2003 Ford Focus

7.8

Based on 2019 Ratings for the 2000 - 2007 models.

Great car

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"Have put over 90,000 miles on it since purchasing it. Rides and handles well. No issues other than AC compressor failure."

Fuel Efficient, Comfortable, Gets Me There

By on Monday, August 5, 2013

Pros: "Fuel efficient, affordable, roomy for its size!"

Cons: "No line-in capability in this 2007 model"

"The Ford Focus was my first car (since 15) and I still love it. It's fuel efficient, comfortable, has plenty of room for my front and back seat passengers, and gets me where I need to go. The Ford Focus series is still very affordable and definitely saves me money when it comes to fuel. Although my Focus is not one of the top of the line trim levels, I love it and have very few problems with it (more or so fluke things, like a button that stuck or a light going out. Little stuff that's easy and affordable to fix), not to mention, up here in North Dakota, our weather is crazy, and this little car has done great through our winters and rarely gets stuck and always starts right up. I highly recommend the Ford Focus for a first car for your teenager, or a smart family purchase. I always feel safe in my Focus, it fits into small parking spots (which rocks!) and is easy to maneuver in town and on the high way. I will certainly be looking into buying another new Focus when I am in need of a new vehicle or the time comes for an upgrade :)"

very good vehicle. Poor Dealership

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"leg room minimal otherwise comfortable for tall (6.3 ft.) young adult child. One recall honored with few repairs needed, holds the road well, easy and inexpensive to maintain. Very happy with performance not so with cosmetics. Within a year rust shows on the under carriage even with the Rusty Jones treatment and console between front bucket seats broken. Difficulty wiith dealership to remedy problems appropriately."

Best car I've ever had

By on Friday, July 5, 2013

Pros: "low maintenance, huge hatch back, totally reliable"

Cons: "no air conditioning"

"I bought my Focus off a Ford lot, new, floor model. It had no air conditioning and roll up windows, but I didn't care. The price was great and I heard the car was too. I did not have to go to a shop for NINE YEARS because nothing ever went wrong with it. I maintained it well, on schedule, etc. Then, only minor things. Recently I had to put a new clutch in and it needs new brakes, but that's it! It gets great gas milage, turns on a dime, has great power for such a small car and a ton of storage room with the back seats down. Seriously. I fit huge furniture in there and things that people thought I could never get in there....This car has been awesome. I hope the new focuses are as reliable. I am buying a new car cuz I need air conditioning at this point. LOVE THE 2003 FORD FOCUS!"

Good On Gas - Bad Longevitiy

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "good on gas, plenty of engine power."

Cons: "low quality parts used to build vehicle."

"I get up to 23 mpg in town and up to 31 mpg hwy. I am short and love the tiny little car, my fiance is over six feet tall and is a sardine in my car. It has low-profile tires that I do not like, they blow out very easily. It has a zippy little engine with plenty of get-up-and go power. The moon roof is also fabulous! Odd things started to nickel and dime me at about 40k (I purchased it at 14k). The front axle was replaced and needs to be done again. The intake manifold sensor was replaced. at about 60K the wipers started to freeze up in mid-swipe, I have to keep tapping the handle to make the full swipe now. The is less room in the hatch-trunk than I expected. I also have a noise coming from the back end recently which needs to be looked at. The power steering pump is going out also. I have kept regular maintenance on this vehicle, I just think the cheap parts it was build with were not meant to last."

I love my 2002 Ford Focus- UPKEEP IMPORTANT

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "great price, affordable maintenance, easy drive"

Cons: "Paint scratches easy, lack of space"

"I got my car back in 2007 when I graduated high school. I wanted a car that is easy/inexpensive to fix, affordable on gas, and reliable. When I purchased this car, the dealer told me all I need to do is keep up with oil changes and maintenance and it will run like a gem- Probably the best advice! This car has been reliable and I have noticed a lot of perks! 1. It is easy to drive 2. Good vision 3. Affordable to service 4. Spacious trunk 5. Easy to clean 6. It's really easy to get used parts for it (such as a door mirror- had to have replaced before) 7. Break-in lock system (shuts off whole system when car locks) except for cigarette lighter/charging port 8. You absolutely cannot break into the car without breaking the window or wedging the door and unlocking it somehow (so always have a spare key- Jimmy sticks don't work) 9. I can charge my phone in my car after turning it off There are a few things that I don't like about this car as well: 1. Paint scratches EASILY 2. Back seat doors don't open very wide 3. Back seats don't have very much leg room 4. Glove compartment does not have a lock on it (I have my GPS and have never had any issues but I would still like this feature) 5. A lot of the features are made with plastic (armrest compartment latch is flimsy- mine has broken) Overall this car is a great college/after high school car and the Pro's totally outweigh the con's of my awesome car! P.S. If you find a video on youtube on a repair, you could either do it yourself or bargain with a auto-repair shop because you will know how long it will take and what it will cost, etc."

I Love this car, best car I have owned yet.

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, cute, sporty little car."

Cons: "Not good to haul a boat or travel trailer."

"I don't put many miles on my car in a year, but this car is a champ. Excellent on gas and great for getting around in busy traffic and easy to park. I have the bright yellow model, and I never lose my car in the parking lot at the mall anymore! Good on the highway and great space to haul groceries, pets, or even patio furniture! I am thinking of selling it instead of trading when I buy a different car, but I will miss my little yellow beauty! I would definitely consider purchasing another Ford Focus. Value and Reliability."

Solid Commuter Vehicle

By on Saturday, September 1, 2007

"this is the third Ford Focus owned. All three have been extremely depending and offer comfort, great handling, and good gas mileage around town. I do a great deal of commuting and in-town travel and this car is very well-suited. If reliability and value are what you're after...this is the one."

great car even got one for my daughter

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"great car for the money good pep reliable affordable only complaint is the wear of brakes but that seems to be a ford issue in general. This is the third focus i have purchased and would not hesitate to purchase another."

Best Commuting Car I've Had

By on Monday, April 7, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, gas mileage and motor longevity."

Cons: "Manual windows (LX, duh), not much pickup."

"I bought this car 6 months ago with 175,000 for $1500. I feel like I got the best deal! I drive this car 100 miles a day and I plan to do so until this little car can't go anymore. I find myself pricing newer Foci all the time! When this car doesn't run anymore I am DEFINITELY getting a newer one! I love this car even if it doesn't have all the creature comforts of a 2010+ model year. I get great gas mileage (only $35 to fill up!) I get ~335 miles per tank. I wish they made this car in a v6, because the only thing I don't like is the pick up power. There isn't much. :)"

This car is so reliable and it just keeps on going

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "affordle, reliable, good on gas, strong built,fast"

Cons: "has small emision leak, doesnt effect driving"

"I got a good deal on my 2001 zts focus because it had 240000 miles when I bought it. I was skeptical at first but when I test drove it surprisingly checked out, even with such high miles. This car did not even have a rebuild on the engine or tranny, everything is all original on the engine and tranny. And proud to say I am still driving it and have been for over a year now and It has reached up to 270000 miles now and still going strong. Never left me stranded. In fact when I first bought it I just did a really good tune up on it and I took it on an 11 hour drive and it did absolutely great, with no problems."

Great carf

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "small inside, no place for your purse"

"This car has the bigger engine (2.3) so has great power. It drives like a sports car. It's been very dependable and economical. I would buy one again."

Love my ford!

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Lots of power for a little car"

Cons: "Cramped when in back"

"I love this car! I have never had any major issues just wear and tear maintenance such as; changing oil, brakes and the battery after many years. It was brand new when I got it, it just got off the truck and had 12 miles on it after the test drive. The only thing that is a bummer I need to get a new clutch soon after 9 years. It has never broken down or anything on me and has been super reliable."

Best car Ive ever owned!

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "Great price, sooooo reliable, I love the style"

Cons: "Kindof uncomfortable so you have to get used to it"

"I bought this car a year ago, I am a young college student that drives frequently, over 60 miles a day and my car is perfect! Nothing has ever ever gone wrong with it! All I need is the oil change and my car is up and ready to go. The only kind of bad thing is it's kind of uncomfortable you have to get used to it & it rattles very easily. My side view mirrors shake when Im parked, and my window handle broke while I was rolling the windows down, but other than that this car is absolutely perfect!"

Economical, stylish, perfect car for the wallet!

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pros: "Price, Fuel Economy, Quick, Roomy Interior"

Cons: "Noisy inside cabin, small glovebox"

"I bought the car April 2011 and have loved the car ever since. It was a great value to buy, fuel economy is excellent and I get 30 MPG. Nothing has gone wrong with the car since I purchased it, reliability is excellent and has impressed me greatly. My only gripe is the engine bay is not well-insulated so there is more engine noise in the cabin that I would like. This is my only complaint, however. I own a ZX4 S so it is the basic model, no bells and whistles, so if you are looking for luxury then this is the wrong place to look. For the money, however, it has all you need. Great car for the budget-conscious. Styling is also impressive, it won't turn lots of heads but it also won't make you recoil in horror. For a compact sedan it has good trunk space, steering is responsive and gives good feedback, and all round I would certainly recommend this car to anyone looking for a wallet-friendly car."

GREAT LITTLE CAR VERY DEPENDABLE LOVE IT

By on Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE AND ECONOMICAL"

"THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST CARS I HAVE EVER OWNED. IT IS VERY ATTRACTIVE, EASY TO DRIVE, ECONOMICAL AND EXTREMELY DEPENDABLE. IT WILL BE EIGHT YEARS OLD IN AUGUST AND I HAVE HAD TO DO VERY LITTLE MAINTENANCE OTHER THAN OIL CHANGES AND NEW TIRES. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT"

Good value

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "value, handling, relieability"

Cons: "Seats uncomfortable, mirrow don't fold, more power"

"great car for the money. I bought mine with 36,000 and have put over 100,000 miles on it. I have had it for 8 years. I have had to do some mechanical work but that didn't really start until it reached 100k. - new master cylinder about $150, new coil pack $60, new head gasket, $30. Then it has just been the maintenance, tires, fluid, brakes etc. This car does seem to go through tires fairly quick- I think it is a pretty normal trait of the focus. I do not find the front seats comfortable for long trips but overall it has held up great, has been cheap to run, handles sharply, and has been a great car."

My hubby (and I) own this car!!

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "Great price, super fun to drive, versatile, awesome gas mileage"

Cons: "a little bit cheap on the interior..."

"My husband bought this car new with only 8 miles on it. He has put this car through more than you can imagine. It is a 5-speed manual and was driving for 9 years to commute in SF bay area traffic...and used as a small pick-up truck. He has hauled 2 Pontiac 400 engine blocks, front end from a Firebird, and many, many trips to Home Depot for a complete remodel of our home :) Oh and it is super fun to drive! I cannot tell you how versatile this car is! I recommend this car to everyone who wants a little work-horse of a car!"

Great First Car

By on Sunday, August 14, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive; drives well in snow"

Cons: "can't think of any!"

"Gets great mileage; driver seat is very comfortable; have had usual maintenance and no serious repair problems. As a 2002 model, this would be a great first car for a new driver."

06 Focus

By on Monday, March 15, 2010

"I never intended to buy this car, but I was so impressed with the handling and power and the zero APR financing, I bought it. 4 years later, I have had zero problems with it. This car has been nothing but a pleasure. It's not the most stylish thing on the planet, but that's fine. It was inexpensive and it continues to perform. I am a Ford fan, where I never was before. This is a straight up dependable and fun little car."

SVT is buggy

By on Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"I bought this car at 60,000 miles. It was awesome, went fast, cornered faster, got okay mileage. One of the funnest cars to drive ever. Then it hit 80,000 miles and stuff started breaking. Since 80,000 miles, I have done approximately 3,000$ worth of repairs to it (most under warranty). It now has a mysterious electrical bug that Ford cannot figure out after being brought in for the same issue 6 times. It idles really weird, sometimes stalling and gets really cruddy gas mileage (around 15mpg). It now has 90,000 miles and I have lost all hope of fixing it. While it is seriously one of the funnest cars to drive, it is no longer worth it for me to pay "hot rod" insurance for a car that spends every other weekend at the dealership being fixed. I took really good care of it too. :( If you can get one with low miles, go for it. It's seriously awesome. But for an older one, parts are really expensive (500$ just for stock brake pads and rotors). And that check engine light just won't go away."

04 SVT w/Euro Appearance Package.

By on Monday, August 25, 2008

"Well, I'm on my third Focus now. First met a grim demise in a gravel-strewn corner, but I walked away. Second was a champ for 35k (bought it at 80k) before I started looking for something "more". Well, I'm a pretty broke college student. I wanted fun, comfort, style, and more speed, typical of my demographic. But the Zetec 4cyl just wasn't quite enough. I shopped around, tried at '03 MkIV GTI, but it wasn't efficient enough, and just didn't have the "it" factor. I tried the 04 Civic SI, and was immediately turned off by the console mounted shifter. Then I saw a 2004 SVT Focus with the Euro Package sitting on a lot. One test drive and a few hours of paperwork, it was mine. Its fast (only marginally slower that the newest Civic SI), handles amazingly (almost completely neutral with just a bit of understeer that comes on predictably at the limit), and has some of the most comfortable seats I've ever been in (the Euro package comes with leather Recaros). The reliability has been great, I've owned this particular one for about 10k miles and haven't had anything break on me yet (bought it at 65k), and my drive home from work is a 7 mile canyon that I take at about 8/10ths... I don't baby it, and it only seems to run stronger the harder I go. If you want a car with all the fixings without the hefty price tag, get one of these, its got heated seats, heated mirrors, HID headlamps, a moon roof, a great sound system, traction control, 4-wheel disc brakes, and a full leather interior, not to mention all the good stuff under the hood. Dont get me wrong, its no BMW, the fit and finish on the dash and center console is average, and the choice of materials could be better. Also, the wind noise suppression could be better. If you buy one expecting an econobox on steroids, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that its more than that , as it performs, looks, and feels better than just about anything in its class."

Great car for the money

By on Thursday, September 6, 2007

"This has been an excellent vehicle considering the cost. We purchased it around 20k miles ago (it has 90K on it total) and haven't had any trouble out of it to date. That said, it is a small car. Don't recommend it for those with children in car seats. We are going to part with it because we have a baby now who's car seat doesn't allow a comfortable sitting area in the front seats once it is installed in the back seat."

Good 1st timer car

By on Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pros: "good looking. Good handling. Easy to park"

Cons: "electronics, engine noise is loud."

"Bought an 04 focus ZTS for my son who is learning to drive. Safety and reliability were tops on my list. I figured he could burn out the clutch on this instead of learning on my Audi (the clutch costs more than we paid for the focus) Im pretty happy with our choice. Understated, but a car he can be happy to be seen in, easy to drive, good on gas. Electronics issues are plaguing us, but I figure he can drive it into the ground and not waste a fortune."

One of the best Fords out there

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, great gas mileage, easy to maintain"

Cons: "Small trunk, back seats snug if you're tall"

"Great gas milage, I get 36hwy easily and sometimes more if I'm doing long distance driving. Driver seat is pretty comfortable and easy to find a sweet spot for comfortable driving. Back is a little snug if you're tall and the front seats are pushed all the way back. Cons: if you have large packages it's either difficult to get into back seat or trunk or they won't go in at all. Not fond of the trunk opening, it should be longer by about 6". Back seats don't fold perfectly flat. Maintenance: easy to maintain, good on gas, easy to find parts. Turns like a champ. Would keep this car but having to trade it in because new job requires I use a small SUV (Jeep Liberty is my new one)."