2013 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $15,431 - $15,956.

10/7.1

7.4

Based on 289 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10
    7.6/10

Good for some. Not for me.

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

Pros: "Good mileage. Sporty."

Cons: "Not meant for really cold or snowy weather."

"This car is ok. Very good gas mileage. Very sporty and sharp. Low profile tires are a pain in the winter. Always needing air. Rides low not so good for any significant snow."

Huge mistake! Avoid the Ford Focus Electric car

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Cons: "Absolutely unreliable and very poor service"

"This review applies to the Ford Focus Electric car. This is, or was, my commute car. For the first three months, I was very satisfied with it. Then, without warning, the car came to a dead stop in a high traffic area. All of the electrical systems were on. In fact, I could not shut any of them off. The battery was nearly at a full charge. The car simply would not move. We were fortunate to be rescued before someone smashed into the back of us. There were some close calls! The dealership has no idea how to repair my car. I've been told the onboard diagnostics showing 30 different trouble codes. When they check each one individually, no problem is found. However, the car shuts down if they attempt to drive it. The dealership is waiting for Ford to send an engineer because they have no idea what to do. That's encouraging! I don't want this car back. I have 2 years, 9 months left on a 3-year lease but that car is too dangerous to drive again. I know a few Nissan Leaf owners who love their cars, but I picked the Ford. HUGE MISTAKE!!!"

The price is excellent

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pros: "I was able to purchase the car for under 15,000."

Cons: "listed in the review."

"11/01 I purchased a ford focus and the car lasted until 7/12. I purchased the car for $12,000. This car served me well, although I must admit in 2006 I had to replace the transmission after a car accident, when someone rammed me in the back. Based on the car's history, I was eager to purchase another ford focus for 2012. Unfortunately, this car is horrible. Firstly, there is very little trunk space. Secondly, there is absolutely, no leg room in the back, but perhaps what is most important is that the transmission is awful. I live in N.C. which is very hilly and this car has problems when climbing hills and accelerating into merging traffic, which is important in this state, since the merge lanes are short and abrupt. There is more that I can say that is wrong w/this car, but those are my most important issues. I must admit that I was rather surprised that they did not offer the car in navy blue, which is a standard color. I know this is a minor issue."

Noticing Issues After 6 Months of Ownership

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "Good Looks, Handling"

Cons: "Basically Most Everything Else"

"Bought this 2012 SEL Hatch in July without knowing what problems we would run into later on. This car is VERY aggravating. Whenever I try to accelerate, the transmission shudders from a stop, and I'm noticing a very bad sounding "whine" coming from the transmission at about 2900RPM. Since I'm used to 300hp crossovers, this car is very slow and cannot keep up with traffic. At 44,000 miles, this is a bad sign of how bad it will be in the future. But besides the engine and transmission, there are a couple gripes and a couple likes. I have to say first that the seats are AWFUL! I can't take long rides with out getting severe back pain! Also, the cabin is pretty small. Now onto the good. The vehicle looks great! And is a very good handler through the corners. The Sync system though isn't useful at all, but the text message read out is pretty awesome! The reason we bought this car is because our last Ford saved our lives and we have had 3 Fords in a row and feel loyal to the company, but definately not to this car..."

GREAT CAR EXCEPT FOR WHEN DRIVING MANUAL OPTION

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

"Great car to drive unless you want to drive in manual transmission. Causes transmission to shift hard and the whole car jerks. Even happens after you go back into automatic for some time. Will be buying most likely a Honda Accord coupe V6 in near future becase of this issue."

2012 Hatchback Sport, 48k, never been to the shop.

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "MPG, handling, reliability, a true Hot Hatch"

Cons: ""Automatic" transmission takes time to get used to"

"I bought this as a commuter, but now it's my go to car. Yes the "automatic" transmission takes a little getting used to. It's actually a dual clutch manual with computer controlled shifting. The software is a lot smoother starting and going through the gears than most people with a clutch. Great fuel economy. Here at 5,000 feet I get over 35 mpg around town and 39-41 on the interstate to/from work (at 75-85 mph). Carries two 6'+ adults and two and a half kids with ease. Takes seconds to fold the rear seats and convert to a small wagon. The Sport package includes sticky tires so it handles like it's on rails. My nephew calls it a go kart with a roof."

good interior

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "great gas milage"

Cons: "dual transmission , auto and manual didnt like it"

"great milage"

BEWARE...Do not buy this car...not safe...

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "None"

Cons: "Everything"

"0 out of 10 is how I rate this car. It accelerates poorly and erratically...makes loud grinding and rattling noises. At first I was only having these issues during certain driving maneuvers(making left turns or going over railroad tracks or speed bumps) now they occur at all times. The dealership recommended that the clutch be replaced but Ford Motor Company will not pay for the fix. I do not feel safe driving this car. The resale value is so low I can even trade it in without paying thousands of dollars."

Poor engineering

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Reason: Lease expired

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "poor radius turning, slow pick up from start"

"My driveway ends on a slight uphill on a blind curve. This vehicle had difficulty getting out of the driveway in snowy conditions. Once I stopped at the end of the drive, I was stuck if there was ice or snow on the ground. To make matters worse,in order to turn OFF the traction control, which you have to do when you're stuck on ice, you have to navigate through the entire menu to try to locate the proper item under Info-->Settings. Most cars just have a button you can press to turn off traction control temporarily until you're no longer stuck. I also found it slow to respond to the gas. I would put my foot on the gas and the car wouldn't move, gave it a bit more gas... still no movement. A bit more gas and I would end up peeling out."

Not a VIBE by any means!!!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "good gas mileage"

Cons: "not much space or mobility"

"Although the gas mileage is good (36 mpg), there isn't much space between a passenger's head and ceiling of in door roof. When hot (80 to 90), must have the air conditioning powering full blast unless it seems heat is radiating from the dashboard. It was mentioned, "This happens when it is a black interior." I really believe this happens because the front window is slanted very close to the dashboard. To get the bed (back of the car) flat, must pull the back seats out their security pins. After doing this, the back passenger seat goes securely behind the front seats which do not allow the seats to move back or forward. The seal around the windows have not stayed on securely."

See if you qualify for