2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,215 - $18,744.

10/7.0

7.3

Based on 353 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.4/10
    7.4/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

Can't wait to trade

By on Sunday, December 21, 2014

Pros: "nice color"

Cons: "mileage, design,performance"

"Poor interior design, cupholders are in the way of controls and shifting, folding down the back seats is a chore, chrome dash vent trim reflects in the side windows and looks like there's a car next to you when there's not. The automatic shifting leaves a lot to be desired, I could shift better on my manual when I was just learning to drive, it's very rough and jerky. Mileage estimate was deceptive, it's supposed to get 27 city 37 hwy, avg 31. I'm averaging 27.5 and most of my driving is highway."

WOW, JUST WOW

By on Sunday, December 21, 2014

Pros: "Price - Features - Styling - Economy - FUN!"

Cons: "Learinig curve to master systems"

"Ford has a winner with this one. Some have had issues, but mine is a CHAMP!"

Love the car but three complaints

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun car, kinda sporty, good materials, decent mpg"

Cons: "Awful transmission in low gears, no backseat room"

"Due to this being the first car I've bought that wasn't a 10+ year old beater car, perhaps I wasn't as thorough before purchasing as I needed to be. I wasn't originally looking at this car but ended up buying it because it handled much nicer than a car like the Chevy Cruze and felt like it was higher quality than the Hyndai Elantra, and the price was right around where I was hoping to get to while feeling like I was getting a good deal. I purchased this used & certified with about 8500k miles on it and have driven about 2500 miles since then. I'm going to go pretty in depth with all my praises and complaints. Everyone has different things that are important to them so it's only fair to address everything. Overall, I do like my car. It looks really nice and is practical for me. I drive about 50 miles a day for work and my boyfriend lives 150 miles away, so improving my gas mileage from my last car was a must. Since I bought the car I've been averaging about 30 mpg which isn't as much as I was hoping for, but that does include a lot of rush hour, stop-and-go traffic. On a straight shot roadtrip at an average of 75 mph I'm up around 34-35 mpg. The interior quality is mostly wonderful. My car came equipped with leather seats and the "appearance package" which has some fun extra features like ambient lighting (which I play with far too often). There are controls on the steering wheel to make changing radio stations and answering phone calls on Bluetooth very easy. The only piece of the interior materials that really aren't top-notch are the radio/speakers (not sure which piece affects the sound more). It sounds good when having the music at a lower volumes, but when I'm alone and want to blast my music it gets very fuzzy - makes it kinda sound like my speakers are blown out. But lower volumes work fine. I also love the storage areas. There's a sunglasses storage compartment in the ceiling (this may be part of the appearance package, I'm not sure), the glove compartment is very deep, and I love the center console. Inside the console is a USB and AUX port for playing music through the radio. At first I thought it was weird to be inside like that, but I actually love it because I can leave the cords plugged in and not have the car look messy at all. I've never had or wanted a hatchback before but it is very convenient. Putting in and taking out boxes, groceries, and suitcases is all so much easier than in a traditional trunk. There are also two 12V plug-ins...this is wonderful! There is one in the front next to the gear shift, and one behind the center console/in front of the middle backseat. Very handy when two people need to charge a phone or when I want an extra thing plugged in like my iPod or GPS. It drives wonderfully - at higher speeds. When I'm driving making the Tacoma to Portland drive at night with little traffic, I absolutely LOVE driving this car. I haven't taken it over 95mph (and I really only took it to that briefly just to test), but it handled that very smoothly, as if I was going much slower. Also, the handling is fantastic - I was originally looking at the Cruze and the Elantra and I hated the way the Cruze handled. The Elantra and the Focus handled very similar. It just feels very sharp and in control in comparison to my old cars and other cars I test drove. But as much as I love my car and no, I do not regret my purchase...I do have three complaints. 1. This one is all over these reviews - because I wasn't looking at the Focus originally, I did very little research and didn't know how bad the transmission was in the automatic. I took this car on a long test drive, but it was at night so aside from when we left the parking lot, I wasn't in low speeds very much...so I had no idea until the next day how jerky this car was. There are times that it shifts quite smoothly, but there are also a lot of times that it feels like something in the engine just went out, because you're just jerking around and putt-putting forward. This is rare, but there have also been times that barely pressing the accelerator lurches me forward, so I leave extra room now when I'm at a stop because rear-ending someone is not part of my plan for the day. My last car was a 2000 Chevy Cavalier and I miss the way that one accelerated...if that says anything ;) Side note - there is a semi-manual option in my automatic (manually choose when to shift gears but no clutch - again, I don't know if this is in all models or if it's because mine had extra options added to it) that I was hoping may help it get from 1st to 2nd to 3rd nicer but I haven't had much luck with that. I don't really understand it and have only attempted it a couple of times but it doesn't seem to make a difference. 2. Leg room in the backseat. Since I was the one driving the car and the salesman sat in the passenger seat, I didn't even realize how pathetically little legroom there is in the back. I used to own a '95 Mercury Tracer and I thought that was bad - this is worse. I am 5'10 and hope I never have to haul anyone larger than an 8-year old in the seat behind me, otherwise I'll be moving my seat up uncomfortable close to the steering wheel. I've driven my coworkers a couple times after buying the car and whoever is in the backseat MUST have the front passenger seat moved forward for them to fit at all (and my coworkers - one is about 5'10, 170lbs, the other is about 5'5, 120 lbs). 3. The middle seat back headrest. This one is just weird to me. For some reason my car didn't have any of the backseat headrests in it when I bought it so the dealership tracked some down and had me come back to get them put in a couple days later...so I had no idea how weird the middle headrest was until then. It kind of folds over the seat so that it is in the middle of your shoulders (VERY uncomfortable) when you sit there so it must be raised each time someone sits. I would just leave it raised so that it wouldn't be a hassle if someone ever used the seat, but it affects the amount of view I have out of the rear window too much. Overall, I would say this is a great car for a young commuter. Because of the transmission quirks, I would only recommend this to someone who drives at higher speeds the majority of the time. If I hold on to this while I start raising a family, I think it would work while the kids are very young although I'm not sure how easily a carseat would fit. It is a good economy car and I think it suits me and my needs for now but I may not hold on to this as long as I had originally planned."

Like a Sports Car (kinda) on an Economy Budget

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel efficient, feature packed"

Cons: "a little tight if you are 6'4" 240"

"To be fair I do not have much experience with driving sports cars, but I have driven many economy type cars over the years. Sub-compacts, compacts, mid-sized cars. All the typical rental fleet. The Focus out classes all of them in comfort, styling, and that intangible "fun-to-drive" feeling. I get up to 40mpgs on the highway and about 28 zipping around town. This car gets up and goes to. 160hp might not sound like much but for a tiny little car I feel like I am driving a sport coupe. The only cons is that it is a little tight for a large guy like myself and it is a little more expensive than some of its closest competitors."

Sporty car with great manual transmission

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "quick, great transmission, flat handling"

Cons: "loud road noise, would like more torque"

"Bought this car as a commuter primarily but also to carry my family of 5 occasionally. Sport model for a nicer interior and rear disc brakes to go along with the 5spd manual for occasional autocross races. Very nice fit/finish but road noise is high and interferes with the bluetooth speakerphone. Driving dynamics are very good with a couple of exceptions - engine has very little torque at low rpm and seems to have a heavy flywheel which makes gearchanges a little weird. On the plus side high end horsepower is good and the transmission is great. In all an enjoyable car with good (34mpg) mileage that can be flexible when you need it to be."