2012 Ford Focus

7.1

Based on 497 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

7.4/10
    7.2/10
    7.4/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10

Best car in its class

By on Monday, April 7, 2014

"The Good: I have owned the Focus for almost two years. Immediately after buying it, my girlfriend and I took it on a road trip from Ohio to California and back. The car is roomy enough, quiet, gets great gas mileage, is fun to drive, very direct steering and is loaded with features. I perform the regular maintenance myself and have had to do nothing but three oil changes, so my two year cost of ownership is a whopping $120. I average about 34.5 mpg with about 70%/30% city to highway which it well above the EPA estimates. The Bad: I have needed the clutch assembly to be replaced at 18,000 miles (its the auto) but Ford took care of it under warranty. No problems since and from what most are saying now the problem was fixed after seal replacements. Mine was on of the first years in a new revamp, so you have to expect difficulties especially on a new drivetrain. Overall: This has been a great car compared to my 2002 Corolla. It is unbeatable in its class for style, comfort and overall reliability. Do not be afraid of reviews on the automatics, most of the reviews are leftover from when the car was released and the ST stole the show. Take it for a test drive and you will be happy with making the decision of getting yourself one too."

Great MPG,Sporty,Quick,Easy to Maneuver

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Stereo,fuel economy,handling,engine power,6 speeds"

Cons: "seats are a bit firm and not power or heated seats"

"I bought this after researching and reading a lot of good about the Ford Focus. It fits just about anywhere when parking, easy to handle, steers great,takes corners very well. Seats have low center of gravity which gives it a sporty feel. The six speed transmission does well and shifts smoothly. As with any car when sitting in traffic a lot, I recommend using the parking brake and taking the trans out of gear, which keeps the trans cool and saves fuel. Mild acceleration and 5 mph slower than posted speeds will lead to very nice fuel economy. I get an average highway of 39mpg highway and 42mpg city. I love this model and I prefer the hatchback over the sedan due to increased space and the roomy feel inside. The styling makes it look fast and attractive. Race Red is my color of choice because being a smaller vehicle I want to be seen on the road which may help avoid a collision later."

Great Vehicle for the Price Range

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, fuel efficent, reliable, cost"

Cons: "Door lock set up, Sony premium sound system"

"First let me start by saying its a very fun car. Has a large amount of torque for a small hatchback. Even though the car is classified as a compact car it has a fair amount of room. I am 5'11" and fit well with room to spare. The Recardo seats are very nice and I find them quite comfortable but I know they are not for everyone, they are made for the driving enthusiast and hug you, not everyone likes that but it's just a matter of preference, you will have to sit in one and judge for yourself. I really only have 2 complaints about the car and they are just because I tend to be, well, picky. First would be the power lock set up, there is one button in the center of the dash to lock and unlock with no manual way to unlock or lock the door (this seems to be more and more common in newer vehicles) I just don't like it, I can't really say anything more about that. The second would be the upgraded Sony sound system, most will probably find it pleasing, it is much better then a standard factory radio but for my taste the sub is lacking and the bluetooth audio doesn't seem to go loud enough, again this is something you will have to listen for yourself, everyone's ears are different and most don't tend to be as picky as mine are when it comes to radios. Otherwise it is a great car, get's decent gas mileage, and has not given me any problems as of yet. I can not stress enough fun, fun, fun car that is economical enough to be used as a daily driver without breaking the bank to fill the tank."

Ford Focus SEL

By on Friday, March 6, 2015

Pros: "Sporty handling and gas mileage."

Cons: "Back seat room is tight."

"The SEL trim (now discontinued) was a great value for the money. The option for leather interior is unique in the compact range."

Used 2012 Focus SEL Sedan

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "The Interior, Exterior, Radio and Exceleration."

Cons: "Nothing for 5,000 so far."

"I bought the car at the end of October. I got it used and acordding to car facts it was a rental car. I got the car at 32,400 miles and currently have 38,000. I drive 75 + miles a day 7 days a week at times and I honestly love this car. I had a 2006 Toyota Corolla prior to this car and I liked the Toyota but it always felt cramped and like I never had enough power to get on and off the highway. I have had the car for 2 months now with a lot of driving and having people in the back seat regularly. So far I have not had an issue with their not being enoughg room even though one of my friends is 6'3" and had plenty of head room. I love the SYNC system and learned it very qucikly. I do understand where people are coming from with the tranny. But I have not had any issues with it. It accelerates very nicely and has incredible brakes. I love this car and enjoy the leather seats, moon roof,SYNC and it looks like a sports car instead of a gas sipper. I plan to keep it for quite some time and I LOVE this car!!!"

Ford should have produced more of these babies!

By on Friday, July 22, 2011

Pros: "$tops on a dime and so quite the built in phone is easy blue tooth cool!"

Cons: "View of surrounding traffic hard to judge due to sleek styling, get used to using mirrors."

"You will need to rely on the mirrors...the view from the cockpit is limited to the rear but Ford did provide dual rear view mirrors to help. Interior appointments are more like the high end mid-sized although you will need to dish out more $ if you want electric seats. A pump style seat lever is all the SEL brings to the plate but how many times does one need to adjust the seating to gain mpg and styling the Focus SEL Hatchback is packing. I am stoked to have bought the only one within 500miles of Salt Lake or Tallahassee."

Just a very fun little car to drive...

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "w/FWD, handles well in sowy/icy weather."

Cons: "Moonroof inside cover comes just slightly open."

"Handles well. Excellent response. Takes a corner like it's on rails. The 2.0L engine is surprisingly quick w/good power. Really a sharp looking vehicle in Sterling Grey metallic w/the moon-roof & hatchback. 28 - 32 mpg. Just a very fun little car to drive."

My first Ford Focus

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, sync, safety ratings"

Cons: "nothing"

"I grew up in a household that only bought other makes and models (chevy,japanese). I love my Ford! I am extremely happy that I choose the Focus over the Corolla and Civic. I believe that Ford has been doing their 100%!! If you are interested in a Ford, GO DRIVE ONE! They drive great! Oh, and by the way its GREAT in the snow!"

Love it to the max.

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Smooth ride, quiet, Design, Quality"

Cons: "transmission is unique, and patience is needed."

"A very nimble road feel, but long wheelbase and suspension feels smooth and quiet on rough roads. Very fast pickup when needed, and 6 spd Automatic Transmission is great and smooth shifting. Easy/Fun to drive in all kinds of traffic. With only 2000 mi driven mine is getting MPG as advertised. Paint and trim quality very high, perfect. "Feels" as good as '98 Honda Prelude I once had. I am impressed with the Pricing, a great deal $ !"

'12 Focus SEL Sedan w/Auto...in love with this car

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Appearance, options, seats, high-quality interior"

Cons: "Learning curve on auto-tranny but love it now"

"Brought my 2009 Focus (75,000 miles) into local dealer for scheduled maintenance at end of February, decided to poke around the lot. Found a black (new & unsold) 2012 model SEL sedan with almost every conceivable option short of keyless ignition and rain-sensing wipers. Otherwise had it all: leather, MyTouch, Sync, moonroof, 6-spd auto w/toggle shift, 17" magnesium lookalikes, rearview camera, prox sensors, mood lighting, top-end Sony audio w/subwoofer, fogs, auto-park. Sticker asked $25,680(honestly worthwhile for all the equipment), left with the car after having paid a shade over $18,000...including extended bumper-to-bumper (i drive a LOT). Only concern I had in first few days was the transmission when in "D", which seemed "creaky", as if it couldn't make up it's mind on what to do next. But as I spent more time in it, I learned the nuances. It wants to be as fuel efficient as possible, requiring a rethinking of sorts about the way you would normally drive an automatic. Becomes second nature rather quickly, and it's kinda cool considering all of that technology at play. Want to have fun? Throw it into the sport mode and hang on. Superb handling, crisp shifts. A good time in every drive, and it looks terrific."

Love it

By on Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, great looks, SYNC, Sport seats"

Cons: "Rear space, A-pillar blind spots"

"Have had this car about 6 months now. I'm leasing it for 2 years. The reason I bought this car vs. another competitor is because of the way it drives. It is much more fun than its compact car competitors. I'd recommend getting SYNC. One feature I love is I can hit a button on the steering wheel, say "Call Wife" and the car will automatically dial my wife (confirm if it didn't understand), and I'm talking to my wife through the car. All the while, both of my hands were on the steering wheel (or shifter). I would not recommend the sedan if you need to carry a lot of cargo. The trunk is roomy enough for most trips, but bulky items will not fit well. Go for the hatch if you need more room. I chose not to because I like the sedan's lines better. I would not recommend the Focus if you often need to use the backseat for adults. It is plenty big for children and the occasional passengers, but rear legroom is bottom tier for the compact segment."

Wow !! Great Car

By on Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pros: "So Impressed with this new car !"

Cons: "None so far"

"To anyone looking for a Compact Car, this is the one you want. Mine is SE with Sport Pkg, heated seats, etc. Everything is 1st Class, especailly the ride and handling. I did a quyick trip on freeway got over 38 MPG, on avery hot day !! One of the best things about the Car is it's looks, it is a grabber, even people in BMW's give a second look, propably because it looks like a European Car, mainly an Audi A-3."

Great little fast car!

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Power, and looks."

Cons: "None."

"I have never owned a compact car before but wanted somthing that is good on fuel but also fun to drive. So, I bought a 2014 Ford Focus St. So far this car has not let me down. It is really fun to drive and gives me great gas mileage. I get an average of 25 mpg and that's with hard driving. This car just loves the curves. I really can't find anything wrong with this car at all."

A very good car for commuters

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system, no cheap feel."

Cons: "Lack of storage, a little pricey for a compact car"

"I commute 45 miles each way to work. I needed a car that would get good mileage and be comfortable to sit in for extended periods. The Focus is both of these and much more. I am currently averaging 37 mpg (3 fill ups so far). The front seats are very comfortable, but the driver seat lacks an adjustable lumbar support (in the SE version I own). I use a small towel roll to make up the difference. The car has plenty of power, accelerating and shifting smoothly. The audio system (6 speaker with SIRIUS) is more than adequate for the average audiophile, reproducing wonderful sound. The hand controls on the steering wheel were confusing at first, but now are very convenient and intuitive. The only ammenity that I find lacking in this car is the absence of "cubbies." I have no real good place to put all of my... goodies. The glove box is very spacious. The center console is smallish. The cup holders in front are smallish. The door panels seem to have adequate space. But that is it. Can I live with this small flaw? Absolutely. It the car a blast to drive? You're darn tootin' it is. It handles corners like more expensive BMW's or VW's. It feels substancial and refined, yet nimble. Nothing about this car seems cheep or poorly made. The two words I can say: Buy one!"

Fun and affordable

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "fair price and a comfortable ride"

Cons: "sync can be difficult to use if no one shows you"

"I've had my focus for the last 7 months. I am a single guy and it has been a great car so far. Very comfortable, fun and affordable. I achieved 40 mpg on my way to San Fransico, with 3 other people in the car. They mentioned that they were comfortable as well and thats almost a 600 mile round-trip. Overall I am impressed with the quality, the quietness and efficiency of the vehicle."

Good vehicle - good value - good gas mileage

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "good value, good gas mileage, good ride"

Cons: "back leg room, cup holders, dash storage"

"My wife and I bought the 4 dr sedan model without all the bells and whistles several months ago with just basic options. Paid extra for the more fuel efficient model. We also got the tan interior (still has some black and gray in it), we didn't want black and were tired of gray. We chose this car after looking at Toyotas, Nissans, Subarus, and Hyundais. This car was more reasonably priced except for the Hyundai Elantra which beat it. The Elantra beat out the Focus in my mind for value with more bells and whistles being standard, and a much better warranty but we do not have a Hyundai dealer close by (nearest is an hour away) so the Ford won out. So far we have been pleased with the car overall. The ride is smooth, it is much quieter inside than our last car which was in the same class. Pros: Smooth and quiet ride - trunk has good space - front and back seats are comfortable good leg room in the front radio/clock controls different but not hard to use - controls on the steering wheel for radio and digital information readout are convenient - price was less expensive than most other cars in this class - gas mileage around town has been great - 31.2 miles per gallon our highest so far (no trips on open highway miles yet to check that) - enjoyable to drive easy to see spot mirrows on the outside mirrors - body styling - less expensive 16 inch tires instead of the bigger more expensive tires found on other models - good interior and instrument lighting Cons: Not much leg room in the back seat - adio/clock controls take up so much space - standard radio okay but could be better soundwise - no storage space in middle of dash/console like other cars we've had - cup holders in front console too close together for large fast-food cups to fit without hitting each other - cup holders in back built into door - won't take anything but small cup - are awkward - automatic transmission is jerky at times when in low gear - when you start adding on options this car can be pretty expensive - no light for ignition switch We like this car but the cons I've listed make us wonder if we should have bought the Elantra instead. If Ford would improve the things I listed above and make some of the additional options standard and icreased the warranty this car could have taken the Car of the Year Award and would sell like hotcakes. Overall we would recomment this car if you are looking for one is this class."

Great with the manual transmission

By on Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, good fuel economy"

Cons: "rear leg room, folding of rear seats"

"We have the SE sports package sedan with 5 spd manual transmission. The stick shift is sweet. I have been driving manuals for 30 years and this is probably better than any. The car handles superbly! Fuel economy has been very good as we don't drive over 70 mph. 38 highway,34 mixed driving . We love the styling of the interior and exterior; however, improvements can be made for comfort. The rear seat room needs a couple of inches more. I am tall and though there is ample legroom for the driver, the center console juts in a little too much for right knee comfort. Also the rear headrests should fold in so that the rear seat can fold properly. Overall so far, we love this car. We think it was an excellent value!"

Perfect car for a young person starting out.

By on Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pros: "great price, great size, chic, handles well"

"I have been leasing my 2013 Focus since October of last year (2012). I love it! It's a perfect size for me, I don't have kids or anything but it gets me where I'm going (class, work, gym, etc.). The car has been on three road trips now and always does great. I usually get about 28mpg in the city and about 32mpg on the highway; it's a smaller tank than my previous car but I can go longer without filling up. I love the center console for cds, sunglasses, pens, etc not to mention you can plug in an mp3. It's great to be able to sync your phone and be able to make calls hands free. There are plenty of cup holders, the trunk is spacious, and I love the how the side mirrors have the inserted second mirror that make changing lanes much easier (good bye blind spot). I could see how this car might be a little small for someone with a family, I know it would have been too small for mine when I was a kid. But for me, a recent college grad, it is the perfect size. I genuinely love this car and have not had a single problem with it."

This Is The Ultimate Pocket Rocket!!!

By on Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pros: "SYNC, Styling, Recaros, Controlled Power, HIDs."

Cons: "Lacks Back-Up Camera, Small 12-Gallon Fuel Tank."

"I absolutely love this car! I bought a Tuxedo Black initially, but was really in love with the signature Tangerine Scream color... even though it is a little loud and showy. After racking up 6 months and 11,000 miles on the Tuxedo Black I traded it for the current. This car has nearly everything you could dream of. It's perfect for the tech-types, the racer-types, and it unique and refined enough for the semi-older driver who needs an economical play toy with a little zest under the hood. The pros are so plentiful that I could not begin the list... but the brakes are phenomenal from a safety standpoint. The only con is that there is the lack of a back-up camera, and the rear seating area is tight. Also, if you are much over 200 lbs or have wide hips, the wonderfully comfortable Recaro seats will feel a little... "confining." The racing suspension makes for rather unforgiving jolts on city streets but it very nimble and smooth on highways. Of course, if you wanted the ride of a Lincoln you'd be researching that car and not this little lightning bolt. :) This car is absolutely the one to pick if you're also considering the pricier Mazda, Subaru or Volkswagon competition. I guarantee you're gonna love the Ford. Happy Hunting!"

Focus SFE: Peformance, Economy, MPG

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

Pros: "Performance, economy"

Cons: "Could use more cubbies, foglights"

"We purchased a 2013 Ford Focus SFE in late September 2012. The Focus SFE (Super Fuel Economy) is a Focus SE Sedan with addition of the optional SFE package. The SFE package adds aerodynamic flat wheel covers and steel wheels, aerodynamic rear deck spoiler, disc brakes on all four wheels and SFE badge on the trunk. The discs brakes are a big improvement over the SE (disc front/drums rear). These brakes stop very well. SFE MPG is 28/33/40. We get better than 33 MPG for most driving and got 42 MPG on a recent 70-mile trip. SFE gets 2 MPG better fuel efficiency than the Focus SE. That may not sound like a lot but it adds up. The 2 MPG equals 28 more miles per tank of gas. Needless to say, with gas prices approaching $5 per gallon in California we are very happy we chose the Focus SFE. The car has run beautifully. No problems at all. The DCT (automatic transmission) shifts smoothly all of the time. The transmission has a nifty hill-holding feature and a switch on the side of the gear selector knob for shifting to a lower gear range: useful for driving on grades. The 160 HP 2.0L engine is big enough to get great gas mileage at 65 MPH and small enough to get good mileage at city speeds. The Focus 2.0L accelerates very well. I suspect it gets better MPG at 65-70 MPH than cars with the smaller 1.4-1.8L turbo engines. Materials and workmanship was the best in this class. We started test driving the competition in July and we tried most of them. We looked for the best high-MPG compact sedan under $20K. For us it is the Focus SFE. The Focus has a comfortable and quiet ride. The suspension is just firm enough for excellent handling. SYNC works well with our Bluetooth smart phones. The weekend after we bought this car we spent an hour sitting in it while parked in the driveway. We were leafing through the Driver's Manual to learn all of the electronic or computerized features on this little beast. It's a fun car. How could this car be better? Maybe some more storage cubbies inside and include fog lights with the SFE package. This are minor considerations, though. We are very happy with the Focus SFE, both on the road and at the gas pump."

Stay Away From This Car

By on Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pros: "Styling is dead on, Lot's of features for price"

Cons: "Transmission has issues that Ford won't resolve."

"I purchased this 2012 Focus about 3 weeks ago and while it drove nice off the dealer lot after it warmed up and during city driving the car began to shudder when taking off from a stop. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the shudder I was feeling, They contacted Ford and they stated it was normal. How many of you would care to purchase a car that shudders when taking off from a stop and then would you consider it normal? I talked to Ford Customer Service and that was just a waste of a phone call. In a time when we really have to pinch our pennies it just shock's me that a company such as Ford would not offer any assistance to the customer. There is also issues on some with the electronic power steering and people are finding they have to fight hard to get these vehicles fixed. As a new potential owner do you really want to take a chance and hope that you get a good one? Ford stated that thes issues are isloated incidents but yet they turn right around and say it is normal. How can something be a isloated incident and normal at the same time? Ford has lost my business and while this car is very nice in the looks and style department if you have issues after 2 days off the lot and they refuse to fix it I doubt it is really worth owning."

Fun to drive, great gas mileage

By on Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Would like to see a 2.3L 4 cyl. offered"

"Fun to drive, great gas mileage, good styling"

Great car for commuting and for road trips!

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "affordable, good mileage, big trunk, stylish, fun to drive"

Cons: "needs a little more room in the backseat, SYNC needs a hearing aid"

"I bought this car for commuting, then found I like to drive it on the weekends also. My wife likes to drive it and I've received many positive compliments from others who see it and admire it. I thought it would get good mileage and I was right. I has been averaging 34 MPG during some bad commute days - two hours each way every work day. It has nice features and a few little quirks. The transmission makes a little noise when shifting at low speeds, but no problems on the freeway. The interior is nice, but a little cramped for adults in the back seat. The trunk is HUGE. The styling is nice. SYNC needs a little work to understand commands - especially when there is road noise. Also, the turn-by-turn navigation just can't keep up when downtown or driving near high-rise buildings -- all minor stuff overall."

Not a fun car to drive

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Pros: "Good pep for a four cylinder."

Cons: "Transmission is a big issue"

"The dual clutch transmission has given me fits. The car has a jerking motion in stop and go traffic which can be very scary at times. I've had the car in for this problem six times. The software is re-flashed and I'm told to give it about a 1,000 miles so the car can learn my driving habits. Obviously the car is not to smart since it still has not learned my driving habits. The dealership now tells me the jerking motion is normal. This would have been nice to know before I bought the car. This is a vehicle to stay away from. No one should have to drive a car with the problem I've encountered."

My Touch makes life EASY

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "Great technology. Fun to Drive. Great fuel economy."

Cons: "needs more storage nooks for devices in the front."

"A lot of people have made negative comments about the Ford My Touch system. After owning the system for 5,000 miles. I have a very different opinion. Every review I have read has missed the whole point of this system. The 8.5 inch touch screen is the SECONDARY way to control things. The PRIMARY way is to use your VOICE. With out taking your hands off of the wheel, you have complete control of the radio, climate control, your phone and nav if you have it. On a typical car, if you are listening to station 10 on Sirius and you want to switch to 117, you have to punch in the numbers or spin a knob. With My Touch, I just say, "117". While the back seat is tight, the front is not cramped at all. It feels like one of the widest cars in its class. My only quibble is that the dual clutch trans is clearly programmed biased toward fuel economy and can be slow to downshift sometimes."