2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,149 - $16,677.

10/7.0

7.3

Based on 435 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
    7.3/10
    7.6/10
    7.6/10

Good Value

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good mileage, nice interior for the class"

Cons: "Transmission requires some acclimation"

"My vehicle is 6 months old now. Mileage has averaged 30 mpg with a high proportion of short distance, cold engine drives, and my average speed on the highway is 77 (you get better mileage at 60-65, but it's no slouch at the higher speeds). Highway mileage is usually around 34-35 mpg. For the class of vehicle, the interior is actually quite well made and seems solid; an order of magnitude better than the 2011 model, which just feels cheap. Seats are comfortable and upgraded stereo system is nice. The biggest complaints you hear are about the transmission, an "automatic/manual" hybrid. If you have never driven a manual, it will take some getting used to and you may not like it. If you have, then you will be comfortable with it and not bothered by the "quirks." for example, it does not accelerate or shift gears as smoothly or quickly as an automatic. I think Ford would have been well served to provide a true automatic transmission option for those who have never driven anything else, but I drove a manual for years and have no problem with it."

Great MPG. Transmission is not perfect, yet.

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "See review."

Cons: "See review."

"Pros: MPG (>42 driving from LA to SD at 65-70). Driving feels very solid, city or mountains. It handles turns, mountains very well/smooth, better than I thought. A lot of power going up hill (160hp). Its hilly-drive function button on the autoshift handle is quite easy and neat feature that I find very helpful when you go frequent from up to down and to up hills. Drive CA hwy-1 from Santa Babara to SF, the average MPG is ~37, including all the hilly area. Ex. and Int. design is a great improvement over the previous models. Very quite in regular city/hwy drive. You do hear the engine sound significantly when you step hard on the gas, e.g. going uphill. I really love it in-and-out. The build quality is pretty solid for the price. Cons: Transmission is not exactly perfect, yet. Mine is pretty good. Does not have any problem at all on flat or going downhill. However, when it goes steep uphill, it does take a bit harder on gas to get a smooth start. This is the only place I would take any point out of this beautiful little amazing car. Hope Ford can get this sorted out with a new firmware update."

Ford ST Review

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Power, performance, quality of materials FUN"

Cons: "Turning radius is a bit wide"

"This is not a Ford Focus review, it is for the ST, an entirely different vehicle, different engine, suspension, you really can't include the ratings with regular Focus ratings. The ST is, in short, an amazing little car. I have owned two BMW M3s, an Audi TT, an Audi S4 and a Porsche 911. So my standards are pretty high. This car is amazingly fast and torquey no lag, incredible throttle response, handles like it's on rails, smooth shifting. For the money, incredible performance, quality of materials and the fun factor is off the charts. My only complaint which is pretty minor is that it has a fairly big turning radius, something to be aware of when you're trying to do a tight turn in a parking lot. It's not a car for someone who doesn't understand how to drive a fast car or doesn't like a stick, but if you love a sporty car that makes you laugh out loud when you run into a twisty road, this is your ride!"

Great car, but a few major issues.

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Reason: Moved back to area where I needed 4 wheel drive, had some issues with Focus.

Pros: "A lot for the price, luxurious interior for Ford"

Cons: "Clutch issues ruin everything else"

"Ford did a great job with the redesign of the Focus in 2012. The car comes with options of a ton of great technology that other competitors at the price do not offer and driving the car is pure fun. Not to mention, it gets great gas mileage. I was always shocked at how good my mpgs were! However, because this engine was redesigned in 2012, the clutch is plagued with issues. I even had it replaced under warranty (with the same clutch by Ford) and it did nothing to fix the grinding noises and junting that happens when the car switches gears (I drive an automatic). It makes you think something is wrong with the car even though Ford claims it is not. Something is wrong. It also vibrates when idling and Ford claims there is no fix for these issues. All the little things about this car are great, but Ford messed up with the design of this engine. I finally gave in and went back to owning a BMW because I knew they would never put a clutch in a vehicle that could not be fixed. The value of this vehicle also depreciated greatly compared to other car brands over a two year period."

Good little car

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Good looking, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Transmission problems"

Can't deny it, she's a real looker.

"I really loved my 2012 Focus. For the most part, it is a nice little car. It's good looking and gets great gas mileage. The only thing I don't care for is how it feels like the transmission is slipping when taking off from a stop. I took it back to the dealership right after I got it thinking something was wrong with it. They said they drove it and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. Isn't that how it always goes? Your car never does what you want it to do when you take to the mechanic. That's when I got online and found out there are a lot of other people complaining about the same problem. The new power shift duel clutch transmission is garbage. I just hope the seals in mine don't start leaking like they have in other people's. Right now I owe more than it's worth but if I didn't, I would trade it in for something else. Very worried."

Can't deny it, she's a real looker.

Just bought this car, and absolutely love it

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, fun to drive, high quality, price"

Cons: "None that I've found so far"

2012 Ford Focus S sedan, 5-speed manual, 100A equipment package, sterling gray metallic

"I just bought the 2012 Focus S sedan, with the 5-speed manual transmission. We didn't get any of the upgrade packages to keep the cost a little lower since we were working on a bit of a budget, and I really didn't see a need for most of them anyway. The car drives and feels like something that easily 'should' cost at least $10k more. The interior is very comfortable and high quality, and the controls are intuitive to use (standard radio system and AC controls). The trunk space is surprisingly generous, much better than previous compact cars I've owned. The engine has a lot of power, and mated with the manual transmission it can be zippy and responsive, or I can short shift for fuel economy. Even with short shifting and running in 4th or 5th gear a lot, it will still pick up speed when I need it. We researched the heck out of this purchase, settling in with the Focus for the features, styling, quality, ride, and price. So far, I'm averaging well above the EPA rated 36 mpg...with my most recent fill-up at a mind-blowing 41 mpg, mostly highway. I'll see how it does in the next several tanks with more mixed driving, but I'm very impressed already. Hands-down this is the best car I've owned."

Could not be happier

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Well balanced: design, performance, quality"

Cons: "Needs a center arm rest for the back seat."

"This car is top of its class. I drove several others to include the Civic, and found this to be the best value. High quality materials, both in and out, crisp engineering, and advanced technology puts this car years ahead of others in its class. I read the negatives that KBB evaluators wrote, and I like the whole SYNC set up. Takes a few moments to get to know, but since this is the technology age, it is targeted at a larger customer group. I also noticed the back seat provided the most room for my kids booster seats."

Hands-down best car in the compact segment

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Gas mileage,looks, driving dynamics,features,price"

Cons: "No rear cup-holders without leather package"

One great looking little Car.

"Forget everything you know about American cars, forget the cheap reputation Fords of the past had, this new Focus is outstanding. From the first second you sit down in this car you get the impression its made of quality materials; that feeling is heightened once you take it for a drive. The suspension is perfectly balanced, striking the right notes between comfort and control. You can feel the tires beneath you gripping the pavement as you make sharp cornering maneuvers, yet you don't feel every gap in the road while on the freeway. The 6 speed duel clutch transmission takes some getting used to as it behaves more like a manual, but once you drive it for a few weeks you'll never look back. Shifts are fast and smooth, never lurching the car between gears like many other automatics. During a pedal to the metal merge the transmission really snaps to life, evoking a throaty roar from the engine as you get to sixty miles an hour in just over seven seconds; over a second faster than most cars in its class. (Looking at you Civic) I average 29 miles around town and I frequently get over 42 on the highway, so yes, the Focus really does live up to its eco-minded claims. Interior materials are soft to the touch where it counts, and well textured where you hands may never go. It feels much fancier than similar cars in its segment. As far as reliability goes, stay far away from MyFord touch. This is the single biggest complaint with the car, and you'll save money by sticking with just the voice controlled 6-speaker radio.(Which by itself is class leading) The engine in the car is rock solid, and on the whole the transmissions are fine; the people who have problems are the most likely to write reviews after-all."

One great looking little Car.

Very Good small car

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "Fun to toss around, great mileage and looks"

Cons: "expensive to get into,"

"I purchased 2nd car in my area. I am pleased with the vehicle It actually corners better than my '09 mustang gt. The transmission does need some tweaking and I understand that a reprogram is available at the dealer that fixes the stuttering and false shifting. I have seen 37 mpg on trips and 29.5 around town."

Solid car with great styling and handling

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "handling, styling, mpg"

Cons: "noisy engine, transmission roughness, A/C, vents"

"Really like the handling and styling of the vehicle. Great driving position and allows good visibility of the road. Back seat is small for adults but hatchback provides decent luggage/grocery space. Transmission/engine is a little noisy at low speeds and when starting out. Air conditioning struggles to cool the vehicle at anything but max A/C and adjustability of vents is lacking, but both minor issues. Fun to drive and for a small car I don't think you could expect much more from the interior/exterior styling. The mechanical parts of the vehicle are real close to being great but could use a little tweeking."

Great Vehicle for the Price Range

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, fuel efficent, reliable, cost"

Cons: "Door lock set up, Sony premium sound system"

"First let me start by saying its a very fun car. Has a large amount of torque for a small hatchback. Even though the car is classified as a compact car it has a fair amount of room. I am 5'11" and fit well with room to spare. The Recardo seats are very nice and I find them quite comfortable but I know they are not for everyone, they are made for the driving enthusiast and hug you, not everyone likes that but it's just a matter of preference, you will have to sit in one and judge for yourself. I really only have 2 complaints about the car and they are just because I tend to be, well, picky. First would be the power lock set up, there is one button in the center of the dash to lock and unlock with no manual way to unlock or lock the door (this seems to be more and more common in newer vehicles) I just don't like it, I can't really say anything more about that. The second would be the upgraded Sony sound system, most will probably find it pleasing, it is much better then a standard factory radio but for my taste the sub is lacking and the bluetooth audio doesn't seem to go loud enough, again this is something you will have to listen for yourself, everyone's ears are different and most don't tend to be as picky as mine are when it comes to radios. Otherwise it is a great car, get's decent gas mileage, and has not given me any problems as of yet. I can not stress enough fun, fun, fun car that is economical enough to be used as a daily driver without breaking the bank to fill the tank."

Ford Focus SEL

By on Friday, March 06, 2015

Pros: "Sporty handling and gas mileage."

Cons: "Back seat room is tight."

"The SEL trim (now discontinued) was a great value for the money. The option for leather interior is unique in the compact range."

Best car in its class

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

"The Good: I have owned the Focus for almost two years. Immediately after buying it, my girlfriend and I took it on a road trip from Ohio to California and back. The car is roomy enough, quiet, gets great gas mileage, is fun to drive, very direct steering and is loaded with features. I perform the regular maintenance myself and have had to do nothing but three oil changes, so my two year cost of ownership is a whopping $120. I average about 34.5 mpg with about 70%/30% city to highway which it well above the EPA estimates. The Bad: I have needed the clutch assembly to be replaced at 18,000 miles (its the auto) but Ford took care of it under warranty. No problems since and from what most are saying now the problem was fixed after seal replacements. Mine was on of the first years in a new revamp, so you have to expect difficulties especially on a new drivetrain. Overall: This has been a great car compared to my 2002 Corolla. It is unbeatable in its class for style, comfort and overall reliability. Do not be afraid of reviews on the automatics, most of the reviews are leftover from when the car was released and the ST stole the show. Take it for a test drive and you will be happy with making the decision of getting yourself one too."

My first Ford Focus

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, sync, safety ratings"

Cons: "nothing"

"I grew up in a household that only bought other makes and models (chevy,japanese). I love my Ford! I am extremely happy that I choose the Focus over the Corolla and Civic. I believe that Ford has been doing their 100%!! If you are interested in a Ford, GO DRIVE ONE! They drive great! Oh, and by the way its GREAT in the snow!"

Love it to the max.

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Smooth ride, quiet, Design, Quality"

Cons: "transmission is unique, and patience is needed."

"A very nimble road feel, but long wheelbase and suspension feels smooth and quiet on rough roads. Very fast pickup when needed, and 6 spd Automatic Transmission is great and smooth shifting. Easy/Fun to drive in all kinds of traffic. With only 2000 mi driven mine is getting MPG as advertised. Paint and trim quality very high, perfect. "Feels" as good as '98 Honda Prelude I once had. I am impressed with the Pricing, a great deal $ !"

Love it

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, great looks, SYNC, Sport seats"

Cons: "Rear space, A-pillar blind spots"

"Have had this car about 6 months now. I'm leasing it for 2 years. The reason I bought this car vs. another competitor is because of the way it drives. It is much more fun than its compact car competitors. I'd recommend getting SYNC. One feature I love is I can hit a button on the steering wheel, say "Call Wife" and the car will automatically dial my wife (confirm if it didn't understand), and I'm talking to my wife through the car. All the while, both of my hands were on the steering wheel (or shifter). I would not recommend the sedan if you need to carry a lot of cargo. The trunk is roomy enough for most trips, but bulky items will not fit well. Go for the hatch if you need more room. I chose not to because I like the sedan's lines better. I would not recommend the Focus if you often need to use the backseat for adults. It is plenty big for children and the occasional passengers, but rear legroom is bottom tier for the compact segment."

Used 2012 Focus SEL Sedan

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "The Interior, Exterior, Radio and Exceleration."

Cons: "Nothing for 5,000 so far."

"I bought the car at the end of October. I got it used and acordding to car facts it was a rental car. I got the car at 32,400 miles and currently have 38,000. I drive 75 + miles a day 7 days a week at times and I honestly love this car. I had a 2006 Toyota Corolla prior to this car and I liked the Toyota but it always felt cramped and like I never had enough power to get on and off the highway. I have had the car for 2 months now with a lot of driving and having people in the back seat regularly. So far I have not had an issue with their not being enoughg room even though one of my friends is 6'3" and had plenty of head room. I love the SYNC system and learned it very qucikly. I do understand where people are coming from with the tranny. But I have not had any issues with it. It accelerates very nicely and has incredible brakes. I love this car and enjoy the leather seats, moon roof,SYNC and it looks like a sports car instead of a gas sipper. I plan to keep it for quite some time and I LOVE this car!!!"

Great Commuter Car

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "Great value, technology is top notch"

Cons: "Transmission can be flaky at times."

"Car is great for commuting. Ride is comfortable and handling is tighter than you would expect. Sony entertainment system is incredible and very easy to use. Only downside is the transmission, its a little flaky. I had to have a software update applied to fix the transmission within the first few months. Even now it stutters at times and can be a little jerky. Overall, I would buy it again as it has exceeded my expectations. For the value, you'd be hard pressed to find a better car."

Great MPG,Sporty,Quick,Easy to Maneuver

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Stereo,fuel economy,handling,engine power,6 speeds"

Cons: "seats are a bit firm and not power or heated seats"

"I bought this after researching and reading a lot of good about the Ford Focus. It fits just about anywhere when parking, easy to handle, steers great,takes corners very well. Seats have low center of gravity which gives it a sporty feel. The six speed transmission does well and shifts smoothly. As with any car when sitting in traffic a lot, I recommend using the parking brake and taking the trans out of gear, which keeps the trans cool and saves fuel. Mild acceleration and 5 mph slower than posted speeds will lead to very nice fuel economy. I get an average highway of 39mpg highway and 42mpg city. I love this model and I prefer the hatchback over the sedan due to increased space and the roomy feel inside. The styling makes it look fast and attractive. Race Red is my color of choice because being a smaller vehicle I want to be seen on the road which may help avoid a collision later."

Perfect car for a young person starting out.

By on Thursday, September 05, 2013

Pros: "great price, great size, chic, handles well"

"I have been leasing my 2013 Focus since October of last year (2012). I love it! It's a perfect size for me, I don't have kids or anything but it gets me where I'm going (class, work, gym, etc.). The car has been on three road trips now and always does great. I usually get about 28mpg in the city and about 32mpg on the highway; it's a smaller tank than my previous car but I can go longer without filling up. I love the center console for cds, sunglasses, pens, etc not to mention you can plug in an mp3. It's great to be able to sync your phone and be able to make calls hands free. There are plenty of cup holders, the trunk is spacious, and I love the how the side mirrors have the inserted second mirror that make changing lanes much easier (good bye blind spot). I could see how this car might be a little small for someone with a family, I know it would have been too small for mine when I was a kid. But for me, a recent college grad, it is the perfect size. I genuinely love this car and have not had a single problem with it."

This Is The Ultimate Pocket Rocket!!!

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "SYNC, Styling, Recaros, Controlled Power, HIDs."

Cons: "Lacks Back-Up Camera, Small 12-Gallon Fuel Tank."

"I absolutely love this car! I bought a Tuxedo Black initially, but was really in love with the signature Tangerine Scream color... even though it is a little loud and showy. After racking up 6 months and 11,000 miles on the Tuxedo Black I traded it for the current. This car has nearly everything you could dream of. It's perfect for the tech-types, the racer-types, and it unique and refined enough for the semi-older driver who needs an economical play toy with a little zest under the hood. The pros are so plentiful that I could not begin the list... but the brakes are phenomenal from a safety standpoint. The only con is that there is the lack of a back-up camera, and the rear seating area is tight. Also, if you are much over 200 lbs or have wide hips, the wonderfully comfortable Recaro seats will feel a little... "confining." The racing suspension makes for rather unforgiving jolts on city streets but it very nimble and smooth on highways. Of course, if you wanted the ride of a Lincoln you'd be researching that car and not this little lightning bolt. :) This car is absolutely the one to pick if you're also considering the pricier Mazda, Subaru or Volkswagon competition. I guarantee you're gonna love the Ford. Happy Hunting!"

'12 Focus SEL Sedan w/Auto...in love with this car

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Appearance, options, seats, high-quality interior"

Cons: "Learning curve on auto-tranny but love it now"

"Brought my 2009 Focus (75,000 miles) into local dealer for scheduled maintenance at end of February, decided to poke around the lot. Found a black (new & unsold) 2012 model SEL sedan with almost every conceivable option short of keyless ignition and rain-sensing wipers. Otherwise had it all: leather, MyTouch, Sync, moonroof, 6-spd auto w/toggle shift, 17" magnesium lookalikes, rearview camera, prox sensors, mood lighting, top-end Sony audio w/subwoofer, fogs, auto-park. Sticker asked $25,680(honestly worthwhile for all the equipment), left with the car after having paid a shade over $18,000...including extended bumper-to-bumper (i drive a LOT). Only concern I had in first few days was the transmission when in "D", which seemed "creaky", as if it couldn't make up it's mind on what to do next. But as I spent more time in it, I learned the nuances. It wants to be as fuel efficient as possible, requiring a rethinking of sorts about the way you would normally drive an automatic. Becomes second nature rather quickly, and it's kinda cool considering all of that technology at play. Want to have fun? Throw it into the sport mode and hang on. Superb handling, crisp shifts. A good time in every drive, and it looks terrific."

Focus SFE: Peformance, Economy, MPG

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

Pros: "Performance, economy"

Cons: "Could use more cubbies, foglights"

"We purchased a 2013 Ford Focus SFE in late September 2012. The Focus SFE (Super Fuel Economy) is a Focus SE Sedan with addition of the optional SFE package. The SFE package adds aerodynamic flat wheel covers and steel wheels, aerodynamic rear deck spoiler, disc brakes on all four wheels and SFE badge on the trunk. The discs brakes are a big improvement over the SE (disc front/drums rear). These brakes stop very well. SFE MPG is 28/33/40. We get better than 33 MPG for most driving and got 42 MPG on a recent 70-mile trip. SFE gets 2 MPG better fuel efficiency than the Focus SE. That may not sound like a lot but it adds up. The 2 MPG equals 28 more miles per tank of gas. Needless to say, with gas prices approaching $5 per gallon in California we are very happy we chose the Focus SFE. The car has run beautifully. No problems at all. The DCT (automatic transmission) shifts smoothly all of the time. The transmission has a nifty hill-holding feature and a switch on the side of the gear selector knob for shifting to a lower gear range: useful for driving on grades. The 160 HP 2.0L engine is big enough to get great gas mileage at 65 MPH and small enough to get good mileage at city speeds. The Focus 2.0L accelerates very well. I suspect it gets better MPG at 65-70 MPH than cars with the smaller 1.4-1.8L turbo engines. Materials and workmanship was the best in this class. We started test driving the competition in July and we tried most of them. We looked for the best high-MPG compact sedan under $20K. For us it is the Focus SFE. The Focus has a comfortable and quiet ride. The suspension is just firm enough for excellent handling. SYNC works well with our Bluetooth smart phones. The weekend after we bought this car we spent an hour sitting in it while parked in the driveway. We were leafing through the Driver's Manual to learn all of the electronic or computerized features on this little beast. It's a fun car. How could this car be better? Maybe some more storage cubbies inside and include fog lights with the SFE package. This are minor considerations, though. We are very happy with the Focus SFE, both on the road and at the gas pump."

Wow !! Great Car

By on Saturday, July 09, 2011

Pros: "So Impressed with this new car !"

Cons: "None so far"

"To anyone looking for a Compact Car, this is the one you want. Mine is SE with Sport Pkg, heated seats, etc. Everything is 1st Class, especailly the ride and handling. I did a quyick trip on freeway got over 38 MPG, on avery hot day !! One of the best things about the Car is it's looks, it is a grabber, even people in BMW's give a second look, propably because it looks like a European Car, mainly an Audi A-3."

Ignore the negative reviews about this car!!!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Ford didn't take a bailout"

Cons: "People who abuse kbb..lol"

"I was looking at all the negative comments about this car and there all from the same group of people who hate on Ford just look at the user names at the top. Hate Ford,GM and a few made up names all from somebody in North Carolina (nc) lol it took me a min to catch on hope this review helps. Ford rules because it didn't take bail out money."