• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,902 - $18,455.

10/7.1

7.4

Based on 302 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.6/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10

ARCADE BUMPER CAR

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Good Gas mileage"

Cons: "Jerks, stutters and stalls,"

"2013 Focus SE 14 MONTH old car, 12K on it. Since Thanksgiving have had transmission leaks fixed twice. Clutch slave and clutch replaced. Now the electronic throttle is shot, almost broke down on the I-95 interstate (late at night). Car jerks and stumbles at turns and acceleration. Honestly acts like an amusement park bumper car. Afraid to now take it on the highway which is a problem since this is the main way for me to get around. Only plus is I get great mileage."

Great Performer, Great Car

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "Smile factor, performance, styling, options."

Cons: "Summer tires not great for New England Winter"

"This car is a blast to drive. It is super friendly when just running down to the market but becomes a beast when challenged red light to red light. It is comfortable and has a ton of options. Although I am a techno freak and purchased the ST3 package a base ST will run only about 25k for 252hp and 270lb of torque. Best value on the market."

Excellent value for this vehicle, smart looking.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "excellent gas mileage 38.3 hwy"

Cons: "Not great in deep snow on roads."

"Have owned this vehicle for 3 years and was purchased new. The EPA estimated highway mpg was listed at 37 mpg. I am constatnly getting 38.3 mpg on the hwy with this vehicle. Not great in deep snow however since I live up north and use my Escape in winter months."

got a great deal because it was a 5-speed,

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Reason: traded for chevy truck

Pros: "mileage and overall appearance, fit and finish"

Cons: "no center console in s model"

"I am 6'3" and I was comfortable in this car. I consistently got 39-40 mpg on the highway. Most of my miles were on the highway and some city driving, 30-33 mpg. I was very surprised at the fit and finish, it was great. Very quiet inside and the only repair or factory recall was replacement of the battery and that was due to age. I especially liked the 5-speed which shifted smoothly, gave me no problems, and was a great help on the gas mileage. I would have kept driving this car for many more miles but I wanted a pickup truck at this time. I am NOT a fan of foreign made brands, they are all over-rated."

This is my wifes car. 2013 Focus Titanium 5Dr Blac

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "Drives like a go cart. Very responsive."

Cons: "cup holders too small"

"Options included are: automatic transmisson, handling package, moon roof. We have owned this car since October 2012. The transmission was my worry going into to this purchase. This transmission is flawless in my mind, shifts almost like you are driving a "standard" or manual transmission. With six speeds this 2.0 liter engine has more than enough power and acceleration. My wife & I recently took another couple along with us to dinner in this car, and they thought the car had a turbo based on the performance . This is my wifes daily driver and she absolutely loves this car, she is asked by many people who makes that car?? When she tells them its a Ford Focus they are shocked.. So I guess that means that Ford has finally stepped up their game. I would recommend the car for anyone wanting great gas mileage and modern styling and "european handling". Oh and the My Ford Touch...no worries on that either. If you can use an IPhone (smart phone), then you will find this a snap."

High mileage, but still strong!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great looking, lots of pep, interior"

Cons: "Transmission shudders"

"I own a 2012 focus with 40,000 miles and this car has been wonderful. It's a SEL hatch in sterling gray and has the premium pack. Tranny and engine are still great! It doesn't have my ford touch. But that's a good thing. This car is driven Very hard and still nothing has broken. We have owned fords for a long time, and this is one of our favorites!"

One of the BEST cars I've ever owned!

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "POWER, 6-speed, style, gas milage"

Cons: "none that I can think of...."

"I traded an 07 Mustang convertible with the Pony package on this car. I saw the car on the dealer's lot and then saw the article in Motor Trend. The fact that it is one of the first global cars was a draw, but test driving it was awesome! It's a go-cart on steroids!! It handles curves like a dream. The turbo has no lag at all, and it will respond in traffic whether you shift down or just stomp on the accelerator. My Tangerine Scream ST2 is a real "looker"! I never have trouble finding it in a parking lot. I always have people asking me about it when I'm at the service station. I've had a lot of Ford products over the year, but this is the most FUN car I think I've ever owned."

I hate it

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

"I hate that clutch Ford built into. I mean what kind of an automatic vibrates when in slow RPMs or at a slope?"

Love everything about the car except transmission

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, handles well, good power/economy"

Cons: "transmission fades/chatters accelerating from stop"

"Car is comfortable, quiet, handles wonderfully. But the clutches chatter when you accelerate quickly from a stop. We would trade the car in but the value has dropped faster than the outstanding balance so we're stuck with it unless we want to take a bath."

Great car if you're not racing it

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Comfortable, quiet, fun tech"

Cons: "No get up and go; can't make sharp turns."

"I said I don't own it because I actually lease it. I love the technology that is in my car, very convenient and comfortable drive. Low road noise and good quality interior. Exterior is susceptible to paint chips from rocks. If I could do it again I would opt for an additional protective coat. Drive is comfortable, but not much get up and go. Also does not make sharp turns very well, so tight parking places might require a few back ups. Advertised to get 38 mpg city, 47 mpg hwy. I averaged about 36 mpg with a one-hour commute, mostly highway, and I now average about 23 mpg with a 10 minute commute, no highway."

Love this car!

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage - low cost of ownership"

Cons: "Hatchback could have a better rear security shield"

"Decided to give American manufacturers a chance after owning foreign for many years. Extremely happy with the quality and low cost of owning this car after 2 plus years. Ford has ironed out the problems with Sync and now it is a seamless operating system."

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cons: "Had some difficulty with sync and my iphone."

"10"

Great Car Bad Sync

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, handling, MPG, looks."

Cons: "Not for people with car seats. Sync"

"I love the car. Runs and handles very well, very comfortable and quiet. A great drive. My only complaint is the Sync control. I have worked with a lot of technology and little of that has aggravated me more than the Sync Voice control. The female voice sounds like a snotty school teacher. Admittedly when I bought the car and saw the advertisement of thousands of commands I thought that was way too much and told the dealer I'd probably not need that many or learn all of them in by the time I was ready to trade in the car. None of the upgrades help. The only command I wish they'd put in is "Shut Up.""

great car, great deal

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "A fun car. Good looks Good ride & MPG."

Cons: "Just too close to the ground."

"My car is actually the SFE model. Worst mileage - in town only 29 mpg, best highway 42 mpg, mix of both 1500+ miles 39.9 mpg as calculated with pencil and paper. The reason for only a 7 on comfort and convenience is the car sits lower to the ground than I like. The standard low rolling resistance tires are not good for winter period, gone at the first snow of the winter. Sync works well for me though some fussy people don't like it. Sirius is OK but kind like cable TV, lots of channels but not much to listen to. I am looking at the C-Max. It's a bit taller but built on the Focus chassis and has most of the same equipment and about the same mileage."

Enjoy this car! Best ever!

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive and fuel efficient!"

Cons: "Tires for the SFE a little more expensive."

"I have the SFE package and love it. Travel 130+ miles per day and can get 42-43 mpg in the summer (combination of country, interstate and city driving)which saves me $. Sporty yet practical. I tend to drive like a hypermiller, so that makes a big difference. My husband is tall so he feels a bit cramped on long trips, but I'm comfortable."

Great vehicle good mpg and power too

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "bang for your buck"

Cons: "mpg could be a little higher"

"I drive more back roads than highway miles so im averaging around 31 mpg. I had a corolla before it averaged around 32 mpg but it had 138 hp this car has 160 hp."

Great and fun car

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, fun, good price"

Cons: "No European SD chip for American built Focus"

"MPG 45-48 hwy, 31-36 city, combined approximately 38. Having bought this car out of necessity, I can now state that this was one of the best purchases that I have made. Being a Soldier stationed in Germany, I have found this car to be reliable and fun to drive. It has the power to keep up on the Autobahn and also the agility to be able to conquer the mountain roads in the area. This car lowers to the ground as its speed climbs over 100 mph eventually reaching 130 mph without a quivver. Handling is superb, even at high speeds. The only drawback that I have about this American built Focus is not in the vehicle itself but in the navigation system ....... being stationed in Europe, it would be great if a person could get the SD card with European maps on it. Ford dealers in the states say to check the Ford dealers here and here they tell you to go check with your original dealer. Who knows, maybe eventually they will get it right. If you're not going to Europe, then this is a fun and reliable car to drive."

What a surprise!

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Pros: "A lot of car for the money. Fun, economical."

Cons: "Small back seat."

"We had owned a 2008 Honda Civic and were about to get another when we decided to test drive the ford. Better handling, MUCH more power and fun to drive. Equipped far better, excellent fuel economy And better looking."

Manual + No MFT = Inexpensive Fun

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Price, handling, fun factor, interior comfort"

Cons: "Interior room, so-so radio"

"The base SE hatch, which comes with a manual transmission and without MyFord Touch, delivers 35+ combined mpg, quick and light handling, and fun styling inside and out for a very reasonable price (ours was less than $17,000 with discounts and bargaining). The manual transmission is smooth, and the engine packs plenty of power. It's not a sports car, but still lots of fun to drive. The stock 16" wheels combine with a well-tuned suspension to provide plenty of grip and stability; the Focus corners better than our new Impreza, which also handles quite well. On the interior: dashboard and steering wheel controls are logical and easy to learn, and the information available spans a broad range. We could sync a smartphone if we had one; we don't miss the navigation, voice commands, and other tech of MFT. We're very happy with the comfortable seats and their durable cloth covers. Cabin is a bit cozy but nicely styled. Only drawbacks: base radio sound lacks depth, and the globe box connection for iPod/iPhone is clunky. Oh, and the visibility is not as good as in the Impreza, especially to the rear. But overall, we love this car for darting in and around town and for medium-length trips (up to 4 hours). If it was also a good snow car, it would be close to perfect."

Excellent Car!

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "Tons of Room, Hatchback or Civic, Tons of Tech!"

Cons: "Rear Park Assist Requires MyFord Touch..."

"Test drove this car a week ago and really love how it drives. Excellent room even for a 6'1" person. Hatchback SEL offers tons of great features and looks great. Will be test driving again to really see how it drives (missed a couple of things...) and will try the SEL version (dealer only had SE version at the time :/)."

Awesome small car. Handles great good gas mileage.

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage Styling Comfort"

Cons: "Transmission takes some getting used to."

"Car handles great and gets excellent gas mileage on the highway. Not so great in town. A little small for someone 6 foot or taller. Love the MyFord Touch and Sony Stereo Rocks. 10000 miles and no problems."

Transmission is a deal breaker

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Style, handling, efficiency, and space."

Cons: "DCT Transmission"

"I've had this car for 3 years now and if it wasn't for the automatic transmission I would have rated all 8 or better. I have had 4 trans reflashes to address the issue and only minor improvement. The clutch shudder is so severe at time it effects the acceleration of the vehicle. I work in the auto industry and regularly benchmark vehicles and this is the worst transmission I have seen. Not all vehicles will have this issue but it's not worth the risk in my opinion."

auto transmission problems

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage is good, constant 30mpg"

Cons: "Dependability may be a problem if i keep this car."

"Many auto trans problems. Dual clutch assembly replaced at 17,000 miles. It is now shuttering bad again at 31,500 miles. Carpet mat hold downs pulling out of carpet. Dealer says not covered??"

Rented a new Focus

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

I don't own this car

"I rented a 2012 Focus that died on me last weekend. Car would not start. Why? I don't know! Want to know what the car rental company replaced the car with?...A DIFFERENT 2012 FOCUS. This car didn't have any problems starting, but I was disgusted with the My Ford Touch. I really wasn't sure the MFT was as bad as people say. The thing was working fine for the first day, and it was actually fun to use at first, but than the thing would freeze and audio wouldn't turn off. I put up with it for a day before I called the car rental to tell them to just give me something that wasn't made by Ford. They replaced it with a boring but problem free Nissan. The Focus is definitely a car I will never want to own."

Sportiest Sedan Exterior Meets Economy

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Economy, Sportiness, Powertrain, Purchase Price"

Cons: "Interior Compartments, Capless Gas Tank"

"The best thing I can say about the Ford Focus S 4-door Sedan 5-speed manual has to be the economy. Having just completed a 1700-mile round trip from Texas, through the Rockies of Utah and back, I averaged 39 mpg. The fuel cost never exceeded $30 per fuel-up with the factory recommended 87 octane, and nearly 400 miles per refuel made for a quick ride. And to top it off, the new Focus sedan body style looked tight as it maintained speeds through mountain and country terrain. Finally, at $400 cheaper than the smaller Ford Fiesta "Automatic" SE, the Ford Focus S 5-speed sedan is a sweet deal. The cons would have to be that none of the interior compartments seem to be practical, for anything. Additionally, a couple times in the past year I was unable to insert the fuel pump into the capless gas tank; some type of design flaw that is not detailed how to counteract within the user manual."