2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,418 - $16,851.

10/7.0

7.4

Based on 308 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10

Lemon?

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "Nice when it works"

Cons: "Totally unreliable."

"The battery on our Ford Focus EV has died repeatedly. This is an incredible inconvenience and for that reason I would steer consumers away from the car. At first, when the battery died at stop lights, we were told we needed a software update, which seemed to fix the problem for a few months. Now, the battery has died again and can't even be charge if we can get the car home. Also, the Sync system fails repeatedly. Loaner cars aren't a substitute because they do not have a car pool lane sticker. I now think the car is a lemon."

I love my car!!

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Most all things"

Cons: "Kinda tight."

"First let me start by saying, I have a manual transmission. All the bad things that have been said about this car, have been for an automatic transmission. I drive pretty crazy and let my RPMs get pretty high and I am still getting 34.6 MPG, and climbing. It take 38 dollars to fill my tank and I get 440 miles until empty. The Sync is amazing! It sticks to the road very well. Great with turns and rain! I would recommend this car to all of my friends and complete strangers."

Nothing but Problems

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Good on Gas"

Cons: "The transmission, wiring harneses, stalls"

"My car is about 2.5 years old and I've owned if for 14 months. The transmision is awful, jerks and is very shakey. I had problems with the air conditioning leaking into the passenger side floor. The dealership told me it was a faulty part that Ford was designing and when it became available they'd call me back in to fix it. Never happened and magically the leaking stopped so I didn't even bother following up with Ford. Now I have electrical problems and the car stalls out when driving. Give the car gas and it just revs like it's in neutral. There's a "hill start assist unavailable" message that pops up and then the car stalls. The car is unsafe and frustrating to deal with. Never buying another Ford again."

Wish I never bought!

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

"I have had several issues with the transmission in this car! I had it fixed 1 month ago and it is leaking fluid again! I brought it to the dealer I bought it from several times and told them there was a problem with the vehicle, and was told there was nothing wrong with it, when I brought it to get an oil change they are the ones who have told me twice the transmission was leaking. No Ford dealer can take it in for one or two weeks because they are so backed up fixing transmissions! Just received a letter from Ford "not a recall" but there have been some issues so they are extending the warranty on the transmission. Does anyone have that much time to drive to the dealer to fix a newer car, and be in convinced to have the dealer take 10 days to fix it? Back interior below rear window has rotted out! Anyone want to fix that at Ford? Not really!"

Wwwwaaaayyyy better gas mileage than expected.

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage. Looks great. Tight steering."

Cons: "Audio display buttons are a little confusing."

"I was very surprised to see the gas mileage of our focus. I think the epa estimated it to be 26 city and 36 on the highway. we are getting more like 35 in the city and just the other day we got 49 mpg on a 6 hour trip to and from Phoenix. The trip before that was 45 or 46.I don't know how accurate the mpg estimator is on the car but I think the epa must have had a lead foot when they tested this one."

power + grip + rally design + good MPG = awesome

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "power, grip, rally car design, good MPG"

Cons: "price, options prices, SYNC"

"This is my daily commute car and I love it. I have been wanting a car this powerfull for many years now but could not aford it until now. I love the power that it brings when you put it to the test and the grip in curves. Being a rally race car fan myself, I love the way it looks and drives. It feels like I am in a race... yeah, I do step on it every time I drive it. Gas milage is good too. The car itself is a little pricy in my area, it would be great if the options were not so expensive. My only concern would be SYNC. It works great when it actually works, it just needs some tweeking that is all. Overall it meets expectations, but does not exceed expectations."

Great sporty car for a small family! ST2 package

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

"Bought this car back in the beginning of February, 2014 and absolutely love it! I did have an issue with the steering from day one, however. It had that twitchy/loose off center issue and it would overcorrect constantly. Quick trip to the dealership and they ordered a new steering rack and swapped it out, no more problems (all completed under warranty). I drive about 30 miles round trip for work and I average around 26-27mpg, even getting onto it a couple times everyday. The car isn't what I would call fast, but it is snappy and very quick in stock form, even more so when you add a tune to it! It handles like no other FWD car out there. It's a bizarre feeling to through this car into a corner and you can feel the back end kicking out as though it is a RWD car. All of which is very welcome when you're pushing it through mountain roads. I have two children, four and five years old, and they fit just fine in the car. We actually took the car on vacation earlier this year to Florida. Packed the hatch up, got a soft roof top cargo carrier and everything fit with some room to spare. We averaged 29mpg on the trip down and back, not too shabby with a loaded car and four people! The seats were fairly comfortable, thought after being in the car for six hours, we were a bit stiff. Overall this has been an excellent car, one of the best bang-for-your-buck vehicles out there IMHO. Unfortunately for the car, my wife just found out she is pregnant with our third, so this car just won't work anymore. I might have too look into the SHO, I'm hooked on these EcoBoost motors!"

Nice car, well equipped. Nice styling.

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

Pros: "Styling, Ride, Handling, fit and finish."

Cons: "Rear leg room, no rear floor mats."

"Leased this car to replace a leased 2012 Fusion SEL. OK this is less car than the Fusion which was one of the best cars I've ever had. The ride is a little more harsh, which was to be expected in a smaller lighter vehicle. But it is much better than the 2009 Honda Civic I traded last year for an Escape. The Civic was rough riding and very road noisy, This car handles nicely. Very sporty and not a lot of road noise. Only real complaints I have are the lack rear carpeted foor mats and the craftmanship of the leather seats was mediocre. All seat backs and cushions had varying degrees of wrinkles. I got the SE appearance package and the Winter package as I live in Michigan. Equipped with just those 2 packages I believe is the best value. I read all the complaints about Sync and MY FORD TOUCH. I haven't experienced those problems in either of my 2 Fords. Like all things electronic, reading the manuals and a little patience goes a long way."

No problem excellent car always garaged .

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive good milage ."

Cons: "Too small for our problem"

"My reason for selling or trading is I have a medical reason .I like this car it has plenty of pep ,safe and economical. What we need is Ford Edge or Free star or something in 2010 that age group ."

Not thrilled but could be worse

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "good mileage"

Cons: "cheap stereo, foggy windows"

"Old car needed work fast and thought better to buy now then put all the money into the other. Stereo system is very cheap compared to my Aveo. I transfer my books on cd onto one mp3 cd or flash drive so I don't have to change cd's while driving. The system won't play them because it can't handle that many tracks. No problem on my cheapy Aveo. More wind noise than I would like and windows will fog inside very quickly if I don't have the defrost on. So bad that I can't see out the windows at all until I put the defrost on! Dealer said this is very common for this model. Mileage is good for the 32 miles round trip I take for work. Handles well, but I can hear the transmission grinding from a slow start. If I press harder on the gas it goes away. Again the dealer says this is just common for the car."

Cons: "Sync system aggravating, USB port in console"

"I recently purchased a 2014 Ford Focus SE with the following options: SE appearance package and the power moonroof. I haven't owned my 2014 Focus for long, but i'm really impressed with what I got for the price. The driving/steering system is absolutely amazing, and this car drives better than any other car that I've ever owned. The car comes standard with many options, and the appearance package added such things as fog lights, ambient interior lights, sirius radio, leather trimmed seats, 6 speed power shift automatic transmission, power mirrors, 17" wheels, and a six way power driver's seat. My only complaints are that the Sync system is a bit flawed. The voice recognition isn't the best, and if the system doesn't understand my command, it sometimes goes on a bit of a lengthy rant and recites every command one could possibly make. The power shift automatic transmission shifts a bit roughly through the first three gears, but I've read that it takes time for the system to synchronize and shift smoothly. If I remember, I will return and make additional comments regarding this. Lastly, there's only one small console in between the two front seats, and for some reason this is where they put the USB and auxiliary ports. Overall I feel that I got a great car for a great price. I couldn't refuse the offer as it was $20.5k @ 1.9% interest. Overall, I am a very satisfied customer and I will definitely shop Ford in the future."

great car

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Cons: "gas"

"I love this car. The great gas milage is my favorite aspect of it. I bought it in 2012 with 21,000 miles on it. It now has 59000 and I haven't needed to put money into it besides regular maintenance."

Fun rating = 10+

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Great performance for the money."

Cons: "Too tempting to ignore speed limits."

"Definitely a driver's car. Not recommended for teenagers."

Great car, but a few major issues.

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Reason: Moved back to area where I needed 4 wheel drive, had some issues with Focus.

Pros: "A lot for the price, luxurious interior for Ford"

Cons: "Clutch issues ruin everything else"

"Ford did a great job with the redesign of the Focus in 2012. The car comes with options of a ton of great technology that other competitors at the price do not offer and driving the car is pure fun. Not to mention, it gets great gas mileage. I was always shocked at how good my mpgs were! However, because this engine was redesigned in 2012, the clutch is plagued with issues. I even had it replaced under warranty (with the same clutch by Ford) and it did nothing to fix the grinding noises and junting that happens when the car switches gears (I drive an automatic). It makes you think something is wrong with the car even though Ford claims it is not. Something is wrong. It also vibrates when idling and Ford claims there is no fix for these issues. All the little things about this car are great, but Ford messed up with the design of this engine. I finally gave in and went back to owning a BMW because I knew they would never put a clutch in a vehicle that could not be fixed. The value of this vehicle also depreciated greatly compared to other car brands over a two year period."

runs great

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

"The focus gets good MPG, is very smooth, quiet and roomy. The engine is very strong and so far the dual clutch transmission has been great...it definitely looks, feels and drives like a European car. I like the capless gas tank filler too...I bought the s automatic model for 14,925.00 total out the door price. Assembled in Michigan too...I only buy domestic cars assembled in us. This is my eighth new GM or Ford and they have all run good. Chrysler makes some very good vehicles too"

Engine and transmission issues

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, comfy to drive"

Cons: "not reliable, in and out of the shop"

"I bought this car used two years ago as a lease return at 20,000 miles. It had a great price and a warranty and I was thrilled. I had some minor electrical issues with interior lights almost immediately, but these were covered under the warranty. The transmission shudders, as do all new focus transmissions. The dealership reset the transmission and it seemed a little better, but still not great. In the sport setting, the shudder is worse and it shifts erratically. At about 54,000 miles, the Ford dealership told me I had a rear main seal leak. As I understand it, that's not normal in a two year old car. They fixed the problem, again under warranty. At just under 60,000 miles, almost the end of my powertrain warranty, the dealership said I had another oil leak. They took my car apart to find it was a transmission fluid leak and that had to replace my dead clutch and do an "overhaul" of the transmission. Again, it was covered. That same week, my coworker with a 2012 focus also needed a new clutch and transmission repair. Her car has 40,000 miles. My warranty is now done, and I've had the engine and gearbox out twice in six months. I bought a nearly new car hoping for reliability, but that hasn't been the case..."

Buy if you're single, stay away if you have a fam

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas milage"

Cons: "Half second hesitation on fast acceleration"

"I'm a single guy so backseats with little room doesn't bother me. From the drivers seat my experience is that this is a fun car to drive. It doesn't have a bad transmission, it has a unique transmission. If you go to gun it it WILL have a half second delay, so you have to "call" your two lane highway passes. It has stiff (wanna-be) sporty shocks so some people don't like that. Some people don't like that the transmission isn't like every other car on the road. I love it! It's a good car, I have reliability a 7 because I've heard that the transmission fails very fast, and that's the only thing that worries me. Also the reason for the 8 on quality. It's not like driving a cloud because of the "sporty" shocks. Other than that I don't regret my purchase."

Great car if you like transmission problems

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Looks great and comfortable, great fuel mileage"

Cons: "bad transmission,"

My 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB

"Car looks great, best I can say about it. Transmission is horrible and most likely will eventually put you in the dealership for a few days for repairs. Started seeing small issues with the way it shifted when giving car the gas and told one dealership. They said it was the design of them. 2 years and 23,000 miles later car at another dealership who knows the cars have issues and was willing to work on it. Great car if you like having tranny issues worked on. Was going to buy another Ford, but now going Honda, Toyota, something like that."

My 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB

A reliable, fun, peppy little car to drive.

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "GREAT gas mileage. Lot`s of gadgets. Super radio."

Cons: "Rides a little rough, due to larger wheels."

"I`ve owned my Ford Focus Titanium hatchback for a year and a half now and I really love it. It has a sharp sporty look and it`s the first car I`ve owned, which several strangers have approached me and asked me how I liked it and told me how impressive it looks. The car started and performed well during our last seige of below zero weather, here in Michigan and it is very comfortable and elaborately outfitted in the cabin and really fun to drive and very easy to park."

Great Little Car For Price

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "great mpg -"

Cons: "Tire wear - Transmission"

"I drive this 2012 Focus almost 500 miles a day - Mostly interstate - Small amount of stop & go in town traffic - I average over 35 mpg. at 70-75 mph. Rain and wind does reduce average mpg though - Only real problem is the transmission in stop & go traffic - constant engage and dis-engaging in traffic - Also stays dis-engaged if you are too quick moving from brake to accelerator. Other than getting use to the way the transmission works, this has been a great little car."

auto transmission problems

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage is good, constant 30mpg"

Cons: "Dependability may be a problem if i keep this car."

"Many auto trans problems. Dual clutch assembly replaced at 17,000 miles. It is now shuttering bad again at 31,500 miles. Carpet mat hold downs pulling out of carpet. Dealer says not covered??"

Its a car

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Cons: "Cup Holders are horrible too!"

"When I first looked in to buying this car I was truly excited. Once I owned the car for a week I was truly upset. I have had repeated transmission issues and have gone to the top to be told its "the nature of the car". While the car is sporty to drive and has great mileage, which was #1 reason for its purchase, it does lack in comfort and not a smooth ride. Most of this is my own fault. I was used to an SUV and a smoother ride. I travel the interstate everyday and its a rough ride. The shape of the seat also aggrevates my bad hip. It is a good car, but if I had known about the transmission issues, I would have never bought it. Lesson learned not to do move review first!!"

Great car! 33 miles per gallon.

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Built too low to the ground"

"Bought the car because wife travels a lot for business. She loves every aspect of the car. A little small for my 300 lb. body, but still very adequate for all our needs. 64000 miles and has only been in the garage for routine maintenance. Got 49000 miles on the original tires. Great little car!"