2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

8.2

Based on 742 Ratings for the 1998 - 2000 models.

Good all-around pickup

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"I have a 1998 supercab 4x4 in xlt trim, with the 3 liter v-6 and 5 speed manual. I bought it with 49,000 miles in april 03', it now has 89,000 miles. Here is what I've experienced: -Averages 20 mpg overall. -If you have 4x4, get the 4.0 for better torque, especially if you're towing. -The front ball joints wore out by 80K, there are no grease fittings on them either. -Replaced alternator around 80K. -Factory exhaust is still in good shape. -Be careful how you engage the automatic hubs, or you can wreck them. "Read the owner's manual." -Paint is still very glossy, not a speck of rust anywhere. Alloy rims are pitted from road salt though. Overall, this has been a very good, tough truck. If you're going to buy a ranger, make sure you get the one that fits your needs. Get a 4x4 for sure if you live in the snowbelt. Stay away from earlier rangers with twin I-beam suspensions. The older 2.8L and 2.9L had problems as well."

Great bang for the buck!!

By on Saturday, March 15, 2008

"I've had my truck for about 4 years now, bought it used with 100,000 on it. It has never let me down, just regular maintinence, and now with gas prices the way they are, its great that its the flex fuel model and I can run e85 in it. only 2.50 a gallon rather than 3.69 for regular! still getting 24miles per gallon!! with a 4x4 that isnt underpowered at all thats pretty dang good!"

my 4th ranger in a row

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "great for outdoor sports support"

Cons: "really cheap carpet, windshields always crack"

"these are very useful vehicles overall. i can't believe ford is disc. them in the us. who will be the 1st co to bring a good small pickup to this mkt? That will probably be my next new vehicle."

GREAT

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage; sturdy truck"

Cons: "Small cab; not made for giants."

"I drove this truck for 10 years and put 140,000 miles on it. Great truck. Never had any engine or transmission issues. The only thing I had to replace are typical things that wear out over many miles (tires, alternator, suspension, timing belt, etc.) Ford makes great trucks."

The best vehicle I've had.

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: "They're tough and go forever."

Cons: "I didn't really not like anything about it."

"The entire time I had this vehicle, it was a well diversified truck. It was decent on fuel and could do a lot of work. It was tough and didn't take damage too easy. The Ranger had a good ride and it handled well too in all the elements. I always felt safe in it. It also had pretty good ground clearance for a smaller truck."

most durable and reliable vehicle in its class

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "bulletproof reliability, easy to maintain"

Cons: "smaller inside than other mini pickups"

"This is my second Ranger and they have both been totally bulletproof. Have 175,000 miles on this one. The 3.0 V6 is unbreakable and continues to run strong. The ONLY issue it has ever had is the notoriously weak factory radiator with the plastic end caps. This is the only major component that has ever been replaced. Everything else is original except wear items of course. They might be a bit rattly and smaller inside but if you want a totally dependable vehicle this is definitely one to consider."

I owned for 12+yrs I love it. VERY RELIABLE

By on Friday, October 18, 2013

Pros: "great price plenty of bed room and good mpg"

Cons: "I have nothing bad to say about this truck"

"gotten 22+ mpg highway. 18mpg city. has 247k+ miles and starts right up EVERY time. I would buy another one in a heartbeat."

Great pick up when you don't push it's limits.

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Quality, value, convienient"

Cons: "small, mpg same as larger trucks, vacuum hubs"

"I bought this pick up (I use the term pick up because its just not quite tough enough to be called a truck) used with 90,000 miles. Since I bought it I've replaced the automatic vacuum hub system with manual lockers. In my opinion that is a must for this generation of Ranger due to the un-reliability of the stock system. I have replaced for the sake of preventative maintenance: clutch, main bearing, brakes, CV axles, rotors (front). I have bee very pleased with this pick up over all. I push a snow plow with it in the winter, hauled and pulled loads that should have been handled by a 3/4 ton or larger pick up and it keeps truckin like a boss The only real issue I've had with this pick up was in the winter time it was colder that -40 degrees for about 8 days in a row and one day the truck failed to start because of an aging fuel pump. I had to have it towed to a friends garage to thaw. In summary if you are looking for a small pick up this is a great option but remember it's not a full size truck and if you use it as such the poor little guy is going to complain."

100% Reliable

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Great mpg, easy to work on, safe"

Cons: "Low power out of engine, no room in cab."

"I'm the second owner on the truck, vehicle has 275k+ miles and runs perfect. Basic oil changes, tires, plugs wires, coil, clutch, and front end are only repairs ever had to been done. 24 city 29 highway mpg. I love this truck. The only bad thing is the fact it's a single cab... There is no room, it is even small for a standard! I wish the vehicle had a little more power.. I am unable to park on a hill and leave in gear because the lack of compression. On the highway, the get up and go is terrible. At full speed takeoff, I am getting passed by others casual driving."

Reliable Pickup

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Exceptional reliability. No significant problems over 10 years. Excellent drivability in snow and mud. This truck will get you off the mountain in blinding snow storm!"

Ranger

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"The 98 ranger 5 speed 4 wheel drive has been nothing short of reliable. I feel as though it has been as good a truck, if not better, than any of the competing trucks in its class. I have not had any issues outside of standard maintenance. The mileage is 145K and I anticipate it going another 120K without issue."

Saved my life

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Reason: It was bent in half by a semi truck

Pros: "Saved my life"

Cons: "hard to find in good shape"

"I owed this truck for years. It rarely had issues and the ones it had were normal wear and tear for a heavily used vehicle. I would still be driving this truck today if I hadn't been rear ended by a semi truck. This ford pick up saved my life! If any of the safety features had failed or if the truck had not been as well made as it was I would have been pancaked. The truck didn't make it as it more closely resembled the letter V after the accident than it did an automobile, but it did it job and more."

Pretty good little pickup

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Solid pickup, very capable for it's size."

Cons: "Fairly low miles per gallon."

"I bought this pickup late last year, and it has yet to let me down. It wasn't in perfect condition when I got it, it had been used for work. And that's exactly what I expect out of a pickup is for it to work. And with work come dings, scratches and other "blemishes". Gas mileage seems a little bit low than what I would have hoped for in a little pickup but it is what it is. Then again, I do have big tires on it, and they're probably not very fuel economic themselves. Other than that, the only major problem I've had with it are the ball joints like another reviewer had mentioned. The replacement joints I put in did have grease zerks so hopefully they might last a bit longer? Other than that, it has stayed pretty solid for me. Routine maintenance things of course but all in all, I like it very much. It has gotten me through a fair amount of snow, even the record setting snowfall we had a few weeks ago. It's a little tight carrying the family around but we make do."

Pretty good truck!

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Decent on Gas, Cheap and Affordable,"

Cons: "Can't tow much, no crew cab availability."

"I have owned the truck since 2005, it was passed down from my grandfather, and he never drove it. When i got it, it had about 30k Miles on it. No dings, nothing. I used it like a work horse, i tow a 5x10 trailer with it everyday. Trailer will hold about 2500lbs and the truck struggles a bit, but surely gets it done. The only problem i have had with the truck, is the transmisson. I believe it's from all the towing, and overworking that has been done to it. I rebuilt it, using heavy duty parts, and that helps it a little. I've seen many ford rangers with 300k miles on them, so im hoping to atleast get 200k with this. All around good truck."

Basic truck that never let me down

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to maintain, simple design"

Cons: "Rough ride"

"2000 Ford Ranger XLT with 3.0 liter v6, 2wd, limited slip, towing package, hd suspension. 134k mileage. Other than regular maint, tires, brakes, truck only broke down once... computer chip (still ran / did not shift gears). Tow 5k lb boat, dump runs, takes it all. Small, rough ride, very basic, but its a truck (well not in TX). Only putting 3k a year on it now... probably have for another 20 years."

reliable!greatMPG!4passenger!

By on Sunday, September 07, 2008

"Our 1998 Ford Ranger has served us well with great gas mileage very reliable (never been broken down so feeling of confidence is nice. Love that it's 4 passenger and love the front bench seat! Even with 4 passenger extra cab, you can still fit lots in the long bed so always handy. I don't want to let it go but we need money for college tuition!"

Served me well

By on Monday, December 10, 2007

"I just sold my 98 to upgrade to a dreaded minivan. For 9 years the truck was gret to me withthe only problems being the battery cables and the ABS sensor which both were replaced with-in the last 2 years. I bought it back in college and I was a horrible owner and my truck survived me. I will truely miss it and recommend anyone looking for an affordable, trustworthly vehicle to check it out."

2000 ford ranger 4x4 xlt off road model excellent

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pros: "every thing new has everything as far as options"

"Bought this truck 1 year ago since then I have invested over $21,000 new engine from ford 24,000 warranty left, new brakes, new wheel bearings all the way around, new hd shocks, rear ends rebuilt, new air conditioning,drivers seat rebuilt and recovered, new $1500 camper shell with $800 ladder rack. tinted windows, bed liner. nothing on this truck has not been gone through have receipts"

Best vehicle I've ever owned, I love this truck!

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "It's quick at take off, smooth to drive and is fun"

Cons: "I don't have any!"

"It rides like a comfortable car, hauls like a truck, still looks like it's almost new and runs and runs with very few problems. I bought it new in 1999 and put all but 33 of the 178,000 miles on it and have never been disappointed with it's performance. It takes hills like they are nothing, excelerates like a large V8 and has the fuel economy of it's small V6 3.0 flex fuel engine. If you have one take good care of it, if you don't and are looking for a great used truck, this is the one to get!"

Keeps on Kickin

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great in snow/offroad, durable"

Cons: "gas mileage averages 15"

"Owned it for almost 5 years. Bought it used with 54K on it with one previous owner. I've taken it mudding about a half-dozen times. Did VERY well. Kept it as a daily driver after I cleaned all the mud out. Radiator was full of mud for 6 months and I didn't know it. Kept on running fine until it got really hot outside and I realized I was overheating. Cleaned it out and it's had ZERO issues other than regular maintenance (oil change, belts, hoses, tires, brakes). I don't want to get rid of it, but it gets about 15mpg. I own the 3.0L Flex Fuel. I've never put e85 in it, so I can't attest to that. I love the truck. Love the look, love the reliability. Two teenagers can fit in the jumper seats in the back (not very comfortable, but I have had to do it a number of times and we get by). My dogs fit behind my seat. The four doors are crazy awesome and convenient. Like I said. If it weren't for the horrible gas mileage, I would keep it."

Great Quality little truck, Good MPG for a 4x4

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "Great running, Fun to drive."

Cons: "A little small interior"

"Over all GREAT running, MPG is GREAT, A little small on the inside but Im a small person so its good for me. Extended cab is small for an adult but good for children or keeping groceries and such...... I lobve this truck!"

I love this truck

By on Sunday, October 07, 2012

"I have to drive in BAD weather, this truck does it ALL, I down shift, and let the truck work, this truck has gotten me out of so MANY bad weather conditions! LOVE_LOVE It This truck just never quits."

Reliable. Fun to Drive.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Low Maintenance, Holds it's Value"

Cons: "Spare Tire Rusted to Frame, Gas Mileage"

"This truck has been running for 13 years, no major problems. There have been fuel injector replacements and a cat went bad but overall the truck is still running strong. The value of this vehicle really shows in it's dependability and ease of maintenance. It is fun to drive, but it is not made for speed and all that. I would highly recommend to a friend."

It does only what its built to do.

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Sporty little truck!"

Cons: "Not built for michigan or states like it."

"This truck isnt going to haul anything over 2000 pounds. But its not meant to. For what it is i believe this ranger is built well. The rust is a problem though especially since im out of michigan. Ive owned the 4 cyl 5 spd 2WD stepside model for 6 months now. My only warning is to not even bother with 2WD. 3 inches of snow and you are all over the road. Mechanically, she seems to be solid. I swapped out clutch related parts and that was all. For a first time driver, this truck is perfect. Not fast, and not heavy. Decent truck at best."

Good Truck, Few Flaws

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Great Value, Good Towing Capacity, Decent MPGs"

Cons: "Slow on hills, uncomfortable back seats."

"To Start overall I'm very happy with the truck, with that being said there are a few issues. Firstly, on vehicles with 4WD, the 3.0L engine is too small. The vehicle tends to bog down on hills, and when towing you have to lay into it and downshift to keep going forward. Secondly, as with all trucks, it is very important to have some wight in the bed in snow, unless you like fishtailing. Thirdly, on the supercab, get the 4 door model, not the 2 door extended cab. It6 makes getting into and out of the back 1000 times easier. Finally, the "Seats 5" for the extended cab is very optimistic (Or for people driveing 4 toddlers around). While we have fit 5 adults in the truck, the two in the back couldnt move and were being crushed by the front seats, while the person in the middle up front had to control the gas and brakes. In Short, this SHOULD NOT, be a family vehicle."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Ranger Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals