1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

8.3

Based on 633 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Best overall unit I have ever owned

By on Thursday, February 07, 2008

"Bought used about 6 years ago with 60K miles on it It now has over 214,000 miles on it. 4.0 V6 very strong but I have to really massage it to get over 20mpg. I change oil and filter every 5000 miles and usually do not have to add between oil changes. AT has slipped between the 2nd & 3rd gear shift ever since I've had the truck. I've tried a little tighter band adjustments in addition to additives after each 30k mile oil change to no avail. Once the shift has been made it holds so I've just learned to live with it. Mechanically very tough & reliable and the body shows very little rust even with all the salt the city, county and state use. Finally had to replace ball joints just recently. Had problems with power lock switches, door lock sensors, and htr/AC fan switch. I feel this was a supplier problem for Ford. The blend air door broke on the htr/AC and would have cost over $400 dollars to replace it because I would have had to buy the complete airbox form Ford , Instead I installed a mechanical water valve in the heater water hose ($10) Carrier bearing going out for 3rd time but don't know why. Hardly ever drive thru water except in town but only 4-6 inches deep. Except for the electrical problems mentioned earlier, these units are by far one of the toughest vehicles I've ever seen and I feel an outstanding value; and I consider myself a GM lover."

Amzing

By on Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pros: "Reliabilty, Mpg, Comfort"

Cons: "Not alot of room in the extended cab"

"330K and still kicking. I must say around 210-220K miles I didn't wanna go on any long trips because that's when most cars kick it, but after 240k I wasn't worried anymore. It has a brand new Mazda 5 speed trans and I rebuilt the rear end. Doesn't burn oil or anything like that. My average mpg is 23, with a 3.0L V6"

Great vehicle with the 4.0 liter engine

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

"SO glad I bought the extended cab. It makes it so much more comfortable and useful. 4 liter engine turns slower at highway speeds than the 3 liter, so even though it was more expensive, I think it gets about the same mileage, 18 around town, better/unknown on highway. 4.0 also included 4 wheel ABS that I think saved me from an accident at least twice. 100,000 miles and still running strong, as well as not using a drop of oil between changes every 5K miles. Only weak point is for all the rangers of this era, rubber tube connecting gas tank with filler fails and it's $300 at Ford. When I get to it, I'll have a muffler shop fabricate a steel replacement and connect with simple, straight, gas hose."

Abused and still running strong!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Taken a lot of abuse and ready for more!"

Cons: "No cup holders, Regular cab is small."

"I bought this used in '97. Has seen 3 kids thru high school plus my overweighted and hard driving styles. Put on helper springs to aid with weights of things carried, otherwise still stock. Have only done expected repairs for milage and often well past regular intervals. Still has original clutch! Never been aligned even with our limestone roads, still doesn't need it. Great little truck. Only thing I would change would be to have gotten an extened cab. All else is great!"

Gas Saver

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Great gas milage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Rear shackles"

"I own the 97 ranger 2.3L and love this little truck. It gets great gas milage for an extended cab pick up, and has never let me down."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Ranger Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals