2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,252 - $18,771.

10/7.0

7.3

Based on 324 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.6/10

A very nice car!!

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage,reliability,handling"

Cons: "none that I`ve noticed"

"I`ve owned my 2012 Focus SEL for 18 months now,and have been very happy with this car.It`s comfortable,reliable,and gets fantastic gas mileage.It`s a fun car to drive,handles great,and rides quietly for a small car. The interior has a quality feel to it. I`ve put 10,000 miles on my Focus,and have not had an issue of any kind. It`s been a joy to own"

TRANSMISSION/CLUTCH NIGHTMARE!!

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "Mileage"

Cons: "Transmission/clutch-jerks, stalls"

"I bought this car new from the dealership. I took it back for the transmission/clutch problem-they did a "software" update that DID NOT fix the problem. The problem is worse, it stalls when taking off, jerks shifting into gear, makes clunking noises and grinding noises when turning."

Spirited Hatch

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Fast"

Cons: "fuel economy"

"Car is extremely fun to drive, Recaro seats are amazing. Fuel economy is mediocre as 25mpg is about the max combined economy while highway edges up toward 30, what else is to be expected from a turbocharged 250+ horsepower 5-door hatchback. Overall I am pleased with performance and handling characteristics I am left wanting a little more from the economy, but, again that's not what this little hot hatch is about."

Enjoy driving my Focus as much as my 1994 Mustang

By on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Pros: "Very pleased in all areas"

Cons: "No light in the glove box"

"Originally bought this vehicle for a to and from work car,drive it everywhere now. I'm 6'4" and 255 lbs.and I have plenty of room. My wife and I have taken two cross country trips and was very comfortable. The fuel mileage is great, at 68,000 miles still averaging over 40 mpg on a consistent basis. The hatchback styling is very sporty to the point people have been surprised it was a Ford Focus. Having a light suspension doesn't affect the smooth ride at all. To sum it up...best compact car I've owned in my 59 years."

Excellent vehicle, It's a Ford

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

"I love my Ford Focus, I think the trade in value you can up with is insulting. Less than $10,000.00"

Great vehicle, Compact and good for city

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "Silky smooth trans, direct steering, sporty ride"

Cons: "Bad turning radius, had sync problems"

"Overall great car. I had issues with a wiring harness recall. Sent to dealer and fixed no cost to me. Overall its a fun and peppy car. NOTE: This car only comes with a 6 speed manual! Any review with trans problems from automatics are the base, SE, or Titanium, and yes that is a real problem. My sisters car (focus titanium) had to get a new trans."

worst car I ever bought

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Pros: "nice looking, lots of cargo space in the hatchback"

Cons: "terrible clutch and transmission"

"I had nothing but problems with the car. It would jerk when starting to move. It made a terrible grinding noise when turning. Clutch had to be replaced. Major transmission problems. It had to be replaced in a car with only 10,500 miles. Was going to file under the Lemon Law, but dealer was good and helped me get out of it. Ford is well aware of these problems in the Focus and Fiesta. Check Internet. It is loaded with complaints."

Good Looks but terrible Transmission

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "Good Looks"

Cons: "Transmission, cheap interior"

"The looks of this Vehicle are sharp but the Semi auto transmission is the worst I have ever driven, It chatters, jurks and clanks when changing gears and Ford says this is normal, NOT IN MY BOOK it's not. The interior is good looking but made of cheap plastic that scuffs and damages easily and road noise is bad, even for a compact. Ford really needs to recall this car and replace the transmission with something dependable."

Transmission problems

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "Nice looks and good handling."

Cons: "Really bad Transmission"

"Own it for nine months, in the shop for 45 days and counting. We loved it at the car show, but disappointed with the car overall."

Run Away As Fast As You Can!

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "the sound system still works for now"

Cons: "everything but the sound system"

"I bought this car brand new Nov. 2012 with 35 miles on it. It is now Sep. 2014, this car has been in the shop for transmission issues (still having them), spare tire was defective from factory so I had to have it towed in to have my flat tire replaced which turned into all 4 being replaced because they were wearing wrong at less than 10k miles, blend-door actuator has been replaced once and is still acting up, chrome plating was peeling off the steering wheel and was extremely sharp, and the engine idles very rough. This was my first brand new car, and I was really looking forward to it. I will NEVER buy another new car especially if it is a Ford! First impressions are important and this car has disappointed me in every way possible. I quit taking care of the car because personally it is not worth my time. If I had the money to pay it off I would, then I would drive it straight to the junk yard around the corner from me and pay them to crush it right then and there. This car is junk!"

WORST CAR EVER

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "cute, compact, ok gas mileage"

Cons: "transmission, automatic computer shifting, clutch"

"have had this car for 2 years, the first 12000 miles was fine. smooth driving, no problems. within the last year i have taken it to the dealership 5 times for the same problem. the car is jerking/jolting from 1-2 and 2-3 gear. shakes and has just started making a grinding noise right after takeoff. i have been told by the service center that the car does it because of my driving! i have also been told by the service manager that if i were to get in an accident due to this problem it would not be a severe enough accident to hurt my family, it would probably just total the car ad that i should not worry. in that same meeting i was told ford is aware of the issues with these cars, they just do not know how to fix the problem and because the computers cannot duplicate the problem when they test it for 9 miles... there is nothing they can do to try to fix it. i was also told that because i have had the car for so long that i should know its qwerks and how to drive it to where i can avoid the shaking, jerking and grinding....worst car ever purchased!"

Great Hot Hatch

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, Fuel economy, sporty look"

Cons: "seats are tighter then expected and want all wheel"

"This is my first turbo charged 4 cylinder and it does not disappoint. I had a 2013 mustang and at times it was overwhelming as a daily commuter. I decided to get this car and I have enjoyed it to the fullest. Shifting is easy and plenty of passing power. Good fuel economy and nice handling. The seats take some getting used to and the ride is not the best through the city, but most sports cars ride rough through the city no matter what. On the Highway this car glides easy and if you dont lead foot the gas, you get great mileage. I never have gotten 32 mpg, I got 27 and 28 a few times, but expect 22-25. Overall great car and will probably give to my son as his first car."

good milage but would not purchase again

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "gas milage"

Cons: "6 speed auto transmission very quirky"

"six speed transmission is very noisy and jerky in low speeds,gas milage is great but would not buy this car again,poor resale value."

Not recommeded

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

"I disposed of my 2013 Ford Focus on 9-15-14 at a loss. I experienced all of the transmission issues already mentioned jerking, accelerating, nearly stalling and almost getting struck when entering an intersection and the transmission simply stopped giving forward movement. I was always told it is suppose to run like that. At a 35000 mile oil change I was told a seal between the transmission and engine had failed and oil had leaked from the engine. It was repaired and I was then told about a surprise extended warranty on the part and associated parts from Ford only Ford did not say anything until a week after the repair. All of the shuddering eventually started back up again and on 9-14-14 I noticed a burnt rubber smell from the car. I realized it had always been burning rubber but I always convinced myself it was another vehicle next to mine. Mine was new and it couldn't be mine. I strongly recommend against buying a Ford Focus."

THOUGHT I was getting a great car

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "cute, fun to drive, good mileage, resonable price"

Cons: "numerous mechanical and electrical problems"

"I bought this car just 8 months ago, Cute, fun to drive, good mileage, resonable price and good reviews..,MSRP is 24000 andI got it for 21000.. it currently has 15000 miles and is already in the shop for numerous electronic clitches, transmission problems, etc, etc. Now I check the value (again the car is not even a year old) and obviously it does not retain any value what so ever!! It is only worth $14,000 trade in and $17,000 for a private sell. I still owe $16,000.00. Guess I shouldn't have dropped the GAP insurance. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!! IT IS JUNK!!!"

Great car, great price

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, handling, comfort, powertrain"

Cons: "Rear visibility"

"This sub-$20000 car handles like it should cost twice as much as it does. It hugs the road like no other small car and the DCT transmission is amazing, it's one of my favorite powertrains. Haven't seen any issues other than a couple of computer re flashes to perfect the performance of the transmission, which is to be expected of a newer technology. The only complaint I have with the car is rear visibility. I'm glad the refreshed 2015 model will come standard with a rear view camera."

Lemon?

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "Nice when it works"

Cons: "Totally unreliable."

"The battery on our Ford Focus EV has died repeatedly. This is an incredible inconvenience and for that reason I would steer consumers away from the car. At first, when the battery died at stop lights, we were told we needed a software update, which seemed to fix the problem for a few months. Now, the battery has died again and can't even be charge if we can get the car home. Also, the Sync system fails repeatedly. Loaner cars aren't a substitute because they do not have a car pool lane sticker. I now think the car is a lemon."

I love my car!!

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Most all things"

Cons: "Kinda tight."

"First let me start by saying, I have a manual transmission. All the bad things that have been said about this car, have been for an automatic transmission. I drive pretty crazy and let my RPMs get pretty high and I am still getting 34.6 MPG, and climbing. It take 38 dollars to fill my tank and I get 440 miles until empty. The Sync is amazing! It sticks to the road very well. Great with turns and rain! I would recommend this car to all of my friends and complete strangers."

Nothing but Problems

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Good on Gas"

Cons: "The transmission, wiring harneses, stalls"

"My car is about 2.5 years old and I've owned if for 14 months. The transmision is awful, jerks and is very shakey. I had problems with the air conditioning leaking into the passenger side floor. The dealership told me it was a faulty part that Ford was designing and when it became available they'd call me back in to fix it. Never happened and magically the leaking stopped so I didn't even bother following up with Ford. Now I have electrical problems and the car stalls out when driving. Give the car gas and it just revs like it's in neutral. There's a "hill start assist unavailable" message that pops up and then the car stalls. The car is unsafe and frustrating to deal with. Never buying another Ford again."

Wish I never bought!

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

"I have had several issues with the transmission in this car! I had it fixed 1 month ago and it is leaking fluid again! I brought it to the dealer I bought it from several times and told them there was a problem with the vehicle, and was told there was nothing wrong with it, when I brought it to get an oil change they are the ones who have told me twice the transmission was leaking. No Ford dealer can take it in for one or two weeks because they are so backed up fixing transmissions! Just received a letter from Ford "not a recall" but there have been some issues so they are extending the warranty on the transmission. Does anyone have that much time to drive to the dealer to fix a newer car, and be in convinced to have the dealer take 10 days to fix it? Back interior below rear window has rotted out! Anyone want to fix that at Ford? Not really!"

Wwwwaaaayyyy better gas mileage than expected.

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage. Looks great. Tight steering."

Cons: "Audio display buttons are a little confusing."

"I was very surprised to see the gas mileage of our focus. I think the epa estimated it to be 26 city and 36 on the highway. we are getting more like 35 in the city and just the other day we got 49 mpg on a 6 hour trip to and from Phoenix. The trip before that was 45 or 46.I don't know how accurate the mpg estimator is on the car but I think the epa must have had a lead foot when they tested this one."

power + grip + rally design + good MPG = awesome

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "power, grip, rally car design, good MPG"

Cons: "price, options prices, SYNC"

"This is my daily commute car and I love it. I have been wanting a car this powerfull for many years now but could not aford it until now. I love the power that it brings when you put it to the test and the grip in curves. Being a rally race car fan myself, I love the way it looks and drives. It feels like I am in a race... yeah, I do step on it every time I drive it. Gas milage is good too. The car itself is a little pricy in my area, it would be great if the options were not so expensive. My only concern would be SYNC. It works great when it actually works, it just needs some tweeking that is all. Overall it meets expectations, but does not exceed expectations."

Great sporty car for a small family! ST2 package

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

"Bought this car back in the beginning of February, 2014 and absolutely love it! I did have an issue with the steering from day one, however. It had that twitchy/loose off center issue and it would overcorrect constantly. Quick trip to the dealership and they ordered a new steering rack and swapped it out, no more problems (all completed under warranty). I drive about 30 miles round trip for work and I average around 26-27mpg, even getting onto it a couple times everyday. The car isn't what I would call fast, but it is snappy and very quick in stock form, even more so when you add a tune to it! It handles like no other FWD car out there. It's a bizarre feeling to through this car into a corner and you can feel the back end kicking out as though it is a RWD car. All of which is very welcome when you're pushing it through mountain roads. I have two children, four and five years old, and they fit just fine in the car. We actually took the car on vacation earlier this year to Florida. Packed the hatch up, got a soft roof top cargo carrier and everything fit with some room to spare. We averaged 29mpg on the trip down and back, not too shabby with a loaded car and four people! The seats were fairly comfortable, thought after being in the car for six hours, we were a bit stiff. Overall this has been an excellent car, one of the best bang-for-your-buck vehicles out there IMHO. Unfortunately for the car, my wife just found out she is pregnant with our third, so this car just won't work anymore. I might have too look into the SHO, I'm hooked on these EcoBoost motors!"

Nice car, well equipped. Nice styling.

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

Pros: "Styling, Ride, Handling, fit and finish."

Cons: "Rear leg room, no rear floor mats."

"Leased this car to replace a leased 2012 Fusion SEL. OK this is less car than the Fusion which was one of the best cars I've ever had. The ride is a little more harsh, which was to be expected in a smaller lighter vehicle. But it is much better than the 2009 Honda Civic I traded last year for an Escape. The Civic was rough riding and very road noisy, This car handles nicely. Very sporty and not a lot of road noise. Only real complaints I have are the lack rear carpeted foor mats and the craftmanship of the leather seats was mediocre. All seat backs and cushions had varying degrees of wrinkles. I got the SE appearance package and the Winter package as I live in Michigan. Equipped with just those 2 packages I believe is the best value. I read all the complaints about Sync and MY FORD TOUCH. I haven't experienced those problems in either of my 2 Fords. Like all things electronic, reading the manuals and a little patience goes a long way."

No problem excellent car always garaged .

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive good milage ."

Cons: "Too small for our problem"

"My reason for selling or trading is I have a medical reason .I like this car it has plenty of pep ,safe and economical. What we need is Ford Edge or Free star or something in 2010 that age group ."