• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1997 Ford Ranger Super Cab

8.4

Based on 631 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Very reliable.

By on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage."

Cons: "Driving in snow. Passenger room in back of cab."

"Great little truck. Bought it with 237k 2 years ago and is still running great. Just normal maintenance ( clutch @ 251k, brakes, and oil changes). Great gas mileage (20-25mpg). Not the greatest to drive in snow. Its really light in the rear end but you just have to use common sense driving in the winter. Extended cab is nice. I'll never have another truck without one. Sucks to be the third or fourth passenger though. Tight spot back there."

Best overall unit I have ever owned

By on Thursday, February 07, 2008

"Bought used about 6 years ago with 60K miles on it It now has over 214,000 miles on it. 4.0 V6 very strong but I have to really massage it to get over 20mpg. I change oil and filter every 5000 miles and usually do not have to add between oil changes. AT has slipped between the 2nd & 3rd gear shift ever since I've had the truck. I've tried a little tighter band adjustments in addition to additives after each 30k mile oil change to no avail. Once the shift has been made it holds so I've just learned to live with it. Mechanically very tough & reliable and the body shows very little rust even with all the salt the city, county and state use. Finally had to replace ball joints just recently. Had problems with power lock switches, door lock sensors, and htr/AC fan switch. I feel this was a supplier problem for Ford. The blend air door broke on the htr/AC and would have cost over $400 dollars to replace it because I would have had to buy the complete airbox form Ford , Instead I installed a mechanical water valve in the heater water hose ($10) Carrier bearing going out for 3rd time but don't know why. Hardly ever drive thru water except in town but only 4-6 inches deep. Except for the electrical problems mentioned earlier, these units are by far one of the toughest vehicles I've ever seen and I feel an outstanding value; and I consider myself a GM lover."

Amzing

By on Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pros: "Reliabilty, Mpg, Comfort"

Cons: "Not alot of room in the extended cab"

"330K and still kicking. I must say around 210-220K miles I didn't wanna go on any long trips because that's when most cars kick it, but after 240k I wasn't worried anymore. It has a brand new Mazda 5 speed trans and I rebuilt the rear end. Doesn't burn oil or anything like that. My average mpg is 23, with a 3.0L V6"

Gas Saver

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Great gas milage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Rear shackles"

"I own the 97 ranger 2.3L and love this little truck. It gets great gas milage for an extended cab pick up, and has never let me down."

One of the better vehicles i've owned

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "very good american-made truck. (FORD) ;-)"

Cons: "a little play in the steering"

"I've had this truck a little over 6 years now, and i love it. I have had very few minor issues, all under 50 dollars, but overall it's been a very good truck. I own the 1994 Extended cab stepside splash model, and i have people asking me about it all the time. This vehicle would be perfect for a first vehicle, or a daily driver. Mine usually goes about 120-150 miles a day, and it gets great gas millage."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Ranger Super Cab near Honolulu. See local deals