• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

8.4

Based on 632 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Love my Ranger

By on Friday, September 02, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage, comfortable truck"

Cons: "windows not factory tinted"

"This is my 3rd Ranger. First Ranger '86 long wheel base 4cyl automatic, good truck but needed to trade for a van. Second Ranger '89 6 cyl 5 speed 4whl drive king cab- still own- won't sell. Third Ranger '95 king cab 2whl drive 4cyl 5speed- grew up with the woman who bought it new, she sold it to my nephew. Both easy drivers. I gave $2000 truck had 112,000 original miles. Love my Ranger. Not for sale"

Ghost in the Machine

By on Saturday, May 24, 2008

"I have had a 97 Ranger extra cab for 8 years now. It's got 117,000 miles on it and has been mostly reliable. I must have one of those cars you hear about and hope to never own. I call it Ghost in the Machine. I have had many issues with the AC leaking, and the kicker is the electrical system. The wipers will come on by themselves when I driving, the cab light comes on the same way and has been doing it for the last 6 yrs, best of all when you have on the AC and the blinker on and turn left at a light with some acceration it will blow a 30amp fuse. It's happen to me 3 times in the last year and a half. It kills the truck so I carry 2 spair 30 amp fuses so I don't get stranded again. I have had it looked at and they can't find the problem. I just replaced the clutch and am going to get rid of it now. I would not take the chance of buying it again just from the experance that I have had."

Can't beat the service

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "hauls like a 150"

"This ranger is only 1991, was an R title. It hauls logs, hauled all remodeling supplies for 5 yrs. Maintenance has been minimal as far as out of the ordinary upkeep goes."

Great vehicle with the 4.0 liter engine

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

"SO glad I bought the extended cab. It makes it so much more comfortable and useful. 4 liter engine turns slower at highway speeds than the 3 liter, so even though it was more expensive, I think it gets about the same mileage, 18 around town, better/unknown on highway. 4.0 also included 4 wheel ABS that I think saved me from an accident at least twice. 100,000 miles and still running strong, as well as not using a drop of oil between changes every 5K miles. Only weak point is for all the rangers of this era, rubber tube connecting gas tank with filler fails and it's $300 at Ford. When I get to it, I'll have a muffler shop fabricate a steel replacement and connect with simple, straight, gas hose."

Abused and still running strong!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Taken a lot of abuse and ready for more!"

Cons: "No cup holders, Regular cab is small."

"I bought this used in '97. Has seen 3 kids thru high school plus my overweighted and hard driving styles. Put on helper springs to aid with weights of things carried, otherwise still stock. Have only done expected repairs for milage and often well past regular intervals. Still has original clutch! Never been aligned even with our limestone roads, still doesn't need it. Great little truck. Only thing I would change would be to have gotten an extened cab. All else is great!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Ranger Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals