• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

8.2

Based on 734 Ratings for the 1998 - 2000 models.

Bought Used in 1998 with 1200 Miles on Odometer.

By on Sunday, December 28, 2014

Pros: "Has lasted 16 years and still going strong."

Cons: "Rear end tires get a little loose in rain."

"Fixed Air Conditioner (Cracked Accumulator) and New Rear Brakes @ 54,000 Miles. Front brakes still at 50% have never been replaced. Replaced Transmission filter/fluid, flushed and put lifetime radiator fluid at 45,000 miles. Other than minor repair, oil/filter, and a new set of tires at 42,000 miles it's still working and useable whenever needed to pick up wood, bricks or whatever for the country property. Can't ask for more after 16 years!"

comfy but no power

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"very comfy, lots int. space. looks good,runs good. not much power for v-6"

Great motor and drivetrain reliability

By on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pros: "Good value, reliable"

Cons: "Typical Detroit interior naggling problems"

"My second 2000 Ford ranger (both bought in excellent used condition), like I said, very reliable motor and trans. First big repair after 10 years and 2 trucks almost identical is now looming large: heater core replacement, @ 8 hours flat rate it's going to cost me over a grand. This truck I have now has a problem with the factory stereo and the heater fan motor makes a card-in-the-bicycle-spokes noise. Thefirst one I had was buit in Ontario and seemed better, but was newer."

I can't kill it

By on Sunday, December 07, 2014

Pros: "Beefy Drive Train, Decent on Fuel, Can't kill it"

Cons: "Headroom, touch sluggish, some rust prone spots"

"I bought mine up in Maine for 500 bucks with a blown head gasket and changed it myself for a total cost of no more than 75 bucks. I have since put over 10,000 more miles on it without a single complaint. Even at 217,000 miles, I can easily average 18-20 mpg highway with the 3.0 bolted to a 4 speed auto with the 4.10:1 rear end. Is it a fast car? no, but come winter time I sure have a blast flinging it around. Even in 26 inches of heavy wet snow it trudged right on like it was a dry sunny day in August. Downsides: I am over 6 feet tall, so I personally have some headroom issues. They discontinued the model in 2011 so it'll be harder to get parts in the future. Some issues with the clear coat flaking after 14 New England winters. Still in my humble opinion the best small pickup to have hit the market, perfect for countless light utility and off road applications."

Never regretted buying. Good truck

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "does the job, good 4 wheel drive"

Cons: "gas mileage, drives like a truck"

"Have had for 9 yrs. bought@ the end of someone's lease in 2005. I am a senior citizen who does her own yard work, and this truck does the job, hauling. Many out of state trips, as well as moving furniture with it. Good 4X4, pulls people out of a ditch,good traction. its been my partner in travel. Only downfall is the gas mileage. 15 Mi. to a gallon. No major repairs, just things replaced as they fall apart due to the age of this vehicle. No motor or transmission problems, its been good to me, and I've been good to it. People often ask me if I'm selling it anytime soon. Looking for a ford focus(totalled my last one) as its getting harder and harder to get up in the truck, (73 yr. old)."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Ranger Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals