• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2012 Ford Focus

7.4

Based on 295 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10

Fun rating = 10+

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Great performance for the money."

Cons: "Too tempting to ignore speed limits."

"Definitely a driver's car. Not recommended for teenagers."

Great car, but a few major issues.

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Reason: Moved back to area where I needed 4 wheel drive, had some issues with Focus.

Pros: "A lot for the price, luxurious interior for Ford"

Cons: "Clutch issues ruin everything else"

"Ford did a great job with the redesign of the Focus in 2012. The car comes with options of a ton of great technology that other competitors at the price do not offer and driving the car is pure fun. Not to mention, it gets great gas mileage. I was always shocked at how good my mpgs were! However, because this engine was redesigned in 2012, the clutch is plagued with issues. I even had it replaced under warranty (with the same clutch by Ford) and it did nothing to fix the grinding noises and junting that happens when the car switches gears (I drive an automatic). It makes you think something is wrong with the car even though Ford claims it is not. Something is wrong. It also vibrates when idling and Ford claims there is no fix for these issues. All the little things about this car are great, but Ford messed up with the design of this engine. I finally gave in and went back to owning a BMW because I knew they would never put a clutch in a vehicle that could not be fixed. The value of this vehicle also depreciated greatly compared to other car brands over a two year period."

runs great

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

"The focus gets good MPG, is very smooth, quiet and roomy. The engine is very strong and so far the dual clutch transmission has been great...it definitely looks, feels and drives like a European car. I like the capless gas tank filler too...I bought the s automatic model for 14,925.00 total out the door price. Assembled in Michigan too...I only buy domestic cars assembled in us. This is my eighth new GM or Ford and they have all run good. Chrysler makes some very good vehicles too"

Engine and transmission issues

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, comfy to drive"

Cons: "not reliable, in and out of the shop"

"I bought this car used two years ago as a lease return at 20,000 miles. It had a great price and a warranty and I was thrilled. I had some minor electrical issues with interior lights almost immediately, but these were covered under the warranty. The transmission shudders, as do all new focus transmissions. The dealership reset the transmission and it seemed a little better, but still not great. In the sport setting, the shudder is worse and it shifts erratically. At about 54,000 miles, the Ford dealership told me I had a rear main seal leak. As I understand it, that's not normal in a two year old car. They fixed the problem, again under warranty. At just under 60,000 miles, almost the end of my powertrain warranty, the dealership said I had another oil leak. They took my car apart to find it was a transmission fluid leak and that had to replace my dead clutch and do an "overhaul" of the transmission. Again, it was covered. That same week, my coworker with a 2012 focus also needed a new clutch and transmission repair. Her car has 40,000 miles. My warranty is now done, and I've had the engine and gearbox out twice in six months. I bought a nearly new car hoping for reliability, but that hasn't been the case..."

Buy if you're single, stay away if you have a fam

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas milage"

Cons: "Half second hesitation on fast acceleration"

"I'm a single guy so backseats with little room doesn't bother me. From the drivers seat my experience is that this is a fun car to drive. It doesn't have a bad transmission, it has a unique transmission. If you go to gun it it WILL have a half second delay, so you have to "call" your two lane highway passes. It has stiff (wanna-be) sporty shocks so some people don't like that. Some people don't like that the transmission isn't like every other car on the road. I love it! It's a good car, I have reliability a 7 because I've heard that the transmission fails very fast, and that's the only thing that worries me. Also the reason for the 8 on quality. It's not like driving a cloud because of the "sporty" shocks. Other than that I don't regret my purchase."