2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,030 - $16,519.

10/7.0

7.3

Based on 406 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.6/10

Great Vehicle for the Price Range

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, fuel efficent, reliable, cost"

Cons: "Door lock set up, Sony premium sound system"

"First let me start by saying its a very fun car. Has a large amount of torque for a small hatchback. Even though the car is classified as a compact car it has a fair amount of room. I am 5'11" and fit well with room to spare. The Recardo seats are very nice and I find them quite comfortable but I know they are not for everyone, they are made for the driving enthusiast and hug you, not everyone likes that but it's just a matter of preference, you will have to sit in one and judge for yourself. I really only have 2 complaints about the car and they are just because I tend to be, well, picky. First would be the power lock set up, there is one button in the center of the dash to lock and unlock with no manual way to unlock or lock the door (this seems to be more and more common in newer vehicles) I just don't like it, I can't really say anything more about that. The second would be the upgraded Sony sound system, most will probably find it pleasing, it is much better then a standard factory radio but for my taste the sub is lacking and the bluetooth audio doesn't seem to go loud enough, again this is something you will have to listen for yourself, everyone's ears are different and most don't tend to be as picky as mine are when it comes to radios. Otherwise it is a great car, get's decent gas mileage, and has not given me any problems as of yet. I can not stress enough fun, fun, fun car that is economical enough to be used as a daily driver without breaking the bank to fill the tank."

excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

"I traded in a 2008 Lincoln mkz, on the focus titanium , 4 years ago I said I would not ever own a focus, I drove this one, I bought it after the test drive, the ride and comfort sold me, very little road noise, great peppy little car, voice command systems allows you to adjust ac/radio/phone operations by voice commands . seats are more comfortable than the MKZ. First tank of gas averaged 32.8 mpg, which will improve after first 1000 miles. great value for the money."

2014 SE hatchback 5-speed manual

By on Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy (5-spd), sporty driving dynamics"

Cons: "Expensive for its class"

"This is one of the most entertaining FWD vehicles I've driven. Cornering is sharp, brakes are very good, transmission is excellent and has short throws. Winter performance is sketchy, although that could be more my unfamiliarity with driving a FWD car weighing less than 3000# with summer-only tires. My previous vehicle traded in for this was a 4000+# 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX HPP, which was a reliable workhorse in the winter, always taking me where I wanted to go (up hills, down hills, around curves) and never taking me where I didn't want to go (places like ditches, trees, jersey barriers, etc.). For the Focus in snow-prone areas, I recommend winter tires. And prayers for those times where it understeers through a curve and takes you to one of those places I mentioned that you don't want to go. Fuel economy thus far is tough to gauge; we had a pretty brutal winter about a month after I got the car, and between the extreme cold and the above average snowfall the fuel consumption in any vehicle takes a dive (idling after start-up to warm, staying in lower gears in the snow, higher air density, lower energy density in the winter blend gas). During the break-in period I saw 28-37 mpg city/highway. This generally falls within the fuel consumption rating on the window sticker (26 city / 36 highway / 30 combined). Interior is attractive for this class of car. The ergonomics are good in my estimation (6' 150# male). I opted for heated leather seats; a must in the Snow Belt, and the seat heaters work well. The leather is low-end but not uncomfortable. Some other reviewers noted that the car takes an unbearably long time to warm up and heat the cabin in winter, and that has been my experience as well. The Sync system works about as well as or better than every other speech-recognition system I've used in the past several years. The sole quality issue I encountered thus far is regarding the rear seat folding mechanism. Last weekend I folded the seat bottoms forward and seat backs down to create a flat loading floor (you can also just fold the seat backs down, but when you do so it will not be a flat surface). Once I had gotten home and unloaded, I tried rotating the seat back into its original position, but the whole seat back assembly popped out of the odd mechanical latch that appears to be meant to lock it into place and allow it to rotate. No problem, I thought, I'll just pop it back in, but it simply would not. This is a pending service call. In terms of utilization, this car is fairly comfortable. I have a family of (2a+3c), so we often have all seats in use. This is adequate for <30 minute trips, and most of them are. The hatch will hold the entirety of a full-on grocery trip for said family, but it won't be adequate for a camping trip unless we leave the kids home. Obviously this vehicle is not intended to service as a primary family vehicle, and I wouldn't recommend it as one unless your family is (2a+1c) or (1a+2c). In my household this vehicle is primarily a commuter car, and it serves that function admirably. All in all, it is a car that I had to get, not one that I wanted to get. All the same, it is an excellent car, with no qualifiers."

Steady runner

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

"I've owned this car for a year - so far I had no mechanical problems and it's been a steady runner for highway trips. However, when it comes to comfort, and anything remotely "fancy" - this is not even slightly the car for you. Top issues that I've had with this car: - driving dynamics. this car has very low maneuverability! I'm not a race car driver, but when I'm trying to get out of a bad corner on the way from daycare in rush hour, I want to be confident this car can get up and go. It chokes first, then gradually speeds up. So, no short passes, quick maneuvers at all, period. - this car has the most uncomfortable passenger seat ever!! the glove box is where your knees are and there is no way you can move far enough to get comfy - regardless how tall/big/skinny you are. never mind the fact that the backseat size is really small (choose car seats wisely). Trunk size is good though. - sound system. okay, i know i was getting the base model but really?? really?? I have a $4 speaker at home that hooks up to my phone or laptop via bluetooth which sounds MUCH better than this system. $4!! - this car has only 2 cup holders for driver, no other accommodations. you also won't find an ash tray there. oh, and AUX is in the glovebox - look closely. I do like: - blind spot mirrors - safety release in the trunk - cheap parts if repair needed - so far, consistency and reliability. - LOVE gas mileage. The most I was able to get out of it was 37.5 (above manufacturer's ratings) - that was highway miles for a few days. Currently mix of city\highway - 31.1. Love it. - I do like that it blends in - sometimes it's just handy :)"

Great car...good for around town or short commutes

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Handles well, easy to park/drive"

Cons: "No power windows in back seat"

"Would be good car for college/HS student. I have really liked the car. I chose it over a Toyota. Even though it's better around town, it still holds its own on the highway...I have no complaints about it."