1997 Ford Mustang

Based on 1898 Ratings for the 1994 - 2004 models.

Very enjoyable and reliable car, but no Cadillac

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Reason: College tuition

Pros: "Bulletproof powertrain, great value"

Cons: "Useless backseat, expensive to modify"

"I used this car (GT model) as a daily driver and occasional weekend drag racer. After five years of owning the car, I sold it to help cover college tuition. I purchased it for 7,000 in 2007 and sold it for 6,900 in 2012 after putting about 8,000 in modifications and regular maintenance into it (so I had about 15 grand into the car in total). It was a very reliable car, but there are a few common problems with these cars. 1999-2001 Mustang GT's have plastic coolant crossover tubes integrated into the intake manifold, which eventually melt/crack and leak coolant. A new manifold with a metal crossover tube is around $250. This was fixed in the 2002-2004 model years. On higher mileage cars, the door hinge can wear unevenly and make a "popping" noise when you close the door. The door still closes fine, but the "popping" noise is obnoxious. A new hinge is around $70. The front seatbelts retract slowly after extended use. Before I replaced mine, I had to manually feed it back, which was also obnoxious. A new seatbelt assembly is around $300. The front foglights (if equipped) can crack and leak water, which ruins the bulbs. A new set is around $80. The headlights also can fog up fairly easily, but I never had any leaking issues with them. If you live in an area where it snows, the exterior sheet metal may be rust-free, but the underside might not be. Check the underside of the car near the rear axle for rust. Also, open the doors and look on the bottom of the doors for rust. If you're buying a car from an area where it doesn't, you're lucky and won't have to worry about rust. If you plan on modifying the car, you will lose every cent that you put into it. Unfortunately, there are enough of these cars out there with enough people that could care less if the car is modified or not. If you are modifying it and it's a daily driver, be smart with the modifications. I lowered my car 2" and ruined my exhaust and rear tires because of it. I had a set of long tube headers on the car and scraped. I dented my $700 headers and developed a loud exhaust leak from a damaged exhaust manifold gasket. (You have to lift the engine or drop the front k-member to replace the exhaust gasket). I also installed rear wheel spacers, so my rear tires rubbed the fenderwell and tore up my tires. Obviously, all of this was preventable, but just a fair warning. Regardless of everything I said, I absolutely loved the car. I consistently ran high 13's in the quarter mile and the car handled reasonably well. It's no Cadillac so it is a little loud in the interior and the back seat is more decoration than anything functional. People complain about it being terrible in the snow, but with weight in the back and good snow tires it is very doable. The parking brake is also weak on these cars so don't expect to be able to lock the rear wheels for drifting in the snow. (You'll have to break them loose with the throttle.) Overall, this is a great looking, fun to drive, reliable, and good performance car for the money. The GT sounds great, and the powertrain handles pedal to the medal abuse like a champ, not to mention it's an American icon."

My first and only car ever drove

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "cool, comfortable, affordable, easy to work on,"

Cons: "RWD is bad news for driving in snow"

"Bought the car 8 years ago with 92k and boy did I underestimate my $5000 investment. So easy to drive and fix, I feel like ford accidentally made this car more reliable than they intended it to be. I driven across the country and through many winters and it has never let me down (other than RWD is lousy in snow). My love for this car is unbreakable. I would never sell this car because I don't think I will ever find a more reliable comfortable ride. Can't emphasize enough how great it has been to me."

Most Bang For The Buck

By on Sunday, November 15, 2009

"I bought a stock laser tint red Mustang GT convertible (with black leather interior) ten months ago with 40K miles. I've always preferred the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6, but every time I test drove a decent GM pony the check engine light would turn on during the test drive. I had read and researched that the 99-04 Mustang's had high reliability ratings, so I decided to give the Mustang a try. 10K miles and 10 months later my Mustang is still running strong with no mechanical problems. Reliability is one of this car's strengths. The 4.6 liter V8 engine pushes 260 horsepower. The car moves effortlessly when floored with a great exhaust note. While it has a healthy amount of power, by no means can it match the raw power of a Z28 Camaro or WS6 Trans Am. But reliability was the name of the game for me. The automatic transmission shifts smoothly and the car corners with ease. The convertible top is well insulated and very easy to use. It takes about 10 seconds (can be done on a freshly turned red light) to put the top up or down and does not require getting out of the car. Simply pull the two levers above the windshield and hit the power convertible button to raise or lower. Also, the rear window on the convertible top is made of glass so it won't start turning yellow or crack. The car is a lot of fun to drive with the top down. I have driven the pony with the top down on an 800 mile round trip with absolutely no complaints. The interior design is simple, but lives up to the muscle car utilitarian design. The leather seats have held up well with no tears or discoloration. Don't expect to fit any adults in the back seat. My only complaint about the car is the driver seating position. I am only 5 foot 9 and have the driver seat all the way back to sit a comfortable distance from the steering wheel. As one review I have read put it, it feels like you are sitting "on" the car instead of "in" the car. The air conditioning is ice cold even in the 100+ degree temperature of Arizona. The mach stereo is very loud. The 6 compact disc changer is also nice, but not very reliable. The exteriors sleek design, hood scoop, side scoops, big spoiler, dual chrome tip exhaust, and black ragtop is exactly what I wanted. If you are looking for the typical muscle car exhaust growl, you will need to install some Flomasters or Magnaflows. I would also recommend a manual transmission if you are debating on auto or manual. Overall owner satisfaction is priceless. After almost one year of driving around, it still feels like I just bought my Mustang GT yesterday!"

Wonderful Car

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "road handling, gas mileage,"

Cons: "Ford is notorious for strut problems, wears tires"

"I've had wonderful luck with my Mustang, at 125000 i changed the timing chains and water pump cheaper at the time to put in a new pump. It handles wonderful on the road couldn't ask for more. Other than tires and oil i had to put in 2 spark plug coils and of course spark plugs. I just put in new shocks all around at 200,000. I get 20 mpg which is wonderful. Have a leak in my soft top someplace."

Mustang99

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

"I just got the car 2 months ago for my 15 birthday and it is fast reliable and everything works great only 79000 thousand mile got it for 2000 dollars good deal"

Most fun sports car i have owned!

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pros: "reliable, great price, fast"

Cons: "need more room-over 6 feet tall"

Nice and clean!

"I have definitely gotten my moneys worth out of this car. I bought it with 74000 miles in 2012 and have had only one slight problem, and that was the flasher went out, cheap fast fix. No other problems, and with the GT its pretty fast being stock. I have added a K&N cold air intake kit, and you can feel the difference with just adding that! Pretty inexpensive to maintain, as well as filling up at the pump!"

Nice and clean!

A good, safe, and sporty car.

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive)"

Cons: "seatbelts are a pian."

"I love the looks of the interior and the exterior. The drive is smooth and still handles like a well tuned super car. The 3.8 has get-up-and-go."

best ive ever had!

By on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Pros: "great power! really fun to drive"

Cons: "none!"

the best car ive had!:)

"just got this car about 3 months ago and i love it! i couldnt have had anything better. great hp and torque! i would really consider this car to someone"

the best car ive had!:)

outlasted my friends chevy cars and still going

By on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pros: "low maintenance"

Cons: "rusts easily"

"bad in snow if you dont weigh it down by putting cat litter in the trunk. better on gas than most sports cars. i have never had to have any work done to it other than regular maintence"

Favorite car I've owned and I've owned too many!

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and fairly economical for a V8"

Cons: "Not comfortable for the passenger on long rides"

California Dreamin'

"Bought it used six years ago. Usually keep a car 2-3 years but this one has been fun to drive and fairly economical to own and operate. Everything still works as new except the CD changer, pretty good for a convertible that spent three years sitting in the snow of the midwest but now is glad to be back home on Southern California. Even the L.A. traffic is almost welcome!!"

California Dreamin'

Great High proformance vehicle

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"This vehicle is an awesome sports car. Being a chevy-man all my life i never expected a ford to be so fast and strong. This car rivals the Camaro with a vengance and it can probably match up to the base Corrvette. Has lots of aftermarket support for the V8 or V6 and engine setup is verry easy to go with. This vehicle dosen't do too well in snow. But what can you expect with an rear wheel drive car with posi-trac. If you drive your family around don't buy this car. It is too small, it may fit 4 but with 2 it can be cramped.Its trunk looks big but i is hard to fit things in. If you buy the convertable be ready for some leakage through the seals on the passanger side. the convertable seals wern't done too well. Living in the mid west where it snows like a mug out here it barely rusts but be ready for rust on the shocks and springs that is a verry common place with all cars that you have to be careful with. the gas struts on this car are verry good but they arn't perfect oil them up every 3 months or it will get hard to open after a year or so. The automatic has a little too much lackluster feel to it i recomend the manual but if your looking for a cruzing dayly driver the automatic is great. Have fun drivinng this car this is the last good ford car out there."

A true Mustang that is bullet proof

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "handling and economy"

Cons: "none really"

"This car has been a joy to own and drive. Bought an 08 two years ago. Rides better but doesn't handle like the 04, sound as good or feel like a true sports car.I hope the next owner loves it as we do."

Love my V-6

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Relatively Cheep, Fun to drive, Comfortable for 2."

Cons: "Back seats no big enough, No power in winter."

"My V-6 has 90K+ on it and its gets me from a to b. I love the look of the car. Interior needed some more refinement. For the price you can't beat it. If you are looking for a daily driver that is sporty and gets good gas milage, this is your car. I put an intake on it and it gets about 26 miles per gallon as long as you keep your foot out of it. There is no shortage of aftermarket parts. You can have any of the models upgraded to compete with the new ones for about a quarter of the price. I deleted my back seat because you can't fit an adult in the back."

best car ever!

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "most amazing car i have ever owned!"

Cons: "not one"

"I should be on a ford commercial!i bought my mustang new in 2000 (my first new car) I normaly bought program cars and traded them in every 2-4 years. my mustang is now 14 years old and I really don't want to sell it, but my kids now live hours away and I fell in love with the ford fusion hybrid and love the gas mileage!i don't have room for 2 vehicals. I get compliments all the time on my bahama blue mustang nonstop and will cry when we depart:("

My Very First Car! (No regrets)

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Very Reliable to drive, Great looks..."

Cons: "Both Cig lighter/chargers dont work, fuses r OK :("

Taken back in 2012...

"I bought my Mustang brand new back in 2002. I still own and drive often. I can't believe I had been driving my Mustang for almost 12 YEARS and counting... Maintenance was done through the dealer from 2002-2005... Then I did my own oil change ever since using Full Synthetic with intervals of 4K-7K miles. For the 12 years, I only had a few problems. First was the EGR Sensor that dealer replaced... The alternator gave out around 60K... Replaced fuel filter, air filter which are all wear and tear. I had to get new rear differential but it was my fault due to excessive burn/peel outs and very aggressive driving. Been on 3 accidents but still clean title and running strong... And gas mileage now can be better but maybe because of the 17x10.5 deep dish wheels on 275 tires and 17x9 front rims on 245 tires. but if I had the stock 16 wheels then maybe gas mph would not be that bad... I still can't figure why my cigarette lighter do not work any more and even the one inside the center console/box."

Taken back in 2012...

Always there for me

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "price, fun to drive, classic cool looks"

"Never had to do anything but standard maintenance. Most reliable car I ever owned. Always starts, always gets me there, fun to drive, efficient fuel mileage. Original brakes even lasted 119,000 miles. Bought it new in Jan 1999 and it's the best car I ever had."

This car has been one of the best I've owned.

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive. No repairs until later in its life."

Cons: "Stiff ride. Not the best for winter driving."

"Few repairs up until over the last four years. The major repairs were the front suspension, new head gaskets and rear axle. The rear axle was more my doing. The car is light in the rear and being that it's a rear wheel drive, I got tired of planning my routes in the winter so I had a limited slip differential installed. Started to have noticeable rust show up about the same time as repairs but can't complain. Minnesota uses a lot of salt on the roads in the winter. Oil consumption is still less than a half a quart of oil between changes. Gas mileage on the hwy averages 27 mpg and a few times have squeaked out 32. I'm now aiming for 400000 miles."

2000 Mustang GT-COOL CAR

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "Handles the road, feels great."

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"I own this car. (I'm a girl) Purchased it in 2006 with 17,000 miles, now it's Feb 2013 & it has only 69,000 miles on it. Fast car, with a 4.6L Engine...the mileage is low, don't drive it so often. Handles curves and the road like a glove. Gas mileage is maybe 15 City...but then again I didn't buy it to get great gas mileage."

Solid Car

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, priced right"

Cons: "Small back seat, not so good in weather"

"Bought this car with 20K on it as my first car. The V6 does not have a lot of power, but very reliable. No major issues but ball joints at 120K. Only real issues are the very small back seat, and the fact that it wont go anywhere in snow, thanks to the traction control."

Best Vehicle I ever had.

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "great price and not a gas hog"

Cons: "n/a"

"This has been the best car and Ford I have ever driven. She is my baby. Looking forward to her 20th birthday in a few years. She will then be antique. My mustang has excellent gas mileage. I don't know what I would do without her."

great car to drive everyday!

By on Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pros: "Sporty, comfortable, reliable"

Cons: "no room for kids"

"I have owned 3 mustangs, 2 from this body style. I really like this car and hope I can find another one with lower miles so I can enjoy it for a few more years. You can also modify this car to get more power easily and fairly inexpensively. sean"

Steady Performer

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"Bought this car new for my daughter when she was in high school with the intent that it would last her through collage. It did without any repairs....NONE. All I ever did to it was the recommended maintenance . Not the quietest or smoothest ride but when you're in your teens and early 20's who cares. Would highly recommend this car."

Reliable, looks good, easy and cheap to maintain

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Reason: Had to leave the ountry

Pros: "Great Value, Fun to drive, Extremely reliable"

Cons: "Interior always felt a little cheap"

"I bought my 1998 Ford Mustang in 2002 and drove it until 2010. It served me well through high school and college. I did maintain this car very well. It never gave me any major issues and anytime I had to make an unscheduled repair it wasn't too expensive. This car never left me stranded at anytime. I left the country due to military service in 2010 and kept the car at my parent's house. The car did break down right before I left in 2010 right before I left. We suspected the fuel pump was the issue. We replaced the fuel pump today because I'm selling it to my little brother. As soon as we replaced the pump it started first try. After three years of sitting it's running great. This has been the best car for the value I've ever owned."

Bought it for my 60th birthday

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "just love my car"

Cons: "too low for my aged body"

"I am thinking of selling this car because of issues getting in and out for me at the age of 74 and husband at the age of 79. What is it worth. I really did just turn 31000 miles on it on March 19, 2014. It is a red convertible in excellent condition."

Very Reliable Vehicle Overall!

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, Fun to drive, Decent MPG"

Cons: "Not a car for driving in the Snow!"

2000 Ford Mustang V-6 5 speed 163k Runs Great!

"We are the 3rd owner of car. It's a 3.8 V6 5 speed manual trans. Original Owner drove it to 143k when Clutch needed replaced & Exaust manifolds cracked. Mechanic friend bought it from owner Put in new clutch. And installed a Posi Track rear pinion. He drove it really hard for the 2k he owned it. As a matter of fact. I was leary of buyin it when he took me for the test drive lol. He was at a stop in the road put her in first and floored engine. The rev limiter kicked in at around 4000 RPM He Dumped the clutch and she burned the tires pretty darn good. He just KEPT it floored when he shifted, He got a 2nd and 3rd gear scratch from the tires OMG Had no idea the little Ford Mustang 3.8 V-6 could do that especially at 153K. So next day i gave him 2 Grand for the Mustang Knowing it needed 2 Exaust manifolds and new Tires. So i put another 16 hundred into the Stang. She has been an Awesome reliable car No Problems besides needing a new battery. Gets 18-20 mpg in town and 25 on the highway. And is very fun to drive!"

2000 Ford Mustang V-6 5 speed 163k Runs Great!