2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,114 - $16,649.

10/7.0

7.3

Based on 366 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.4/10
    7.3/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

This car isn't good

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "None"

"This car isn't a good car, no room no comfort, can't stretch your legs. Doesn't handle well NOT GOOD AT all and not worth the money"

Love it-not perfect but no car is!

By on Friday, February 20, 2015

Pros: "Beautiful interior styling, great options, fun to"

Cons: "Some weird shifting, not a lot of storage"

"You will read a lot of bad reviews about this car but look at the rating here. It's a great car! It was designed by a team that went to Europe to study those cars - we met a member of the team. The styling and options are unmatched, they thought of everything! If that's not your thing, I get it, but it's mine. As for the drive, it was tough to get used to since it's basically a manual that was automated. I did have some weird shifting but the tranny fix Ford came out with (no questions asked) fixed most of it. Once in awhile it delays a bit shifting up if it was just downshifting (I.e. Coasting) but not bad at all. Overall I really do love this car!"

lacks quality in my opinion

By on Sunday, February 15, 2015

Reason: poorly built / poor quality

Pros: "gas mileage"

Cons: "construction of vehicle is cheap and poor quality"

"The transmission does some surging and shuttering and I did not like that. It did not do that at first but seemed to get worse as time went on. Lots of plastic in the vehicle that wore with time also."

great first car for

By on Thursday, February 12, 2015

I don't own this car

Pros: "comfortable to driver, reliable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "weak brakes, finicky stereo, adv trac stability"

"This car is comfortable on longer trips, seats are supportive. The audio system is ok, NOT great but in the se version is good enough. The media settings are a bit fussy at first, but are very convenient once you figure it out. If you live in a place with winters you should know it warms up fast. Has crisp handling, accelerates nicely (5 speed manual), the ride quality is pretty good, it soaks up most bumps without leaving you seeking a chiropractor. I really recommend this car."

Very good car for 2 persons as far as travel goes

By on Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Pros: "Park assist is Great"

Cons: "Transmisson Shudder, Poor gas mileage"

"Car is good but averages 26 to 32 MPG. NOT the 27 to 37 MPG as advertised. Also transmission had some "Shudder" when starting off. Dealer says this is normal."

Good car

By on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

"Great gas mileage, I've gotten up to 450 miles on a tank. Ford's stability control team with it's traction control and ABS gives the car to handle greatly in the snow. I suggest not sticking with the stock tires however. The hatch adds style to the car, makes it look sporty. The only two downfalls are if the driver is a big person, there will be hardly any leg room in the back for another grown person. The 2nd thing is, it has average acceleration. I would like to line up next to a tC or a Golf and be able to beat them in a straight line, It is close but it's slower by about half a car length to those cars. It'll beat your standard, Civic, Corolla, Impreza, Dart, etc. Overall I do believe it is the best overall balanced compact car available on the market."

Transmission issues

By on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Pros: "Good value, comfortable interior"

Cons: "Transmission issues"

"I loved everything about this car when I bought it, however google Ford Focus transmission issues before you buy. At 2 years old my car is vibrating very badly during day to day driving and as far as I can tell, Ford doesn't have a way to fix it. They agree to repair the broken parts and extended the warranty but it takes months to get an appointment to get it into the dealership for the repair, and there are consistent reports that the repairs don't last and need to be re-done. Would not buy again."

Dependable Hot Hatch

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pros: "Quick, fun to drive"

Cons: "Huge turning radius"

"If you are looking for a dependable hot hatch, this is it. Approaching three years of ownership and the ST has never needed service beyond a couple of TSBs that were done to address a bang that occurred when shifting between first and second gear. TSB addressed the issue. Fun to drive daily and comfortable on long trips. Great power and handling. Only down side is a HUGE turning radius, so if you have to maneuver in tight parking lots, do be aware it's the one downside of ownership."

Very nice. Nice to travel in. Good gas milage

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"Very nice. Nice to travel in. Good gas milage"

Great car for its value

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pros: "fun and comfy to drive; great price; simple"

Cons: "poor sync feats; poor turning radius; poor resale"

"I bought brand new and have been loving it since. Of course I have not had any mechanical issues with it because it is still only a year old, so I yet have to see how it treats me when it's time to take it to the doctor for repairs. However I am enjoying its smooth ride and gas-friendliness. All my passengers think it's quite roomy, comfortable and nice on the inside as well as cool looking on the outside. The one thing that does not let me rate this car a 10 is its Sync system and its poor turning radius compared. I find Sync poor and whacky to use and wish I was able to update its system/software somehow."

Very good small 2nd car

By on Friday, January 09, 2015

Pros: "Very good build quality and very good handling."

Cons: "Not great for long trips with people in back seat"

"Very good build quality and very good handling. 2 L engine gives good acceleration in traffic. It looks good too. For longer road trips with more than 2 people, the car is probably too small."

Great car except for automatic transmission

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

Pros: "Good size, great fuel mileage, good looks/design"

Cons: "Automatic transmission- would be perfect w/manual"

"Overall the Focus is a great little car, I just wish I bought the manual transmission. I ended up buying an automatic because that's the only thing the dealers in my area had in stock, and I couldn't get any discounts/incentives if I special ordered one. After driving it for a couple years I really regret that - I should have held out for a manual transmission as the automatic is the only major negative. Like most everyone else, my Focus SE with the automatic also suffers from shudders and quirky/noisy shifting particularly at low speeds. However during more "spirited" acceleration it cleans up a lot and the shifting is much crisper. But still, the automatic's shifting pattern is clearly tuned for fuel mileage and it keeps the RPM's pretty low all the time. The push-button sequential shifting feature is also completely useless - it is awkward to use, and there is a long delay (1 second or more) between pushing the button and the actual shift. That being said, although the transmission is annoying, it has been reliable for me. Haven't had any mechanical issues since buying it new (~2.5 years, 30k miles, averaging 35.5 mpg)."

Great value and fun to drive

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

Pros: "great price, really a poor man's Porsche"

Cons: "not a great all weather car"

"I'm about 155 lbs and 5'9", but any bigger and it would be a tough fit. I enjoy the ST version. Plenty of power, fun to drive and reasonable gas mileage. I can haul my three kids easily. The manual transmission is forgiving and lots of fun. The only complaints are that the performance tires are not really all-weather tires so beware when it rains or snows (even a little). Also, the rear seat belt connector is not working. Small issues, really. I've owned a BMW, and a Miata, in my day and this is a nice, comfortable and practical alternative. This would be a fun car if they had a convertible version! I do agree with another writer, though, the console cup holders are inconveniently placed and a center interior light would be helpful."

Great fun-to-drive small car

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, and great on fuel"

Cons: "Cramped back seat, short-lived OEM tires"

"I bought the 2012 Focus S sedan, with the 5-speed manual, in very early 2012 and have owned it for almost 3 years now. It was the first new car I've ever bought, and I do not regret waiting for this car for a minute. I love everything about this car, and it's a blast to drive. I do have the lowest trim level, and I prefer that actually: it has all the bells and whistles I care to have in a car. The seats are comfortable, though the back seat has tight legroom, which is a problem for taller people on longer drives. The trunk is plenty big, and I've managed to pack way more into the car using the back seat and passenger seat than I ever would have imagined possible. I really love the exterior styling, and the interior is nice as well. Having the manual transmission for this car is the way to go. It's got plenty of giddy-up when needed, and can be pretty smoothly driven otherwise. Handling is really good, as I've hugged a lot of tight mountain turns in it at decent speeds. It's smooth in highway driving, and it's also surprisingly good in the snow, though super deep stuff is tricky, as it is for almost anything that isn't 4WD/AWD and higher off the ground. I exceed all of the mileage ratings by a solid margin. I routinely see 40-41 MPG in highway driving, 32-34 in mixed, and 28-30 in heavy city driving. I have noticed the car runs a little smoother on ethanol-free fuel, so I buy that when I can find it, and use higher-quality E10 gas otherwise (I avoid the super discount chains). Basically, in highway driving 500 miles on a tank is feasible, though I tend to fuel back up after 450 in highway-only, and around 350 in mixed to avoid running it too low. The only knock I have on this car was the OEM tires. The Continental tires that came on it were horrible on treadlife. Rated for 60k, but they were pretty well worn down by 30k. I replaced them at 43k after stretching them. And no, the car was not out of alignment...the tires were just that bad, and I've seen that mentioned by many owners of this car. In summary, I've always preferred the smaller vehicles anyway, be it compact trucks and SUVs or cars, and the Focus has been my favorite so far. I've had experience with Acura, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Jeep, Nissan, and Subaru, and the Focus has surprisingly been the best of that bunch in my experience. It's a real pleasure to drive, and economical on gas to boot."

Can't wait to trade

By on Sunday, December 21, 2014

Pros: "nice color"

Cons: "mileage, design,performance"

"Poor interior design, cupholders are in the way of controls and shifting, folding down the back seats is a chore, chrome dash vent trim reflects in the side windows and looks like there's a car next to you when there's not. The automatic shifting leaves a lot to be desired, I could shift better on my manual when I was just learning to drive, it's very rough and jerky. Mileage estimate was deceptive, it's supposed to get 27 city 37 hwy, avg 31. I'm averaging 27.5 and most of my driving is highway."

WOW, JUST WOW

By on Sunday, December 21, 2014

Pros: "Price - Features - Styling - Economy - FUN!"

Cons: "Learinig curve to master systems"

"Ford has a winner with this one. Some have had issues, but mine is a CHAMP!"

Like a Sports Car (kinda) on an Economy Budget

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel efficient, feature packed"

Cons: "a little tight if you are 6'4" 240"

"To be fair I do not have much experience with driving sports cars, but I have driven many economy type cars over the years. Sub-compacts, compacts, mid-sized cars. All the typical rental fleet. The Focus out classes all of them in comfort, styling, and that intangible "fun-to-drive" feeling. I get up to 40mpgs on the highway and about 28 zipping around town. This car gets up and goes to. 160hp might not sound like much but for a tiny little car I feel like I am driving a sport coupe. The only cons is that it is a little tight for a large guy like myself and it is a little more expensive than some of its closest competitors."

Sporty car with great manual transmission

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "quick, great transmission, flat handling"

Cons: "loud road noise, would like more torque"

"Bought this car as a commuter primarily but also to carry my family of 5 occasionally. Sport model for a nicer interior and rear disc brakes to go along with the 5spd manual for occasional autocross races. Very nice fit/finish but road noise is high and interferes with the bluetooth speakerphone. Driving dynamics are very good with a couple of exceptions - engine has very little torque at low rpm and seems to have a heavy flywheel which makes gearchanges a little weird. On the plus side high end horsepower is good and the transmission is great. In all an enjoyable car with good (34mpg) mileage that can be flexible when you need it to be."

great car, no problems, love added features

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, luxury as well as utility."

Cons: "Difficult for older person to enter and exit."

"One of the best vehicles I've owned, first-time Ford, loved all the added features. Great Navigation and high tech. Only problem was for me, the car was difficult to enter/exit; it would be most suited to a younger more able individual."

Great car sporty and cool

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "great price for a sporty well built car"

Cons: "no satellite radio on my model, and manual seats"

"the car is great, I just bought it new with the ruby red color upgrade, I love it. only downside is that it has manual adjusting seats and no satellite radio."

Good car - Bad engineering

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Nice car - Could have been world-class."

Cons: "Double-clutch tranny."

"The automatic transmission in this car is an abomination and constantly have to be re-flashed. 3x in one year. And FORD has no recall. Shakes, shutters, hesitates, parking lot speeds truly befuddle the shifting patterns. And speed bumps - well they lend something else to the bad transmission. I've had cars with Double clutch and adaptive transmissions - And they don't shift like this. FORD folks say it drives like a manual - NOT! I would never had bought the car w'an Auto had I know this was an epic , continuing issue."

Looks sharp - but no substance

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Sharp looking car, and comfort"

Cons: "Cheap materials used, Nav not dependable, wiring"

"This car doesn't hold up under time. Keys aren't supposed to be able to be locked inside with Keyfob, but they do. The lack of quality in the materials used (steering wheel has a tin like material which is peeling), the Nav screen is sharp, unfortunately the Nav works about 25% of the time. In snow with the low profile build the car easily gets stuck in 3 inches or slushy roads. Can't get up a slushy road if there is any rise in grade. Terrible. Rear decking disintegrated within 6 months of ownership, replaced twice. I live in Mass, not Arizona with hot blistering sun. When dealership went to install a door key lock pad the car "wouldn't allow the system" to be overridden. Car is comfortable, but in this day and age so what. All the extra's you pay for and don't get is frustrating."

Fun car, let down by electronic issues

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "Fast, fun and good looking. Free racing school."

Cons: "Electronic problems and poor turning radius."

"This car is a blast to drive. It will keep up with high performance cars costing much more. It looks great, inside and out. My Ford Touch is, as always, a nightmare. It's hard to use and is unpredictable. The 911 assist on my car has failed several times, resulting in three unsuccessful repair attempts under warranty. The turning radius is shockingly poor and if you opt for the Recaro seats, understand that they don't fit all body types. Other than this, the car is great. It drives amazingly well and returns good fuel economy if you go easy on the throttle. If I can sort out the issues with this car, I will keep it for many years. If you get one, be sure to look into ST Octane Academy. It's free if you purchase the car new and is an amazing experience. I don't know what they spend putting the school on, but I would value it at a thousand dollars or more. It's that good."

Love my Focus ST

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "Performance/handling, reliability, comfort, size"

Cons: "Mileage could be a bit better"

"For me, it's a perfect car. Just the right size, pretty decent gas mileage, low maintenance, responsive, comfortable, well behaved in city driving, a fire breather on the open road. I get lots of compliments on the Recaro seats, and all the convenience items are well-conceived and functional. I'm 50-plus, so I like that it has a bit of an edge but doesn't make me look like I"m trying to be 25. Well done, Ford@"

FOCUS BABY, FOCUS!

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "Super fun to drive and very dependable."

Cons: "Not a lot of interior storage space."

"This is my 3rd Focus. My 2012 is my favorite SO FAR. It is very comfortable to drive, gets decent gas mileage and has nice looking interior/dash. I drive approximately 50 miles round trip weekdays to work and a tank will last me through the week with alittle left over. It is a solid car. I don't hear a lot of road noise when I drive. It has some giddy up too. For a 4 cyl. it can get up and go if needed. I've even churped the tires before. I've had it 2-1/2 years now. There is no sign of rust so far. My only complaint is there isn't a lot of storage space for your "stuff". It has been dealer maintained and other than oil changes and a couple normal wear and tear items it's been trouble free. I would hightly recommend the 2012 Ford Focus to anyone. It's very dependable and fun to drive, plus it's a nice looking car."