1994 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews

My first and only car ever drove

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "cool, comfortable, affordable, easy to work on,"

Cons: "RWD is bad news for driving in snow"

"Bought the car 8 years ago with 92k and boy did I underestimate my $5000 investment. So easy to drive and fix, I feel like ford accidentally made this car more reliable than they intended it to be. I driven across the country and through many winters and it has never let me down (other than RWD is lousy in snow). My love for this car is unbreakable. I would never sell this car because I don't think I will ever find a more reliable comfortable ride. Can't emphasize enough how great it has been to me."

Very enjoyable and reliable car, but no Cadillac

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Reason: College tuition

Pros: "Bulletproof powertrain, great value"

Cons: "Useless backseat, expensive to modify"

"I used this car (GT model) as a daily driver and occasional weekend drag racer. After five years of owning the car, I sold it to help cover college tuition. I purchased it for 7,000 in 2007 and sold it for 6,900 in 2012 after putting about 8,000 in modifications and regular maintenance into it (so I had about 15 grand into the car in total). It was a very reliable car, but there are a few common problems with these cars. 1999-2001 Mustang GT's have plastic coolant crossover tubes integrated into the intake manifold, which eventually melt/crack and leak coolant. A new manifold with a metal crossover tube is around $250. This was fixed in the 2002-2004 model years. On higher mileage cars, the door hinge can wear unevenly and make a "popping" noise when you close the door. The door still closes fine, but the "popping" noise is obnoxious. A new hinge is around $70. The front seatbelts retract slowly after extended use. Before I replaced mine, I had to manually feed it back, which was also obnoxious. A new seatbelt assembly is around $300. The front foglights (if equipped) can crack and leak water, which ruins the bulbs. A new set is around $80. The headlights also can fog up fairly easily, but I never had any leaking issues with them. If you live in an area where it snows, the exterior sheet metal may be rust-free, but the underside might not be. Check the underside of the car near the rear axle for rust. Also, open the doors and look on the bottom of the doors for rust. If you're buying a car from an area where it doesn't, you're lucky and won't have to worry about rust. If you plan on modifying the car, you will lose every cent that you put into it. Unfortunately, there are enough of these cars out there with enough people that could care less if the car is modified or not. If you are modifying it and it's a daily driver, be smart with the modifications. I lowered my car 2" and ruined my exhaust and rear tires because of it. I had a set of long tube headers on the car and scraped. I dented my $700 headers and developed a loud exhaust leak from a damaged exhaust manifold gasket. (You have to lift the engine or drop the front k-member to replace the exhaust gasket). I also installed rear wheel spacers, so my rear tires rubbed the fenderwell and tore up my tires. Obviously, all of this was preventable, but just a fair warning. Regardless of everything I said, I absolutely loved the car. I consistently ran high 13's in the quarter mile and the car handled reasonably well. It's no Cadillac so it is a little loud in the interior and the back seat is more decoration than anything functional. People complain about it being terrible in the snow, but with weight in the back and good snow tires it is very doable. The parking brake is also weak on these cars so don't expect to be able to lock the rear wheels for drifting in the snow. (You'll have to break them loose with the throttle.) Overall, this is a great looking, fun to drive, reliable, and good performance car for the money. The GT sounds great, and the powertrain handles pedal to the medal abuse like a champ, not to mention it's an American icon."

Most Bang For The Buck

By on Sunday, November 15, 2009

"I bought a stock laser tint red Mustang GT convertible (with black leather interior) ten months ago with 40K miles. I've always preferred the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6, but every time I test drove a decent GM pony the check engine light would turn on during the test drive. I had read and researched that the 99-04 Mustang's had high reliability ratings, so I decided to give the Mustang a try. 10K miles and 10 months later my Mustang is still running strong with no mechanical problems. Reliability is one of this car's strengths. The 4.6 liter V8 engine pushes 260 horsepower. The car moves effortlessly when floored with a great exhaust note. While it has a healthy amount of power, by no means can it match the raw power of a Z28 Camaro or WS6 Trans Am. But reliability was the name of the game for me. The automatic transmission shifts smoothly and the car corners with ease. The convertible top is well insulated and very easy to use. It takes about 10 seconds (can be done on a freshly turned red light) to put the top up or down and does not require getting out of the car. Simply pull the two levers above the windshield and hit the power convertible button to raise or lower. Also, the rear window on the convertible top is made of glass so it won't start turning yellow or crack. The car is a lot of fun to drive with the top down. I have driven the pony with the top down on an 800 mile round trip with absolutely no complaints. The interior design is simple, but lives up to the muscle car utilitarian design. The leather seats have held up well with no tears or discoloration. Don't expect to fit any adults in the back seat. My only complaint about the car is the driver seating position. I am only 5 foot 9 and have the driver seat all the way back to sit a comfortable distance from the steering wheel. As one review I have read put it, it feels like you are sitting "on" the car instead of "in" the car. The air conditioning is ice cold even in the 100+ degree temperature of Arizona. The mach stereo is very loud. The 6 compact disc changer is also nice, but not very reliable. The exteriors sleek design, hood scoop, side scoops, big spoiler, dual chrome tip exhaust, and black ragtop is exactly what I wanted. If you are looking for the typical muscle car exhaust growl, you will need to install some Flomasters or Magnaflows. I would also recommend a manual transmission if you are debating on auto or manual. Overall owner satisfaction is priceless. After almost one year of driving around, it still feels like I just bought my Mustang GT yesterday!"

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted