2013 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $15,398 - $15,905.

10/7.1

7.3

Based on 317 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.6/10

Sync with nav. excellent,better than uconnect .

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pros: "price could be lower."

Cons: "cup holders should be a little bigger."

"The transmission is a learning tranny. and works great. People do not seem to know hot to use the sync system It works great. It is a small car ride is fine. sports suspension works very well. I have the 2013 titanium hatchback."

POOR TRANSMISSION

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Interior, Exterior, Handling, MPG"

Cons: "TRANSMISSION"

"Ive only had this car two weeks, and I have put about 500 miles on it. I would love this car if Ford wouldn't have put a transmission in this car that isn't worth anything. The transmission already grinds and shudders on me like many other people.. Just Google "2014 Ford Focus automatic transmission problems" and you will see what I mean.. Save yourself the trouble, and possibly getting stranded and look it up.."

Really Poor Quality

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Good Style, Looks Fancy"

Cons: "HORRIBLE TRANSMISSION AND QUALITY"

"Ford really messed up with the transmission on this model year of the Focus. You literally feel like you are on a roller coaster. I have had a new clutch system and a brand new transmission put in (florida lemon law) and still have problems. If you want a smooth running, reliable car, don't get a 2012 Focus."

beautiful styling ,

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "nice pickup,nice body styling"

Cons: "plug outlet poorly designed ,transmission loud"

"liked the car initially ,beautiful styling, but the plug outlet is placed behind the cup holder and if you have a drink of soda pop and sloshes into the plug it will short it out , they will charge you $45 to replace the fuse. The transmission failed several times, wouldn't go in reverse and was loud when shifting. It didn't have Bluetooth, which should be mandatory for all cars. Body is low to the ground and no handle on the ceiling to help you out. a lot of space in the trunk , I carried a 55" flat screen tv without a problem."

handling that saved my life

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "as it states great price and fun to drive"

Cons: "needs some place to keep my pens and phone #s."

"this car has never given me a problem. I have been into the dealership for all of the check ups. on time, that can save you money and your life. I was driving on 95 in an area of new construction. one of the large barriers was sticking out. my rear tire caught the protrusion and tossed the car up. I was able to control and pull to the side of the road. thank you ford"

Little red focus

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Great mps fun to drive"

Cons: "Lots of funny noises and poping"

"I bought my 2012 ford focus used with 8000 miles on it. when I first got it there was a thumping in the front end after 3 trips to the dealership I got a new strut. Other than that I have had it hit 53 mpg on the highway. it is lots of fun to drive in the mountains or any where for that matter."

I love my ST2!

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Engine "pep" Tangerine Scream color. Recaro seats"

Cons: "Lower gas mileage than projected"

"I traded a V6 Mustang for my ST2. Very "peppy" turbocharged engine. Sync has worked well so far. Great on long drives. Gas mileage does not match what is projected on the window sticker."

Great car for the money

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "fuel milage, great ride for smaller car."

Cons: "None so far"

"Traded my 2006 Focus SE for this new Focus SE and so far it meeting all my expectations. Had to take someone to the Orlando airport which was 190 miles roundtrip and average 39.1 mpg."

My 3rd car ever (after driving 20 years)

By on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pros: "Head turner, fun to drive, stylish, gas mileage"

"Sleek, stylish, very reactive and comfortable ride. Turns heads, and makes you love to drive again."

Loving it

By on Friday, July 15, 2011

Pros: "Quality interior, supportive leather seats, My Ford Touch, gas mileage, drives great"

Cons: "Could use one more small storage area up front"

"Finally a small car with excellent gas mileage that has both style and a quality interior. The 6-speed automatic manual transmission has been smooth and flawless and I especially like the Sport mode. The My Ford Touch (MFT) has also performed without error for me. The soft touch material, upscale materials in the Titanium, excellent supportive leather seating, along with driving performance have made the Ford Focus Titanium an successful alternative to pricier semi-luxury vehicles along with improved gas mileage. The hatch, while 7 inches shorter than the Sedan, provides the same interior room and much more versatility when it comes to storage space. I found everything I wanted option wise without having to give up gas mileage to get it and at a substantially lower price. I was initially worried that this car wouldn’t have enough power, but I’ve found the performance of the 160 horsepower engine to me more than adequate when it comes to power. I’m very pleased with my purchase."

Great car for commuting and for road trips!

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "affordable, good mileage, big trunk, stylish, fun to drive"

Cons: "needs a little more room in the backseat, SYNC needs a hearing aid"

"I bought this car for commuting, then found I like to drive it on the weekends also. My wife likes to drive it and I've received many positive compliments from others who see it and admire it. I thought it would get good mileage and I was right. I has been averaging 34 MPG during some bad commute days - two hours each way every work day. It has nice features and a few little quirks. The transmission makes a little noise when shifting at low speeds, but no problems on the freeway. The interior is nice, but a little cramped for adults in the back seat. The trunk is HUGE. The styling is nice. SYNC needs a little work to understand commands - especially when there is road noise. Also, the turn-by-turn navigation just can't keep up when downtown or driving near high-rise buildings -- all minor stuff overall."

A very good car for commuters

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system, no cheap feel."

Cons: "Lack of storage, a little pricey for a compact car"

"I commute 45 miles each way to work. I needed a car that would get good mileage and be comfortable to sit in for extended periods. The Focus is both of these and much more. I am currently averaging 37 mpg (3 fill ups so far). The front seats are very comfortable, but the driver seat lacks an adjustable lumbar support (in the SE version I own). I use a small towel roll to make up the difference. The car has plenty of power, accelerating and shifting smoothly. The audio system (6 speaker with SIRIUS) is more than adequate for the average audiophile, reproducing wonderful sound. The hand controls on the steering wheel were confusing at first, but now are very convenient and intuitive. The only ammenity that I find lacking in this car is the absence of "cubbies." I have no real good place to put all of my... goodies. The glove box is very spacious. The center console is smallish. The cup holders in front are smallish. The door panels seem to have adequate space. But that is it. Can I live with this small flaw? Absolutely. It the car a blast to drive? You're darn tootin' it is. It handles corners like more expensive BMW's or VW's. It feels substancial and refined, yet nimble. Nothing about this car seems cheep or poorly made. The two words I can say: Buy one!"

Ford should have produced more of these babies!

By on Friday, July 22, 2011

Pros: "$tops on a dime and so quite the built in phone is easy blue tooth cool!"

Cons: "View of surrounding traffic hard to judge due to sleek styling, get used to using mirrors."

"You will need to rely on the mirrors...the view from the cockpit is limited to the rear but Ford did provide dual rear view mirrors to help. Interior appointments are more like the high end mid-sized although you will need to dish out more $ if you want electric seats. A pump style seat lever is all the SEL brings to the plate but how many times does one need to adjust the seating to gain mpg and styling the Focus SEL Hatchback is packing. I am stoked to have bought the only one within 500miles of Salt Lake or Tallahassee."

Used 2012 Focus SEL Sedan

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "The Interior, Exterior, Radio and Exceleration."

Cons: "Nothing for 5,000 so far."

"I bought the car at the end of October. I got it used and acordding to car facts it was a rental car. I got the car at 32,400 miles and currently have 38,000. I drive 75 + miles a day 7 days a week at times and I honestly love this car. I had a 2006 Toyota Corolla prior to this car and I liked the Toyota but it always felt cramped and like I never had enough power to get on and off the highway. I have had the car for 2 months now with a lot of driving and having people in the back seat regularly. So far I have not had an issue with their not being enoughg room even though one of my friends is 6'3" and had plenty of head room. I love the SYNC system and learned it very qucikly. I do understand where people are coming from with the tranny. But I have not had any issues with it. It accelerates very nicely and has incredible brakes. I love this car and enjoy the leather seats, moon roof,SYNC and it looks like a sports car instead of a gas sipper. I plan to keep it for quite some time and I LOVE this car!!!"

Overall, it's a Good Car, not what I want.

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "Looks, SYNC ,MPG, Price, Handling, Interior is A++"

Cons: "Dual Clutch Auto, Comfort, Back Seat Foot Room"

"I owned a 2007 Ford Explorer 4x4 before I bought this, and the change has been drastic! It is a very nice car. I test drove a 2012 Honda Civic Coupe, as well as a 2013 Mazda3, and this performs better than both. The handling and steering is very impressive, with wide tires, it grips the corners very well. I feel very confident with the steering, however the Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission(DCAT) can be the best/worst thing for the Focus. It grinds, and throws you in to 2nd gear, unsuspectingly, at low speeds, and has a pretty hard time, stutering at sudden "stop and goes"(i.e california stops), it very well drives like a manual transmission(due to the dual cluth automatic), which like I said, can be a good and bad thing. I also should mention that due to the fact that there is not a torque converter- the Focus can roll backwards on an incline. The car will hold on the brake for 3-5 seconds after letting off the brake in such instances(until you accelerate) but if you don't accelerate, it will let off the brake and you will roll backwards. It doesn't always detect there is an incline(it's pretty good about it) but I've run into instances where I was worried I'd roll into the car behind me because he was too close). The hill mode is nice, esp when going down an incline, instead of braking, push this button, and the transmission will downshift when it detects the car is gaining speed down a a hill. The car looks awesome, and I constantly get complements! But I miss the height and comfort of my Explorer. I would trade back down to one if I wasn't so upside down on this purchase. The PRO's outweigh the CON's, but you will have to learn how to drive this car- Once you do it is a blast to drive. But if you pick this car apart, like I did the first six months of ownership, you will hate his car. It is a very affordable car, and with cheaper cars, you can't hold the same expectations as you would a Cadillac. It's not going to happen for under $25,000K in this class, but you can get a car with alot of gadgets and cool styling! I drove an Explorer before this, so I'm going to obviously rate the Comfort Low, but if your used to it, then you'll love it. Fords are very reliable with my experiences. And the Quality of the Focus is MUCH higher than that of it's competiters(Cruze, Dart, Corolla, Civic, Mazda3). On a side note, There are not alot of cup holders on this car. 2 on the console, and the doors have a space for a water bottle. And the Console is very small compared to the one I was used to."

Good vehicle - good value - good gas mileage

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "good value, good gas mileage, good ride"

Cons: "back leg room, cup holders, dash storage"

"My wife and I bought the 4 dr sedan model without all the bells and whistles several months ago with just basic options. Paid extra for the more fuel efficient model. We also got the tan interior (still has some black and gray in it), we didn't want black and were tired of gray. We chose this car after looking at Toyotas, Nissans, Subarus, and Hyundais. This car was more reasonably priced except for the Hyundai Elantra which beat it. The Elantra beat out the Focus in my mind for value with more bells and whistles being standard, and a much better warranty but we do not have a Hyundai dealer close by (nearest is an hour away) so the Ford won out. So far we have been pleased with the car overall. The ride is smooth, it is much quieter inside than our last car which was in the same class. Pros: Smooth and quiet ride - trunk has good space - front and back seats are comfortable good leg room in the front radio/clock controls different but not hard to use - controls on the steering wheel for radio and digital information readout are convenient - price was less expensive than most other cars in this class - gas mileage around town has been great - 31.2 miles per gallon our highest so far (no trips on open highway miles yet to check that) - enjoyable to drive easy to see spot mirrows on the outside mirrors - body styling - less expensive 16 inch tires instead of the bigger more expensive tires found on other models - good interior and instrument lighting Cons: Not much leg room in the back seat - adio/clock controls take up so much space - standard radio okay but could be better soundwise - no storage space in middle of dash/console like other cars we've had - cup holders in front console too close together for large fast-food cups to fit without hitting each other - cup holders in back built into door - won't take anything but small cup - are awkward - automatic transmission is jerky at times when in low gear - when you start adding on options this car can be pretty expensive - no light for ignition switch We like this car but the cons I've listed make us wonder if we should have bought the Elantra instead. If Ford would improve the things I listed above and make some of the additional options standard and icreased the warranty this car could have taken the Car of the Year Award and would sell like hotcakes. Overall we would recomment this car if you are looking for one is this class."

My Touch makes life EASY

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "Great technology. Fun to Drive. Great fuel economy."

Cons: "needs more storage nooks for devices in the front."

"A lot of people have made negative comments about the Ford My Touch system. After owning the system for 5,000 miles. I have a very different opinion. Every review I have read has missed the whole point of this system. The 8.5 inch touch screen is the SECONDARY way to control things. The PRIMARY way is to use your VOICE. With out taking your hands off of the wheel, you have complete control of the radio, climate control, your phone and nav if you have it. On a typical car, if you are listening to station 10 on Sirius and you want to switch to 117, you have to punch in the numbers or spin a knob. With My Touch, I just say, "117". While the back seat is tight, the front is not cramped at all. It feels like one of the widest cars in its class. My only quibble is that the dual clutch trans is clearly programmed biased toward fuel economy and can be slow to downshift sometimes."

Stay Away From This Car

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "Styling is dead on, Lot's of features for price"

Cons: "Transmission has issues that Ford won't resolve."

"I purchased this 2012 Focus about 3 weeks ago and while it drove nice off the dealer lot after it warmed up and during city driving the car began to shudder when taking off from a stop. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the shudder I was feeling, They contacted Ford and they stated it was normal. How many of you would care to purchase a car that shudders when taking off from a stop and then would you consider it normal? I talked to Ford Customer Service and that was just a waste of a phone call. In a time when we really have to pinch our pennies it just shock's me that a company such as Ford would not offer any assistance to the customer. There is also issues on some with the electronic power steering and people are finding they have to fight hard to get these vehicles fixed. As a new potential owner do you really want to take a chance and hope that you get a good one? Ford stated that thes issues are isloated incidents but yet they turn right around and say it is normal. How can something be a isloated incident and normal at the same time? Ford has lost my business and while this car is very nice in the looks and style department if you have issues after 2 days off the lot and they refuse to fix it I doubt it is really worth owning."

Deserves a test drive

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "fit/finish of interior. Sporty looks."

Cons: "None as of yet.."

"Interior fit/finish is excellent. In the first 5 K miles I did have my Dual clutch transmission /computer re-flashed due to some shifting issues. Those were solved. Car is fun to drive with the DCT transmission. I am averaging 32.4 MPG. Sync/my touch work fine, no issues. Sporty fun little car."

An affordable car with so many good features!

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "Good value, a lot of features for price"

Cons: "Center console is smallish"

"I bought the 2013 Ford Focus SE model in tuxedo black with automatic transmission. My overall initial assessment was that the car was literally packed with buttons, perhaps too many even. The Ford My Touch and Synch offer many valuable tools for the driver and connect with your phone or other devices for hands free use while driving. After starting it up and driving it I found the handling and power of this model to be superior to any other vehicle I tested in that class. I thought it was more ergonomic, fitted my 5' 10" and 217 lb body well, was responsive, nimble and just felt classy. Having done my research I knew it rated exceptionally by every testing agency, so it was not a surprise that it performed as well as it did. Compared to every other vehicle I drove in that class, the Focus was tops in my book hands down. I bought it and have put 3,000 miles on it, without any incident of note. I am more than pleased with the vehicle, and having owned many cars and trucks in my lifetime, I would have to say the Focus is in the running for being one of the best. I consider it just a fraction off of the BMW 3 series vehicle I owned, and superior in many ways to other, more exotic, cars I own. Ford hit a home run with this car, and I am very happy to own the focus."

Great with the manual transmission

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, good fuel economy"

Cons: "rear leg room, folding of rear seats"

"We have the SE sports package sedan with 5 spd manual transmission. The stick shift is sweet. I have been driving manuals for 30 years and this is probably better than any. The car handles superbly! Fuel economy has been very good as we don't drive over 70 mph. 38 highway,34 mixed driving . We love the styling of the interior and exterior; however, improvements can be made for comfort. The rear seat room needs a couple of inches more. I am tall and though there is ample legroom for the driver, the center console juts in a little too much for right knee comfort. Also the rear headrests should fold in so that the rear seat can fold properly. Overall so far, we love this car. We think it was an excellent value!"

Good Value

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good mileage, nice interior for the class"

Cons: "Transmission requires some acclimation"

"My vehicle is 6 months old now. Mileage has averaged 30 mpg with a high proportion of short distance, cold engine drives, and my average speed on the highway is 77 (you get better mileage at 60-65, but it's no slouch at the higher speeds). Highway mileage is usually around 34-35 mpg. For the class of vehicle, the interior is actually quite well made and seems solid; an order of magnitude better than the 2011 model, which just feels cheap. Seats are comfortable and upgraded stereo system is nice. The biggest complaints you hear are about the transmission, an "automatic/manual" hybrid. If you have never driven a manual, it will take some getting used to and you may not like it. If you have, then you will be comfortable with it and not bothered by the "quirks." for example, it does not accelerate or shift gears as smoothly or quickly as an automatic. I think Ford would have been well served to provide a true automatic transmission option for those who have never driven anything else, but I drove a manual for years and have no problem with it."

Great MPG. Transmission is not perfect, yet.

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "See review."

Cons: "See review."

"Pros: MPG (>42 driving from LA to SD at 65-70). Driving feels very solid, city or mountains. It handles turns, mountains very well/smooth, better than I thought. A lot of power going up hill (160hp). Its hilly-drive function button on the autoshift handle is quite easy and neat feature that I find very helpful when you go frequent from up to down and to up hills. Drive CA hwy-1 from Santa Babara to SF, the average MPG is ~37, including all the hilly area. Ex. and Int. design is a great improvement over the previous models. Very quite in regular city/hwy drive. You do hear the engine sound significantly when you step hard on the gas, e.g. going uphill. I really love it in-and-out. The build quality is pretty solid for the price. Cons: Transmission is not exactly perfect, yet. Mine is pretty good. Does not have any problem at all on flat or going downhill. However, when it goes steep uphill, it does take a bit harder on gas to get a smooth start. This is the only place I would take any point out of this beautiful little amazing car. Hope Ford can get this sorted out with a new firmware update."

Ignore the negative reviews about this car!!!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Ford didn't take a bailout"

Cons: "People who abuse kbb..lol"

"I was looking at all the negative comments about this car and there all from the same group of people who hate on Ford just look at the user names at the top. Hate Ford,GM and a few made up names all from somebody in North Carolina (nc) lol it took me a min to catch on hope this review helps. Ford rules because it didn't take bail out money."

Ford ST Review

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Power, performance, quality of materials FUN"

Cons: "Turning radius is a bit wide"

"This is not a Ford Focus review, it is for the ST, an entirely different vehicle, different engine, suspension, you really can't include the ratings with regular Focus ratings. The ST is, in short, an amazing little car. I have owned two BMW M3s, an Audi TT, an Audi S4 and a Porsche 911. So my standards are pretty high. This car is amazingly fast and torquey no lag, incredible throttle response, handles like it's on rails, smooth shifting. For the money, incredible performance, quality of materials and the fun factor is off the charts. My only complaint which is pretty minor is that it has a fairly big turning radius, something to be aware of when you're trying to do a tight turn in a parking lot. It's not a car for someone who doesn't understand how to drive a fast car or doesn't like a stick, but if you love a sporty car that makes you laugh out loud when you run into a twisty road, this is your ride!"