2013 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $15,415 - $15,888.

10/7.1

7.4

Based on 301 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.6/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10

Fun and affordable

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "fair price and a comfortable ride"

Cons: "sync can be difficult to use if no one shows you"

"I've had my focus for the last 7 months. I am a single guy and it has been a great car so far. Very comfortable, fun and affordable. I achieved 40 mpg on my way to San Fransico, with 3 other people in the car. They mentioned that they were comfortable as well and thats almost a 600 mile round-trip. Overall I am impressed with the quality, the quietness and efficiency of the vehicle."

Love it to the max.

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Smooth ride, quiet, Design, Quality"

Cons: "transmission is unique, and patience is needed."

"A very nimble road feel, but long wheelbase and suspension feels smooth and quiet on rough roads. Very fast pickup when needed, and 6 spd Automatic Transmission is great and smooth shifting. Easy/Fun to drive in all kinds of traffic. With only 2000 mi driven mine is getting MPG as advertised. Paint and trim quality very high, perfect. "Feels" as good as '98 Honda Prelude I once had. I am impressed with the Pricing, a great deal $ !"

Great car, but a few major issues.

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Reason: Moved back to area where I needed 4 wheel drive, had some issues with Focus.

Pros: "A lot for the price, luxurious interior for Ford"

Cons: "Clutch issues ruin everything else"

"Ford did a great job with the redesign of the Focus in 2012. The car comes with options of a ton of great technology that other competitors at the price do not offer and driving the car is pure fun. Not to mention, it gets great gas mileage. I was always shocked at how good my mpgs were! However, because this engine was redesigned in 2012, the clutch is plagued with issues. I even had it replaced under warranty (with the same clutch by Ford) and it did nothing to fix the grinding noises and junting that happens when the car switches gears (I drive an automatic). It makes you think something is wrong with the car even though Ford claims it is not. Something is wrong. It also vibrates when idling and Ford claims there is no fix for these issues. All the little things about this car are great, but Ford messed up with the design of this engine. I finally gave in and went back to owning a BMW because I knew they would never put a clutch in a vehicle that could not be fixed. The value of this vehicle also depreciated greatly compared to other car brands over a two year period."

Best car in its class

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

"The Good: I have owned the Focus for almost two years. Immediately after buying it, my girlfriend and I took it on a road trip from Ohio to California and back. The car is roomy enough, quiet, gets great gas mileage, is fun to drive, very direct steering and is loaded with features. I perform the regular maintenance myself and have had to do nothing but three oil changes, so my two year cost of ownership is a whopping $120. I average about 34.5 mpg with about 70%/30% city to highway which it well above the EPA estimates. The Bad: I have needed the clutch assembly to be replaced at 18,000 miles (its the auto) but Ford took care of it under warranty. No problems since and from what most are saying now the problem was fixed after seal replacements. Mine was on of the first years in a new revamp, so you have to expect difficulties especially on a new drivetrain. Overall: This has been a great car compared to my 2002 Corolla. It is unbeatable in its class for style, comfort and overall reliability. Do not be afraid of reviews on the automatics, most of the reviews are leftover from when the car was released and the ST stole the show. Take it for a test drive and you will be happy with making the decision of getting yourself one too."

Fun to drive & great mileage

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Very fun to drive. Relatively fast, great handling"

Cons: "Sync has a steep learning curve due to features"

"I swore off Ford in the 1990s, but this car changed my mind. I tested it against the Hyundai Elantra, Chevy Cruze and Mazda 3 (couldn't get past that freakish front-end smile on the 2013). Initial quality problems: zero. PROS: Very fun to drive. Relatively fast and great handling. Sync system (NOT the Touch system) seemed a bit gimmicky at first, but has fantastic, useful features that let you keep your eyes on the road. Voice and turn-by-turn instructions work VERY well. To date, I average over 36mpg highway and constantly 32+ in the city-with a heavy foot. The manual stick has a high-end feel. There are so many features that aren't usually mentioned in the press: auto lights, intermittent speed-based wipers, auto sound level based on speed, auto reverse wipers (on hatch) when backing, etc. Oil changes based on its oil quality measuring system, not mileage (up to 10,000). CONS: Sync has a steep learning curve because of all the features. Ford could definitely improve on its instructions. Steering is twitchy on long, flat interstate drives (but absolutely perfect in city and curves). Blind spots on rear, split mirrors help this."