quality and driveablilty"

Cons: "poor traction going up hill in ice and snow."

"I bought it new in 2000 for cash. Compared to the toyota I had previously this is a cadillac. It drives better, is build better, and it handles better. The only problem is driving in snow and ice for which you must have newer tires, and even then its traction is terrible in icy conditions driving up hills. I suggest installing heavier springs as soon as they begin to wear, which they will if you carry heavy loads. Otherwise, with max 1,000 lb load, it drives well, especially on the highway."

Saved my life

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Reason: It was bent in half by a semi truck

Pros: "Saved my life"

Cons: "hard to find in good shape"

"I owed this truck for years. It rarely had issues and the ones it had were normal wear and tear for a heavily used vehicle. I would still be driving this truck today if I hadn't been rear ended by a semi truck. This ford pick up saved my life! If any of the safety features had failed or if the truck had not been as well made as it was I would have been pancaked. The truck didn't make it as it more closely resembled the letter V after the accident than it did an automobile, but it did it job and more."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Ranger Super Cab near Honolulu. See local deals