2013 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,882 - $18,477.

10/7.1

7.3

Based on 317 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.6/10

auto transmission problems

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage is good, constant 30mpg"

Cons: "Dependability may be a problem if i keep this car."

"Many auto trans problems. Dual clutch assembly replaced at 17,000 miles. It is now shuttering bad again at 31,500 miles. Carpet mat hold downs pulling out of carpet. Dealer says not covered??"

Rented a new Focus

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

I don't own this car

"I rented a 2012 Focus that died on me last weekend. Car would not start. Why? I don't know! Want to know what the car rental company replaced the car with?...A DIFFERENT 2012 FOCUS. This car didn't have any problems starting, but I was disgusted with the My Ford Touch. I really wasn't sure the MFT was as bad as people say. The thing was working fine for the first day, and it was actually fun to use at first, but than the thing would freeze and audio wouldn't turn off. I put up with it for a day before I called the car rental to tell them to just give me something that wasn't made by Ford. They replaced it with a boring but problem free Nissan. The Focus is definitely a car I will never want to own."

Its a car

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Cons: "Cup Holders are horrible too!"

"When I first looked in to buying this car I was truly excited. Once I owned the car for a week I was truly upset. I have had repeated transmission issues and have gone to the top to be told its "the nature of the car". While the car is sporty to drive and has great mileage, which was #1 reason for its purchase, it does lack in comfort and not a smooth ride. Most of this is my own fault. I was used to an SUV and a smoother ride. I travel the interstate everyday and its a rough ride. The shape of the seat also aggrevates my bad hip. It is a good car, but if I had known about the transmission issues, I would have never bought it. Lesson learned not to do move review first!!"

Be aware

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pros: "Price, beautiful engine, hi quality finish, ride"

Cons: "Cant Heel & Toe downshift"

"I bought this after Pontiac stopped making the Solstice. Very similar in power, but the rear wheel drive solstice corners so much better, not to say the focus doesn't but... As to everything else its a brilliant little fun car, but well built, comfortable for my lard backside and 6' height, on all but 8 hour + trips To those who complain about snow driving, this is a "sports car" sold with summer tires, either change you tires or get a snow car. Fuel consumption: in Houston traffic even with my lead foot 25 on a regular basis on the highway, keep it around the legal 85 in Texas and you'll see 35. My only & I mean only gripe, the brake/accelerator pedals are not set up for heel & toe downshifts, such a great pity. Bottom line, as my summary says, Be aware, this is no limmo, nor is it intended to be, it is no snow car , and to be honest putting salt on the excellent paintwork is criminal. it is a fun hard driving euro hatchback and will match any of them. It is not a dragster but on sweeping bendy country roads it will take on anything."

Sportiest Sedan Exterior Meets Economy

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Economy, Sportiness, Powertrain, Purchase Price"

Cons: "Interior Compartments, Capless Gas Tank"

"The best thing I can say about the Ford Focus S 4-door Sedan 5-speed manual has to be the economy. Having just completed a 1700-mile round trip from Texas, through the Rockies of Utah and back, I averaged 39 mpg. The fuel cost never exceeded $30 per fuel-up with the factory recommended 87 octane, and nearly 400 miles per refuel made for a quick ride. And to top it off, the new Focus sedan body style looked tight as it maintained speeds through mountain and country terrain. Finally, at $400 cheaper than the smaller Ford Fiesta "Automatic" SE, the Ford Focus S 5-speed sedan is a sweet deal. The cons would have to be that none of the interior compartments seem to be practical, for anything. Additionally, a couple times in the past year I was unable to insert the fuel pump into the capless gas tank; some type of design flaw that is not detailed how to counteract within the user manual."

Zippy, Stylish, Very Economical, 100% Dependable

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "As per above"

Cons: "Some blinds spots-I'm really picky"

"I cannot say enough good things about the Focus. After owning several Escort Sports, and missing them, I'd say Ford has done it again. I expect to own this super stylish and completely dependable Focus for the next 15+ years, just as I did with my last Escort - not a single mechanical hiccup until the day a text-and-driving person ran a stop light and totaled it. Gas economy is fabulous, I love the navigation panel, satalite radio, bluetooth features, and I LOVED the price I paid to drive this car off the lot. Great family car; it seats five. Fantastic safety ratings. Airbags everywhere. This car is also fun to drive!"

Hottest performance hatch value out there

By on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Pros: "Blast to drive & comfortable too."

Cons: "Would like an anhracite wheel option."

"Great performance, style, and creature comforts. The leather Recaro seats hold you in place, the controls are very logical and natural in placement and performance. I have the ST3 with moonroof and it's equipped perfectly for my taste."

Exceeded my Expectations.

By on Monday, June 11, 2012

Pros: "Fuel efficient and fun to drive"

Cons: "Lack of a trunk relase other than the key button."

"I replaced a 1206 Mustang 6 with this car and haven't looked back. I have the SE with manual Tranny, Sport and Convenience Packages, but no other whistle and bells. The mileage is constantly between 36 and 40 Mpg, it handles as well as the Mustang at reasonable speeds and is a darn sight more comfortable. I'm 6'2 and have plenty of leg and headroom, the adjustable seat and steering wheel ensure any size driver should be accommodated. As for the engine, the little beauty loves to rev and maintaining the Freeway speeds seems effortless and quiet. Simply stated, I love this car."

Problems with instrument cluster going out.

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pros: "Price, gas milage"

Cons: "Instrument panel malfunctioning"

"Instrument cluster will go out when temp is below 45 degrees. Odometer, Tachometer, all guages and LED screen will all quit working. First dealer worked on problem four days. Ford regional customer specialist suggested I go to another dealer. They have had the car four days so far. They can replicate the problem, but have no idea how to fix it. It's a shame because it could be a good car, but I would not recommend it due to these unresolved issues."

Not thrilled but could be worse

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "good mileage"

Cons: "cheap stereo, foggy windows"

"Old car needed work fast and thought better to buy now then put all the money into the other. Stereo system is very cheap compared to my Aveo. I transfer my books on cd onto one mp3 cd or flash drive so I don't have to change cd's while driving. The system won't play them because it can't handle that many tracks. No problem on my cheapy Aveo. More wind noise than I would like and windows will fog inside very quickly if I don't have the defrost on. So bad that I can't see out the windows at all until I put the defrost on! Dealer said this is very common for this model. Mileage is good for the 32 miles round trip I take for work. Handles well, but I can hear the transmission grinding from a slow start. If I press harder on the gas it goes away. Again the dealer says this is just common for the car."

I love my car!!

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Most all things"

Cons: "Kinda tight."

"First let me start by saying, I have a manual transmission. All the bad things that have been said about this car, have been for an automatic transmission. I drive pretty crazy and let my RPMs get pretty high and I am still getting 34.6 MPG, and climbing. It take 38 dollars to fill my tank and I get 440 miles until empty. The Sync is amazing! It sticks to the road very well. Great with turns and rain! I would recommend this car to all of my friends and complete strangers."

Buy if you're single, stay away if you have a fam

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas milage"

Cons: "Half second hesitation on fast acceleration"

"I'm a single guy so backseats with little room doesn't bother me. From the drivers seat my experience is that this is a fun car to drive. It doesn't have a bad transmission, it has a unique transmission. If you go to gun it it WILL have a half second delay, so you have to "call" your two lane highway passes. It has stiff (wanna-be) sporty shocks so some people don't like that. Some people don't like that the transmission isn't like every other car on the road. I love it! It's a good car, I have reliability a 7 because I've heard that the transmission fails very fast, and that's the only thing that worries me. Also the reason for the 8 on quality. It's not like driving a cloud because of the "sporty" shocks. Other than that I don't regret my purchase."

Great car

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Handling, power, comfort on long trips."

Cons: "Arm rest"

"I've owned my 2014 Ford Focus ST for a little over 6 months and have enjoyed every bit of it. The pick up power is great and my fuel mileage is around 27 MPG even with someone that has a heavy foot. I love the way this car handles. It is great in dry and wet conditions. I would definitely recommend this car. I love everything about this car except arm rest, wait there isn't one. But seriously, this is a great car."

Great car for a great price.

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "5-speed manual transmission, great price"

Cons: "could use a little more power or 6 speed manual"

"I have had my Focus for two years now and bought it brand new. It has given me no problems and is a great car to just cruise in. I have the basic model without all the bells and whistles, but it does have satellite radio as well as bluetooth capabilities for my phone. Its nice to know that a basic model would come with a speaker in it so that you can go hands free with your cell phone. Even though we can no longer say fords are totally American made and I wish we could, this car has proven to be a great car in my book."

Awful in every sense of the word

By on Thursday, May 09, 2013

Pros: "Looks,"

Cons: "Auto Transmission, SYNC, Fuel Mileage,"

"I have owned this 2013 Ford Focus Titanium for 7 months now and I wish I could go back in time and kick myself not to buy it. It's fully loaded and cost $25500. I know right for a FOCUS!! It is a company car and I bought it for the 39 MPG on Highway. I don't even come close to that. On the highway I can get 33 MPG. No matter what I do it does not get better then that. I have had it looked at and the dealer tells me that is within range for the model. Not what the sticker says... It has had a new radiator at 3000 miles, the door locks do not work all the time because of the Titanium package, you don't need to use the key FOB just touch the door handle and it unlocks or locks. The AC did not work, service had it over a week to find the problem and fix it. SYNC is very touchy and does not like iPhones with more then 100 contact numbers so Ford tells me not to download my phonebook into Sync but that still doesn't help (most be Microsoft). Don't get me started on the JUNK 6 speed transmission!! nothing smooth at all regarding this transmission. it's jerky, shifts awful, drifts back on a hill like a manual would. Great concept of the dual clutch transmission and many cars on the road have it and have no issues. Ford does not have it right and they need to fix it. The dealer agrees that he feels all the things I state but says it is the characteristics of the transmission and that is all normal for a $25500 car. This will be the last Ford I buy, you can get much more car for you dollar at other car companies. STAY AWAY!!"

very happy

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "blast to drive, quality interior and exterior"

"I have had this car for about 2 months. I have put almost 3000 miles on it so far. I purchased the hatchback, auto/6 speed/spots package/se. It has many of the sel features like the 6 speaker audio, fancy 17in black painted sports tires, candy apple paint job and fancy sports seats. Radio sounds awsome and came with 6 months of free satilite. To be honest I have not tried out ford sync yet.The car does not have ford touch. I drove a ford 150 prior to this. I purchased this to get away from the $100 fillups. Gave the 150 to hubby for a farm truck. I love the way this car is finnished inside and out. So well done and looks and feels quality in every way. I looked at the elantra and cruse and I felt the quality of the focus was superior. This car is so much more fun to drive than other cars in its class. I it drives like a much more expencive car. The suspention hugs the road and is solid. Steering incredibly responsive and love the leather covered sports steering wheel. This car is zippy, zippy zippy! Yes the trans does take time to get use to and break in but to get that kind of performance and gas miliage Ill take it! All of the fuel efficient cars drive that way and have some small quirks. I do not think people realise that to get the good miliage there might be some sacrafices if that is even the right word to use. I have driven a prius before and had experienced much more hesitation from a stoped position then in the focus. When driving the elantra I just found it very unexciting with cheap looking interior even when moving up to leather-and the car just had no power. In short I love this car and the powerful trans! Dont think you can do better for the money."

terrible transmission

By on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Pros: "none"

Cons: "bad transmission"

"the worst car i have purchased in 30 years, the transmission ruins it,"

good milage but would not purchase again

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "gas milage"

Cons: "6 speed auto transmission very quirky"

"six speed transmission is very noisy and jerky in low speeds,gas milage is great but would not buy this car again,poor resale value."

Great fun car

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage,fun to drive"

Cons: "Wish console area a little roomier"

"Bought it used when 1year old.was a little hesitent with cargo area being smaller then my escape,but after getting use to it,love,love,love,the gas mileage.people complain about trany,but it's Eco boost,get use to it.have had no problems at all,going on 2 years"

This is a great car, better than my last Toyota

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

"This car handles like a European sports car, handles, like a sports car, and is made from all high-quality parts, this could easily rival Audi quality at a Ford price. Only complaint is the sometimes jerky transmission, which may be because it is not truly an automatic transmission, it is an automatic manual transmission, which does shift harder, but achieves better fuel economy."

Great car!

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "No resting place for my elbows"

"I have never owned a compact car in my life so I decided to check one out, why not. I checked out a 2014 Ford Focus ST and man I feel in love with this car the moment I took it on a test drive. This little car is fast and handles really good, so I bought it. Now with over 15k miles on it and 8 months I still love this car. The MPGs are great, I get around 32 on the highway and 27 city. I always drive it on sport mode because it's more fun to drive that way. Bottom line, I am not disappointed with this car at all."

Great Car But Don't Get SYNCed out.

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "MPG"

Cons: "SYNC"

"The car drives great and is great in the gas mileage (30mpg). However if you are looking at this car I wouldn't advise buying the touchscreen (SYNC) add on. The SYNC system has given me nothing but problems in my Focus. Ford says they are working on the issue with SYNC but the last update helped very little."

College Student

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "techy, firm, sporty"

Cons: "small back seat, few storage areas"

"I am a college student and my Ford Focus now has 1000 miles. What can I say, I absolutely love my car. I am a car enthusiast and come from a family who has owned Fords since the 1980s. The transmission takes getting used to but once you know how it performs the ride is good. I got my Focus in silver and let me tell you it is a head-turner. Learn how the transmission shifts and you will see the power and economy work."

Frustrating car

By on Thursday, November 01, 2012

Pros: "Handling, Styling"

Cons: "Very annoying Transmission with repeat problems."

"The Ford Focus feels very upscale and modern, but the annoying, unreliable dual clutch transmission takes the joy of driving it away. The car usually just sits in my driveway because I hate driving the thing."

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "good gas mileage."

Cons: "trans. rough gear shift"

"I bought a 2013 Ford C-max and after it died 3 times and replaced battery, Ford bought it back at full price ( minus taxes). In turn I bought a 2013 Ford Focus, Not even 500 miles and it jerks every time I take off from complete stop. It makes rattling noise when I make a left or right turn and sometimes when I take off from a complete stop. Wanted to support American made products but I REGRET ever buying a Ford. All this has happened in the past 3 months. Completely disappointed with Ford. Taking car in tomorrow to dealer. Do not buy any FORD!!!!!"