1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

8.3

Based on 633 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Better MPG than original window sticker.

By on Sunday, October 07, 2012

Pros: "MPG, utility, maintenance costs"

Cons: "low seat position"

"No frills were originally installed on this truck - no A/C, no power windows/doors/seats and no cruise control. The seats are built lower than they should be but overall the truck is very comfortable. New tranny & clutch @ 285,000 miles. I *average* 25mpg & can get up to 30mpg highway. Very few rust spots despite 15 years living near salt air."

Great Truck

By on Sunday, May 18, 2008

"I bought my 96 Ranger in April 2008. The truck had 326,700 miles on it. I had to replace the timing belt, belt tensioner, and brakes, but the truck is worth it. I am getting 24 mpg city with this truck and I have no qualms about driving it anywhere. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone. One suggestion I would make though is getting an extended cab though, not much room in the standard cab if you are over 6'. I have owned S-10 pickups and they do not come close to the quality of the Ranger, I am converted to the Ford now. Thanks Ford for making a great little truck."

Great reliable truck..

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, 8 foot bed, low-cost maintenance, rel"

Cons: "poor cup holders, lack of room (small cab)"

"I've owned this since new and it has been a super light duty truck. I've had no major problems with this vehicle except normal maintenance you would do on a routine basis anyway. In 188k miles I've replaced the timing belt twice, the water pump, the thermostat,and the clutch once! The 2.3 five speed is adequate, however when the AC is on , the engine lacks power. I also tow a small trailer from time to time and it pulls fine. Overall I really love this truck and would buy another one any day of the week."

Very reliable.

By on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage."

Cons: "Driving in snow. Passenger room in back of cab."

"Great little truck. Bought it with 237k 2 years ago and is still running great. Just normal maintenance ( clutch @ 251k, brakes, and oil changes). Great gas mileage (20-25mpg). Not the greatest to drive in snow. Its really light in the rear end but you just have to use common sense driving in the winter. Extended cab is nice. I'll never have another truck without one. Sucks to be the third or fourth passenger though. Tight spot back there."

1997 ford ranger.

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Great for small jobs, good mpg"

Cons: "maintance a must . Needs more storage in cab."

"I love my truck! It was my fathers before me. He loved it and put a lot of hard miles on "Besty" . She needs a transmission job and basic maintenance , after over 250,000 miles . L.O.L. The odometer and gas gages stopped working in 2009 at 253,000 miles. A lot of a lot of tender miles ago. I will get her to a car Doctor . fix her up and keep her . I just wanted to say... Thank you Daddy !"

Best overall unit I have ever owned

By on Thursday, February 07, 2008

"Bought used about 6 years ago with 60K miles on it It now has over 214,000 miles on it. 4.0 V6 very strong but I have to really massage it to get over 20mpg. I change oil and filter every 5000 miles and usually do not have to add between oil changes. AT has slipped between the 2nd & 3rd gear shift ever since I've had the truck. I've tried a little tighter band adjustments in addition to additives after each 30k mile oil change to no avail. Once the shift has been made it holds so I've just learned to live with it. Mechanically very tough & reliable and the body shows very little rust even with all the salt the city, county and state use. Finally had to replace ball joints just recently. Had problems with power lock switches, door lock sensors, and htr/AC fan switch. I feel this was a supplier problem for Ford. The blend air door broke on the htr/AC and would have cost over $400 dollars to replace it because I would have had to buy the complete airbox form Ford , Instead I installed a mechanical water valve in the heater water hose ($10) Carrier bearing going out for 3rd time but don't know why. Hardly ever drive thru water except in town but only 4-6 inches deep. Except for the electrical problems mentioned earlier, these units are by far one of the toughest vehicles I've ever seen and I feel an outstanding value; and I consider myself a GM lover."

Amzing

By on Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pros: "Reliabilty, Mpg, Comfort"

Cons: "Not alot of room in the extended cab"

"330K and still kicking. I must say around 210-220K miles I didn't wanna go on any long trips because that's when most cars kick it, but after 240k I wasn't worried anymore. It has a brand new Mazda 5 speed trans and I rebuilt the rear end. Doesn't burn oil or anything like that. My average mpg is 23, with a 3.0L V6"

Great vehicle with the 4.0 liter engine

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

"SO glad I bought the extended cab. It makes it so much more comfortable and useful. 4 liter engine turns slower at highway speeds than the 3 liter, so even though it was more expensive, I think it gets about the same mileage, 18 around town, better/unknown on highway. 4.0 also included 4 wheel ABS that I think saved me from an accident at least twice. 100,000 miles and still running strong, as well as not using a drop of oil between changes every 5K miles. Only weak point is for all the rangers of this era, rubber tube connecting gas tank with filler fails and it's $300 at Ford. When I get to it, I'll have a muffler shop fabricate a steel replacement and connect with simple, straight, gas hose."

Abused and still running strong!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Taken a lot of abuse and ready for more!"

Cons: "No cup holders, Regular cab is small."

"I bought this used in '97. Has seen 3 kids thru high school plus my overweighted and hard driving styles. Put on helper springs to aid with weights of things carried, otherwise still stock. Have only done expected repairs for milage and often well past regular intervals. Still has original clutch! Never been aligned even with our limestone roads, still doesn't need it. Great little truck. Only thing I would change would be to have gotten an extened cab. All else is great!"

Gas Saver

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Great gas milage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Rear shackles"

"I own the 97 ranger 2.3L and love this little truck. It gets great gas milage for an extended cab pick up, and has never let me down."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Ranger Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals